Sponsored by:

PDR tour mode - anyone recommnend

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 07:37 AM
silvertc6
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Default PDR tour mode - anyone recommnend

I will be ordering a 2019 C7 and considering whether to get PDR even though it is unlikely that I will be tracking the car, but I like the idea of having a PDR for the tour mode feature. Grateful if anyone uses PDR for anything other than to track driving performance for the most part. Many Thanks
Old 12-10-2017, 07:44 AM
Can Vette
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I've never tracked my C7.... however I use the PDR with every trip.
It's not only fun to play back your rides, especially on winding roads or highways, but it acts as a GO PRO as well.
If you have the Nav, it interacts, such that the actual route comes up on the replay, and with Cosworth software (free download), you can see all of the relevant measurements as well.
Stongly recommended.

Last edited by Can Vette; 12-10-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I'm not tracking my car and use the PDR as a car camera in case of an accident.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:55 AM
silvertc6
Racer

Originally Posted by Can Vette
It's not only fun to play back your rides, especially on winding roads or highways, but it acts as a GO PRO as well.
If you have the Nav, it interacts, such that the actual route comes up on the replay, and with Cosworth software (free download), you can see all of the relevant measurements as well.
Stongly recommended.
This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I will be ordering PDR. Thanks
Old 12-10-2017, 07:58 AM
silvertc6
Racer

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Indeed, that use in itself is a convincing reason to have it.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:00 AM
Rangerdog1
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

I really enjoy using mine on road trips and I don't track my car either. It may be something you'll regret not getting it later.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:04 AM
dmaxwellh
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Can Vette
Stongly recommended.
Can Vette, can you elaborate a little? I picked up my C7 last month and have not given the PDR much attention yet. I know that I must add an SD card to the slot in the glove box. Does this activate automatic recording of all trips? What about this software you are describing? Is this something you use at home on your PC or a program added to the vehicle? Thanks so much in advance for the clarification and help!

Warm regards,
David

Last edited by dmaxwellh; 12-10-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:14 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I'm not completely sure that keeping a video record of all your activities in the car on a flash drive, in the car is such a good idea.

"yes officer, that is a video of me going 140mph, before I wasn't, and then the idiot hit me..." lol

Yes, I ordered the nav/pdr. I figured it was only money, and I'd rather have it and not use it, than want it and not have it. Besides, I pretty much break the speeding laws every time I drive. (maybe not by much, but they are still broken..) ;-)
Old 12-10-2017, 08:32 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxwellh
Can Vette, can you elaborate a little? I picked up my C7 last month and have not given the PDR much attention yet. I know that I must add an SD card to the slot in the glove box. Does this activate automatic recording of all trips? What about this software you are describing? Is this something you use at home on your PC or a program added to the vehicle? Thanks so much in advance for the clarification and help!

Warm regards,
David
This is BRCC, you can put up to a 32GB SD card in and with special formatting tools all the way to a 256GB card. You must activate it for each trip. Even thought you can view the videos with a PC because they are MOV formatted, the Cosworth Tool Box allows you to see many parameters on the car and has many overlays so you can graphically see your trip and is a free download for your PC.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:49 AM
javenius
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxwellh

Warm regards,
David
I do not track the car but use the PDR often.

It does not activate automatically. You have to start it from the Infotainment screen when you'd like it to record. Then when you are stopped, you can replay the videos on the screen in the car. Additionally, there are 4 backgrounds you can select from which overlay things like speed, RPM, gear, g force, etc.

I don't use the Cosworth software but I understand you load this on your PC.

Jim
Old 12-10-2017, 09:15 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

And one of the nice features is that if you forget to turn it on when you start the car, you can activate it while the car is moving.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:37 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

I have the PDR and use it.

Things to note:

Only records up to 90 minutes or so (due to FAT32 file size limitation)and then stops and you need to start the recording manually again.

The PDR does not tell you that it has stopped recording. You always need to activate the recording manually.....will not start up when car is turned on.

