Sponsored by:

GM to buy back my LEMON?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 02:01 PM
wattleskin
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GM to buy back my LEMON?

Ok, here's my story in a nutshell. Bought my car from Chevy Dealer in Minnesota and had it shipped to Billings, MT. 3,000 miles on a 2014 C7.
In 1 year, it's been in the shop 14 times. sitting at dealer over 3 months. this last time 3 weeks and counting.
Problems:
1. lump in drivers seat left side. Discovered in had a chunk of foam out at factory and someone glued in a chuck of other foam before factory got it. lump was shaved down and repaired. still kills my left leg. Dealer wont replace cushion.
2. replaced navigation screen
3. replaced entire torque tube from tranny to rear end
4. rear end binding when backing out of driveway. replaced lube in rear end.
5. ticking sound from engine when accelerating. after 3 times at dealer, it was a belt tentioner.
6. lights in dash and nav flash on and off at random times. still doing it. dealer can't find problem
My car now has 8000. miles. My warranty will soon expire. I don't want to start paying out of my pocket for a pre-existing problem. GM is talking about extending the warranty on the electrical problem rather than figuring it out;
Car is still sitting there under snow and dealer hasn't even called me back.
I know you all have opinions, but I'm looking for an answer on what to do.
Attached Images   
Old 12-24-2017, 02:15 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Did you buy this car new or used? You may have already missed your opportunity to "Lemon Law" it:

“Montana’s New Motor Vehicle Warranty Act helps consumers who have bought a new vehicle that qualifies as a “lemon.” When repeated attempts at repair have been unsuccessful, the law may require the manufacturer to replace or repair the defective vehicle.”

The Lemon Law covers:
  • vehicles purchased, titled or leased in Montana, provided they are less than two years old and have 18,000 miles or less on the odometer. This includes motorcycles.
  • substantial defects that impair the use, market value or safety of the vehicle
The Lemon Law does not cover:
  1. vehicles purchased for business use
  2. trucks over 10,000 lbs. GVW
  3. non-motorized and off-road vehicles
  4. the “residential” portion of motor homes
  5. defects resulting from accident, abuse, neglect, modification or alteration by anyone other than the manufacturer or authorized dealer
Warranty Period
The warranty period ends two years after the date of the vehicle’s original delivery to the consumer, or the first 18,000 miles of operation, whichever occurs first. This period can be extended for up to a year if a defect is reported, in writing, to the dealer or manufacturer during the warranty period but has not been cured by the expiration of the period.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 02:18 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I'm quite sure all those problems are quite disheartening. I would suggest checking your states lemon laws as they are different from state to state. In mine to lemon law a car you must have given the dealer a chance to fix a problem 3 times, or the car has been at the dealer for a time period (I can't remember how long though) working on the same problem without a fix. If you can't cover your's with a lemon law under your states guidelines, I suggest you ask for an extended warranty that covers the entire car, or negotiate with the dealer to pay some amount on the warranty and you pay the rest. I wish you luck as I know I would be unhappy also.
dvilin (12-25-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 02:21 PM
sharpie711
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by wattleskin
Ok, here's my story in a nutshell. Bought my car from Chevy Dealer in Minnesota and had it shipped to Billings, MT. 3,000 miles on a 2014 C7.
In 1 year, it's been in the shop 14 times. sitting at dealer over 3 months. this last time 3 weeks and counting.
Problems:
1. lump in drivers seat left side. Discovered in had a chunk of foam out at factory and someone glued in a chuck of other foam before factory got it. lump was shaved down and repaired. still kills my left leg. Dealer wont replace cushion.
2. replaced navigation screen
3. replaced entire torque tube from tranny to rear end
4. rear end binding when backing out of driveway. replaced lube in rear end.
5. ticking sound from engine when accelerating. after 3 times at dealer, it was a belt tentioner.
6. lights in dash and nav flash on and off at random times. still doing it. dealer can't find problem
My car now has 8000. miles. My warranty will soon expire. I don't want to start paying out of my pocket for a pre-existing problem. GM is talking about extending the warranty on the electrical problem rather than figuring it out;
Car is still sitting there under snow and dealer hasn't even called me back.
I know you all have opinions, but I'm looking for an answer on what to do.
Most states wont lemon law a used car if it was purchased pre-owned. I had a ton of issues with my 2014 and there are not many options on a pre-owned unless GM will do something to help you out.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:30 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

