C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, after 15 years of only driving GM cars, I'm done.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:32 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,604 Likes on 6,617 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy

Sorry to hear about your saga. That definitely sucks.

However, you have an incompetent dealer. Find another one. If you think dealer incompetence is limited to GM you have an unpleasant surprise awaiting you.
Can't be happier with my Chevy/BMW/Mercedes Dealer! They give me excellent service and I bought my last 3 Vettes from outside the State! Makes no difference to them.

Service Manager helped me get $800 for a hole in an AC condenser that GM normally does not approve because it could be caused by a rock. I showed the failure was from the inside of a tube and he dealt with the local GM service manager. and I received a full refund!

Just had my alignment adjusted at 400 miles and they followed what I asked for in camber front and rear when only one toe was out of spec! About 45 minute Tech effort and the service scheduler asked several times if I was satisfied. Told him yes and I'd give him an excellent rating when I got a call. Which I did and did!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-03-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:33 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Yep, some dealers ARE that horrible. Sometimes I think they pick up their mechanics at a local 7-11 in the morning and drop them off at night.

Either way, don’t let an incompetent and dishonest dealer sour your experience with GM’s performance cars. They really do make some of the best performance cars in the world, even when compared to cars at a much higher price point.

You have to find a good good dealer to take care of your warranty work, then once the warranty is up, find a good independent mechanic who knows how to work on a Corvette. A good mechanic is worth more than any extended warranty.

My local Chevy dealer screwed up my ‘98 Camaro and almost did a number on my brand new Corvette. I found another dealer about 40 miles away who know their stuff, and I already have an excellent independent mechanic who is going to work on the car when the warranty is up. Problem solved. I love my Corvette, and I have to be diligent in researching the people who work on it. Or else.
The following users liked this post:
The Rabbi (01-06-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 04:35 PM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AllFlash
GM has no control over dealerships outside very tightly written operating rules. Dealerships are, and have to be, independent of GM. If the dealership wrecked your rim, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO with GM. It is not a GM issue. It is the dealerships issue.

Problems associated with the cracked wheel include the fact that, unless you took a picture of that wheel without the crack when you drove in, it is a simple he said she said which nobody can prove.

I feel for you believe me; I have been there and I learned the same many years ago. In the end, however, GM has no control over a dealers operating policy and procedures...as much as they have no control over the price a car sells for.

To give you another example, the dealer does not even have to honor GM incentives if he doesn't want. If GM says 10K off a car and the dealer chooses not to go with that, it is the dealers right to do that. If the dealer wants to add a $20k 'market premium' on a car, he has the right to do that. I actually know of a dealership that signed the preliminary agreement for a Z06 in Canada, only to add a $10K market premium after the fact. The buyer tried all he could...but ended up walking away in the end, after finding out GM would not get involved whatsoever.
+1. Somebody talking sense,
Old 01-03-2018, 04:36 PM
sexmobile
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Originally Posted by village idiot
“That dealership's service is the reason I wont go back to that dealership.
GM's response to their **** dealership is why I'm not buying another GM vehicle.”

Oh you mean the part where GM stepped up to the plate and offered you $500 in “GM parts” credit but YOU REFUSED IT instead demanded for an extended warranty costing $2500 or more.
Really guys, $500 in parts is insulting. Chrysler has given me two extended warranties in 5 years, each valued at $2000, over two broken ramboxes, an alternator and an ac evaporator. I was pleasantly surprised by Chrysler and despite quality issues I would by another.

On my Ford (gt500) I had refusals to even look at my shifter all the way up to the regional rep consulting with the factory. They didn't want to "own it". Another dealer just changed it out and problem was gone.

This is a tough spot with the car not being driveable. I would have flatbedded it to another dealer, maybe. It sucks getting screwed after spending 60k+ on a car.
The following 2 users liked this post by sexmobile:
Crossed Flags Fan (01-06-2018), The Rabbi (01-06-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 04:43 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Dealership problem is one thing- GM's response is what has me livid
This is odd. I don't find anyone so far coming out and saying:
1) you're full of it;
2) your story doesn't hold water;
3) you're a troll;
4) GM is very responsive;
5) call Mary Barra;
6) didn't happen 'cause no pics;
7) there are two sides to every story---waiting for the dealer's side;
8) maybe it was your attitude.

But, you did get the 'find-another-dealer' so I guess things are all right with the world. Except for yours.

Of course, there are other dealers. Even a Stelvio has another dealer---it might be 400 miles away....but hey, just truck it there---at your expense.

It sounds to me as if you've tried your best other than becoming a vagabond heading from dealer to dealer dragging your car behind you.

Have a nice racing day, but don't modify the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by AORoads:
BuLion (01-03-2018), dmaxx3500 (01-04-2018), SLOWRYDE (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 04:47 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by sexmobile
Really guys, $500 in parts is insulting.
$500 for a ONE cracked wheel is insulting? Whatever

Last edited by Maxie2U; 01-03-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:49 PM
evoroadster
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry but I gotta go with the general consensus. It is a dealer only problem. GM has no culpability with respect to a dealer damaging your rim. It was admirable of them to step up when they did but your reactions have succeeded in alienating them from wanting to further deal with you. The bad-guy here is the dealer, not GM. Small claims court is your most likely chance of getting satisfaction. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you in the end.

