Deceased Before Delivery - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 05:36 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
$2,000 is a normal deposit for a special order Corvette.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:50 PM
Steeveau
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

I exchanged a couple of calls with the general sales manager today. I asked him to reconsider his offer of $15k and to do the right thing and refund the full $20k. He came back upping the offer from $15k to $18k. He claims they will have a holding cost due to a 4.5% interest rate. They don't anticipate selling the car until late spring/early summer. They claim the $20k deposit was my step-father's idea. There is no contract from what I understand only a receipt. At this point I think we'll take the $18k and move on. I still have a 2015 Ford F-150 Platinum and a house to sell. We now just need to figure out who they write the check to and what paperwork is required.

I really do appreciate the replies here. You all probably saved me $3k. Thank you for your advice and condolences.
The following 9 users liked this post by Steeveau:
AORoads (12-07-2017), Crossed Flags Fan (12-08-2017), DWS44 (12-07-2017), Gonzo (12-07-2017), jimmie jam (12-08-2017), jschindler (12-08-2017), RipcordZ51 (12-08-2017), Skid Row Joe (12-07-2017), VetteDrmr (12-09-2017) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-07-2017, 06:25 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,144 Likes on 2,245 Posts

Originally Posted by Steeveau
I exchanged a couple of calls with the general sales manager today. I asked him to reconsider his offer of $15k and to do the right thing and refund the full $20k. He came back upping the offer from $15k to $18k. He claims they will have a holding cost due to a 4.5% interest rate. They don't anticipate selling the car until late spring/early summer. They claim the $20k deposit was my step-father's idea. There is no contract from what I understand only a receipt. At this point I think we'll take the $18k and move on. I still have a 2015 Ford F-150 Platinum and a house to sell. We now just need to figure out who they write the check to and what paperwork is required.

I really do appreciate the replies here. You all probably saved me $3k. Thank you for your advice and condolences.
Take the $18K and move on.

All the best.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:36 PM
Srebbietoo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every dealers paperwork when you order a new car has terms for canceling a car that is built to spec. Have your estate attorney review the docs and get his opinion. Personally I would take the $15k and not run up a big legal bill which will, more than likely, top $5k if you fight it.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:32 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,202 Likes on 3,451 Posts

Jeeez, talk to your lawyer... not us.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:18 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I think the $18K is more than fair!!!
Old 12-07-2017, 09:32 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,495 Likes on 1,892 Posts

I’m sorry, not trying to be difficult or argue with anyone, but I don’t understand how anything less then a full refund is fair or legal. The client has passed away before the transaction was completed. This is not by choice. As a business owner myself, I know in my line of work this is simply known as a cost of doing business, that simple. If you cannot complete the transaction due to death, you can’t hold the family responsible for a contract that the deceased signed. Not only is that the right (and legal in my world) thing to do, but that’s also the ethical thing to do.
The following users liked this post:
ElGreco53 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 09:52 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

He accepted $18k. Arguing is done.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:53 PM
bsedwebt
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

What dealer is this? I want to avoid it at all costs in the future and I am sure everyone else will too....
Old 12-07-2017, 09:56 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

I think the offer is fair, it is a lose lose lose situation. I hope the 2k is not an overwhelming loss, and that the comfort of not having a fight on your hands is worth the loss. My condolences on your loss, it is a terrible loss. 2k hopefully is not such a big loss.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:37 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Considering the circumstances, this was a prudent decision. Sorry for your loss.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:24 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Thanks for coming back on and giving us the conclusion to the matter. If it's right for you and the family, I think we'll have no argument. I won't. You are probably going to have many more matters to be concerned with. I, too, have been thru a couple or so executor-ships. No fun, seldom easy, and fraught with issues that pop up.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:37 AM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Why dont youbask the dealer if they want to buy the f150 from you?
Old 12-08-2017, 05:53 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie Chan
Why dont youbask the dealer if they want to buy the f150 from you?
They've already screwed him once, no need for him to be screwed a second time
Old 12-08-2017, 07:24 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ls3zob
I’m sorry, not trying to be difficult or argue with anyone, but I don’t understand how anything less then a full refund is fair or legal. The client has passed away before the transaction was completed. This is not by choice. As a business owner myself, I know in my line of work this is simply known as a cost of doing business, that simple. If you cannot complete the transaction due to death, you can’t hold the family responsible for a contract that the deceased signed. Not only is that the right (and legal in my world) thing to do, but that’s also the ethical thing to do.
I agree. At this point I don't blame the OP for taking the $18,000, but it's something I would always hold against the ownership of the dealer. Those owners typically live VERY well....I have gotten to know a few owners. I will always consider it a chicken sh$t move on their part.

