C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which race ramp do you guys recommend?

Old 12-15-2017, 01:00 PM
Saint_Spinner
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Which race ramp do you guys recommend?

Hi folks,

I'm in the market for a race ramp to do my own oil changes/maintenance and etc. I already have jackstands/jackpoint jackstands and low profile jack and etc, but am curious about just driving the car up onto ramps.

I have an M7 Z51 lowered on stock bolts. I went to the race ramp website, but the numerous choices made my head spin a little. I'm looking for one with the shallowest incline, since I've always been paranoid about overshooting over the top of the ramps.

You guys have any recommendations as to which ramps I should get?

Thanks y'all!

Old 12-15-2017, 01:17 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I just have the most basic race ramps, the 56" model I believe, and it worked just fine on my C6 which was lowered as far as you can go on the stock bolts. I still had room to spare going up the ramps, it didn't scrape. You won't overshoot the ramps, just take it slowly.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:22 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,187 Likes on 3,439 Posts

The longer the better. Mine are about 63" or so, and my stock height '18 spoilers just touch 'em going up and down.

(btw, I knew the left ramp was upside down; don't be concerned. I only use the first section but this time added the higher one to placate my wife who was concerned about me. I DO attend to which side is up when really using both pieces)
Attached Images  

Last edited by Avanti; 12-15-2017 at 03:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Art17 (12-16-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 04:20 PM
RiCorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 73 Posts

I already had a set of Rhino Ramps for 'Normal' Cars and was hard pressed to justify a new set, so I made my own extensions out of scrap 2 x 10 that a sympathetic neighbor in my Business park supplied

I cut the 6' long piece in two, put my woodworking tools and skills to use, beveled both ends and "presto change-o!' a set of extensions at a gentle incline. The Ramps and Extensions are loosely connected by a 3/8" bolt dropped into a counter-sunk hole n the Extensions and then into the hanger hole of the Ramps

Last edited by RiCorvette; 12-15-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:57 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I'd consider the Quick Jack instead, more money but more useful for most people.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:09 PM
Tommyleo
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ramps

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I'd consider the Quick Jack instead, more money but more useful for most people.
I don't like ramps. You can get hurt! Oh also winter storage.
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2017, 10:16 PM
MWHITED
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I've got the longest two piece for trailer loading. If you have to go long, consider the two piece. Easier to store.
Attached Images  
Avanti (12-16-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 10:24 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

I bought the 67" 2 piece Race Ramps for oil changes.
Also used them once to install Z51 sway bars when I had the C6.
Did the front, and backed onto them for the rear.
The 2 piece ones are nice as you can remove the short incline piece and get under the car from the side.
With the Holidays they might have a sale at some point.
I bought mine when on sale and got 2 free chalk blocks for use on the front tires when car is on the ramps against the stop at the top.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:40 PM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

You can use the Service Ramp Calculator at this link to help choose the correct ramp for your car.

https://www.reverselogic.us/race-ramps

The calculator shows you the inch-by-inch car-to-ramp clearance.

An easy way to avoid overshooting the ramp is to place a wheel chock in the path of the rear tire. You can adjust the side view mirror to see the rear tire and wheel chock to gauge how much further you need to go to reach the ramp platform. The first time you do this you will have to take the time to determine where to position the wheel chock so that the front tire reaches the ramp tire stop at the same time the rear tire reaches the wheel chick.

Originally Posted by Saint_Spinner
Hi folks,

I'm in the market for a race ramp to do my own oil changes/maintenance and etc. I already have jackstands/jackpoint jackstands and low profile jack and etc, but am curious about just driving the car up onto ramps.

I have an M7 Z51 lowered on stock bolts. I went to the race ramp website, but the numerous choices made my head spin a little. I'm looking for one with the shallowest incline, since I've always been paranoid about overshooting over the top of the ramps.

You guys have any recommendations as to which ramps I should get?

Thanks y'all!

Last edited by Fred@ReverseLogic; 12-11-2019 at 12:03 PM.
DWS44 (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 06:19 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Nice Ramps.Don't forget side entrance,very important.Removable side pieces for entrance and side work items like skirts etc.
Couple tings to think about before spending about 400 to 500.Plus rear matching blocks,cost ??
If you have height issues in your garage.Ramps or Jacking are your only options.If a lift fits? Your not far from the cost of a lift.
Get out you tape measure be sure before your choice.
Don't forget that hanging garage door opener height.
One more ting:No access to brakes or wheel maintenance with ramps.
Not much you can play with under their so spend wisely.
Just thinking.Carry on
Old 12-16-2017, 06:56 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommyleo
I don't like ramps. You can get hurt! Oh also winter storage.
Obviously a lift is the most ideal thing to have but many of us can't afford one or have the proper space for one either. I don't understand why you say you can get hurt with ramps though. I see almost no chance of getting hurt using Race Ramps, they are more than strong enough to hold the weight of the car so they aren't going to collapse on you.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:06 AM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Comments below in red...

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Nice Ramps. (Agreed. ++fg) Don't forget side entrance,very important.Removable side pieces for entrance and side work items like skirts etc. (Just as important, 2-pc ramps simplify transport and storage. ++fg)

Couple things to think about before spending about 400 to 500.Plus rear matching blocks,cost ??
If you have height issues in your garage.Ramps or Jacking are your only options.If a lift fits? Your not far from the cost of a lift. ($400 to $500 is not really that close to $1500. ++fg)
Get out you tape measure be sure before your choice.
Don't forget that hanging garage door opener height.
One more ting:No access to brakes or wheel maintenance with ramps. (True, but the ramps can facilitate getting your floor jack under the car. They can also be used in your driveway or in the field. ++fg)
Not much you can play with under their so spend wisely. (For us old guys, putting the car on the ramps helps for routine cleaning and detailing of the side skirt area. ++fg)
Just thinking.Carry on

Last edited by Fred@ReverseLogic; 12-16-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Which race ramp do you guys recommend?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which race ramp do you guys recommend?