Sponsored by:

DIC issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 01:39 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts
Default DIC issue

The other day I was cruising I-10 when the DIC display I have used since day one switched to another one. I had not touched the steering wheel control which would enable the different settings.
Subsequent attempts to retrieve my desired setting, which showed the RPM's, distance remaining before fillup, gas mileage, and speed, were to no avail. Anyone else experience similar issues?
I will take it to the dealer - maybe there's a fix available (reflash/TSB?). The car will be out of initial warranty in the near future, and paying to fix an electronics glitch doesn't sound desirable.
Thanks in advance for any solutions/advice.

Popular Reply

12-31-2017, 09:58 PM
Zymurgy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Online conflict posts removed. Help the OP or stay away.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:53 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Might be a good time to crack open your manual and learn about all the modes/displays that your car has and you've been missing.

Or you could just start by pressing the left button on the right side of the steering wheel, use the up and down buttons to select a "mode" then select the middle button. You're now in that mode. Use the up and down buttons to check out all the functionality.

Then repeat by pressing the left button again, then up or down to try another mode.

There's a lot in there that you are missing. There's no need to go to the dealer nor is there a "fix" as per say. There are just settings, settings you have so far neglected to check out.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:03 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 560 Likes on 362 Posts

My '17 GS sometimes seems to start in a different mode than I left it. Doesn't happen often so I just attribute it to gremlins.

Not being able to restore what you want is another thing. I've seen situations where the DIC is stuck because verbal input is waiting for a command. Make sure you've dismissed verbal input.

Last edited by Grand Slam; 12-31-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:09 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

There's a lot in there that you are missing. There's no need to go to the dealer nor is there a "fix" as per say. There are just settings, settings you have so far neglected to check out.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. Went through the manual first, then checked out the modes, going from info to settings. I didn't see any others, and none resulted in retrieving the lost setting..
Old 12-31-2017, 03:11 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Grand Slam
My '17 GS sometimes seems to start in a different mode than I left it. Doesn't happen often so I just attribute it to gremlins.

Not being able to restore what you want is another thing. I've seen situations where the DIC is stuck because verbal input is waiting for a command. Make sure you've dismissed verbal input.

I've never used verbal commands, so have no idea what to "say".
Old 12-31-2017, 09:58 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Online conflict posts removed. Help the OP or stay away.
The following 8 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
767guy (01-04-2018), bjones7131 (01-01-2018), DanZR1 (01-04-2018), JerryU (01-04-2018), Mike Mercury (01-04-2018), red 1 (01-07-2018), Red C8 of Jax (01-04-2018), Stoge (01-07-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-01-2018, 08:10 PM
C82LT
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 352 Posts

A little humor never hurt anyone, but okay.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:53 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bavaria
my desired setting, which showed the RPM's, distance remaining before fillup, gas mileage, and speed, were to no avail.
Each display has RPM's shown. Technically it's not part of the DIC. The DIC is the circular section in each display mode. The RPM's are shown outside of that area. Additionally speed or MPH is always shown, usually in the DIC area (also in the HUD and there's a manual speedometer too).

Based on your description above and looking at the Owner's Manual, available at https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...s%20Manual.pdf on page 116 it says:

DIC Info Pages

The following is the list of all possible DIC info displays.
It also states:

Fuel Range/Instantaneous Fuel Economy:

Fuel Range displays the approximate distance the vehicle can be driven without refueling. LOW will be displayed when the vehicle is low on fuel. The fuel range estimate is based on an average of the vehicle's fuel economy over recent driving history and the amount of fuel remaining in the fuel tank.

Instantaneous Fuel Economy displays the current fuel economy in either liters per 100 kilometers (L/100 km) or miles per gallon (mpg). This number reflects only the approximate fuel economy that the vehicle has right now and changes frequently as driving conditions change.
OK so how do I get there?

As I said, press the left arrow on the right hand side of the steering wheel. You should see a number of selections on the left hand side of the display where the DIC is. Press the up arrow on the right side of the steering wheel until you're at the top selection - The Info mode. Press the center button to "select" Info Mode.

The first thing you should see is just the digital speedometer in the DIC display. Now press the down arrow also on the right hand side of the steering wheel. You are now going through the various informational displays. I suspect the one you want is the one that shows range and also instantaneous MPG, but play around. Go through all the information displays. Try other modes by doing left arrow, down arrow and trying Performance mode. Here you have various informational displays related to performance criteria. There's also Audio, Nav, Phone, etc. Play around.

If this is not the right display could you please describe the "lost display" in more depth?

