Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GS vs Base Stingray for long distance travel

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 10:33 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

I bought a base 2017 Stingray with the MSRC (Magnetic Selective Ride Control) shocks. For my usage & transportation desires, that's all I need. I suppose I could spring for the Z51 FRNT & REAR sway bars for $450.00 at some point.

For long distance usage, I don't see any reason to buy the GS, with the racing Z51/ZO6 feature add-ons.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 12-07-2017 at 10:46 PM. Reason: additional information
The following users liked this post:
silvertc6 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 10:44 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Perfectly happy with my base 2LT other than having to replace the torque converter and fuel sending unit. Ride without MSRC is perfectly acceptable and 465 HP is plenty.
silvertc6 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 02:27 AM
movinlow
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I prefer the Z51 over the base, manly for the better braking and handling. I would definitely go with at least the 2LT package in order to get the heads up display. I find this to be easier on the eyes on a road trip. Whatever you decide, you can’t go wrong.

Something else that hasn’t been mentioned, on long road trips, if you have a transparent top, it can get hot inside. This might not bother some but it annoyed me, as I shave my head and get tired of wearing hats inside the car.

Unless I missed it, let us know what you end up with and your thoughts.

Last edited by movinlow; 12-08-2017 at 02:35 AM.
silvertc6 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 09:08 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by mbaessler
Mike: How many folks even drive the base or the Z-51 at it's handling limits on the street. Tracking the car is a different story. OP needs to decide what are the priorities. Then the decision is clear.
This is very true. Then, one other reason I ordered and bought a "Base" 1LT was I'm a "straight line" guy. When I lived up in PA I ran my Vettes in the Corvette Challenge at Englishtown's Old Briidge Raceway Park , N.J. for 8 years. One thing about a "Base" 1LT is it's 100 lbs lighter than a 2LT and even more compared to a Z51 or GS. Even though the gearing's a little better in both in a drag race weight more than makes up for it. I've run other C7's since and in my experience it's proven true. Just saying.

Every person that decides to buy a Corvette has their own requirements and I have no problem with that. I just love the fact that we have so many choices and in my opinion, the best Corvette series ever made!
silvertc6 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 10:52 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
...than having to replace the fuel sending unit.

Curious, were you always using top Tier gas?

Had you ever added the GM recommended fuel additive listed in the owner's manual?

How about Techron or SeaFoam?

The reason I ask is I do buy non Top Tier from time to time and thought I could not go wrong adding the GM fuel additive to my 2014 Z51 at every oil change (as noted in the Owner's Manual,) which I did.

Wondering what I'll do with the Grand Sport at my next oil change. My biggest concern is the reports of fuel sender replacement that requires dropping the whole rear drive train to get the tanks out! Recall one poster who said his dealer solved the fuel sender problem by adding two bottles of the GM additive. Solved his issue for $100.

The GM additive, Techron and Seafoam all say they dissolve sulfur deposits on the fuel sender. In fact the SDS sheets show Techron and the GM product may be the same. Bottles look the same.

Sulfur is in all gasoline, albeit a small amount by law. But oil can have up to 3% or more and it must be removed in the refinery. Has nothing to do with Top Tier as that just includes additives in very small amounts of products like Techron. With DI, today that is only able to clean the injectors and perhaps the combustion chamber. It can no longer do what was advertised for years, cleaning the PCV oil and "stuff" from the intake and backs of intake valves as it did with carburetors, throttle body and port injection.

Last edited by JerryU; 12-08-2017 at 10:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
mbaessler (12-09-2017), rmorin1249 (12-09-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 12:38 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

I would offer another perspective to the OP.

I got a Z06/7, competition seats, because I wanted to go to the track with as much performance as I could afford. Quite happy with that choice.

Fiance, who drives it at the track tooand I have driven SLC to Pahrump for COS last September. Six+ hours, a couple of gas/rest stops. In Tour mode. We were quite comfortable.

So, while some other high performance car may be more comfortable (Cadillac CTS-Vs are mean at the track), to me comfortable enough is comfortable enough. I wouldn't give a second thought about comfort driving coast to coast.

If you have issues with back/leg problems that make sitting for hours an ordeal, seems like greatest comfort is your goal. At 65yo I am fortunate to be getting along pretty well. So I choose to bias toward performance (while my old carcass can still manage)

If driving in cold/snow is a must, then get a model you can put 18" wheels on so you have more options for winter tires. I have parked our Z, with MPSS dry tires on it,, until a dry 50+ degree day in SLC rolls in. It may be a while.

No matter what you choose, I can't imagine you won't enjoy it greatly.