Last edited by jschindler; 12-08-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:29 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo
I think the offer is fair, it is a lose lose lose situation. I hope the 2k is not an overwhelming loss, and that the comfort of not having a fight on your hands is worth the loss. My condolences on your loss, it is a terrible loss. 2k hopefully is not such a big loss.
Exactly why I blame the dealer. $2,000 is not such a big loss. The dealer could have taken it just as easily and look at it as a marketing expense. I would like to think the owner gives more than that to charitable causes.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:50 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

The dealer just made ANOTHER 2k. They are still going to sell the car. Its not like they have distressed merchandise. I guess its easy to throw away money when its not yours.
The following users liked this post:
C6_Racer_X (12-08-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Deceased Before Delivery - Need Advice

Old 12-08-2017, 07:53 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Daniel Libutti
Sorry for your families loss. Good luck with the refund.
My thoughts too. I would consult with a lawyer
Old 12-08-2017, 08:37 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

If you're happy with that, it's your life. I wouldn't be.

If the Corvette is never built to the order, there will be zero "holding costs." I'd make at least one phone call to Bowling Green and try to get it stopped today. I'm pretty sure GM values their reputation more than this dealership you're arguing with. If you get the order information and the death certificate in front of the production manager in Bowling Green, I'm pretty sure they won't be building your step dad's corvette, and there won't be an issue. I'm not sure how badly you need the money right now, but if you can let it stew until almost delivery date, knowing the car hasn't been built, you can go back to the dealership and say you want the car now, or on the original schedule, or you want a full refund. When they can't get the car, you should get the full refund.

For the F-150, take it to CarMax. They will make you a fair offer on the truck. You can take cash (certified funds) when they make the offer, or anyone in the family wants the truck, you have the current market value of the truck. That's also a great negotiating tool if you trade it on something else. If the trade in offer falls short, you give them the opportunity to beat CarMax, or you can forget about the trade and take it back to CarMax for cash.

Link to find a nearby CarMax and schedule an appointment for appraisal/sale: https://www.carmax.com/sell-my-car/used-car-offer

Originally Posted by ls3zob
I agree. I wouldn't be happy. As I've said, I'd be on the phone with Bowling Green talking to GM to stop the thing from being built. I'm pretty sure GM doesn't want to be involved in fleecing the grieving survivors of one of their potential customers. The thing hasn't even been built yet, so there's no cost to the dealership for selling the thing if you stop it from being created.
Originally Posted by bsedwebt
What dealer is this? I want to avoid it at all costs in the future and I am sure everyone else will too....
Add me to the list. I hope OP doesn't sign any kind of non-disclosure as part of this deal, and I hope he'll come back and tell us about this dealership so we can all avoid the place.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 12-08-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:50 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
If you're happy with that, it's your life. I wouldn't be.

If the Corvette is never built to the order, there will be zero "holding costs." I'd make at least one phone call to Bowling Green and try to get it stopped today. I'm pretty sure GM values their reputation more than this dealership you're arguing with. If you get the order information and the death certificate in front of the production manager in Bowling Green, I'm pretty sure they won't be building your step dad's corvette, and there won't be an issue. I'm not sure how badly you need the money right now, but if you can let it stew until almost delivery date, knowing the car hasn't been built, you can go back to the dealership and say you want the car now, or on the original schedule, or you want a full refund. When they can't get the car, you should get the full refund.

For the F-150, take it to CarMax. They will make you a fair offer on the truck. You can take cash (certified funds) when they make the offer, or anyone in the family wants the truck, you have the current market value of the truck. That's also a great negotiating tool if you trade it on something else. If the trade in offer falls short, you give them the opportunity to beat CarMax, or you can forget about the trade and take it back to CarMax for cash.

I agree. I wouldn't be happy. As I've said, I'd be on the phone with Bowling Green talking to GM to stop the thing from being built. I'm pretty sure GM doesn't want to be involved in fleecing the grieving survivors of one of their potential customers. The thing hasn't even been built yet, so there's no cost to the dealership for selling the thing if you stop it from being created.

Add me to the list. I hope OP doesn't sign any kind of non-disclosure as part of this deal, and I hope he'll come back and tell us about this dealership so we can all avoid the place.
As a former GM dealer, I can assure you calling Bowling Green would be equivalent to calling Mars. Can you imagine a system where a random customer calls the production scheduler at a GM plant, gives some crazy story, and they don't produce a car! Do you think maybe the franchised dealer with millions of dollars invested might have some say here? And, better yet, who makes the investigation and determination the story is even true and not some disgruntled ex-wife trying to get revenge?

Seriously guys, I have seen some very insightful info on here but then stupidity like this exists!
The following 2 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
Mikegerm_C5 (12-09-2017), Steve_R (12-08-2017)

Quick Reply: Deceased Before Delivery - Need Advice