C7 GS 3LT worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 03:36 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Default C7 GS 3LT worth it?

Hey...

Interested in buying c7gs.. looking at 2LT vs 3LT.. is 3LT worth it?

Not interested in 1LT because I want the front cameras and HUD

I saw some photos online about the diamond stitched headliner with 3LT.. but there aren't many photos of it online. Do any of you guys have 3LT that you post some photos?

How I think i would order it: 3LT black interior, comp seats, red stitching, red seat belt, suede flat bottom steering wheel, and carbon dash

How well does the suede hold up long term?
Old 01-09-2018, 03:47 AM
Pineapple
Burning Brakes

Received 794 Likes on 381 Posts

since you’re getting a black interior their isn’t much of a difference visually between 2LT and 3LT. The 2LT is the price sweet sport for luxury amenities and “must have features”, mainly HUD. The suede headliner and upper trim pieces are very nice thought. If you do get the 3LT the red stitching will not be on the headliner. The GS CE has matching blue stitching on the headliner and I think Kalahari and Yellow has it too, but not for red due to the stitching not passing quality requirements.

Alacantara/Suede/microfiber feels amazing when new but it doesn’t wear well. Contact areas are prone to pilling and matting. You’d have to clean it regularly to maintain it.

The way you spec’d your custom order car, you might able to get an in stock Z06 1LZ for the same price or less. The 1LZ comes standard with HUD but no front mounted cameras I believe.

Last edited by Pineapple; 01-09-2018 at 03:52 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:38 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

The functional difference between 2LT and 3LT is that the 2LT gives you the luxury features without the luxury look. The 3LT gives you the luxury features WITH the luxury look.

2LT gives you HUD, front cameras, heated and cooled seats, and the upgraded stereo, but the dash is pretty much the same as the 1LT with some exceptions if you have a color interior.

3LT gives you everything that 2LT has but the dash and the top of the doors are completely wrapped in stitched leather.

2LT gives you the luxury features, and by adding 3LT, you get the luxury look to go along with the luxury features.

If I had the choice between the two, I would go with 2LT. It has all of the features and still looks nice, but the leather dash seems to me like something that might be difficult to maintain as the car ages. I live in the south and am a little concerned about the leather dash coming unglued in the hot summer sun over the course of years.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:18 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

It basically comes down to more and nicer leather in the 3lt. In any color but black I say go for it as it's a nice contrast. I went 2lz with black interior without any regret. Came from a 16 M3 with executive package and Napa leather. It was nicer but not enough to make it worth it to me.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:44 AM
JakeC7GS
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Contrasting colors look great with the 3LT package (I've got Spice Red), especially the dash IMO. Don't think I would have spent the money if I planned on going with a black interior though.
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (01-11-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 08:22 AM
TorchZ51
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a 3LT with red interior and comp seats. Amazing combo in my opinion. I do prefer the extra leather on the dash and door panels that you get with a 3LT.
tractman (01-11-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 08:40 AM
50th year
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

When I ordered mine I went with 3lt. Sure glad I did.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:48 AM
Johnp94
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 123 Posts

I have 3lt, I bought used. Interior means nothing to me because I'm eventually going to swap out.You can do the same if you get a 2lt. You can add different colors when you want. Check into PDR. My car does not have it but I wish it did.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:49 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy346
The functional difference between 2LT and 3LT is that the 2LT gives you the luxury features without the luxury look. The 3LT gives you the luxury features WITH the luxury look.

2LT gives you HUD, front cameras, heated and cooled seats, and the upgraded stereo, but the dash is pretty much the same as the 1LT with some exceptions if you have a color interior.

3LT gives you everything that 2LT has but the dash and the top of the doors are completely wrapped in stitched leather.

2LT gives you the luxury features, and by adding 3LT, you get the luxury look to go along with the luxury features.

If I had the choice between the two, I would go with 2LT. It has all of the features and still looks nice, but the leather dash seems to me like something that might be difficult to maintain as the car ages. I live in the south and am a little concerned about the leather dash coming unglued in the hot summer sun over the course of years.
Don't forget the 3LT also comes with Navigation & PDR included in the 3LT package.

Last edited by BRCC; 01-09-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Gonzo (01-11-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 09:07 AM
ShadowB
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713
Hey...

I saw some photos online about the diamond stitched headliner with 3LT.. but there aren't many photos of it online. Do any of you guys have 3LT that you post some photos?