When your sd card is getting close to being full, it does not let you know and the recording just stops recording when sd card is full. It does not automatically delete the oldest file to make room to continue recording. You need to delete a file or files to make room and start the recording again.

32 gig sd card (approx 768 min record time) is max size according to manual. Other have used larger sd card size by using a format utiltiy on their computers.

Pretty sure all the above could easily be addressed by GM with some programming and issuing a software update, but that has not happened.

You can remove the sd card from you glove box and put it directly in your computer and play the videos.

Video quality is just acceptable compared to aftermarket dash cams available.

You can make a shortcut to the PDR software using your favorites buttons.

I still like the PDR but it would be more user friendly if the above were addressed by GM.

Last edited by c54u; 12-10-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Hilton Head Vette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's also a save your a-- tool. Cop was going the other way and made a big U turn. Ran me down about a mile up the road. Asked if he pulled me over for speeding. Told him (nicely) if that was the case he needed to see a video. He looked a little perplexed but went along with me. I replayed my video and it showed him going by me and and low and behold it also showed my speed was 62 mph. Speed limit on the road was 60. He said he was aware of go pros but did not know Corvettes had what I explained to him a PDR built in. Thanked me for the lesson and walked away.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:32 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
I'm not completely sure that keeping a video record of all your activities in the car on a flash drive, in the car is such a good idea.

"yes officer, that is a video of me going 140mph, before I wasn't, and then the idiot hit me..." lol

Yes, I ordered the nav/pdr. I figured it was only money, and I'd rather have it and not use it, than want it and not have it. Besides, I pretty much break the speeding laws every time I drive. (maybe not by much, but they are still broken..) ;-)
First, I doubt the officer would even know that you have a PDR let alone that you were using it. Additionally I'm pretty sure it's a 4th amendment issue in which case he'd need a search warrant and finally, he'd have to prove that it was you who was driving (your contrived example of doing 140 MPH and then having an accident - you'd not be talking to a cop - you'd be dead most likely).
Old 12-10-2017, 10:41 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

The PDR is really cool for looking over some of your street drives too.
Attached are 4 screen shots from my PDR drives three last weekend and one in July.
The first two are shown using the Cosworth Toolbox, which will get you a look at its date capture, including speed, cornering, track mapping, etc.
The second two are using a computer video viewer.
Attached Images     
Old 12-10-2017, 11:01 AM
Can Vette
Instructor

You can replay on Cosworth, or Windows Media. However, you can also play the PDR videos on VLC player which is a safe free download.
Better yet, I have the VLC app on my IPhone and I download my videos through ITunes from my desktop to my phone.
Not that I would show them off to friends or anything.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:04 AM
Can Vette
Instructor

And don’t forget that the PDR allows for replay in the vehicle.

Get notified of new replies

To PDR tour mode - anyone recommnend

Old 12-10-2017, 11:12 AM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Old 12-10-2017, 11:24 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have the PDR and use it frequently. I don't track our car.

As others have stated above, I find it a nuisance that you have to activate it EVERY time you restart the car if you remember to do so.....

Other dislike is that it doesn't warn you when you are about to max out the card.

My Street Guardian Dash Cam that I use in our other car has much higher quality video (1080p) and as I leave it plugged in it starts up automatically each time the car starts up. It will also record over itself after the 64Gig card fills up. It doesn't offer any of the "Performance Data" information that the Corvette camera does. It does have a GPS feature that will show your speed, and you can upload the card to your computer to overlay it on a map to show where you drove. The Street Guardian is $200.

I've thought about adding a Street Guardian to the REAR window of the Vette to use as a "cover my butt" for someone not paying attention, or texting that might rear end me. Nearly happened last week, as some dumb *** young girl was texting and almost got me. I looked into my rear view mirror and saw it coming, but luckily she looked up and slammed her brakes on in time.

Last edited by Strake; 12-10-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:59 AM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Glad to hear all the positive comments about PDR. I ordered it on my '18 GS. I'm sure it will get plenty of use.

Quick Reply: PDR tour mode - anyone recommnend