Pay as you drive insurance for the Winter storage months. - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pay as you drive insurance for the Winter storage months.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
TurtleRayZ51

Default Pay as you drive insurance for the Winter storage months.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to obtain pay as you drive insurance for the winter storage months. Since I don't drive the car I am thinking I should net a hell of a deal VS the standard policy I carry now which has me paying the same year round. Has a device that plugs into your OBD which I dont care since im not driving it. Then in spring just end with them and go back to my standard traditional policy. Thoughts??
TurtleRayZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
LanceVette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleRayZ51 View Post
I was thinking it might be a good idea to obtain pay as you drive insurance for the winter storage months. Since I don't drive the car I am thinking I should net a hell of a deal VS the standard policy I carry now which has me paying the same year round. Has a device that plugs into your OBD which I dont care since im not driving it. Then in spring just end with them and go back to my standard traditional policy. Thoughts??
I checked into that possibility as my friend here in town does just that. According to State Farm, that option would not save me any money, so I just keep things the way they are.
LanceVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #3
CptCvMan
CF Senior Member

Why not just drop the coverage to storage insurance if you wiil not be driving it?
CptCvMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
DALE#3
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCvMan View Post
Why not just drop the coverage to storage insurance if you wiil not be driving it?
Collision is the most expensive part in a TAXACHUSETTS Insurance Policy.Fire and theft is a must have.
Simply Add and Subtract when coverage is needed
DALE#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:30 PM   #5
WhiteRocket

I use hagerty, go online and get a quote. Cost was less than half of what progressive was charging me for my Camaro.
Not sure what Corvette savings would have been as I simply put the vette on as soon as I bought it.
I don't think you'll be disappointed.
WhiteRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:18 PM   #6
M_G

I agree on turning off collision coverage. Its the most expensive part. The comprehensive (which you need even when in storage for fire, theft, any other disaster you can think of) is usually only $100 or so for the entire year. I get a sizable check back every fall when I turn collision off. Then in the spring you add it back and off you go.

Note - If you have a loan (GM Financial for me) they will not like that you turn off collision and will keep sending letters asking about it, but at the end of the day they don't do anything more than ask you to provide proof of coverage. No penalties, etc. even through technically collision coverage is required in the loan agreement.

Last edited by M_G; 01-15-2018 at 11:19 PM.
M_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:29 AM   #7
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,168 Posts

Was doing that with All State for my street rod that mostly goes to shows. Was told my home Owner's policy covered fire and theft (would double check to be sure.) The state requires liability but cut coverage to just the minimum and would call on a Friday and say reinstate collision and comprehensive. On a Monday called and removed. PIA! After forgetting one Saturday morning went to show anyway, no issues and now use Hagarty and total cost, covered all the time, is less!
JerryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:48 AM   #8
ls777z
CF Senior Member

Default insurance

State Farm has a withdrawal from use option. You agree not to use the car and your rate is 25% of normal and all coverages are
​​​​​​​in force. I used this a lot in my younger days. And I know its still done because my mother did it in October with her 2001 Mustang GT.

Last edited by ls777z; 01-16-2018 at 05:49 AM.
ls777z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #9
vbdenny
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleRayZ51 View Post
I suppose that realy depends on where you live. (We donít know where you live). In VB it is ususally nice enough to drive almost all year so no need to change insurance of and on as the opportunity for a nice hot lap comes up frequently in the winter (usually) so always ready. I moved from the Great White North many,many years ago to avoid such issues. Couldnít stand having cars salted and gritty. A touch of OCD with cars.
vbdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #10
3 Z06ZR1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

In Oregon the insurance all reports to DMV so I would be careful here about dropping coverage.
The big thing is not speeding anymore they simply sit on the side read all the plates going by with the plate reader and anything wrong they pull you over. No insurance or No permit is straight to jail.

Amica gives me full coverage 1000 dec. for 465 for a full year on my 2017 Z06 best rate I have seen!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 01-16-2018 at 12:39 PM.
3 Z06ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #11
m3incorp
CF Senior Member

Too many variables between states and people's situation to give any advice other than what a person pays in their own situation. As far as plugging a device into my vehicle to track me and my driving...that is a NO NO for me as a rule.

Last edited by m3incorp; 01-16-2018 at 08:32 PM.
m3incorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Pay as you drive insurance for the Winter storage months.
  •