C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, after 15 years of only driving GM cars, I'm done.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 12:23 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Don't hurt yourself thinking too hard, stud. This one mystery might be above your pay grade.
Here's hoping the rest of your C7 ownership experience is as entertaining as this part was.

Can't wait for the next episode of Village Idiot Visits the Corvette Shop.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:34 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
Why did a 5000 mile car require an alignment?
Well, at least there's a good answer to that question. The alignments done at the BG plant are very crude, averaging 5 minutes or less per car at the end of the assembly process. Some new cars leave BG w/ out-of-spec alignments, and others are OK. It's luck of the draw.

In addition, the range of "acceptable" OEM camber, caster, toe specs are a "mile wide." My new car is going to TPC Racing/DSC Sport almost immediately after delivery for a precise alignment. For me it's not about tire wear, it's about getting the best handling possible.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-04-2018 at 12:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 12:41 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Or,
Perhaps he hit something.
Certainly might explain the cracked wheel.
Maxie2U (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 01:16 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Well, at least there's a good answer to that question. The alignments done at the BG plant are very crude, averaging 5 minutes or less per car at the end of the assembly process. Some new cars leave BG w/ out-of-spec alignments, and others are OK. It's luck of the draw.

In addition, the range of "acceptable" OEM camber, caster, toe specs are a "mile wide." My new car is going to TPC Racing/DSC Sport almost immediately after delivery for a precise alignment. For me it's not about tire wear, it's about getting the best handling possible.
It always pulled a little and I just wanted it corrected. I had a few track days coming up and figured it was a good time to do it before I wear out the outside of another set of tires.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:17 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Or,
Perhaps he hit something.
Certainly might explain the cracked wheel.
Dude- I drove the car there. No problems. Week or two before I got a nail in the tire. Tire patched from the inside- no problems. They had the car for 2 weeks- no onstar notification. Magically after they test drive it, it goes completely flat overnight.

Give it some good thought.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:21 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by defaria
It has nothing to do with a "Corvette brain" - it has to do with the brains of the parties involved. So let's review: You have eggs, I assume you eat them at breakfast. Why you have 3 dozen is beyond me!

You have been posting on an internet forum for GM cars so you're not "done" with that.

I answer C. You're not gonna buy GM cars. One has only to wonder why you would continue to post to forums about products you don't like and have admitted you will no longer buy. The only thing I can think of is that you want to continue to bitch and moan about them.

Well since you won't go quietly in the night but I have another solution....
How fitting. The guy I sarcastically label as the "Corvette brain trust" doesn't understand that term. Woooooosh.

Anyway, with regard to why I would post on a Corvette forum when I own a Corvette, even though I don't plan to purchase another Corvette future- if the answer isn't obvious, I must be misunderstanding the question. It's because I still own a Corvette. When I no longer own a Corvette, I likely won't be posting on a Corvette forum. It's a lot like how when I had a C6 I would post in the C6 sections. Now that I don't, I don't post in the C6 sections.

Problem solving skills here are incredible.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:23 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

It always pulled a little and I just wanted it corrected. I had a few track days coming up and figured it was a good time to do it before I wear out the outside of another set of tires.
There have been documented reports on this forum of C7s delivered with negative rear caster on one side and positive on the other. That would cause the behavior you describe.

The problem is most dealers don't even have the GM tool that allows rear caster adjustment, or even how to go about doing it. I will never take a car like a C7 anywhere other than a race-oriented shop that specializes in very precise alignments.
c5arlen (01-06-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 01:33 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Dude- I drove the car there. No problems. Week or two before I got a nail in the tire. Tire patched from the inside- no problems. They had the car for 2 weeks- no onstar notification. Magically after they test drive it, it goes completely flat overnight.

Give it some good thought.
I did.
Some story you got there.
Yours sounds as flimsy as theirs.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:33 PM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Have you read Tadge’s reply regarding C7 alignment issues and speciality tools required to adjust rear chamber? Many Chevy dealerships apparently do not have these tools to make this important adjustment. I have seen YouTube videos and have read forum members griping about excessive tire wear due to improper alignment coming out of the factory. I think this link below is something you may want to read especially if you are considering taking you vehicle in for an alignment. It is definitely an interesting read and worthy of reading. Cheers.
Maxie2U (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 01:34 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Foosh,

Are these the folks on Washington Blvd in Jessup?
Do you know if you can wait while they do an alignment, or have to drop it off?....... It's an hour and a half away from me.... wouldn't mind, if I can wait.

