Need Help Suing Dealership - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Suing Dealership

Old 01-14-2018, 01:27 AM   #21
Classic-Chevy-Guy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I would check with local Corvette Owners/Clubs to determine who they recommend for this type of work. I would get an estimate, which both states the flaws and the solution, and then present it to the dealer.

There's always Judge Judy!!!
Classic-Chevy-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:39 AM   #22
CSevenGS
CF Senior Member

My advice..instead of calling a bunch of times and leaving messages, show up in person. It is much harder to blow someone off when you're standing in front of them. Go back as many times as it takes. Handling this and anything else at the lowest level is always the best option if possible. Repeatedly showing up will probably get you farther, cheaper, than a lawyer.

Last edited by CSevenGS; 01-14-2018 at 01:40 AM.
CSevenGS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSevenGS For This Useful Post:
JamieJT (Yesterday)
Old 01-14-2018, 01:43 AM   #23
tcinla
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

OP, you are dealing with Hooman Chevrolet. I know them well. That place is Soooo bad that they've renamed the business a couple of time that my aware of . Look up th reviews for "HOOMAN CHEVROLET" on Yelp.com and you'll see what I mean.

It's like they f with people on purpose and are the epitome of 'car salesmen' ...

Seriously, you will get no redress from them w/o legal action. They are notorious and explains why they rename the place every so often.
tcinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:48 AM   #24
FunDriver
CF Senior Member

If I were you I'd sue them in Small Claims Court. It doesn't cost a lot, is fairly easy to do, and where I am in CA the limit is $7500. I'm confident that once they get served with the papers, they will be on the phone to you. You sound like you have good documentation and should be in good shape. Get a couple of estimates from other paint shops and sue for as much as you feel is reasonable. The judge can always reduce what you're suing for but can't raise the amount.

As the saying goes, money talks, and they're not going to want to lose the case. They know they're in the wrong or they'd be talking to you and if they don't show up in court, they lose. If by some weird chance that happens, you can attach their bank account or other assets.

Good luck in your efforts and let us know how it goes..
FunDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:39 AM   #25
jschindler
CF Senior Member

Lawyer up and all that stuff sounds good on paper, but will cost you a lot of time and money. You might consider having a different shop fix it then take the dealer to small claims court to recover the cost.

Oops, believe it or not I did not see the post above when I posted this.

Last edited by jschindler; 01-14-2018 at 08:40 AM.
jschindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #26
davidtcpa
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Quote:
Originally Posted by owc6 View Post
Lawyer up .

And good luck .
davidtcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #27
1SG_Ret
CF Senior Member

Jeez, sorry to hear you're having this problem.

Aside from hiring an attorney and going through the time and expense of getting it resolved (and again, there is no guarantee it will be fixed properly unless you are allowed find a top notch paint shop to do the work), you may be better off getting it fixed yourself and filing complaints w/ the BBB, GM, Yelp and any other avenue open to you and move on.

My experience w/ GM CS hasn't been good. They favor their dealers and will string you along as long as possible (forever). My experience has been they will promise you their assistance and coordination w/ the dealership and it never materializes. They will wear you down. Remember, that the people you are trying to deal w/ are getting paid to play their games and it's just another case they can string along. For you, it stress, pressure, frustration and will take over your life.

Trust me, I know, I would stew about my problems w/ them throughout the day, went to sleep thinking about and it would be the first thing to pop into my head when I woke up.

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/04/23/st...riticized.html

If you love your car and want it to be perfect, find the best body and paint shop you can, explain your story to them and your expectations of the completed work, and have it repaired.

As a last resort, you could take the dealership to small claims court after the car is repaired to your satisfaction and sue them for the amount of the repair bill. Regardless of how it turns out, you'll be through with it and can start living your life again.

This certainly is not how the system is supposed to work, but sadly, it rarely does for the little guy.
1SG_Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #28
jimmie jam
CF Senior Member

The further away in time from the incident the more difficult it is to correct...ACT NOW.
jimmie jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:36 AM   #29
justplainjim
CF Senior Member

I would schedule a meeting with the dealership general manager. Bring all of your records and give him, or her, one opportunity to fix it. If that doesn't work out I agree with the small claims route...good luck.
justplainjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #30
ElGreco53
CF Senior Member

...and maybe park your car in front of the dealership with a big sign saying they're giving you the runaround...
ElGreco53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #31
juanvaldez
CF Senior Member

You will never be happy with this car. I would work for a buy back/swap and be prepared to foot part of the cost.
juanvaldez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:41 PM   #32
ricks327
CF Senior Member

Not sure of the rules in Calif. for Small Claims court but in Michigan, the defendant (dealership) can make a motion to have the case moved from Small Claims to the General Civil docket. There, attorney's are allowed to represent the defendant, as well as for the plaintiff. My point is, there is no guarantee that the case will be heard in Small Claims, if the defendant has it moved to the General Civil docket. My suggestion would be to consult with an attorney for his advice.
ricks327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #33
tcinla
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

That dealership was also named "Bunnin" Chrvrolet at one point. So you can look up the review so or that name as well.

