Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 06:57 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Default DIY PPF and what I need to cover

Hey Guys,

I wanted to know if anyone has applied the PPF on their own or know of kits to buy with precut pieces? 3k is a lot for me to spend even though it is very good. I try to do everything myself if I can.

I would think the bumper would be the hardest, so I can could see paying someone to do that. But the hood or rear panel are mostly flat.

My vette will have side skirts and I hope to put on the splash guards too. So I need it fro the rear panels in front of the rear tires? What about behind the rear tires? I don't think the whole car needs wrapped so I want to make sure I get all the right places.

What I think:
- front bumber
- hood
- rear quarter panels (if side skirts protect this, then remove from list)
- maybe side mirrors

I am considering the top just because I would handle it so much. Protect it from rings, handling when not 100% clean, and basic use.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:17 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I believe xPel has a website and the precut kits are available there. However they are pricey and you may end up paying a professional after you see the cost.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:20 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,688 Likes on 5,590 Posts

I've seen the professionals struggle with installs, so not something I would want to try even though I'm pretty handy in the garage.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 12-23-2017 at 08:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pkincy (12-22-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 06:42 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

So not as easy as putting on a phone screen protector? hahah
Old 12-27-2017, 05:44 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

No other opinions or suggestions?
Old 12-27-2017, 06:58 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I think the general feeling is to certainly apply your own Ceramic Coating but leave the wrap to the experienced professionals.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:03 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 789 Posts

Good luck.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:46 PM
Widgeon5
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Hey Guys,

I wanted to know if anyone has applied the PPF on their own or know of kits to buy with precut pieces? 3k is a lot for me to spend even though it is very good. I try to do everything myself if I can.

I would think the bumper would be the hardest, so I can could see paying someone to do that. But the hood or rear panel are mostly flat.

My vette will have side skirts and I hope to put on the splash guards too. So I need it fro the rear panels in front of the rear tires? What about behind the rear tires? I don't think the whole car needs wrapped so I want to make sure I get all the right places.

What I think:
- front bumber
- hood
- rear quarter panels (if side skirts protect this, then remove from list)
- maybe side mirrors

I am considering the top just because I would handle it so much. Protect it from rings, handling when not 100% clean, and basic use.

Thanks for the help.

Like other responders, I strongly suggest letting a pro do the whole job. And not just any "pro" but the best shop within range. I'm near you in Bloomington, IN but I took it to Esoteric Auto Detailing near Columbus, Ohio. A superb job. They recommend Suntek, which I got, but will do Expel also. I learned that it was not for amateurs when I applied Expel's temporary "Track-Wrap" because my appointment was 6 weeks away. As an amateur doing your first car, you would be highly dissatisfied with your end result. I did everything forward of the doors, rocker panels all the way back, the mirrors and some behind the rear wheels. And all of the Stage 3 aero except the rear spoiler. Around $2500 in 2016. (ZO6/ZO7).

Last edited by Widgeon5; 12-27-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:03 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
So not as easy as putting on a phone screen protector? hahah
No it's not that easy. And it takes a lot more time than you think.

First of all this is where you can buy pre-cut Xpel Ultimate kits as well as bulk stock. Also get yourself a squeegee or two from them too.

http://44tools.com/

Start with the easier panels. Anything straight and flat. The easiest ones I did were the hood (bikini cut), mirrors, door sills and head lights. Anyone can do those. I did my side skirts and splitter (off the car) and those were a bitch because they are not straight at all.

Some suggestions:

1 - Be Clean. Clean the car, clean your tools, clean your hands. If you get something under the film you will see it.

2 - You want two spray bottles. One for tact and one for slip. Slip is just tap water with a little baby soap. Tact is just distilled water and alcohol (google it).

3 - The film stretches a lot. A lot more than you think. I did my bumper and could not believe how far the pre-cut kit stretched.

4 - I don't suggest you cut any film on the car. Cut it before you apply.

5 - If you get a bubble or two they will probably dry out. But don't chance it, do a good job with the squeegee starting from the center moving out. Press down hard and even.