How I think i would order it: 3LT black interior, comp seats, red stitching, red seat belt, suede flat bottom steering wheel, and carbon dash

In the GS unless you want more leather wrap get the 2lt,you can add the few options that separate the 2lt & 3lt without the leather $. I ordered the 2LT because I didn’t like the look of the Kalahari wrap on top of the dash. My 2 cents of course.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:09 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I admit, I would have done 2LT over 3LT for cost savings had 3LT not been part of the CE package to get the Tension Blue interior, but I have to admit, I do enjoy the extra 3LT quality, look, and feel. By far, the nicest interior I've had on any vehicle I've owned!

Last edited by DWS44; 01-09-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 230 Likes on 130 Posts

I may have missed it in reading earlier posts, but I think it is worth pointing out that the seat leather on the 3LT competition seats is the same as that for the 2LT competition seats. That is not true for the GT seats.

If you compare feature for feature between the two trim options, going with the 2LT trim level seems to be the way to go --- especially if you want black and the competiion seats. BTW, the alcantara inserts are really nice, clean easily, and wear very well.

Last edited by Range_Rat; 01-09-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:21 AM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by 50th year
When I ordered mine I went with 3lt. Sure glad I did.

Me too and glad I did!....a few dollars more but not felt...
Old 01-09-2018, 10:52 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

We've had both 2LT and 3LT. Our '15 Z51 was 2LT, and our GS is 3LT - both black interiors. Here are my observations:
* The headliner is really nice on the 3LT compared to the 2LT. However, we have two tops and leave the transparent top on virtually all the time (we like the openness better and the heat difference - as measured by me in another thread - is negligible). So the headliner doesn't make any difference for us.
* You can tell a difference, even with black interiors, with the dash covering, panels, etc. However, if I didn't know it, I'm not certain I would recognize the difference. A casual observer would not, I don't think.
* I find the NAV useless compared with AA and google maps. However, I do like the PDR.
* Some report they can 'smell' the difference between the leather in a 3LT vs. 2LT. I must have a bad nose. No difference to me.
* I've taken the interiors completely out of both cars to install Crazy Cowboy's full sound deadening kits. Fit and finish on both are very good and very similar. I did/do notice a difference in the 'feel' of the leather on the 3LT seats.
* Both interiors are very nice. In fact, if one doesn't care about the HUD and other stuff that comes on 2LT/3LT, the 1LT interior is very nice. We do care about HUD, camera, etc.
* We purchased our GS with 3LT because a forum dealer ordered it that way and the car had all the other options/color combination we wanted, and it was a great deal. I would have been perfectly happy if it was equipped the same way but with 2LT.

All this said, I like the 3LT and glad our GS has it, but I'm not sure I would have originally ordered it that way. Do I sound confused? I'm good either way and like the 3LT because we got a great deal on the car.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:17 AM
JakeC7GS
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

It's all about what makes you happy when you're sitting behind the wheel. Had I not found the Spice Red interior I was looking for, a 2LT would have been my second choice. I like the full color dash (black or spice) vs. the trim ring style other colors come in. Beauty (and value) is in the eye of the beholder
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by JakeC7GS:
Gonzo (01-11-2018), movinlow (01-11-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:23 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Debated the same thing when I ordered my Grand Sport.

The following is why I got what I did with pics. Everybody has an opinion and this post includes mine re leather, Mulan Leather and Vinyl! Some may disagree but this is the only thing I could validate from GM!

First I like my 3LT Kalahari 2014 interior. Looked like the wife's Porsche Cayenne, full Kalahari all over!

Then GM got cheap and started to limit the amount of color on it and other colors. Some thought is was OK and some not. I'm in the second group! Also the NAV in the 2014 was OK but they wanted several hundred dollars for updates and my Garmin has them free! Don't need a recording camera so saved $4000 and put that in accessories I wanted/needed!

I decided like my other 3 prior Vettes I'd just get black for this 5th. Then saw a 2017 2LT with Adrenalin red interior at a local dealer and brought the wife to see it, who is much better than I at colors etc. Ordered a white 2LT with red interior and red seat belts!

When I got it home felt the interior needed a bit more color but did not like the 3LT Red glove comparmt in red, looked like a patchwork quite to me! But thout the upper dash pad wold look good in red. For a 2017 it was only available in a 3LT so bought that piece with the GM part number for ~$300.

WHAT'S LEATHER?
Now the issue of Leather, Mulan leather (GM's name) and Vinyl. When I tried to find out what was real leather from a cow in my 3LT could only be sure what GM states: The "seating surfaces" were Nappa leather. All other materials were refereed to as sot touch materials! rankly not even sure if that includes the side bolsters!