Last edited by evoroadster; 01-03-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:52 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

GM's response to their **** dealership is why I'm not buying another GM vehicle.”

Oh you mean the part where GM stepped up to the plate and offered you $500 in “GM parts” credit but YOU REFUSED IT instead demanded for an extended warranty costing $2500 or more.
You keep harping on the generous offer of $500. Do you realize that won't even buy one of his wheels for his car?
Crossed Flags Fan (01-06-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 04:54 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,680 Likes on 2,899 Posts

Cracked wheel should be an insurance claim. I filed a claim for a damaged wheel, tire, and alignment after hitting a nasty pothole and my insurance had no problem paying it. My dealer helped facilitate the whole thing and it was no big deal. My 2-cents, find a better dealer to work with and become more reasonable with your expectations/demands.

Last edited by Kracka; 01-03-2018 at 04:56 PM.
The Rabbi (01-06-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 05:02 PM
onebadcad
Race Director

Received 255 Likes on 125 Posts

GM, Chevy and Caddy have all pissed me off, which is why I do not buy new, as the warranty and the stealerships are useless--this is the root of their customer disloyalty.
With that said, my buying objectives place the C6 / C7Z / V2 / V3 at the top of the list for value and performance, also the cost to modify.
I doubt my experience with an Uber vehicle at their dealership would be harmonious, as I am convinced none give a crap after the sale, and are not astute enough to grasp the effect of the entire consumer experience.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:12 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,283 Likes on 844 Posts

This story sounds fishy to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Internets_Ninja:
defaria (01-04-2018), The Rabbi (01-06-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 05:12 PM
VinceBlack
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 67 Posts

What dealership do you work at??
Old 01-03-2018, 05:13 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by 767guy
OP, What dealership so we can all avoid ??
Friendly
Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash
Have you tried going to small claims court? If what you say is true then they are liable. GM has nothing to do with your issue.
What are my damages? What am I suing for? I had a loaner. Meh.

Lol what? It's not like I told them to shove it. They offered $500 and I said I really don't have a use for any GM parts, how about this? She said sure, I'll run it up the ladder and she came back saying it's my fault the car was in the shop so long because I got non GM work done on my car they had to fix, which was total bullshit.
And a warranty is like $1200. Chill out.

I wouldn't be expecting **** if they cracked a wheel and replaced it. The fact that they lied to me about EVERYTHING- from changing my oil to not being responsible for the wheels because they're aftermarket (not true- OEM) to lying to GM about me getting repairs done at a different facility AND HAVING MY CAR FOR +10 WEEKS is what the problem is.

If absolutely nothing else, I paid for 3 months worth of track time on my membership that I couldn't use the car for. That alone is more than $500- certainly more than $500 towards GM parts with exclusions for anything useful like tires.

edit: misread this post.

Originally Posted by Kracka
Cracked wheel should be an insurance claim. I filed a claim for a damaged wheel, tire, and alignment after hitting a nasty pothole and my insurance had no problem paying it. My dealer helped facilitate the whole thing and it was no big deal. My 2-cents, find a better dealer to work with and become more reasonable with your expectations/demands.
LOL what? Get out of here. I'm not making a claim on my insurance for THEM cracking my wheel. The wheel was just fine when it came in and for the two weeks it sat on the lot. Then after they test drove it, they magically discovered it can't hold air for more than 2 minutes and that's the first time the OnStar notice goes off?

Last edited by village idiot; 01-03-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Gonzo (01-06-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 05:16 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,400 Likes on 1,587 Posts

I find brand loyalty to be antiquated...
Woodson (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 05:20 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sTz
I find brand loyalty to be antiquated...
I wouldn't say I was "loyal" to GM in as much as they made cars I liked the most. Relatively low upkeep if you track them, good power, easy to work on, stuff I'm more familiar with (pushrods, etc) and a manual. I like the tall gearing. I dunno, maybe I just got used to them.

It's actually mostly their engines, to be honest. I've only owned GM's V8's my whole life:
LT1 Camaro
LT1 Camaro
LS1 Camaro
LQ9 (6.0) Silverado (swapped from 4.8 because I couldn't get a 6.0 at the time)
LS2 GTO,
LS3 C6
LT1 C7 Z51
LT1 C7-GS

but getting treated like **** does discourage me from buying them.

Last edited by village idiot; 01-03-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:26 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

Sorry, it is not clear to me from your posts if your wheel been replaced or is your car still sitting at the dealership?
Old 01-03-2018, 05:28 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Sorry, it is not clear to me from your posts if your wheel been replaced or is your car still sitting at the dealership?
Sorry- it was replaced by them, eventually. They didn't really deny that they cracked the wheel after they saw it was sitting there for two weeks without a problem and then onstar reported 0PSI overnight (no low air warnings, etc). Plus the crack was big. No way it would go even an hour without being nearly completely flat.

Get notified of new replies

To Well, after 15 years of only driving GM cars, I'm done.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I don't think you read my post correctly.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:35 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AORoads
I don't think you read my post correctly.
Doh! Apologies! I thought you were saying no one has said it outright so you are
Old 01-03-2018, 05:40 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

Makes me wonder WTF they hit during a simple test drive to cause that much damage?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well, after 15 years of only driving GM cars, I'm done.