C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome OEM wheels with pitting defects after factory warranty expired....

Old 12-11-2017, 01:14 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Chrome OEM wheels with pitting defects after factory warranty expired....

I have the extended warranty, but am not sure if the factory wheels are covered by it. Anyone know, or have had success getting the wheels replaced out of factory warranty?
Old 12-11-2017, 01:22 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Unfortunately I think you are screwed. This will likely be considered "normal wear and tear". Sad to say.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:24 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 224 Likes on 143 Posts

I bought my z51 used. I had all four of mine replaced with OEMs at no charge by the local dealer with about 2 weeks left on the warranty. The dealer told me that they wouldn't honor another claim against the wheels since I was sooo picky about the blemishes (and I was--I would have drop-kicked me out the door if I was the Service Manager--but as a customer, I wanted the four wheels to start "brand new". I didn't even have to argue for the more "superficial" exchanges. ). I dunno why they were adamant about that with less than 30 days left on my OEM warranty. So maybe there's 'room' to argue as a drivetrain component(?).

If you don't have a GMEPP bumper-to-bumper extended warranty, maybe it'd be worth your time to see if buying one for a minimal amount of time would be cost effective vs. just paying for new wheels. The benefit is that of course, you'd still have a b-to-b warranty after the wheels were replaced.

Last edited by dork; 12-11-2017 at 02:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
$$$frumnuttin' (12-11-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 12:19 PM
lennykoll
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by dork
I bought my z51 used. I had all four of mine replaced with OEMs at no charge by the local dealer with about 2 weeks left on the warranty.
I did the same thing but they had to order a total of 8 wheels before they got four in hand that were without problems! That was 2-3 months ago....

I just discovered that one of the "new OEM" wheels also has bubbles forming, and I am just out of the 36 month B to B warranty.... have GMEPP (which probably would NOT cover the problem) but went by my dealer yesterday and they agreed to replace the defective wheel..... on order. Geez..... quality just isn't what it used to be huh!? The ones that GM sent were all either Taiwan or Mainland China plated, according to markings on the boxes.... guess they gave up on US plating!!??...LK
Old 12-16-2017, 05:13 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

One practical reason why I'd never buy another chrome wheel. Polished aluminum -yes.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:43 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
One practical reason why I'd never buy another chrome wheel. Polished aluminum -yes.
the wheels came on the car when I bought it new off the lot...I had no choice at the time, many of us have to take what we get when avoiding the 'ordering nightmare'.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:56 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

Simple, find out what YOUR extended warranty does and doesn't cover. Then, you'll KNOW, not simply have opinions. Best of luck.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:10 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Avanti
Simple, find out what YOUR extended warranty does and doesn't cover. Then, you'll KNOW, not simply have opinions. Best of luck.
...much simpler to just ask...that's what this forum is about....also, if claim is rejected I want to know about it...that kind of info can only come from anecdotal accounts
Old 12-23-2017, 04:46 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,066 Likes on 591 Posts

Actually it all depends on the dealer. Some won't give you a hard time and some will. I doubt that anyone on this forum really knows. All I can say is good luck. BTW with every Vette I've owned I've always done the wheel exchange and the reason is, the chrome plating is better than the factory's plus I saved $1000.00 but I ordered all of my cars.

Last edited by Mike Campbell; 12-23-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:16 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Avanti is simply saying this is like guys who come on here asking "how much will ins. on my Z06, GS, etc. cost? Way too many variables such as age, locations, company, etc. Your plan coverage depends on what tier of coverage you bought. He's right, every extended warranty I've had or read has a list "what's not covered". Much quicker to peruse your particular policy. You will get plenty of opinions here but not necessarily what your policy/dealer will cover. The proof is in trying to get it covered.The company may or may not cover it but the dealer may out of customer appreciation. Not all warranties are from GM or their affiliates, some are totally 3rd party. Good luck tho!

Last edited by madrob2020; 12-23-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:11 PM
Soonere39
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I had some nice 22" Chrome wheels on my Avalanche. Turns out Chrome was the biggest PITA to keep in good shape and keep it from pitting. I wiped them off constantly, especially after a rain, but they were quickly pittinng. In the winter I even plasti dipped them to protect them from road grime. I will never buy chrome again, but I would consider polished aluminum.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Soonere39; 12-23-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:16 PM
Soonere39
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lennykoll
..... Geez..... quality just isn't what it used to be huh!? The ones that GM sent were all either Taiwan or Mainland China plated, according to markings on the boxes.... guess they gave up on US plating!!??...LK
Due to EPA regulation, most of the chrome shops in the US have closed up. There are very few left. Most chrome, especially chrome used by major auto and motorcycle manufacturers, is done in China and other parts of SE Asia.
Harly owners in particular have a tuff time accepting that a lot of their 'all american' bike has chinese chrome parts.

