Sponsored by:

What to do/buy for a new GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 02:19 PM
GoatHead
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default What to do/buy for a new GS

I bought a new GS from Matt at Van Bortel. 2LT, Stage 2. This will be my first Corvette - a dream long in the making.

What are the necessary accessories that I need to buy?

I am already planning on PPF and window tinting. I am considering a trickle charger, indoor cover, and front spliter skid plate http://www.protektskidplates.com/c7-gs-z06.html

Any experience with above choices?

Any other recommendations?
Old 12-07-2017, 02:31 PM
onyx_z71
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Front splash guards to reduce the amount of stones thrown by the front tires getting to the quarter panels and chipping the paint.
The following users liked this post:
DWS44 (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 02:46 PM
evoroadster
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

I went with an indoor car cover, door sill protectors, a cubby buddy, and weather tech mats for driver and passenger as well as a cargo net.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:51 PM
GoatHead
Pro

Originally Posted by onyx_z71
Front splash guards to reduce the amount of stones thrown by the front tires getting to the quarter panels and chipping the paint.
Which splash guard do you recommend? OEM?

Originally Posted by Daniel Libutti
I went with an indoor car cover, door sill protectors, a cubby buddy, and weather tech mats for driver and passenger as well as a cargo net.
Which indoor cover do you recommend? I prefer something economical.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:06 PM
evoroadster
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

I got all my referenced items from westcoastcorvette.com At the time the SR1 Stretch Satin Car Cover was $139.00. Well worth it especially since shipping for sales over $99 is free. For me living in Hawaii that is a big plus.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:53 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

My list included:

* Carbotech 1521 brake pads - greatly reduces brake dust
* CAGS Eliminator - eliminates the annoying forced 1-4 shift when lugging around or in stop and go traffic.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:54 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by onyx_z71

Originally Posted by GoatHead
Which splash guard do you recommend? OEM?
Personally, I prefer (and have) the ACS front splash guards. They are just a bit larger than the GM splash guards, so you get a little bit more protection. Easy install and don't look out of place, IMO.

https://acscomposite.com/blogs/news/...front-mudflaps

Originally Posted by redman76
My list included:

* Carbotech 1521 brake pads - greatly reduces brake dust
* CAGS Eliminator - eliminates the annoying forced 1-4 shift when lugging around or in stop and go traffic.
on both counts!

Last edited by DWS44; 12-07-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:46 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

If you want a quality low dust pad and are not tracking the car I would recommend the Carbotech 1521 brake pads. 100% made in the USA. Non-corrosive dust will not harm your wheels or paint.

The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

Can order by calling me at 216-780-8825 or direct at http://ampdautosport.com/brake-pads/corvette/ Use promo code z28 at check out and save $$. Adam Adelstein

Part numbers under C7ZO6
F: CT1405
R: CT1718
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 12-07-2017, 06:52 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Have the PPF installer do the sill plates also.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:17 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

not sure why you need an indoor car cover or trickle charger unless the car is going to be hibernating for a winter. Get a good ceramic coating for the paint.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:59 PM
GoatHead
Pro

Thank you all for your response. It is M7 coupe, so I don't need a CAGS. Also, it is brand new, and I don't think I will change the brake pads. Maybe when they get older, but it would be a waste if I throw away brand new brake pads.
The car will not be a daily driver. It is a secondary car for pleasure. With pollen in NC gets everywhere, I believe I need a cover.

I am going to install PPF on front bumper, full hood, front fenders, and rocker panels. Leaning towards Xpel Ultimate due to better protection and better warranty. Why do I need to wrap the sill plates? They are aluminum, aren't they?

Ceramic coating is so expensive. I prefer to pay a bit more and get the entire car wrapped, but I won't do that. Wax will have to do for now.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:05 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Thank you all for your response. It is M7 coupe, so I don't need a CAGS. Also, it is brand new, and I don't think I will change the brake pads. Maybe when they get older, but it would be a waste if I throw away brand new brake pads.
The car will not be a daily driver. It is a secondary car for pleasure. With pollen in NC gets everywhere, I believe I need a cover.

