Sponsored by:

Panel Gaps on new post plant 2018

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 10:25 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,607 Likes on 5,563 Posts

Originally Posted by capeli
Why do people keep pulling out the ‘mass produced’ card to explain the problems with paint finish and panel gaps. Mass produced Hyundai’s have better paint finish and panel alignment. It’s all about quality of workmanship and pride in your product. One solution might be to hire a few Korean plant supervisors to help sort things out.

I believe most of us agree that the C7 provides more HP and performance for the dollar spent then perhaps any or at least most other "sportscars".
However, that shouldn't give GM a pass that the C7 which averages around $78,000 MSRP should not have the quality of Fit & Finish and components (carpet for example) of a $25,000 car.

If GM can't provide good basic quality at current price point, perhaps they should raise the C7 price.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:34 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
If the panels rub and the paint chips, bring it in under warranty to get it fixed.
Based on what I have read on this forum and heard about the personal experiences of Corvette owners in my area, I wouldn't trust my local dealerships to even do an oil change. In fact I had to drive 100 miles to get a car at a dealership willing to do a Courtesy Delivery at a reasonable price. Very unfortunate that I have this initial perception.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:38 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Avanti
Welcome to relatively cheap mass-production. But, ENJOY, nevertheless!!!

p.s. heat expansion should not be a problem unless you park much closer to the sun than anywhere in Floriday allows.
I do intend to enjoy the heck out of this car and am already doing so. As a professional engineer, if a problem exists, I want to solve it. First step is to find out if a problem exists
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 11:07 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Yep, I think its fairly common. I know my hood alignment is off a little. It sounds when I checked around that this is kind of a given for this car, but much better than the c6 was.
The following 2 users liked this post by spinkick:
Frosty (12-27-2017), Skid Row Joe (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 12:02 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
The reason for poor C7 Fit & Finish is that so many accept it.
There's some truth to this. If you bought a 120K BMW you'd expect good gaps and so on. But a 120K Chevy? Well, if they're wrong you've got 12 months to hope the dealer can fix them, which they won't, and you'll get a smelly Sonic as a loaner if you even get one!

Which sounds like random whining, but I actually like my car and its gaps are OK. But if they weren't I would havn't a lot of recourse because it is, after all, "just a Chevy".

Last edited by davepl; 12-27-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:04 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

There have been many discussions of this over the years, both here, and in other places, but the fact is metal-body cars tend to be easier to produce w/ perfectly aligned panels. The manufacturing process of SMC body panels, as well as the nature of the material itself, creates more panel variability.

It's not that GM can't do it. Their metal-bodied cars today are comparable to most other manufacturers. Years ago, that wasn't the case.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:03 PM
Miro
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been in north America auto industry for 30 years and I know exactly what you're talking about crafstmanship
I am with you 100%
Old 12-27-2017, 04:06 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by c54u
I have a 2017 and all gap spacing is good enough for me....pretty much symmetrical spacing around my doors, hatch and hood and my front bumper and rear bumpers are pretty much flush. Is it perfect?.....no.
Is mine perfect? If it isn't, I haven't seen or found the imperfections.

Maybe I just lucked out with mine (too).
Maxie2U (12-28-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 04:25 PM
itchiesvette
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mdshaffer
All- I am a first time Corvette owner so am new to the SMC and carbon fiber panels.

I have read that the panels on earlier generations were installed to provide 5 MM of separation to accommodate expansion from heat. Because of a material change on the C7 panels, the gaps were able to be reduced to 3 MM because of reduced heat expansion. Here is an example and there are a few more from some years ago

http://corvettec7fiasco.blogspot.com...anel-gaps.html

As further background there have been some threads about paint chipping on the front fender to bumper seams, especially on recent 2017s. It appears that this is not caused by the gaps being insufficient, but from poor paint preparation on the edges. The fact that there are many body seams on Corvettes and other makes which have no gaps at all and no chips seems to back up this theory.

I have just taken delivery of a post plant upgrade 2018 and the gaps are inconsistent- I guess there is only so much that can be done with these panels. The hood has much less than 3 MM on one side and more than 3 MM on the other side. So does the rear hatch. Near the top of both doors, it is a whisker away from hitting the front fender when opened- a bit concerning. The front and rear bumpers have no gaps and are flush with the fenders.

