Sponsored by:

What would a Z51 3LT option be roughly

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 06:40 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
Default What would a Z51 3LT option be roughly

There is one advertised for months , I guess 3LT is the higher end trim etc.
Not sure of Z51.

I live where there are a lot of speed bumps any purchase tips.

ps just saw a thread on LT , not sure of Z51

Last edited by ojm; 01-09-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:38 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Z51 is a performance package for the Stingray that gives you a dry sump oil system, selectable performance exhaust, high performance gear ratios in the transmission, an electronically controlled differential, upgraded suspension (Z51 shocks or optional Mag Ride), you also get upgraded wheels and tires, and a spoiler.

3LT is the top tier creature comfort package that includes heads up display, heated/cooled seats, sub woofer, and a leather trimmed dash. The 3LT trim package can be purchased independently of Z51, and is available with the base stingray, Z51, and Grand Sport. If you get the Z06, the similar trim level is called “3LZ”.

Mine is a Z51 and there are plenty of speed bumps in my area. Speed bumps are not a problem for a Corvette with the basic Z51 package. If the car has the optional front splitter and side skirts, there is a risk of damaging them if you hit a particularly steep or tall speed bump. Also, one of the neat features of the Corvette's suspension is that you can adjust the ride height. If you have alot of speed bumps, and you intend to drive through them, I recommend keeping the ride height at the factory setting, which is fairly high. (At least on my car the suspension is fairly high.) Note that I've heard the ride height has a very small effect on the handling characteristics of the car, so by lowering it, you are really only changing the aesthetics, and making the underside of the car more susceptible to damage from speed bumps or road debris.

If you want to get an idea of what these options have on the cost of the car, go to Chevrolet's configurator for the Stingray. You can add the various trim levels (1LT, 2LT, 3LT) or Z51 with 1LT, 2LT, 3LT. I think the Z51 package costs about $4K and the 3LT costs about $7K. Of course, these are just MSRP costs. to get an idea of real world costs, you could visit the websites of some of the dealers that sponsor this site (MacMulkin, Kerbeck, Criswell, Boardwalk) and look up what options their stock have and what price they are offering them at. Right now, you can find just about any Corvette for a good amount below MSRP.

One recommendation I have is if you are looking at a Z51 with the 3LT package, also look at a Grand Sport with similar trim. You can probably pick up a GS with the 2LT package for the same price as the Z51 with the 3LT package. Performance-wise, the GS has some nice features that compare favorably to the Z51 (Standard Mag Ride, larger tires and brakes, wide-body and aero kit) and it doesn't cost a whole lot more. ($3K to $6K, depending on where you look). If your priority is performance and you like the wide-body look of the GS and Z06, consider looking at a GS instead of the Z51. One warning though is that the GS may not do as well against speed bumps as a Z51 without a splitter and side skirts.

Best of luck in your search! This forum is a great place to learn.

Last edited by Billy346; 01-09-2018 at 09:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ojm (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 10:11 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by ojm
There is one advertised for months , I guess 3LT is the higher end trim etc.
Not sure of Z51.

I live where there are a lot of speed bumps any purchase tips.

ps just saw a thread on LT , not sure of Z51
3LTs are about an +$11,000.00 option.
Z51s are about a +$5,000.00 option.
Add the two together, and you get a very pricey C7.
Add the convertible option, and you're Up another +$5,000.00.
Add an M7, manual transmission, and you've got a less saleable C7.

What do speed bumps have to do with anything??
ojm (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 10:15 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Billy346
Z51 is a performance package for the Stingray that gives you a dry sump oil system, selectable performance exhaust, high performance gear ratios in the transmission, an electronically controlled differential, upgraded suspension (Z51 shocks or optional Mag Ride), you also get upgraded wheels and tires, and a spoiler.

3LT is the top tier creature comfort package that includes heads up display, heated/cooled seats, sub woofer, and a leather trimmed dash. The 3LT trim package can be purchased independently of Z51, and is available with the base stingray, Z51, and Grand Sport. If you get the Z06, the similar trim level is called “3LZ”.

Mine is a Z51 and there are plenty of speed bumps in my area. Speed bumps are not a problem for a Corvette with the basic Z51 package. If the car has the optional front splitter and side skirts, there is a risk of damaging them if you hit a particularly steep or tall speed bump. Also, one of the neat features of the Corvette's suspension is that you can adjust the ride height. If you have alot of speed bumps, and you intend to drive through them, I recommend keeping the ride height at the factory setting, which is fairly high. (At least on my car the suspension is fairly high.) Note that I've heard the ride height has a very small effect on the handling characteristics of the car, so by lowering it, you are really only changing the aesthetics, and making the underside of the car more susceptible to damage from speed bumps or road debris.