It's the same people who have been there for years. Also likely it's the same guy who owns it. I wonder what he'll rename it too next when the 'NissanI ' name is worn out?

I gave my Yelp review of Hooman on 11/27/2016. Those guys want to commit you to a price before even test driving. Who is stupid enough to so that's? I ripped em in my review which is when I saw the preponderance of negative reviews. I'm glad I never gave them my business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcinla View Post
OP, you are dealing with Hooman Chevrolet. I know them well. That place is Soooo bad that they've renamed the business a couple of time that my aware of . Look up th reviews for "HOOMAN CHEVROLET" on Yelp.com and you'll see what I mean.

It's like they f with people on purpose and are the epitome of 'car salesmen' ...

Seriously, you will get no redress from them w/o legal action. They are notorious and explains why they rename the place every so often.

Last edited by tcinla; 01-14-2018 at 01:59 PM.
tcinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #34
jschindler
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricks327 View Post
Not sure of the rules in Calif. for Small Claims court but in Michigan, the defendant (dealership) can make a motion to have the case moved from Small Claims to the General Civil docket. There, attorney's are allowed to represent the defendant, as well as for the plaintiff. My point is, there is no guarantee that the case will be heard in Small Claims, if the defendant has it moved to the General Civil docket. My suggestion would be to consult with an attorney for his advice.
Huh? That defeats the whole purpose of small claims court.

Last edited by jschindler; 01-14-2018 at 01:53 PM.
jschindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #35
Crossed Flags Fan
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret View Post
Jeez, sorry to hear you're having this problem. For you, it stress, pressure, frustration and will take over your life.
http://www.nytimes.com/1983/04/23/st...riticized.html
This certainly is not how the system is supposed to work, but sadly, it rarely does for the little guy.
Agreed. The NY Times article "G.M. WAY OF SETTLING COMPLAINTS CRITICIZED By PETER KERR Published: April 23, 1983" shows things haven't changed much since then....
Crossed Flags Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #36
NASTYC7
CF Senior Member

I would start with a call to your insurance company.. After all they are insuring it..
NASTYC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #37
NASTYC7
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschuyler View Post
Asking for help suing someone here is like hiring the Captain of the Titanic to head up your water safety program. What are you thinking? Seriously?
Because you base this on your self worth? SAD!!
Old 01-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #38
Maxie2U
CF Senior Member

I’m retired so I would have the time to do a direct approach and a real motivator for the dealer.

I would park the car on the street right next to the main entrance. I would have a BIG SIGN in my hand that reads, “BEFORE YOU BUY A CAR FROM THIS DEALER LOOK AT WHAT THEY DID TO MY CAR THEN REFUSED TO FIX IT”.

I doubt they would want you to stay around long...a real movitation for them to finally get this resolved. Even if they are stupid enough not to proactively engage to resolve the problems to your satisfaction it would make me feel better that I am sticking it to them like they are sticking it to me.

Oh, if they threaten to call the police let them it’s not illegal to stand on a sidewalk, it is NOT THEIR PROPERTY NOR IS IT TRESPASSING. Sidewalks are public right of ways.

And yes, “I” would absolutely do this.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 01-14-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Maxie2U is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maxie2U For This Useful Post:
ojm (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 02:51 PM   #39
NASTYC7
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie2U View Post
I’m retired so I would have the time to do a direct approach and a real motivator for the dealer.

I would park the car on the street right next to the main entrance. I would have a BIG SIGN in my hand that reads, “BEFORE YOU BUY A CAR FROM THIS DEALER LOOK AT WHAT THEY DID TO MY CAR THEN REFUSED TO FIX IT”.

I doubt they would want you to stay around long...a real movitation for them to finally get this resolved. Even if they are stupid enough not to proactively engage to resolve the problems to your satisfaction it would make me feel better that I am sticking it to them like they are sticking it to me.

Oh, if they threaten to call the police let them it’s not illegal to stand on a sidewalk, it is NOT THEIR PROPERTY NOR IS IT TRESPASSING. Sidewalks are public right of ways.

And yes, “I” would absolutely do this.
Exactly.. I doubt you would be out there very long. so a few hours in the morning or even a Saturday... I am pretty sure the wheels would start moving...

But on the other hand... Now after they get your car... Will they drag it on forever too? Oh we are waiting for some back orderd paint.....

I did this to Lowes. There brand Sawzall had a weak guide that broke very easily. 2 of the 3 I bought broke. Went to exchange them about 2 weeks later they said I had to send them to a repair place.... I said no and they fought me even the manager. So I bought a sharpie and asked for a box. Drew in big box letters.. "Lowes sells Junk and won't replace it!". Walked back to returns and asked for the manager. Said are you going to return these and give me my money back or replace them or do I sit outside the doors and show your customers this and your tools? I bought Dewalts from Depot with my returned money...
Old 01-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #40
123vette456
CF Senior Member

I agree with a sign etc. Also the limits in small claims court in all of California is $10,000.
123vette456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Need Help Suing Dealership
  •