I can remember in the early 1990s when we had a Chrome shop in OKC and I toured it, but at that time they were facing regulatons they could not meet and planned on closing.

Last edited by Soonere39; 12-23-2017 at 09:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Soonere39:
AORoads (12-25-2017), Maxie2U (12-26-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 02:53 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Soonere39
Due to EPA regulation, most of the chrome shops in the US have closed up. There are very few left. Most chrome, especially chrome used by major auto and motorcycle manufacturers, is done in China and other parts of SE Asia.
Harly owners in particular have a tuff time accepting that a lot of their 'all american' bike has chinese chrome parts.

I can remember in the early 1990s when we had a Chrome shop in OKC and I toured it, but at that time they were facing regulatons they could not meet and planned on closing.
It's why most "chrome wheels" are now actually PVD. I think all Ford "chrome wheels" are PVD, most of GM's are, the Corvette is one of the few left with real Chrome.

Protecting Chrome that isn't driven in the winter is easy though. You just gotta polish it, then seal it with a "clear coat" ceramic type coating. My wheels are OptiCoat Pro Plus'd and they look great after 2 years.
Soonere39 (12-25-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 02:58 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

have a 2016 with 8,000 miles - no problems yet.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:18 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
Actually it all depends on the dealer. Some won't give you a hard time and some will. I doubt that anyone on this forum really knows. All I can say is good luck. BTW with every Vette I've owned I've always done the wheel exchange and the reason is, the chrome plating is better than the factory's plus I saved $1000.00 but I ordered all of my cars.
Very true, a lot of variables incl. the dealers themselves, and what they will and will not do especially if it's up to their discretion.

Originally Posted by madrob2020
Avanti is simply saying this is like guys who come on here asking "how much will ins. on my Z06, GS, etc. cost? Way too many variables such as age, locations, company, etc. Your plan coverage depends on what tier of coverage you bought. He's right, every extended warranty I've had or read has a list "what's not covered". Much quicker to peruse your particular policy. You will get plenty of opinions here but not necessarily what your policy/dealer will cover. The proof is in trying to get it covered.The company may or may not cover it but the dealer may out of customer appreciation. Not all warranties are from GM or their affiliates, some are totally 3rd party. Good luck tho!
Absolutely correct! Again, variables but what is in the policy/warranty is very very clear as to what will not be honored. Anything else is "good will" or pure conjecture, and is above and beyond what is written. Someone may get it, but you and anyone else may not.
Maxie2U (12-26-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 04:28 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
...much simpler to just ask...that's what this forum is about....also, if claim is rejected I want to know about it...that kind of info can only come from anecdotal accounts
So it's much simpler to ask a group of people who have no idea what your extended warranty covers or doesn't cover than to actually read your warranty? Would you rather have a simple answer or an accurate one? The fact is all warranties are not the same and you've given us ZERO information about yours other than it exists. Anecdotal answers are by nature confined to a single person's experience with THEIR warranty and have nothing to do with what your warranty covers.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:41 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

My C6 Z06 which was a 2009 also had pitting in the chrome wheels. After that I said no more chrome. Its black wheels all the way which may also pit from debris but it will be harder to see. Besides chrome is for the old fogies (LOL).

Get notified of new replies

To Chrome OEM wheels with pitting defects after factory warranty expired....

Old 12-26-2017, 12:34 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,237 Posts

“bright metal chrome” is listed on the GMEPP exclusion list. So unfortunately it’s not covered under the extended warranty but as others said earlier your dealer may be flexible. Give it a shot.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 12-26-2017 at 12:40 AM.
$$$frumnuttin' (01-02-2018)
Old 12-26-2017, 12:07 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,219 Likes on 13,929 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by madrob2020
See what your policy says and try to work with your selling dealer. I hope it works out for you.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:19 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
See what your policy says and try to work with your selling dealer. I hope it works out for you.
I have the forum's Fitchner policy, just a certificate to show the dealer when I have service done. No other documents.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chrome OEM wheels with pitting defects after factory warranty expired....