I have mixed feelings about this and thus this post. On a positive note all the panels are on wonderfully straight and are not canted like some are reporting; and reducing the gaps between the panels improves the overall appearance. However on the flip side, if carried too far by intention or by assembly inaccuracy, could heat expansion cause a problem if the gap is less than the reported design 3 MM number I have seen quoted? I still tend to think this is nothing to worry about because I have a hard time believing cars could leave the factory without passing some sort of gap QA. But it is worth asking the question in case I should have these panels adjusted.

Is there someone who knows more about these panel manufacturing tolerances and so on that can shed some light on all this. I sure hate to think that the first day I leave the car in the hot Florida sun that I might have to gingerly open the doors to see if they rub because the panels are mounted so tight or that vibration and flexing of the body could cause rubbing and chipping in a few hundred miles.

BTW- just had an experienced Corvette owner look at my paint and he backs up the Factory claim that the OP is now significantly less than it has been. No surprise that panel waviness is still visible.

Appreciate any thoughts!

Have been requested to post pictures of the gaps. They are posted in the following order. Enjoy!

Driver Front Clip
Passenger Front Clip
Driver Front part of Hood
Passenger Front part of Hood
Driver Hood to Windshield
Passenger Hood to Windshield
Driver Rear Clip
Passenger Rear Clip
Im not sure you are going to get the answer .
My 2017 GS with 175 miles on it started to chip at both the front and rear bumper where they meet the fender . I am told that GM is now using a piece of Mylar in the front gap but have no idea about the rear.
I have called the dealer who is well aware of the problem and said he will fix it in the spring . Until then it is under its cover in my heated garage .
I would contact your dealer .
Frosty (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 05:08 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by mdshaffer
I agree that mass production is not the root cause of the variation of the panels. As you say, there are plenty of far larger volume mass produced cars that have consistent gaps. Instead I perceive that the variation of panel gaps in a Corvette is due to the fact that the body panels are not robot welded metal. I can't think of any mass produced car that is similar.

In fact, I believe that the Corvette is still very much a hand made car, much like my 1989 Porsche 911 was which was considered to be the last year that 911s were hand-made in Zuffenhausen. Sure the factory workers at BG have all sorts of specialized tools to manipulate heavy parts and automation help at their workstations to help manufacture the car, but at the core, there are still lots of people doing things like bolting on panels.
In that vein-
When we bought our new 2009, the dealer had two absolutely identical cars available. I test drove both and couldn't feel any difference. So I had the dealer park them outside, side-by-side, so I could inspect the panels and gaps. Both cars were almost identical in that respect also. But as I spent nearly an hour carefully walking around them, I noticed that the gaps and fitment were changing ever so slightly depending on the sun intensity and angles.

If everything fits perfectly when the car is in the shade at 50'F, it will be different in the sun at 90'F. And vice-versa. Not to say that some cars don't clearly need adjustment.
Frosty (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 05:47 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

My new 2017 Arctic White vert's fit:

Arctic White gaps are unforgiving, IMO.
VERY, "black and white:"
Attached Images    
Frosty (12-28-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 06:01 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Gaps and smoothness on the OP's car look the same as my 2018, but it is WGG and it is hard to tell from photos.

Last edited by djnice; 12-27-2017 at 06:51 PM. Reason: clarification
Frosty (12-28-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 06:48 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
My new 2017 Arctic White vert's fit:

Arctic White gaps are unforgiving, IMO.
VERY, "black and white:"
These gaps look very similar to mine. The non-movable panels joints such as front/rear clip to fenders are flush while the gaps between a movable panel like a hood and a fender are narrow and quite tight although they may not be completely uniform. This makes me think a lack of gap or a tight gap is by design

There is another recent thread depicting paint chipping. Examination of the pictures seem to indicate that it is NOT caused by lack of a sufficient gap or rubbing as the chipping appears to occur where the gap is wider. It looks like poor paint preparation on the edges of specific panels as some others have already indicated. Inexcusable from where I sit!

Last edited by Frosty; 12-27-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:37 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

The driver door on my 2017 convertible had a large gap to the real quarter but the dealer was able to improve it. Not perfect, but acceptable. I had a 2010 GS that was so bad, the dealer had to send it back to BG but came back worse. GM allowed me a good trade and discount for a 2012 which I still own.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:54 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,137 Likes on 2,240 Posts

It may be just me but I don’t see any major gap issues or inconsistencies in the pics you posted except for the trailing edge on the right side bumper cover (fascia).

Last edited by Maxie2U; 12-27-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Frosty (12-28-2017)

Quick Reply: Panel Gaps on new post plant 2018