Sponsored by:

Need Help Suing Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 02:38 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Get a lawyer and sue. GM customer service is just as bad as these shady dealerships. GM will go off of the word of the dealership service manager or body shop manager.

You're right about it tarnishing the brand. It's really sad to say, but I don't think I'll get another one again.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:40 PM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts

My wife is Sicilian, and her family goes back to a time when things got resolved without any need to consult others. When people start thinking they can push you around like this, a simple face-to-face discussion to let them know that the family has taken an interst in how this matter is resolved can work wonders ...

Just sayin ...

Last edited by Range_Rat; 01-14-2018 at 04:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Crossed Flags Fan (01-15-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 05:44 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Range_Rat
My wife is Sicilian, and her family goes back to a time when things got resolved without any need to consult others. When people start thinking they can push you around like this, a simple face-to-face discussion to let them know that the family has taken an interst in how this matter is resolved can work wonders ...

Just sayin ...
Yeah right! That will work. Just sayin
Old 01-14-2018, 08:28 PM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
Yeah right! That will work. Just sayin
Well, it worked in the 1930's and it worked in the movies ...

Last edited by Range_Rat; 01-14-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:38 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by blb078
Talk to a lawyer who specializes in this type of thing. He will be able to best advise you. Now here is the issue if you sue. 1. there is no guarantee you will win, but let's say you do, great you get your car fixed, replaced, or whatever. So far great. 2. even though you won the suit doesn't mean you win your attorney fees back, that is up to the judge to decide. If you don't win them, then you're looking at way more in costs than it would be to take the car to a proper paint shop. 3. You don't win, now you're out your attorney fees like #2 only you still have to pay for your car to get fixed. 4. You don't win and they try to get the judge to award them their attorney fees which you would have to pay and you are still stuck with a car with messed up paint. 5. once they see you have lawyered up they decide to just take car of it. This is the base case scenario as you don't have go to court rely on a judge to see it your way and then hope he awards you your fees.

It sounds like you have good documentation, so nothing wrong with paying a lawyer a few hundred bux to get the ball rolling and see how they play their hand. You might be out the money but it's better than going through a trial or even just spending time negotiating without going to trial. I've been sued before through my business and actually came out on top but didn't get my attorney fees so it cost me a nice five figure chunk of change so in reality I lost. One thing with attorneys is that they charge you for everything, I'm in the Midwest where a good attorney is a couple hundred bux and hour out in CA where you are at will probably be even more.
1) Advice to consult a lawyer with expertise in this kind of case is excellent.
2) Most lawyers will do a free/low cost initial consultation to see if the case is worth their time and energy. If a lawyer tells you it will cost you more than it's worth, believe that lawyer.
3) Get an estimate (free) from a good body shop on how much it will cost to fix the problems. Factor that in to your calculations.

Don't worry about getting even, just fix the problem at minimum cost to yourself, and move on, whether that involves a lawsuit or not. Rationally considered, a lawsuit may be more trouble and cost than it's worth.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:45 PM
hanks10GS
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I’m retired so I would have the time to do a direct approach and a real motivator for the dealer.

I would park the car on the street right next to the main entrance. I would have a BIG SIGN in my hand that reads, “BEFORE YOU BUY A CAR FROM THIS DEALER LOOK AT WHAT THEY DID TO MY CAR THEN REFUSED TO FIX IT”.

I doubt they would want you to stay around long...a real movitation for them to finally get this resolved. Even if they are stupid enough not to proactively engage to resolve the problems to your satisfaction it would make me feel better that I am sticking it to them like they are sticking it to me.

Oh, if they threaten to call the police let them it’s not illegal to stand on a sidewalk, it is NOT THEIR PROPERTY NOR IS IT TRESPASSING. Sidewalks are public right of ways.

And yes, “I” would absolutely do this.
This is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading every post. Nothing like exercising your First Amendment rights.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:43 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
Not sure of the rules in Calif. for Small Claims court but in Michigan, the defendant (dealership) can make a motion to have the case moved from Small Claims to the General Civil docket. There, attorney's are allowed to represent the defendant, as well as for the plaintiff. My point is, there is no guarantee that the case will be heard in Small Claims, if the defendant has it moved to the General Civil docket. My suggestion would be to consult with an attorney for his advice.
In CA neither party can be represented by an attorney in Small Claims Court. If defendant appeals it goes to Superior Court but again, no attorney representation.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:06 PM
carguy123
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

you should load up your car with explosives and blow up the dealership
well have a plack or some s**t for you
Old 01-15-2018, 07:07 AM
BoosTTed C6
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
1) Advice to consult a lawyer with expertise in this kind of case is excellent.
2) Most lawyers will do a free/low cost initial consultation to see if the case is worth their time and energy. If a lawyer tells you it will cost you more than it's worth, believe that lawyer.
3) Get an estimate (free) from a good body shop on how much it will cost to fix the problems. Factor that in to your calculations.

Don't worry about getting even, just fix the problem at minimum cost to yourself, and move on, whether that involves a lawsuit or not. Rationally considered, a lawsuit may be more trouble and cost than it's worth.

