Old 01-05-2018, 09:15 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by gavinvr4
Dealerships are pricing their vehicles base on demographic area along with supply and demand. Yes I have money on hands and ready to purchase.
Knowing that we are only $500 away from closing the deal, and yes I could cough up extra $500, but by no means this would teach the dealership a lesson.
I absolutely do not want to convey a message despite their negative customer service and still make the deal.
If in fact it is Five Star, do not forget that the Chevrolet brand is new to them. Considering where they are in Carrollton on the I-35 N corridor, their normal market is not a high end Z06. They are surrounded by manufacturing plants, apartments and, bungalows dating back to post WWII/Korea. Iirc, Carrollton has one of the largest Hispanic populations in the metroplex. They are used to dealing with a clientele that is into pick up trucks, SUV's and Camaro's.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:27 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
When car sales or profitability get soft they can make such little profit on each car transaction that even WITH the manufacturers back end money (which virtually all car brands offer to franchised dealers) their sales operations aren't profitable overall - service and parts carry the business sometimes. That's not typical, but it happens. Just because you sell a car at 'dealer cost' but then there's say $400 on the back end - that may not be enough profit over say 130 cars sold that month to pay for the sales dept. salaries and expenses.

As for this preposterous notion that a party in a financial transaction is a 'liar' for not disclosing their true financial position - well I guess that makes EVERYBODY in such a negotiation, buyer and seller alike - a liar. Which is what some people here think - but that it only applies to the car dealer. Which is utterly ridiculous. By the way, while I was in the car biz for 10 years, that ended 26 years ago, so since then I've strictly been on the consumer side of the desk.

P.S. If you buy cars new off the lot you're going to get hammered on depreciation more than if you buy used- but buying a Corvette used at a realistic price is much harder than with other cars for a bunch of reasons, and I think #1 is we want what we want (equipment, color, etc.) and there are FAR fewer used Corvettes on the market than say Silverado pickup trucks (you know like 1/10 as many). And if you're going to buy a Corvette new, far better to wait until the car softens up 3+ years into a new generation - than to buy in the first year or two when it's waiting lists and MSRP only. I bought in 2017 and I figure that the same car in 2014 might have cost like $8K+ more.
I have NEVER in 50 years of buying cars all kinds been told the price was sticker or sticker plus. Now I have known the dealers personally. My friend in my teens and after owned a CHEVEROLET dealership he sold CORVETTES at $500 over invoice to everyone no matter who. Car comes in, car gets serviced, paper work done, SOLD, $500 BUCKS Deal OVER
The following users liked this post:
patentcad (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 09:50 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Nobody in these transactions is 'entitled' to anything. And why everybody thinks negotiating a price on a retail car purchase constitutes a personal crusade or an opportunity to take affront - well that's the sophomoric stuff that this place runs on. You can impute motives to car dealership employees, and maybe you're even right on the money sometimes - but so WHAT? If you don't like how they're dealing with you, move on, there's a ton of places that will sell you a new Corvette, and no, not all car dealers or car dealer employees are 'the same'.

Maybe some here, find this sturm und drang over nothing appealing. Believe it or not the car business is a very tough business, and some people get rich selling cars @ retail, but a lot more go bust. I've bought and sold a lot of cars and I GUARANTEE you this: the very LAST thing you will EVER remember about the next car you purchase will be the price you paid or the deal you 'negotiated' (super savvy retail car buying expert that you are) with that hapless car dealer. The price isn't what I ever remember. It's whether I LIKE the car or not, the emotions that went with the ownership experience, etc.

If you look at the Big Picture here the smartest car buyer will save like WHAT, $2K-$3K on a $70K car over somebody who's not so obsessed with price they pay? If that, probably less. And how many Corvettes are you going to buy over the next 10 years, if you're like me maybe TWO. So at best we're talking like $5K over a DECADE but probably $2-$3K if that. That's how it is. I know this because I can do arithmetic.

When I buy a car I grind them down so that I don't think I'm getting hammered (like I'm within $1K of what i think the real bottom line is) and then I let it go, if the car dealer makes a buck, I'm happy. And as much as some may find disputing who's the most crafty car shopper (while demonizing those dastardly evil car dealers) entertaining, it kind of makes my head hurt, maybe because it strikes me as so friggin stupid. But then these days, just reading the the Big Stupid emanating from every other D.C news headline makes my head hurt, so why not?

Carry on boys. And watch out for those car dealers, they're all evil capitalists, they run on the profit motive.
The following 2 users liked this post by patentcad:
BRussell (01-06-2018), Steve_R (01-06-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 09:53 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
I have NEVER in 50 years of buying cars all kinds been told the price was sticker or sticker plus. Now I have known the dealers personally. My friend in my teens and after owned a CHEVEROLET dealership he sold CORVETTES at $500 over invoice to everyone no matter who. Car comes in, car gets serviced, paper work done, SOLD, $500 BUCKS Deal OVER
That's far more typical, it only goes out the window for a year or two when the new Corvette hits the showrooms or whatever the hot car du jour may be. Never lasts. N E V E R.

