Sponsored by:

Need SD card help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 08:55 AM
Jerrymannal
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Need SD card help

Went to the local Chevy dealer for info and purchase of an SD card for my 2016 PDR. Parts guy didn’t have a clue but searched his data base and gave me info that I needed a 32 Gig so disk formatted FAT32 and 10C. GM and Chevy do not provide such a part. I went on line and was overwhelmed with the choices. Does anyone have a brand and part number or clean description and price for an SD card that works on the Corvette PDR?
Thanks in advance
Old 01-05-2018, 09:09 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Pretty much any SD card formatted FAT32 will work. Available lots of places.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:09 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerrymannal
Went to the local Chevy dealer for info and purchase of an SD card for my 2016 PDR. Parts guy didn’t have a clue but searched his data base and gave me info that I needed a 32 Gig so disk formatted FAT32 and 10C. GM and Chevy do not provide such a part. I went on line and was overwhelmed with the choices. Does anyone have a brand and part number or clean description and price for an SD card that works on the Corvette PDR?
Thanks in advance
You can also go to your local Walmart or Target and get these, most brands are good as long as you get a Class 10 (I use SanDisk) then format FAT32.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 09:22 AM
Jerrymannal
Instructor

OK guys. I should have stated that I’m an IS novice. With that in mind-when I purchase will the sd card be formatted FAT 32 or do I have to format it and if the latter how do I do that. Also when I want to view what was recorded how do I do that and do I need adapters or special slots on my computer? Can I view on my IPad?
Old 01-05-2018, 09:24 AM
2500 hd
Race Director

Received 362 Likes on 231 Posts
St. Jude Donor ‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

OK guys. I should have stated that I’m an IS novice. With that in mind-when I purchase will the sd card be formatted FAT 32 or do I have to format it and if the latter how do I do that. Also when I want to view what was recorded how do I do that and do I need adapters or special slots on my computer? Can I view on my IPad?
I'm curious as well how to format to FAT..
Old 01-05-2018, 09:29 AM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 2500 hd
I'm curious as well how to format to FAT..
Not sure that FAT 32 is viewable by a Mac or how to format it. On a Windows based machine, insert the SD card and pull up the Windows Explorer view. Right click on the 'drive' for your SD card and you'll get an option to 'format' it.

Here are the instructions on how to format to FAT32:

To format a hard disk partition with FAT32
Click to open Computer Management. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

Right-click the partition you want to format, and then click Format.

In the Format dialog box, under File System, click FAT32, click OK, and then click OK again.

Note
If the partition you want to format is larger the 32 GB, the FAT32 option will not be visible.
The following 4 users liked this post by muncie21:
2500 hd (01-05-2018), jimmie jam (01-06-2018), SoCalFinest (01-05-2018), Vet Interested (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 09:47 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

OP. If you want to keep it simple, go to Best Buy or similar electronics store, and ask someone knowlegable for this card. Give them all the detail. They have ones that are pre formatted in FAT32.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maxpowers:
jimmie jam (01-06-2018), Woodson (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 09:58 AM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 482 Posts

Bought this yesterday on the big auction site after researching this same topic. I'm sure it will work right out of the box. About $14 delivered.
ElGreco53 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 10:12 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

At the corvette school we were told a cat 10 sd card, 32 gig size would go right in the pdr and work fine. No formatting necessary.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:20 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

While I think IOS does support FAT 32 file systems I don't believe an iPad has a place to plug in an sdcard. Get a real computer!
Old 01-05-2018, 10:30 AM
scuba pro
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The SanDisk pictured above works perfectly and does NOT need to be formatted at all. I too am an IT/IS idiot and I have had no problems with the SanDisk card. I did have a card (can't remember the brand) that I bought at Staples that became corrupt and stopped working (would not record or play) and I lost 6 full track days. My IT person told me to stick with SanDisk as they are much more reliable.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:47 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I think most SD cards of 32GB or less usually come formatted to FAT32, so you can stick them in the slot in your glove compartment and it should work - you'll see on the infotainment screen if it's not formatted to FAT32.

As mentioned, if a card is 32GB or less, you can format it to FAT32 with a Windows computer, and I'm sure probably an Apple/Mac as well.

I have 128GB and 256GB cards I formatted to FAT32 with an aftermarket formatting app on my Windows laptop and they work great for the PDR.

You can record PDR video with several different "backgrounds", whether using it as a dashcam, videoing a scenic drive, recording straight line accel such as at a drag strip, or track sessions on a closed track.

