Sponsored by:

Edited .MP4 file won't play on SD card in car

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 11:19 AM
cajunboyz
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Edited .MP4 file won't play on SD card in car

I know car has to be in park, I like to fancy up"edit my movies". I took recording off sd card, edited them up & back to MP4, copied bk to SD card ,BUT for the life of me, my edited movies does NOT show up??? Just the orignals show up. I tried many MP4's file types, the same size as original recording,still nothing & tried 4 other sizes, still wont show up on SD card in card. I even saved originals,Re formated card, then re put all bk on SD card, same as above. Just orignals show up in car??? WHAT AM I'm Missing???
Old 11-14-2016, 11:53 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by cajunboyz
I know car has to be in park, I like to fancy up"edit my movies". I took recording off sd card, edited them up & back to MP4, copied bk to SD card ,BUT for the life of me, my edited movies does NOT show up??? Just the orignals show up. I tried many MP4's file types, the same size as original recording,still nothing & tried 4 other sizes, still wont show up on SD card in card. I even saved originals,Re formated card, then re put all bk on SD card, same as above. Just orignals show up in car??? WHAT AM I'm Missing???
That's a tough one for me, I am in the computer field, but it may be the way the table of contents is written to the SD card when it is recorded. When you copy them off and edit them, and copy an edited version to your card and try to play them in the car there is no metadata for the table of contents. The metadata is not visible to you. There could really be a reason for your issue other than this, but there are so many variables. But here is a link to have a look at that will provide the basic understanding of what I'm referring to. I'm sure others will chime in here that know more than I do.
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/metadata

Last edited by joemessman; 11-14-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:04 PM
cajunboyz
Pro

Originally Posted by joemessman
That's a tough one for me, I am in the computer field, but it may be the way the table of contents is written to the SD card when it is recorded. When you copy them off and edit them, and copy an edited version to your card and try to play them in the car there is no metadata for the table of contents. The metadata is not visible to you. There could really be a reason for your issue other than this, but there are so many variables. But here is a link to have a look at that will provide the basic understanding of what I'm referring to. I'm sure others will chime in here that know more than I do.
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/metadata
Correct, Titles shall i call it,is NOT showing up, Just the original titles show up on onboard screen
Old 11-14-2016, 12:11 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Have you tried saving it as an avi or some other file type?

Edit: that sd card slot I think is for recording only. Do you have the second slot in your center console, or try putting it on a thumb drive and playing it through USB.

Last edited by Rooster OG; 11-14-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:39 PM
cajunboyz
Pro

Ill have to try that, but I thought i read it had to be MP4 files
Old 01-11-2018, 11:36 PM
Myboneyard2
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, to hijack a tread but I have a question. I have a 2018 stingray without the factory navigation. Im not sure if that's the issue or not but I've tried putting mp4 files on a USB and I can not get them to show up at all. I've even tried avi files.. Still nothing. Of course I'm in park with the emergency brake on and I've trIed off. Can someone please help me with this. Thanks in advance
Old 01-12-2018, 03:11 AM
CSevenGS
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

from what I tested, PDR videos that are edited outside of the Cosworth Toolbox, do not play in the car playback because they don't have the underlying speed, gps, braking, g's, etc data. You can't open them in the Toolbox either. I can't open the toolbox on my laptop since i'm not at home to check if there is a way to trim video in the toolbox itself. If it has a trimming feature, I would try to that and see if it plays then in the car.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:32 AM
Resonator
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

Both joemessman and CSevenGS are basically correct.

There is a hidden data stream in MP4 files recorded by the PDR system. Typical video files have two data streams, a video stream and an audio stream, but PDR videos have a third custom data stream with speed, GPS location, transmission gear, RPM, steering angle, etc. encoded into this data. (Typical video files can have many additional data streams, such as second language audio, and closed caption data.)

Standard video editing and playback software will just ignore the custom PDR data stream, and won’t preserve it in the output if you edit a PDR video. Of course, any information displayed in a selected video overlay is preserved, as this is part of the video stream.

The in dash PDR playback system will only play MP4 files with the PDR data stream intact. It is strictly a PDR playback system, not a generic MP4 player, so it won’t play either edited PDR videos, or other MP4 videos, because they don’t have a PDR data stream in the video file. The same is true for the Cosworth Toolbox software.

I haven’t noticed any way to edit PDR videos in the Cosworth Toolbox software, and I haven’t found any way to edit PDR videos and keep the PDR data stream intact.
The following 2 users liked this post by Resonator:
cowboy casey (01-12-2018), Perf n Restore (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 08:41 AM
WilliamCall
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by cajunboyz
What model year is your car? I assume we are talking 2014 or 2015, which has an SD memory slot in the center console.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:07 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Myboneyard2
Sorry, to hijack a tread but I have a question. I have a 2018 stingray without the factory navigation. Im not sure if that's the issue or not but I've tried putting mp4 files on a USB and I can not get them to show up at all. I've even tried avi files.. Still nothing. Of course I'm in park with the emergency brake on and I've trIed off. Can someone please help me with this. Thanks in advance
You can't play video on the Infotaiment center. Only audio files such as mp3.

MP4 and avi are video codec wrappers.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:00 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I think there are two possibilities. Once you've edited a file, you've lost all the "metadata", which is the "extra" data like RPM and Speed that is grafted onto the video.

So, when you then try to play that video back in the PDR, either

a) It refuses because it can tell it's been edited and missing metadata, or
b) It just doesn't work right because the metadata is missing.

Now had they just used NTFS and put the metadata in an alternate stream I could fix it, but I have no idea how GM does their video, so I think you're SOL.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:31 PM
Myboneyard2
4th Gear

Ok thanks for your reply but I've seen videos where they play
Old 01-12-2018, 08:56 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Myboneyard2
Ok thanks for your reply but I've seen videos where they play
This may help you.