Which is what I can't understand about the Tesla business model, where they seem to think they can sell every car at list price with no negotiation, and so far, that's what they're doing. What happens when that train goes off the tracks? And unless they defy every other example in car retail sales history, that's what will happen sooner or later.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:51 AM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
Well said!
One post script.

When it's yours or you are a Seller, it's the best car in world and worth far more than any silly book or market says it's worth.
When you are a Buyer, same car is an over-priced piece of crap not worth the space it takes up.
Amazing.

Marty
^^^Exactly.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:55 AM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Dealerships are pricing their vehicles base on demographic area along with supply and demand. Yes I have money on hands and ready to purchase.
Knowing that we are only $500 away from closing the deal, and yes I could cough up extra $500, but by no means this would teach the dealership a lesson.
I absolutely do not want to convey a message despite their negative customer service and still make the deal.
Teach the dealer a lesson? Yeah, you showed him.
Thanks for the morning laugh.
The following users liked this post:
Soonere39 (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 11:40 AM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
You would be right on the money if you were selling a commodity where dozens of identical items were sold in the same neighborhood. That does not happen with cars and especially not with Corvettes. There is too much variance in mileage, color, options, transmissions, condition, and 100 other things. Locations within the same state will even come into play.

In addition to the physical differences there is also the mental mind set of the dealer with the car. In the case of a Corvette, there are those who want it gone tomorrow because of the potential liabilities attached and others who will hold for a long time hoping to hit the proverbial "home run".

Don't ever fall into the trap that Bankers often do. They have access to price guides and even sometimes auction reports. They actually begin to think they understand the market while making their five grand a month and the real used car managers are making six figures annually. If it were all so easy, I could have saved a lot of money by hiring a high school kids who read well to appraise and value my cars.

So tell me. How is a buyer negotiating a price on a vehicle supposed to know which of the 2 mind sets the dealer has?
Since you were in the business, maybe you can teach us some mind reading skills we're not aware of.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:13 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

All you guys outraged along with OP ought to read this:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596324188
Old 01-06-2018, 03:15 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

“Teach the dealership a lesson?”

The only lesson you’re teaching them is that some customers are complete idiots who will cut off their own nose to spite their face. Great job!
Old 01-06-2018, 03:21 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Hmm . . . where have I heard that expression before? We do seem to frequently be on the same wavelength
Old 01-06-2018, 07:52 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Going to be interesting to see how long this thread continues. I got lost in all the responses. Did or did not the op finally buy the car ?
Last I read, the OP was coddled by the good guy, taking the counteroffer, after getting blown out of the dealership by the bad guy.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:03 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Gotta love a happy ending.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:47 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I must have missed the happy ending. The last I heard he wasn't going back just so he could "teach" that bad, bad dealer a "lesson."

Of course, after generating all the righteous outrage against the Darth Vader of all dealers, it would have taken some guts to come back to this thread and announce that.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:55 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Thought it was posted that he bought it.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:08 AM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

$65k is the final price from the stealership *banging my head * should I do it
If the vehicle was sold to someone else...no biggie. I would just have to wait till the next potential right one around. I was never a big fan of yellow but something about yellow on this vehicle is growing on me.
Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Thought it was posted that he bought it.
No, they were within $500 of making a deal & he walked. Which he's entitled to do.
Let's face it, if he wanted the car bad enough he wouldn't have let $500 come in the way. Whether he wants to admit it or not, he wasn't a serious buyer for this car.
Hell, I'm banging my head trying to figure out what possessed him to post a thread on this nonsense.
The following 2 users liked this post by OntarioOrangeC3:
Jmhornz71 (01-07-2018), woodsguy (01-10-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 11:15 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE U
GM would like you believe they solved the problem in 2017. The fact is this is primarily a "automatic" issue, and there is no design in production to date that has resolved this issue. The ZR1 appears to be the first genuine attempt by GM to resolve this issue. Its primarily an issue on automatics tracked (i should have said this above).
Until someone gets a ZR1 on the track nobody should assume they fixed the problem.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:57 AM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Classic good cop bad cop. If you could spend 66 k was that a bad price? Was the blue book price quoted wrong?

Get notified of new replies

To What a dreadful day at the dealership

Old 01-07-2018, 12:54 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Hello everyone thanks for visiting my post, I was just at the dealership today to check out a used 2016 Z06,
LT3 package, Z07 performance, competition seats.
Let me tell you this car is loaded, had 14k miles asking $66,400.
I know I had to work a deal so I shoot an offer of 62k, moments later used car sales manager comes in and asked “Are you serious about buying a car” then he chewed me out with an attitude because of my offers. He went on and said the NADA trade in value at 75k and bank will loan 125% of that. He then questions me “how did you came up with that numbers it is from the sky”. From this point on I felt wow What a genuine customer service, I literally
Felt like I was given a parenthood lessons. At the end he Reinstated that “the Internet price is the final price, do you want to buy it”. I shake my head then he took all the paper documents away from me and leave the room with a quote
”stop wasting my time”. Even the salesman apologize about his manager reaction. I now understands why people are dreadful with purchasing a vehicle.
Actually if indeed it was a Z06, then the interior package would be an LTZ.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:26 PM
gavinvr4
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Search continues......let’s move on.
I value everyone’s opinion.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:05 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17