I am going to install PPF on front bumper, full hood, front fenders, and rocker panels. Leaning towards Xpel Ultimate due to better protection and better warranty. Why do I need to wrap the sill plates? They are aluminum, aren't they?

Ceramic coating is so expensive. I prefer to pay a bit more and get the entire car wrapped, but I won't do that. Wax will have to do for now.
Ceramic coating should be about $800, give or take, and it's probably the #1 thing I would do behind window tint (but I live in Texas).

I'd definitely rather have ceramic coating than all that Xpel, other than maybe the bumper.

Last edited by village idiot; 12-07-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:55 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Congrats and welcome to CorvetteForum.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 12-07-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:05 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It is M7 coupe, so I don't need a CAGS.
Actually, an M7 is what the CAGS eliminator is made for. At a certain speed and acceleration level, CAGS will lock out second and force you to shift from first to fourth, in the name of fuel economy. It can get annoying depending on how you usually drive and when you usually shift. Just something to keep in mind when you get the car if that starts to bug you.

Also, it is brand new, and I don't think I will change the brake pads. Maybe when they get older, but it would be a waste if I throw away brand new brake pads.
While changing out new pads might sound crazy, the biggest reason for this suggestion is the endless brake dust from the stock pads. Wasteful or not, if a clean car and/or clean wheels are something important to you, the endlessly dust-covered wheels will drive you nuts. Plus, you can sell the stock pads you take off in the Part for Sale section to recoup some of the cost.

Why do I need to wrap the sill plates? They are aluminum, aren't they?
Some folks like to do that to help with scratches from kicking or dragging your feet over the sill plate getting in and out of the car.

Just some food for thought...Congrats on the new GS!

Last edited by DWS44; 12-07-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:10 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Ceramic coating should be about $800, give or take, and it's probably the #1 thing I would do behind window tint (but I live in Texas).

I'd definitely rather have ceramic coating than all that Xpel, other than maybe the bumper.
I have both - they are not mutually exclusive. The ceramic on non XPel surfaces is great. XPel is an imperative if u don’t like rock chips, bird crap / bug acid.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:32 AM
JDMilw
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

I did PPF on the whole front end and the other common trouble areas.

Then ceramic the whole car (C Magic Radiant).

Window tint.

Brake pads (PowerStop).

Painted plenum and fuel rail covers (Showstopper).

I did some other minor stuff but I'd say the above were most important to me.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:47 AM
Ramler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

I thought all new C7s came with a trickle charger. Mine did.
I had the same dilemma, my GS didn't need anything but a cover and some jacking pucks. I added stage 2 spoiler but yours is already stage 2.

Get notified of new replies

To What to do/buy for a new GS

Old 12-08-2017, 06:53 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

It is kind of strange buying a near perfect car (at least relatively speaking) from the factory. The only things I want to do are weight reduction (rotors, wheels) and stuff that voids my warranty (another 50hp or so). Another 50hp and forged wheels and this car would have been factory perfect.

Enjoy the ride.
The following users liked this post:
Bassassin (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 07:09 AM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 715 Likes on 483 Posts

I did Lloyds LUXE mats (superb quality and fit) with GS logo, a perforated SS exhaust filler plate from American Car Craft (really like this), tinted windows, the Protekt skid plates (great fit and super easy install), GS logo American Car Craft underhood cap covers and bought the transparent top from an owner on the forum. I did buy another Deltran Battery Tender (already had the cig. lighter adapter) yesterday as my other is in use on my Nissan 300ZX.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:25 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramler
I thought all new C7s came with a trickle charger. Mine did.
I had the same dilemma, my GS didn't need anything but a cover and some jacking pucks. I added stage 2 spoiler but yours is already stage 2.
Only if the dealer orders it with the "battery protection package" which is just the official GM trickle charger. (and you pay a good mark-up for that corvette logo sticker over the same charger but "universal" without the logo.)

Quick Reply: What to do/buy for a new GS