Last edited by desmophile; 12-08-2017 at 01:17 PM.
silvertc6 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Base car.
If I were buying for long distance, I'd go with a Suburban.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:53 PM
silvertc6
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
Base car.
Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather walk than go with a suburban. Corvette only please!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:30 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Aside from the fun of driving a C7, it's a very good "long distance" ride. Gotta say again, the base is the best at ride softness while maintaining excellent road manners. Get the bars.
silvertc6 (12-09-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 06:44 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
Base car.
I had a loaner suburban. Everything about it sucked. It was miserable. I can't believe people buy these things enthusiastically. What a miserable vehicle.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:19 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
1.00 for the base (non z51?) I was far faster through turns in my GS than even my Z51. I find it hard to believe the base (non z51) can pull a full G. That would be pretty impressive.
That 1.0G claim was from GM in this marketing PDF for the 2016 MY. They claim 1.03 for the Z51 and 1.2 for the Z06 w/Z07. Independent tests are all over the map for various C7s, always over 1.0G, but I don't think I've seen a test on a non-Z51 base car.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:30 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^

Your right published data ranges all over.

This is the latest with some direct comparisons from the January 2018 issue of Car and Driver. They are best for developing more agreesive data versus say Road & Track:

With the Standard Michelin Pilot Super Sports they state with the Grand Sport they achieved max lateral "g" at 1.13 and stops from 70 mph in 136 feet.

With the Z07 package and it's carbon-ceramic brakes with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires that Grand Sport achieved max lateral "g" of 1.18 and 70 mph stops took only 129 feet.

Although not in the same article, Car and Driver in a 2016 comparison with a Mustang showed a C7 Z51 achieving 1.05 max lateral "g" and a stop from 70 mph of 149 feet.

FWIW

Last edited by JerryU; 12-09-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:12 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Interior is the same, so if you really are shooting for a Grand Turismo vehicle, choose the Base and get all-season tires. (BTW, they'll be 19/20" regardless.) This will quiet the ride a bit and in Tour Mode you have a fine, smooth automobile. Your gas mileage will be high 20's to low 30's. The roads will be asphalt or concrete. I also have a CTS-VSport which, as you might imagine is a fine touring car with all the amenities, but since I got the vette it stays in the garage on long trips because the vette is just BETTER!
silvertc6 (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 02:23 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by SD_Dave
I passed on the Z51 for two reasons: The size of the tires and the size of the rear spoiler.

I have a 2016 SR M7 Coupe daily driver with almost 30K miles on it. I am completely satisfied with it as a mid-to-long distance GT car. I'm lucky that I got a model with 18"/19" tires. Not only are they quieter, but they're cheaper to replace. Also, they soak up road irregularities better.

As said, mine is a daily driver. I use the rear storage compartment daily to carry groceries, luggage, sports equipment, stuff from Home Depot, ...whatever. I did not want to contend with a huge spoiler every time I put something in the rear. No way.

I've had lots of sport cars. My previous was an '06 Porsche Cayman S. Before that, an '03 911. They were sweet cars. Great handling. But, I think my C7 "base" car is a better all round GT sports car. Its more comfortable, has more storage, gets waayyy better gas mileage, has more power, and yes, it handles great on the open road. No twitchy hyper sensitive steering. Just smooth cruising.... but with lightning quick reflexes when you want/need them. On the fast and combative freeways of So. Cal, my C7 Stingray is the perfect road warrior.
Totally!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Bavaria:
mbaessler (12-09-2017), silvertc6 (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 03:28 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JerryU

Curious, were you always using top Tier gas?

Had you ever added the GM recommended fuel additive listed in the owner's manual?

How about Techron or SeaFoam?

The reason I ask is I do buy non Top Tier from time to time and thought I could not go wrong adding the GM fuel additive to my 2014 Z51 at every oil change (as noted in the Owner's Manual,) which I did.

Wondering what I'll do with the Grand Sport at my next oil change. My biggest concern is the reports of fuel sender replacement that requires dropping the whole rear drive train to get the tanks out! Recall one poster who said his dealer solved the fuel sender problem by adding two bottles of the GM additive. Solved his issue for $100.

The GM additive, Techron and Seafoam all say they dissolve sulfur deposits on the fuel sender. In fact the SDS sheets show Techron and the GM product may be the same. Bottles look the same.