I am a lawyer. The above quote is solid advice.

In the future, do not resort to phone calls. They are easily ignored. Someone once said “if it can’t be read, it hasn’t been said.” Send a letter. Certified mail is something entirely different.

Meet multiple lawyers. Hire the one with the best advice, not the best sales pitch. If you hire a lawyer, listen to that lawyer. Do not spend more than it’s worth. Standing on principle is not good advice for you - too costly.

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:18 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

1. Talk to your insurance company for advice in your state.
2. Get the car fixed to your satisfaction on your dime so you can enjoy the car and stop aggravating yourself.
3. Take the cost of the out of pocket repair to small claims court and be done. Dealership has insurance for such issues.

So simple..............100 phone calls? Your head must hurt.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:47 AM
HDBADDOG55
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts

In California you can sue the dealership in Small Claims Court for up to $10,000.00. Take your car to a reliable body shop. Get it fixed to your satisfaction. It can't possibly cost near $10,000.00. Then, with your damages fixed, sue them in Small Claims Court. Filing fees are reduced, and, there are no attorneys allowed in Small Claims Court. If what you post is true, sounds like a slam dunk case to me.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:27 AM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

To the OP - Very sorry to hear what you've been through !!!

Personally - I would go to a GOOD Body shop (one that employs people that actually care about doing good work) to get the repair work done (talk to people you know for references) - clearly the shop that's affiliated with the dealer you had do the original work on the car does not qualify....

I would also spend a couple of hundred dollars and speak to an attorney, and as BoosTTed C6 said - listen to the advice you get. A decent attorney can tell you about the options you have better than most of the people on the Forum can. Small claims court may well be your best bet - but getting some legal advise is not a bad idea at this point in the game - and right now - you are still in control of how much is being spent.

Three things to add to this:

1) the other day a good friend was at a local (non-Chevrolet) dealership parts department - the person in front of him was insisting that he needed to speak to the Manager. The person at the parts department said that manager wasn't in - but took the persons name and phone number down, and said that he's get the message to the manager - the customer then left. As my friend got to the counter - the parts guy took the piece of paper with the name / number on it - crumpled it up and just threw it away. That's a lovely example of how some dealership employees treat their customers....

2) If you do choose to meet with the owner / GM of the dealership and if you bring your documentation - don't bring the originals - bring photocopies. That way nothing happens to any of the original documents, and it also sends a message that you may just be planning to escalate this matter.

3) If anyone from GM / Chevrolet Management is reading this thread - the Mid-Engine Corvette is going to be coming out in a year or so. It will be a $100K + car. The people who buy these cars are expecting the type of treatment that other manufacturers provide to people who purchase $100K + cars. If GM is going to be successful at selling cars in this range - GM / Chevrolet Management NEEDS to make sure that your customers are WELL taken care of !!! The experiences that the OP is going through are simply NOT ACCEPTABLE, and if allowed to continue - will cause GM to lose far more customers than having a "halo car" will ever generate. You need to put policies in place to make sure the dealerships provide customers with the level of service that your competitors do !!! Maybe that means telling some dealerships that have negative reviews that they don't get ANY allocations of the higher priced vehicles. Maybe that means that franchise owners will be summoned to GM Headquarters to personally answer GM Senior Management about customer complaints or the franchise agreement will be voided.

Just sayin....
Old 01-15-2018, 09:51 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple92
3) If anyone from GM / Chevrolet Management is reading this thread - the Mid-Engine Corvette is going to be coming out in a year or so. It will be a $100K + car. The people who buy these cars are expecting the type of treatment that other manufacturers provide to people who purchase $100K + cars. If GM is going to be successful at selling cars in this range - GM / Chevrolet Management NEEDS to make sure that your customers are WELL taken care of !!! The experiences that the OP is going through are simply NOT ACCEPTABLE, and if allowed to continue - will cause GM to lose far more customers than having a "halo car" will ever generate. You need to put policies in place to make sure the dealerships provide customers with the level of service that your competitors do !!! Maybe that means telling some dealerships that have negative reviews that they don't get ANY allocations of the higher priced vehicles. Maybe that means that franchise owners will be summoned to GM Headquarters to personally answer GM Senior Management about customer complaints or the franchise agreement will be voided.
Just sayin....
Unfortunately, none of what you are stating here will make a difference. They will sell EVERY mid engine car that they make regardless of how the stores treat customers...I've been buying new GM cars for 45 years with no change. Just sayin....
Old 01-15-2018, 10:23 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

To the OP - Very sorry to hear what you've been through !!!

Personally - I would go to a GOOD Body shop (one that employs people that actually care about doing good work) to get the repair work done (talk to people you know for references) - clearly the shop that's affiliated with the dealer you had do the original work on the car does not qualify....

I would also spend a couple of hundred dollars and speak to an attorney, and as BoosTTed C6 said - listen to the advice you get. A decent attorney can tell you about the options you have better than most of the people on the Forum can. Small claims court may well be your best bet - but getting some legal advise is not a bad idea at this point in the game - and right now - you are still in control of how much is being spent.