OP,,,,,, sorry, didn't mean to hi jack

Last edited by Strake; 01-04-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:36 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Strake
Foosh,

Do you know if you can wait while they do an alignment, or have to drop it off?....... It's an hour and a half away from me.... wouldn't mind, if I can wait.

Yes, that's Mike Levitas' shop (TPC Racing/DSC Sport). He's a former Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona winner and many time IMSA Porsche Cup champion. That shop has a state-of-art alignment rack and all the necessary tools to do it very precisely, and yes, you can wait. Mine took a little over an hour.

Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash
Have you read Tadge’s reply regarding C7 alignment issues and speciality tools required to adjust rear chamber? Many Chevy dealerships apparently do not have these tools to make this important adjustment. I have seen YouTube videos and have read forum members griping about excessive tire wear due to improper alignment coming out of the factory. I think this link below is something you may want to read especially if you are considering taking you vehicle in for an alignment. It is definitely an interesting read and worthy of reading. Cheers.
Yes, see post 127. I've researched this extensively, and you are absolutely right that many dealers can't do it properly.

I have a current C7 which was set up at TPC Racing/DSC Sport along w/ the DSC Sport MSRC controller. That car is on rails. My new car will be going back for the same treatment.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-04-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Strake (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 01:44 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

I did.
Some story you got there.
Yours sounds as flimsy as theirs.
Keep on that conspiracy theory. Sometimes things are exactly as they appear.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:11 PM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Hey Village Idiot - maybe you can explain to all of us stupid idiots on this thread who don’t have a clue something. Question: If General Motors really screwed up your wheel as you are alledging, then why didn’t you ever take them to small claims court for damages? It would be a slam dunk wouldn’t it? I’ve read all your responses in this thread so far and I just don’t buy what you selling. It’s not believable. You have not yet addressed this specific point in a lucid response so even we can understand. A drama free response would be appreciated.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:54 PM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

Old 01-04-2018, 03:05 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Strake
Foosh,

Feel free to contact us at the Race Shop were working on our Sebring car right now but may be able to fit you in call Tom Chan and schedule a morning
Have fun in the snow 410-799-7223

Last edited by DSC Sport; 01-04-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:29 PM
RobertAshby
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I'm at 51 years driving only Chevy and GM products, going to continue. No Chrysler, or Ford's in my future. I don't support foreign cars either.
Hope you do better with another brand but doubtful if another bad dealership.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:30 PM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Hey Village Idiot - maybe you can explain to all of us stupid idiots on this thread who don’t have a clue something. Question: If General Motors really screwed up your wheel as you are alledging, then why didn’t you ever take them to small claims court for damages? It would be a slam dunk wouldn’t it? I’ve read all your responses in this thread so far and I just don’t buy what you selling. It’s not believable. You have not yet addressed this specific point in a lucid response so even we can understand. A drama free response would be appreciated.

See bolded text for the only accurate part of your post.

I don't know the OP, but the reading comprehension of the fan boys participating in this thread was noted earlier and that description continues to be confirmed.

This is truly becoming entertaining to read.

Last edited by gurneyeagle; 01-04-2018 at 03:40 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by gurneyeagle:
Carl Timonen (01-05-2018), Crossed Flags Fan (01-06-2018), RobertAshby (01-04-2018), village idiot (01-04-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Well, after 15 years of only driving GM cars, I'm done.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:34 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

I didn't pay for a tow truck. The dealership replaced my wheel (and tire, because the sidewall was damaged after it sat on a flat for 8 weeks- though it required me getting Michelin involved) and I got a whole oil change out of it (although they did try to scam me out of that).