I bought pre-cut kits for the bumper and the the bikini cut for the hood and fenders (it also included the mirrors). The rest I did with bulk pieces. I probably spent $350 for all of the above and that includes re-doing the hood (twice .. once for a bubble that pissed me off and the second time I had a blade of grass under the film) with bulk stock. When I re-did the hood I was also able to wrap the edges.

Don't let anyone tell you that you cant do it. It just takes patience. I did it for fun.
Attached Images    
~Stingray (12-29-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 06:53 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

I love DIY and don't want to discourage you, but this is one project I'd leave to an experienced professional. A lot of examples on the forum of a DIY job that resulted in the film going in the trash.
Woodson (12-29-2017)
Old 01-03-2018, 10:43 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I think it will depend on the cost of pieces. If I feel I could waste hundreds of dollars, I might give a second thought to the DIY.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:09 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

There isn't much I won't DIY. I have extensive paint experience as well as the love of tearing things apart and rebuilding them better than ever. In an attempt to save you hundreds of dollars in wasted materials, please don't DIY this. I hated paying for it, but had no choice. Had both my Camaro and Corvette professionally XPELed.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:50 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by ls3zob
There isn't much I won't DIY. I have extensive paint experience as well as the love of tearing things apart and rebuilding them better than ever. In an attempt to save you hundreds of dollars in wasted materials, please don't DIY this. I hated paying for it, but had no choice. Had both my Camaro and Corvette professionally XPELed.
Have you ever heard of the PPF damaging the clear of the paint? I found some small pieces on amazon, 36" x 50" pieces for about $30-50. That would be big enough to try on a t-top for a 1980, side mirror, spoiler or side skirt. I know these will most likely be the best quality but they would give me a really good idea of how well I think I could do it before I buy the expensive stuff.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:57 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 789 Posts

Good lord. Take a crowbar to your wallet and get it done right.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:59 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

OP, applying PFF on a test are will not damage your clearcoat at all (unless you use some superhuman strength to gouge through). So you're fine there. However, I'd recommend paying about $20 for a 1'x3' section of XPEL instead of the cheap stuff. This way you get to practice with the good stuff and see actual results.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:08 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=~Stingray;1596311142]Have you ever heard of the PPF damaging the clear of the paint? [/0QUOTE]

I'm no expert, but not in my experience. Aged PPF might need a little heat to help it off, but I never had a problem.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:17 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
I love DIY and don't want to discourage you, but this is one project I'd leave to an experienced professional. A lot of examples on the forum of a DIY job that resulted in the film going in the trash.
Very flat areas are easy. Say like door sills. 6 ft of 12 inch expel ultimate will cost around $40. That's an easy place for anyone to try.

You are right though, places like the front bumper are difficult and very time consuming. It cost me $175 for a pre-cut if I remember right and I would not have been happy if something went wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY PPF and what I need to cover

Old 01-04-2018, 04:20 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

This is a pic of the hood on my 13 1LE. It came wrapped from the factory. I had damaged it early on, then damaged it again during a trackday last summer. So I decided to rewrap it. I’m sure most will consider this a relatively flat panel. Good news here is it’s not see-thru, lots you can hide. Even this I tried but quickly realized that it’s above my skill level, took it to a buddy who does wraps and had him do it. I helped, but mostly with beer and pizza. My extensive paint, interior and mechanical skills mean nothing in this department. But try it yourself with a few small pieces and see what you think.
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2018, 04:29 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ls3zob
This is a pic of the hood on my 13 1LE. It came wrapped from the factory. I had damaged it early on, then damaged it again during a trackday last summer. So I decided to rewrap it. I’m sure most will consider this a relatively flat panel. But try it yourself with a few small pieces and see what you think.
You tried the entire hood? That's not easy for sure. Please take back what I wrote and insert small before the word flat.

p.s. - did you use a pre-cut piece or did you start with a ~5 ft piece of bulk?
Old 01-04-2018, 04:50 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

5' bulk. Yes sir, I just wasn't talented enough to get any further than the flat cowl area

Quick Reply: DIY PPF and what I need to cover