Sulfur is in all gasoline, albeit a small amount by law. But oil can have up to 3% or more and it must be removed in the refinery. Has nothing to do with Top Tier as that just includes additives in very small amounts of products like Techron. With DI, today that is only able to clean the injectors and perhaps the combustion chamber. It can no longer do what was advertised for years, cleaning the PCV oil and "stuff" from the intake and backs of intake valves as it did with carburetors, throttle body and port injection.
The ONLY fuel that has gone into my C7 is Shell 93, BP 93 and Exxon 93. I have added a bottle of Techron one time at about 10K miles. My fuel sending unit developed a crack and a leak. This necessitated its replacement.
silvertc6 (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 03:30 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SD_Dave
I passed on the Z51 for two reasons: The size of the tires and the size of the rear spoiler.

I have a 2016 SR M7 Coupe daily driver with almost 30K miles on it. I am completely satisfied with it as a mid-to-long distance GT car. I'm lucky that I got a model with 18"/19" tires. Not only are they quieter, but they're cheaper to replace. Also, they soak up road irregularities better.

As said, mine is a daily driver. I use the rear storage compartment daily to carry groceries, luggage, sports equipment, stuff from Home Depot, ...whatever. I did not want to contend with a huge spoiler every time I put something in the rear. No way.

I've had lots of sport cars. My previous was an '06 Porsche Cayman S. Before that, an '03 911. They were sweet cars. Great handling. But, I think my C7 "base" car is a better all round GT sports car. Its more comfortable, has more storage, gets waayyy better gas mileage, has more power, and yes, it handles great on the open road. No twitchy hyper sensitive steering. Just smooth cruising.... but with lightning quick reflexes when you want/need them. On the fast and combative freeways of So. Cal, my C7 Stingray is the perfect road warrior.
Exactly my thoughts as well.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:35 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
The ONLY fuel that has gone into my C7 is Shell 93, BP 93 and Exxon 93. I have added a bottle of Techron one time at about 10K miles. My fuel sending unit developed a crack and a leak. This necessitated its replacement.
Thanks. Yep all those additives can’t fix a crack!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-09-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To GS vs Base Stingray for long distance travel

Old 12-10-2017, 08:39 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
That 1.0G claim was from GM in this marketing PDF for the 2016 MY. They claim 1.03 for the Z51 and 1.2 for the Z06 w/Z07. Independent tests are all over the map for various C7s, always over 1.0G, but I don't think I've seen a test on a non-Z51 base car.
Okay, yeah, I would be really surprised if the base without a rear sway bar could hold that much. And in real world twisties, going back and forth, the difference would be more pronounced.

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^

Your right published data ranges all over.

This is the latest with some direct comparisons from the January 2018 issue of Car and Driver. They are best for developing more agreesive data versus say Road & Track:

With the Standard Michelin Pilot Super Sports they state with the Grand Sport they achieved max lateral "g" at 1.13 and stops from 70 mph in 136 feet.

With the Z07 package and it's carbon-ceramic brakes with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires that Grand Sport achieved max lateral "g" of 1.18 and 70 mph stops took only 129 feet.

Although not in the same article, Car and Driver in a 2016 comparison with a Mustang showed a C7 Z51 achieving 1.05 max lateral "g" and a stop from 70 mph of 149 feet.

FWIW
Yeah, numbers will be all over because road surfaces, air pressure, weather, etc can all make a pretty substantial impact when you're talking about +/- 0.1G being a big deal.

With regard to the PSC2, I'm willing to bet the difference would be much higher if they were properly heated up. I'm guessing they weren't because the cup tires are definitely worth more than 0.05G and 7 feet of braking. I've driven both at the track- I brake way later on cup tires. On PSS it's crazy good. On cup tires it's like a cartoon; I can't brake late enough.

Last edited by village idiot; 12-10-2017 at 08:54 AM.
JerryU (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 09:53 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Perhaps a consideration (even if small) since driving long distances often involves dealing with crowded restaurant/hotel/motel parking lots is the the Stingray being 3"+ narrower at the rear quarters.
It may be easier and less risky in regard to parking/backing up, folks hitting your car with their luggage as they maneuver between parked cars and to receiving door dings etc under tight conditions.

Granted 3" isn't a lot however makes a difference especially in dealing with the narrower (compact car) parking spaces we are seeing more and more of.
Just saying, one of the worst ways to end a long trip is a visit to the body shop for a repair estimate.
silvertc6 (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 12:18 PM
cspnboy
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Michelin Alpin 4. Aggressive winter/snow tread. Available for C7 GS and Z06.

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Yup, pretty much end of discussion. GS isn't for cold temps or any snow/ice until/unless AS tires are available.

/thread
silvertc6 (12-10-2017)

Quick Reply: GS vs Base Stingray for long distance travel