As far as viewing, you can watch the video on the infotainment screen in the car. And of course most every computer these days has a slot for an SD card - just the same as the slot in the car. There are adapters for an iPad/iPhone, but I've found their use to be problematic when trying to use one with my older iPad (YMMV).

The PDR will only record about 99 to 100 minutes of video. If you do one long drive of more than 99 minutes without shutting down the car and restarting, the PDR will stop recording. If you're doing a drive longer than that set an alarm to remind you that at about 90 minutes you need to stop the recording, then just immediately start another one which will go for another 100 minutes.

When you stop the car at the end of a scenic drive or the end of a track session, touch the STOP RECORDING button!!! If you don't stop the recording you may get a "raw" file that you won't be able to view. If you do touch the button to stop the recording it will close the file out properly into a normal .mp4 file.

The files are .mp4 files that any computer will play - however, many Apple/Mac users have said they don't get sound unless they have some additional app.

You don't need it, but in addition to just viewing the video, Cosworth Toolbox will give you some great info about the data that is recorded along with video and sound. You won't get any of that data just viewing the file on your computer with a normal video app. To get the free download of Cosworth Toolbox go to:

http://download.cosworth.com/downloa...r/GM/Index.htm

Last edited by BEZ06; 01-05-2018 at 10:53 AM. Reason: highlighted the Toolbox link
Old 01-05-2018, 10:59 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,872 Likes on 1,008 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

As BEZ06 stated, if you are using a Mac, as I am, you won't get sound unless you use an App........

I use VLC media player. It was suggested on this forum by other members and is free, and works well. Just choose it to play your SD card.

Last edited by Strake; 01-05-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:04 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,818 Likes on 2,063 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Get one of these and any PC with a USB port can format the SD card.

Amazon Amazon

$8 on Amazon

Elmer
Old 01-05-2018, 11:06 AM
Jerrymannal
Instructor

You guys are all awesome!!! I just ordered two from Amazon for $25 delivered. One more question. When I want to delete what I recorded can I do that in the car or must I use a computer to delete?
Old 01-05-2018, 11:08 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

You guys are all awesome!!! I just ordered two from Amazon for $25 delivered. One more question. When I want to delete what I recorded can I do that in the car or must I use a computer to delete?
I think the car will over write as it fills up. If you want to save a specific event, you will need to down load the file from the SD card to some storage media.

Elmer
Old 01-05-2018, 02:12 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

You can delete any files you don't want right in the car - touch the "X" and confirm to delete:

You can select the "Overwrite" feature to delete older files as new ones are recorded:

Or you can put the SD card into your computer in order to copy videos over to your hard drive and delete them off the SD card to open up more space for recording from the PDR.

If you're recording laps during a track session, when you first go out onto the track you need to "Define Finish Line" during you first lap in order to get lap times, and to get data for each individual lap on Cosworth Toolbox. You only need to do it the first time out on a new track, as long as you don't delete it when transferring your videos to your computer:

Or....you can actually download the .map.gpx file (a file that has the data required for the PDR to give you lap times, etc.) from a buddy that has run the track previously. Below is a thread here on the forum where we are trying to get a library of .map.gpx files so that before you go to a new track you can put the file for that track onto you SD card and you won't need to touch the "Define Finish Line" feature on the infotainment screen - it can be difficult to do if you're at speed, and it's very difficult to get it real close to the actual S/F line of the track. We don't have too many in that thread yet, so if you get a good finish line for a track, add it to the library in the thread. So far we've got VIR Full and Grand, Summit Point Main, Sebring, Watkins Glen, and Daytona - let's get a bunch more into the library!!!:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...px-thread.html

Last edited by BEZ06; 01-05-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need SD card help

Old 01-05-2018, 02:29 PM
BELVIN20
Burning Brakes

Received 515 Likes on 304 Posts

I got to ask, what does Teen Mode do?
Old 01-05-2018, 02:31 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by BELVIN20
I got to ask, what does Teen Mode do?
Keeps tabs on the young drivers of the car by the FOB they use.
Judgment Day (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 02:54 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
While I think IOS does support FAT 32 file systems I don't believe an iPad has a place to plug in an sdcard. Get a real computer!
As usual, defaria's answers are incomplete and misleading. You can buy an adapter for a whopping $10.
Amazon Amazon
Many "real computer" do not have a built in SD Card reader either.

Quick Reply: Need SD card help