If you want to get an idea of what these options have on the cost of the car, go to Chevrolet's configurator for the Stingray. You can add the various trim levels (1LT, 2LT, 3LT) or Z51 with 1LT, 2LT, 3LT. I think the Z51 package costs about $4K and the 3LT costs about $7K. Of course, these are just MSRP costs. to get an idea of real world costs, you could visit the websites of some of the dealers that sponsor this site (MacMulkin, Kerbeck, Criswell, Boardwalk) and look up what options their stock have and what price they are offering them at. Right now, you can find just about any Corvette for a good amount below MSRP.

One recommendation I have is if you are looking at a Z51 with the 3LT package, also look at a Grand Sport with similar trim. You can probably pick up a GS with the 2LT package for the same price as the Z51 with the 3LT package. Performance-wise, the GS has some nice features that compare favorably to the Z51 (Standard Mag Ride, larger tires and brakes, wide-body and aero kit) and it doesn't cost a whole lot more. ($3K to $6K, depending on where you look). If your priority is performance and you like the wide-body look of the GS and Z06, consider looking at a GS instead of the Z51. One warning though is that the GS may not do as well against speed bumps as a Z51 without a splitter and side skirts.

Best of luck in your search! This forum is a great place to learn.
Thank you!
Old 01-09-2018, 10:19 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
3LTs are about an +$11,000.00 option.
Z51s are about a +$5,000.00 option.
Add the two together, and you get a very pricey C7.
Add the convertible option, and you're Up another +$5,000.00.
Add an M7, manual transmission, and you've got a less saleable C7.

What do speed bumps have to do with anything??

Thanks, seems asking about speed bumps is self evident, driveability.
Do I need preferred shocks etc...I know it's a sport car but not sure my kidneys do
Old 01-09-2018, 10:35 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,692 Likes on 5,593 Posts

It all depends on what you want, as Billy346 states you may be better off with a 2LT or even 1LT Grand Sport (depending on which options interest you) for about the same as a Z51 3LT, especially if you like the looks of the widebody. You might want to browse through the C7 "color" pictorial threads if you aren't familiar with the different look between the Stingray and GS. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2018, 11:27 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ojm
Thanks, seems asking about speed bumps is self evident, driveability.
Do I need preferred shocks etc...I know it's a sport car but not sure my kidneys do
My new, 2017 C7 is a 3LT, Base engine (NON-Z51), MSRC (Magnetic Selective Ride Control) option cost: $3,495.00 convertible, WITH M7 (Manual 7-speed stick) exactly what I was looking for!

Unless you Track or Street Race your C7, you won't need the Z51 option. Problem is, most new C7s seem to come with the Z51 option.

If you're a Racer - Track or Street, - you'll want the Z51.

Speed bumps only become important when you get the loooow front split fairing air damming of the ZO6, and the GS, Grand Sport, or, lower your chassis.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 01-10-2018 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:51 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

You can spend A LOT of money loading up your new C7 with options you want, or will want. If you've got the ability to spend, then spend big, is my advise. I believe it's waay too much money ($50K to $70K approx.) to spend and go budget/cheap on your new C7, if you don't have to. You can't add many of the options to the car later, in many cases anyway.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 01-10-2018 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:13 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,214 Likes on 3,457 Posts

Just avoid lowering the car and pass on the lower edges' add-ons, slow for the bumps, and all should be well. Btw, I've found that most SUV drivers slow more for the speed-bumps than I must; go figure.

Last edited by Avanti; 01-10-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:26 AM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Great advice, help was greatly appreciated.
Skid Row Joe (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 01:41 AM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

You can’t raise or lower the height on any C7 Corvette. That is a feature of air suspension, not mag ride.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:26 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by red62vette
You can’t raise or lower the height on any C7 Corvette. That is a feature of air suspension, not mag ride.
The lowering bolts (or whatever they are called) allow adjustment of Ride height. You are correct though, it’s not like air suspension where you can control ride height with the push of a button.

Get notified of new replies

To What would a Z51 3LT option be roughly

Quick Reply: What would a Z51 3LT option be roughly