You can look all over for the definition of Mulan leather but won't find it from GM. Nor from one of their largest seller of parts. :Trunk Monkey!" They just repeat the GM confounded descriptions. This is what I did fine from someone who interviewed some folks at Bowing Green:
"The suede is real and I'll give you the answer on the Mulan leather. Mulan leather is made from recycled leather off-cuts, trimmings and shavings that would normally be sent by the leather industry to landfill. The shavings are bonded to a fabric layer commonly using a process such a hydro-entanglement to force the leather dust into the fabric layer. The product is then finished, typically with a polyurethane based system to give a resemblance of leather. The amount of leather shavings within the final product typically constitute less than 50% of the product."

Below are pics that help define comments above! More than you may want but a picture is worth a 1000 words!

Comparing a 1LT, 2LT, 3LT and MY 2017 2.5LT! Note GM copied my idea so the 2018 2LT now comes with the upper dash pad in Red! (Joking as to them coping but that was NOT announced when I did mine!)

This is the 3LT Red Upper Dash Pad I bought and installed. Is it Mulan Leather or Vinyl? Who knows or cares! The red is textured as is the dash (which I assume is Vinyl.) Some say the Mulan leather is smooth! Well maybe that day the embossing dyes were worn but Mulan leather is made similar to Vinyl it just includes some of those tens of thousands of old McDonalds cow hides chopped fine before mixing with the same stuff used to make Vinyl! The name Mulan is just like Corinthian Leather that Ricardo Montalban admitted was just a name developed by Chrysler's ad agency!

For NAV, I use both CAR PLAY that comes with the car and works great with my iPhone if I have service. Also have my Garmin with free updates mounted in my Cubby! When needed just lower the screen.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-09-2018 at 12:45 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by JerryU:
DWS44 (01-09-2018), Gonzo (01-11-2018), Hopper12 (01-09-2018), Kevin A Jones (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:48 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeC7GS
It's all about what makes you happy when you're sitting behind the wheel. Had I not found the Spice Red interior I was looking for, a 2LT would have been my second choice. I like the full color dash (black or spice) vs. the trim ring style other colors come in. Beauty (and value) is in the eye of the beholder
Only Spice Red comes in the 3LT 2014/2015 full color dash as was my Kalahari. It looks much better than the current other colors in a 3LT, IMO. They have more of a look Patch Work Quilt!
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
Gonzo (01-11-2018), JakeC7GS (01-11-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 GS 3LT worth it?

Old 01-09-2018, 01:24 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,596 Likes on 5,559 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713
Hey...

Not worth it to me for an additional $5000+ over the 2LT. Not much bang for the $.

Actually the GS comes pretty well equipped in the 1LT package. You don't get 2LT (approx $4500) items such as the front camera which is useful if you can't judge distant very well. I find a HUD distracting. 2LT gives you an extra speaker and heated/vented seats- wow!
Old 01-09-2018, 02:03 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by BRCC
Don't forget the 3LT also comes with Navigation & PDR included in the 3LT package.
True, but when I was looking it seemed to me that most 2LT cars came with nav as an option anyway. It's not exclusive to the 3LT. ALSO, the newer 2LT leather looks more like a 3LT because the leather goes up around the dash. There is less difference between the 2LT and 3LT than there used to be in 2017 and prior models. They keep messing with it. The very earliest models had color all over the dash. Although I have a 3LT myself I agree that the 2LT is more cost-effective, but the Bottom Like is what YOU like regardless of everyone else's opinions. Although this thread is not quite in the category because there are some functional differences, it's why I've never understood "What color should I get?" threads.

Last edited by mschuyler; 01-09-2018 at 02:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mschuyler:
Gonzo (01-11-2018), joemessman (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 02:16 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,596 Likes on 5,559 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
True, but when I was looking it seemed to me that most 2LT cars came with nav as an option anyway. It's not exclusive to the 3LT. ALSO, the newer 2LT leather looks more like a 3LT because the leather goes up around the dash. There is less difference between the 2LT and 3LT than there used to be in 2017 and prior models. They keep messing with it. The very earliest models had color all over the dash. Although I have a 3LT myself I agree that the 2LT is more cost-effective, but the Bottom Like is what YOU like regardless of everyone else's opinions. Although this thread is not quite in the category because there are some functional differences, it's why I've never understood "What color should I get?" threads.
Never understood the concept of asking others what you should like and/or purchase.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
ElGreco53 (01-11-2018), Gonzo (01-11-2018), Zaphod B (01-09-2018)

Quick Reply: C7 GS 3LT worth it?