Youtuber downloaded Handbrake software to edit video files to make them to play on the infotainment system.

Last edited by c54u; 01-12-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:23 PM
drobbins
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

ha, I need videos in my car like a hole in the head but it's still a pretty neat trick.
thanks for sharing
Old 01-12-2018, 10:07 PM
Myboneyard2
4th Gear

Originally Posted by c54u
This may help you.

Youtuber downloaded Handbrake software to edit video files to make them to play on the infotainment system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TkolDcRakg
Thank you very much. Yes that's the video I was saying I saw maybe my conversion didn't come out right. I'll try again. Thanks again
Old 01-13-2018, 04:12 AM
Resonator
Instructor

This thread is dealing with two different questions. Originally it was about PDR videos being played in the PDR playback mode. Playing videos on the MyLink system is a separate issue.

Just to be clear, digital video is very complex. It would take a full college course to give someone a thorough working knowledge of digital video and its various formats, and that is assuming they already understand basic digital image and digital audio concepts.

What is happening in the MyLink YouTube video is the movie’s video is being transcoded to standard definition, SD, which is 480, as opposed to 720 or 1080, which are high-def, HD, formats. The codec, or video encoding format, remains the same, H264, which is standard (but not the only option) for MP4 videos. MyLink is limited to only playing SD 480 H264 MP4 video.

Both Handbrake and VLC can perform this conversion, and both are free. As PDR videos are 720 H264 MP4, they would need to be transcoded to 480 H264 MP4 for this to work, and they still won’t play in the PDR menu, but might play in MyLink. I say might because there are numerous claims on the net that GM has killed the MyLink video playback feature. I’m far too busy at the moment to check and see if MyLink video playback actually still works.

480 is the same resolution as a standard DVD. However, DVDs are encoded in MP2. They also have copy protection and old versions of Handbrake would bypass this, and allow you to rip and convert a DVD to a H264 MP4, but I think that feature got removed after the MPAA and pals pitched a fit. (If I remember correctly, I occasionally use a pre-2006 version of Handbrake to rip DVDs to MP4 for personal use.)

PDR videos are not copy protected, and if someone wants to convert one from 720 to 480 and try playing it on a MyLink system, have at it. In my book, it’s a bunch of work for little gain, as you can play the original video on any laptop, iPad, or similar device, usually with a bigger screen, without getting into the intricacies of transcoding.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 07:47 AM
CSevenGS
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow, that's a long explanation to be wrong. Original PDR videos do playback natively without changing resolution. The only reason edited PDR video doesn't play on PDR or Coswortth Toolbox is that the ctbx data stream is missing... nothing to do with resolution. Also, VLC or anything else isn't necessary. Windows Movie Maker is built in and will output to any resolution and bitrate you want.
Originally Posted by Resonator
This thread is dealing with two different questions. Originally it was about PDR videos being played in the PDR playback mode. Playing videos on the MyLink system is a separate issue.

Just to be clear, digital video is very complex. It would take a full college course to give someone a thorough working knowledge of digital video and its various formats, and that is assuming they already understand basic digital image and digital audio concepts.

What is happening in the MyLink YouTube video is the movie’s video is being transcoded to standard definition, SD, which is 480, as opposed to 720 or 1080, which are high-def, HD, formats. The codec, or video encoding format, remains the same, H264, which is standard (but not the only option) for MP4 videos. MyLink is limited to only playing SD 480 H264 MP4 video.

Both Handbrake and VLC can perform this conversion, and both are free. As PDR videos are 720 H264 MP4, they would need to be transcoded to 480 H264 MP4 for this to work, and they still won’t play in the PDR menu, but might play in MyLink. I say might because there are numerous claims on the net that GM has killed the MyLink video playback feature. I’m far too busy at the moment to check and see if MyLink video playback actually still works.

480 is the same resolution as a standard DVD. However, DVDs are encoded in MP2. They also have copy protection and old versions of Handbrake would bypass this, and allow you to rip and convert a DVD to a H264 MP4, but I think that feature got removed after the MPAA and pals pitched a fit. (If I remember correctly, I occasionally use a pre-2006 version of Handbrake to rip DVDs to MP4 for personal use.)

PDR videos are not copy protected, and if someone wants to convert one from 720 to 480 and try playing it on a MyLink system, have at it. In my book, it’s a bunch of work for little gain, as you can play the original video on any laptop, iPad, or similar device, usually with a bigger screen, without getting into the intricacies of transcoding.

Last edited by CSevenGS; 01-13-2018 at 07:54 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Edited .MP4 file won't play on SD card in car

Old 01-14-2018, 10:56 AM
Myboneyard2
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Resonator

Thank you for the explanation. I habe converted the video to 480 using handbrake and it still fails to play so I'm assuming GM did pull the plug on that as you stated.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:25 PM
Resonator
Instructor

Originally Posted by CSevenGS
Wow, that's a long explanation to be wrong. Original PDR videos do playback natively without changing resolution. The only reason edited PDR video doesn't play on PDR or Coswortth Toolbox is that the ctbx data stream is missing... nothing to do with resolution. Also, VLC or anything else isn't necessary. Windows Movie Maker is built in and will output to any resolution and bitrate you want.
You are clearly confused.

The confusion stems from a person hijacking the thread and asking about playing movies on the MyLink system, not the PDR system. Did you not watch the linked video?

I answered both questions with correct information and stand 100% behind everything I said.

I suggest people be more careful in fully reading and comprehending threads before calling people out for being wrong...
Old 01-14-2018, 04:25 PM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

wrong answer, i have played movies on mine

Quick Reply: Edited .MP4 file won't play on SD card in car