Last edited by Zymurgy; 01-01-2018 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate comments since the post is otherwise worthwhile
Old 01-04-2018, 02:58 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

An update. Just returned home from the dealer, and they could not retrieve the lost setting (2 service techs and 3 sales people gave it their best, including the person who sits with new C7 owners to explain their systems). Got in a new Corvette and pulled up the setting almost immediately. Was also advised the display and procedures for the setting were the same for the new Corvette and my '15.
Appointment was made for next week to have the diagnostics analyzed. If that also fails, it looks like a new module is in my future. The original warranty runs out next month, so it appears the timing is perfect.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:34 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

The other day I was cruising I-10 when the DIC display I have used since day one switched to another one. I had not touched the steering wheel control which would enable the different settings.
Subsequent attempts to retrieve my desired setting, which showed the RPM's, distance remaining before fillup, gas mileage, and speed, were to no avail. Anyone else experience similar issues?
I will take it to the dealer - maybe there's a fix available (reflash/TSB?). The car will be out of initial warranty in the near future, and paying to fix an electronics glitch doesn't sound desirable.
Thanks in advance for any solutions/advice.
Can you describe the screen that you had and want back?

If you are in "sport", you can push the down arrow on the right side of the steering wheel and about 3 or 4 screens down, you should get the distance remaining before fill-up, v4/v8 mode. Actually you might be "past" that screen so keep pushing that down arrow until you get to the screen.

Does that help?

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 01-04-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:04 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Can you describe the screen that you had and want back?

If you are in "sport", you can push the down arrow on the right side of the steering wheel and about 3 or 4 screens down, you should get the distance remaining before fill-up, v4/v8 mode. Actually you might be "past" that screen so keep pushing that down arrow until you get to the screen.

Does that help?

Elmer

Elmer,
The screen that disappeared showed (from top to bottom) speed, miles remaining on current fillup, mpg, driving mode. Display was surrounded by tach.
On the new C7, display was found one below the one showing trip B distance.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:14 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Elmer,
The screen that disappeared showed (from top to bottom) speed, miles remaining on current fillup, mpg, driving mode. Display was surrounded by tach.
On the new C7, display was found one below the one showing trip B distance.

OK, are you in sport mode? I think that's the one you are describing. Sport mode and the miles remaining stuff underneath.

Like this?

To get to the sport mode, you turn the Driver Mode Control **** on the console. From left to right Weather, ECO, Tour, Sport, Track.
Attached Images   

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 01-05-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:04 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

OK, are you in sport mode? I think that's the one you are describing. Sport mode and the miles remaining stuff underneath.

Like this?

To get to the sport mode, you turn the Driver Mode Control **** on the console. From left to right Weather, ECO, Tour, Sport, Track.

Yes. Didn't work (for any of us).
Thank you.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:33 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Yes. Didn't work (for any of us).
Thank you.
I'm convinced that some people are beyond help...
Old 01-05-2018, 11:45 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by defaria
I'm convinced that some people are beyond help...

...and then there are those who obviously lack the intelligence to help.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:29 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Was the picture of the display in post #12 the display that you wanted to see?

Yes? No?
Old 01-06-2018, 10:37 AM
defaria
Safety Car

...and then there are those who obviously lack the intelligence to help.
To have knowledge that others seek and to display that knowledge proves that the lack of intelligence is surely not with me. And it doesn't take intelligence to help - it takes knowledge and willingness. I just ran out of the later...

I already tried to help you several times. (And BTW "I tried that and it didn't work" style answers are insufficient. What did you try? What did you expect to happen? How did it fail? ... are all followup questions). So have others. It's you who has yet to fully describe your problem or answer the questions that others have asked for clarification. Problem solving is a process, not often a single question and answer session. Hence the beyond help comment. Hell eboggs_jkvl asked you a second time to verify if his picture of your word description of the problem. It contains all the elements of your meager description. I find when you have to ask a person again a question they should have answered before and then feel compelled to narrow them in with a "well yes or no?" question then the person being questioned is not to forth coming with their information and doesn't seem to want to participate in solving the problem. We are not riding in your car. We do not see what you see. If you cannot describe the problems better chances are you won't get it fixed. But it would be you who has made that choice.

Get notified of new replies

To DIC issue

Old 01-06-2018, 11:31 AM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Was the picture of the display in post #12 the display that you wanted to see?

Yes? No?

Yes, that's the one.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:32 AM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

...and I'm almost always in sport mode.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:33 AM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

...and was when I lost the display (end of messages!).

Quick Reply: DIC issue