Three things to add to this:

1) the other day a good friend was at a local (non-Chevrolet) dealership parts department - the person in front of him was insisting that he needed to speak to the Manager. The person at the parts department said that manager wasn't in - but took the persons name and phone number down, and said that he's get the message to the manager - the customer then left. As my friend got to the counter - the parts guy took the piece of paper with the name / number on it - crumpled it up and just threw it away. That's a lovely example of how some dealership employees treat their customers....

2) If you do choose to meet with the owner / GM of the dealership and if you bring your documentation - don't bring the originals - bring photocopies. That way nothing happens to any of the original documents, and it also sends a message that you may just be planning to escalate this matter.

Just sayin....
Here is the problem with your "theory". There already is a plan in place to award or to penalize the dealer for poor customer interaction. Every GM dealer earns a CSI ( Customer Satisfaction Index) score that is tied to monetary rewards and every dealer is obligated by contract to this score in their Sales and Service Agreement. There have in fact been dealer cancellations because of unreasonable CSI scores although they are rare and difficult due to varying state laws. I can tell you with no uncertainty that it is difficult for the dealer to live with an exceptionally low CSI score.

It is easy to condemn all Chevrolet dealers for their treatment of Corvette owners. Truthfully, we have no idea of the total picture when we read complaints on this forum. It could be every Corvette that suffers in a particular dealership and it could be one of the only problems ever. There is no way Corvette customer treatment will ever be on the level of luxury car dealers. The margins are considerably different overall and the manufacturers assistance completely different. On the other hand, that $120,000 C8 is not going to be $175,000 that it would be in a luxury dealership. Compromises...there are always compromises.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:30 AM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Better call Sal.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:47 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by vbdenny
Better call Sal.
Sal?
Old 01-15-2018, 11:14 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
Unfortunately, none of what you are stating here will make a difference. They will sell EVERY mid engine car that they make regardless of how the stores treat customers...I've been buying new GM cars for 45 years with no change. Just sayin....
Personally I have faith in my dealership and not only the one I use but several other local dealerships. I have a good relationship. I do my part to treat them with respect and when I have had issues they work hard to take care of ME. To paint all dealers with the same broad brush is a BIG mistake. Most dealers ARE customer focused and work with the customer. There is always 2 sides to every story and on the forum we usually only hear one side.

This is no different then any other business transaction. A restaurant a doctor or whatever other service. Nothing is perfect.

Sad the first thing folks say is lawyer up.
The following users liked this post:
AWOL (01-16-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help Suing Dealership

Old 01-15-2018, 01:07 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
You're probably correct - at least in the year they are introduced they will sell out, but after a couple of years - the "sell" of the significantly more expensive Mid Engine model will be more difficult. The fact is that even C4's were far more capable than the vast majority of drivers. The C5, C6, and C7 pushed the bar higher, and I kind of doubt that overall the level of driving skill is improving much..... There will be track time differences between a Z06 C7 and the Mid engine C8 - but I kind of doubt that most buyers will ever really find themselves in a situation on a public road where there is a noticeable handling difference (Yes - purely speculation on my part).... But - I think we all know that other manufacturers will have cars that compete against the ME C8 Vette - and if GM really drops the ball on handling the customer service side of the house - some prospective buyers will certainly move to other brands.

As I was writing my response - I was thinking what GM would have to do to get me to buy a Daily Driver type car from them - I could not think of one car GM car that I would spend money on (as a DD) - and certainly part of that was the service aspect (or should I say lack of service aspect)....
Old 01-15-2018, 01:32 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

You're probably correct - at least in the year they are introduced they will sell out, but after a couple of years - the "sell" of the significantly more expensive Mid Engine model will be more difficult. The fact is that even C4's were far more capable than the vast majority of drivers. The C5, C6, and C7 pushed the bar higher, and I kind of doubt that overall the level of driving skill is improving much..... There will be track time differences between a Z06 C7 and the Mid engine C8 - but I kind of doubt that most buyers will ever really find themselves in a situation on a public road where there is a noticeable handling difference (Yes - purely speculation on my part).... But - I think we all know that other manufacturers will have cars that compete against the ME C8 Vette - and if GM really drops the ball on handling the customer service side of the house - some prospective buyers will certainly move to other brands.

As I was writing my response - I was thinking what GM would have to do to get me to buy a Daily Driver type car from them - I could not think of one car GM car that I would spend money on (as a DD) - and certainly part of that was the service aspect (or should I say lack of service aspect)....
Whether you like the product or not is one question but Cadillac always finishes high in customer satisfaction and satisfaction with the dealer.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:49 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
Whether you like the product or not is one question but Cadillac always finishes high in customer satisfaction and satisfaction with the dealer.
I know that I'm much older than most here. I ordered my first Cadillac in 1977 and have driven them since, including my 2016 CTS4 which is the finest one yet for me. There are issues with Caddy stores and I've had them but your comment is correct for the most part.

Quick Reply: Need Help Suing Dealership