Sponsored by:

My Theory......

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 03:06 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default My Theory......

as to why are they releasing two high profile versions of the C7 so close together? Because the future of the internal combustion engine, especially in higher powered cars is nearing the "home stretch" and GM wants to get as many sold as they can....what do you think, huh?
Old 01-01-2018, 04:43 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

What "two" high profile versions are you speaking of? The ZR1 and ???
Old 01-01-2018, 04:46 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

ZR1 and ME? The ICE will be around for as long as I'll be driving but we will be seeing more and more hybrids and full electric cars especially if Tesla is successful in selling the Model 3 in sufficient numbers to be profitable. GM seems committed to electrics given that they have marketed the Volt and the Bolt at prices that make them very competitive. Corvette purists are likely to have a hard time accepting anything other than a FE car with an 8 cylinder ICE. Time will tell.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:00 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
as to why are they releasing two high profile versions of the C7 so close together? Because the future of the internal combustion engine, especially in higher powered cars is nearing the "home stretch" and GM wants to get as many sold as they can....what do you think, huh?

I'm not convinced that is accurate. The ZR1 is a natural for the C7 series. after all, it's been done before. Although we have persistent rumors of an ME, there is no assurance that will be a C7 at all. It could be a C8. I do believe we will eventually get a 'Lectric Vette,' but that will be the C9, something we really don't have to concern ourselves with just yet.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:45 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

Marketing is marketing is marketing... whatever they think will sell. This is hardly new nor necessarily dependent on our mind-reading.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:07 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
What "two" high profile versions are you speaking of? The ZR1 and ???
Old 01-01-2018, 06:12 PM
netster
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 01-01-2018, 06:22 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

With all the Teck.Variable Valve Timing,Cylinders Cancelling,Cleaner Air Requirements and HUGE Horsepower Gains.
I can't see all that being replaced and purchased driving a simple Hmmm Machine going point A to point B.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:57 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
ZR1 and ME? The ICE will be around for as long as I'll be driving but we will be seeing more and more hybrids and full electric cars especially if Tesla is successful in selling the Model 3 in sufficient numbers to be profitable. GM seems committed to electrics given that they have marketed the Volt and the Bolt at prices that make them very competitive. Corvette purists are likely to have a hard time accepting anything other than a FE car with an 8 cylinder ICE. Time will tell.
Tesla is afloat only from tax credits
Old 01-01-2018, 07:30 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Originally Posted by budgreen3564
Tesla is afloat only from tax credits
Not really. The tax credits are going to purchasers, not Tesla itself. That means someone who is about to spend $80-$120K on a Model S will get about $5K in tax credits. It's not as if he couldn't otherwise afford the car, but it is an incentive and may push a few people into a sale who otherwise wouldn't go there--just like GM and dealer incentives for Corvettes, which tend to be more, but they are not credits the same way tax credits are. The single loan that Tesla got from the government was paid back in full, early, and with interest. The taxpayers made several million dollars on that deal. The tax credits will evaporate this year as Tesla approaches 200,000 cars sold.

Tesla may or may not make it. We'll see, but Tesla is not equal to the electric car business. GM, Toyota, Volvo, VW, and other companies are getting there as fast as they can, and incentives are only one side of the coin. The other side is more punitive regulations as the government, one way or another, pushes the industry toward electric. So we are definitely going there, but I suggest it's not a "C7" kind of debate and the ME is unlikely to be a c7 anyway. We've got another generation to go before we get there.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:40 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I’m still wondering what the second new “high profile” model is that’s coming soon.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:09 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

It's odd to see so much in print about the Mid Engine. But, if I had to guess, it will become a reality. If everything is just right for its intro (no recession) and if costs to buyers can be kept inline (which may still be up in the air). The timing tho seems like it won't be out for at least two plus years. it's marketing, as said above, and nice "buzz."
Old 01-02-2018, 09:16 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Me To.
Originally Posted by Steve_R
I’m still wondering what the second new “high profile” model is that’s coming soon.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:23 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Old 01-02-2018, 07:37 PM
jwmgr8
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 198 Posts

My theory is GM does not do anything without a focus group!
Then the accountants look at the numbers. They are probably five years out on planning whats next?
The marketing guys get told what the plan is and they figure out how to tease.
I have no idea what GM is going to do until they do it!
Old 01-02-2018, 07:48 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Didn't Tadge say no ME Corvette?
Old 01-02-2018, 07:49 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I give the ICE another 30-40 years. My grandson and his buddies love the video games with all the hot cars. They all go bonkers over any exotic/Zo6 GTR that they see on the street. These kids will be looking for gas guzzling carbon footprint polluting beasts when they are in their 30's and 40's as they know that they are not cheap....My C7 hardly gets a glance from them, yet it is likely the baddest car they will ride in until they can buy their own.
They just love the sound and the fact that it will pin them in the passenger seat. So I think that the theory the OP put up is not going to hold much credence with the kids in my hood

Get notified of new replies

To My Theory......

Old 01-02-2018, 08:55 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

The demise of the ICE in even Corvette level cars is a ways off, and likely does not materially impact GM marketing and sales strategy for some time to come (barring any morons in gooberment getting their fingers in the pie)...
While the Koenigsegg Regera is a jaw dropping 1500 hp "hybrid" mega car with a top speed of 255 mph using a direct drive system, and it and the Tesla will pave paths forward, IMO the costs of the new technology will see the ICE be the mainstay of performance cars for the reasonable future.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:09 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

The Model S can already whip a Corvette. No advanced technology necessary, and it's a sedan. With these cars getting sub 2 second 0-60 times, I'm not sure you can claim they are not in the "performance" category. Can they do Le Mans? Not a chance, but of all Corvettes built, how many have been in an endurance race? It's no more of an issue than "range anxiety." The next generation battery gets 600 miles on a charge, and you usually don't need that anyway. A long commute is considered 50 miles. Just plug it in and charge after midnight when rates are low. About all we're left with, really, is the V-8 rumble everyone loves. That's why the C9 will be electric. and the government will get involved.

The thing is, this stuff is moving faster than you realize. In Norway, for example, not exactly an ideal climate for electrics, over half of all new cars sold are electric. Over half! The rest of the Baltics will follow suit, and when you have countries like France threatening to ban ICE altogether, there will be a snowball effect. William Gibson, the novelist, once said, "The future is already here. It's just unevenly distributed."

I give ICE ten years, at which point you certainly will have an electric in your garage. And that's just about right for the C9. Then the gas stations will start to disappear, just like retail is disappearing today. But don't worry. you'll still be able to listen to exhaust notes on YouTube, just like yiu can see horses in a zoo.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:47 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

North America is way different than Europe. Like completely different. Most Europeans already drive gas sipping smaller cars and they use a lot of public transportation.

Most Americans care less about MPG and prefer their large SUV's and trucks. With Trump in office (not trying to make this policitical) and the pull the large automotive lobbyists have in the US I would expect gas engines to be around for awhile. Electic cars make up such a small percentage of sales today and outside of Tesla, most manufacturers cannot sell them and are losing money on them.

Unless the government mandates it in the US I would not hold my breadth.

Quick Reply: My Theory......