I guess banging on me chest, paying $250 for a flatbed tow and $500 for a new wheel and $500 for a new tire was the way to go. Then I could tell everyone on the internet how tough am
Sorry- it was replaced by them, eventually. They didn't really deny that they cracked the wheel after they saw it was sitting there for two weeks without a problem and then onstar reported 0PSI overnight (no low air warnings, etc). Plus the crack was big. No way it would go even an hour without being nearly completely flat.
That's some reading you did there. They paid for the wheel and replacement. About a week after the crack, they said they would, then they'd flip flop on excuses (and three weeks for "errr, we couldn't find the part number").

I'm not sure what is so unbelievable about this- or why the hell I'd just let my car sit there for 72 days if nothing was wrong with it.

EVEN IF they didn't replace it, I wouldn't sue them. You know why? My time is worth more than the time it would take to sue them. My hourly rate is $400/hr. The last thing I want to do file a law suit, deal with serving the dealership, deal with their lawyers, go to trial, etc over a $300 wheel that is a piece of crap to begin with. You know what I want? To not jack with this mess, to not have to waste an hour at the dealership trying to sort it out and to not be sending emails asking where the hell my car is.

None of this really matters. The dealer is incompetent and I won't be going back there. It wouldn't deter me from buying a GM again. In fact, I love the dealership I bought it from. When there was talk of an aftermarket wheel from them, they got involved and straightened them out- something they didn't have to do.

My real gripe and reason for ending my 15 year streak (it's actually 18 I think) is GM's response. If a BMW or Porsche dealer said they changed your oil and lied about it, it would be the absolute end of the damn world. That's outright fraud. On top of that they lied about the wheel being aftermarket, the diff fluid being swapped and they took forever to actually get it done. GM basically offered me a Corvette leather jacket and said this isn't a significant enough issue to give you a $1200 warranty extension.

I had 3 months of depreciation. I missed three months of track days (I have a monthly membership + garage there). I had to go **** around with this dealership near a dozen times. They tried to scam me. They lied right to my face. That is a serious problem, and I don't want to do business with a company like that. Honestly, even a $1200 warranty is getting off light. I assure you this is easily worth $1200 of PR. It's certainly not worth losing a lifelong customer over.

Last edited by village idiot; 01-04-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:41 PM
RobertAshby
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hard to believe you'd have your car sit for months over a rim ! I think id have moved a bit faster. Sad you got jerked around by GM rep.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:47 PM
Heavyhauler75622
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...

Just...wow...

The dealership should have done the job. The warranty is not a pretty piece of paper to frame and put up on a wall. It is supposed to be an agreement that you purchased a product with the full faith and assurance that the product is within showroom specs for the duration of the warranty...

GM independently franchises dealerships just to keep them off the easy lawsuit path. Something comes up, they shrug their shoulders and point elsewhere...

If product is coming off assembly lines out of spec, they need to correct it. Especially with performance cars.

HOWEVER:

Track Day. If you're racing, you are putting heavier than normal wear. That voids warranties. The wheel may have been cracking before it went to them, and the bump on the road on the test drive finished it off...

If you REALLY WANTED to upset the apple cart, bring it to the attention of the NHTSA as a possible recall flag. GM and dealerships can screw with everyone EXCEPT Uncle Sugar. He has a big, thick, hard one, and is always looking for someplace to stick it...

The pool of employees worth ANYTHING nowadays is getting vanishingly small. Corporate to grease monkey, education, skills, and ethics are lacking everywhere, and it is not going to get better anytime soon. They can't read, write, do math, communicate, undestand ethics, or anything else. But they all have very high self-esteem and 'Participant' trophies. Just be prepared for a massive meltdown if you ask one to clean a bathroom...

I can't believe some of the responses on this thread. Didn't those of you so accused get that infantile behavior out of your systems by second grade?

My cure for this problem is very simple. I don't buy new. Someone else takes the bullet on depreciation and shakedown issues, and I spin my own wrenches. As for the rest, I work with outstanding repair and modification people for the things I can't handle.

The car is MINE. EVERYTHING is set up as I demand it. I don't middleman with anything, nor do I have to beg, "Please, sir...may I have some more?"

If GM hasn't figured it out by now, another bankruptcy looms in its future very soon; people will buy used, and spare themselves the drama...
Crossed Flags Fan (01-06-2018)

Quick Reply: Well, after 15 years of only driving GM cars, I'm done.