figure how to trade it in to the dealer[where its sitting] and get a new one,,but keep beating on GM for help
Old 12-24-2017, 02:33 PM
wattleskin
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Did you buy this car new or used? You may have already missed your opportunity to "Lemon Law" it:
Thanks for the insight. believe it or not, I'm not upset at all. I can always sell or trade it with the low miles and cash out, but I was hoping to keep it. Trying to figure..should I trade up to new one, cash out, get something else. Bentley? New Lexus sports car? the new Mazda rx9 looks intesting. or leave it in a skid row area with the keys on the dash.... ha! just kidding.. I knew a guy that did that with his porsche.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:42 PM
sharpie711
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the insight. believe it or not, I'm not upset at all. I can always sell or trade it with the low miles and cash out, but I was hoping to keep it. Trying to figure..should I trade up to new one, cash out, get something else. Bentley? New Lexus sports car? the new Mazda rx9 looks intesting. or leave it in a skid row area with the keys on the dash.... ha! just kidding.. I knew a guy that did that with his porsche.
I gave GM and the Corvette name one more try and got a 2017. If this one doesnt work out ill move to a different brand of sports car. I really love the car and its a bargain for what you get...atleast when it works properly. I would totally understand if you moved to a new platform with your issues, i was heavily considering it. If i had to pick another car it would most likely be a GT350 or Hellcat.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:16 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

After all this? Trade the thing and get something else. NO way would I deal with that much crap.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:02 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

same color as a lemon ...
Old 12-24-2017, 05:40 PM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Crushinator
After all this? Trade the thing and get something else. NO way would I deal with that much crap.
Originally Posted by MlwYlw
same color as a lemon ...
Unload it.
snappy2u (12-26-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 05:55 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,287 Likes on 13,963 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

With all those problems and no solution made to some of them, I would seriously consider getting out of that car. Whether you want to try another Vette is up to you, or perhaps look at another brand.

Of course you could always try another dealer and see what they say.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:25 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Just checked out WA state's law. Couple of relevant points:

1. You DO NOT have to be the original purchaser.

2. You must file within 30 months of the cars original purchase, so for THIS car it would have to have been ORIGINALLY purchased August of 2015 or later.

3. The car had to have been originally purchased in WA State to use the WA state law.

Obviously, there are 49 other states whose laws may be different. Just thought this would help give an idea of what I suspect are typical provisions.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:34 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Montana (where OP states his car was shipped to when he bought it) Lemon Laws were already posted in post #2. Probably more relevant that WA state law.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:40 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Pardon me for contributing. I apologize. Merry Christmas.
1987LC2 (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 10:11 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,208 Likes on 3,454 Posts

Talk with your attorney and see what you CAN do.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:22 PM
1987LC2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Pardon me for contributing. I apologize. Merry Christmas.
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2017, 11:40 PM
dbintegrity
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sharpie711
I gave GM and the Corvette name one more try and got a 2017. If this one doesnt work out ill move to a different brand of sports car. I really love the car and its a bargain for what you get...atleast when it works properly. I would totally understand if you moved to a new platform with your issues, i was heavily considering it. If i had to pick another car it would most likely be a GT350 or Hellcat.
RUN like a bat out of hell from the Ford product... they're having their own issues... The Hellcat on the other hand may be worth a peak

Get notified of new replies

To GM to buy back my LEMON?

Old 12-25-2017, 01:00 AM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

get something else. These cars seem to have one problem after another. I have a 16 M7 so far OK. Litte things here and there but my C6 was bullet proof. Wish I had it back. If I were in your shoes I would be looking to strangle G M. But if you have been around a long time then you would know GM has always been a dog of a company. Quality in the dumpers.

Last edited by kaplana08; 12-25-2017 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:29 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Looks like the last line may be the only chance. Get the cars history and see what was done and when before you owned it!
Old 12-25-2017, 11:07 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

I would trade it in.
The following 2 users liked this post by dvilin:
Rebel Yell (12-25-2017), Skid Row Joe (12-25-2017)

Quick Reply: GM to buy back my LEMON?