So who can tell me what this symbol means

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 03:22 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by TyBoo
My left mirror tilts down in reverse. Maybe that's only for states that have one way streets with parking on both sides.

I bet that poor guy never asks another questions of this bunch of friendly people!
Yep, I just have mine set so only the passenger mirror tilts down!

If I park on the left side of a one way street I can look out the window!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-14-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:32 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Resonator

It would be nice if GM did make a Cadillac version of the Corvette again. It could be loaded down with luxury features, made for those who would prefer to sacrifice some performance for luxury, and the Chevy version could be more bare bones, for those who prefer raw performance over luxury.
Yes it's called a CADILLAC.Not a CORVETTE..With Corvette being a American Icon it should be left that way.
Here is your CADDY
http://www.cadillac.com/v-series/ats...3_p24995583946
Old 01-14-2018, 05:39 PM
Resonator
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Yes it's called a CADILLAC.Not a CORVETTE..With Corvette being a American Icon it should be left that way.
Here is your CADDY
http://www.cadillac.com/v-series/ats...3_p24995583946
You got my point completely backwards. I was explaining why Corvettes generally have fewer luxury features than similarly priced cars. Not interested in a Cadillac. I would gladly buy a stripped down bare bones high performance Corvette if they offered one.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:59 PM
RCZ51C7
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

I just logged in to comment! seriously!!!! You never go full Hoa! never! Semper FI
Old 01-14-2018, 06:43 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

I have the ATS... It is a badazz car with every luxury item.

My C7 mirrors don't automatically tilt down and I have the same icon on my button.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:29 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
You must not own a Corvette. Corvette mirrors only fold back manually, and as far as I know they have never been powered.
I’m a 1LT owner so I don’t KNOW (or care) a lot about interior options. Like I said, it was a guess. I own and daily drive this car...

Old 01-14-2018, 10:33 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
My C7 mirrors don't automatically tilt down and I have the same icon on my button.
You have to program if you want them to tilt and if right left of both.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:58 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

You guys are a hoot! i am surprised that my question on a stupid little symbol would have generated so much fun and some actual serious responses, which I had hoped for. I assumed it was just a mirror, but decided to ask just to see if there was some other explanation.

THANKS to all who have contibuted....

Interesting that some even mildy suggested I was too dumb to have the car...to those I say, I might be, but I had the money so they sold me the car., So if you are driving Brea watch out for me.....
Old 01-15-2018, 04:37 AM
bankers1
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

It doesn't matter, what evers in the mirror is BEHIND you. Where it should be.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:31 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Well I've finally figured out the damned button icon. Thanks to mountainears simplified graphic I now realize the center icon is the mirror and the stub on the side is the mount. OK, my first view was from above (don't know why) and the stub looked like a folded mirror. Others must have had the same thought. But what about 2 sets of arrows? After realizing the mirror was the center of the graphic it was a small jump to the idea that the center arrows explain the movement of the plane of the mirror and the outside arrows explain the associated button movement for that direction.

Don't you just love deep thinking about trivial stuff?
Old 01-15-2018, 08:01 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tome
You guys are a hoot! i am surprised that my question on a stupid little symbol would have generated so much fun and some actual serious responses, which I had hoped for. I assumed it was just a mirror, but decided to ask just to see if there was some other explanation.

THANKS to all who have contibuted....

Interesting that some even mildy suggested I was too dumb to have the car...to those I say, I might be, but I had the money so they sold me the car., So if you are driving Brea watch out for me.....
Not dumb at all it was fun!

This is another long story that I have used in many committee meetings where we would spend hours discussing, for example, what letter could be used for silicon in a welding wire code since “S” was already taken! It wound up being “K” which it still is today! My answer was, it will only make a difference to our volunteer committee, as those using it will just look it up only when needed!

Egyptian Hieroglyphics
Many years ago, I was in the British History Museum in their excellent Ancient Egypt exhibits. As with many of the artifacts “acquired” they got the Rosetta Stone from the French as spoils from war after Napoleon confiscated it from Egypt!

Went to a seminar conducted by an archivist and learned that even after the stone was discovered, which had the same message in three languages, one being the well known Greek as well as Hieroglyphics it still took years to decipher the Hieroglyphics! Jean-Francios Champollion was an Egyptian scholar and it still took him 22 years building on the extensive work of others for him to figure out the “secret."

I recall in the lecture it was said simply (although not perfectly accurate) “Although some cartouches, such as “Cleopatra” we symbolic representations most other characters were like letters or a combination representing the verbal language BUT leaving out all vowels to be understood and inserted by the Nobility, Priests and Scribes! Adding to this "only insiders knew how to read the language" was a letter in the Museum from a father to a son that stated, "You were not born into Nobility, are not a Priest so best you learn to be a Scribe!" Ah yes, job security!

Always felt I did not want to use words or symbols that the average person did not understand! So, for example, I do not use the official word for MIG, Wire Welding etc, which is an insider, GMAW. TIG welding is similar GTAW! Doesn't even work for engineers in Europe where it becomes WIG since Tungsten is called Wolfram!

Therefore I chuckle when any proposal is thought to be perfect! IMO only to the “inventor” and those they convince it is! Most of the Egyptians only looked at the pictures on the walls. Just like in the Renaissance, paintings by da Vinci and Michelangelo etc communicated religious ideas to the masses who did not read!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-15-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:36 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Resonator
You got my point completely backwards. I was explaining why Corvettes generally have fewer luxury features than similarly priced cars. Not interested in a Cadillac. I would gladly buy a stripped down bare bones high performance Corvette if they offered one.
It’s called a Grand Sport 1LT.

By the way, this is a long thread about a stupid symbol.

Last edited by SRQStingray; 01-15-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:22 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

The artist formally known as Prince, used an unpronounceable symbol as his name.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:22 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Any Guesses?

How long can this topic continue?
The following users liked this post:
loyalsince72 (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 01:34 PM
Morris9
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I think you are over thinking this. It is just a representation of a side mirror.
Correct answer !
Old 01-15-2018, 01:52 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
How long can this topic continue?
I suspect it has something to do with most not being able to drive their cars due to the winter weather....... LOL
The following users liked this post:
loyalsince72 (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 02:30 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

People can be confused by, and complain about, the mirror switch.

But even though I'd read the manual and knew what the emergency door release on the floor was in our C6, and tested it a couple of times; it still took me several years to figure out what the drawing on the lever was indicating. It looked like a shoe with an untied lace. The C7 drawing is only slightly better.

If the C6/C7 was an airplane, there would be a big red and white arrow on the door, going down to the floor lever, with the words "Lift Lever for Emergency Exit"

Get notified of new replies

To So who can tell me what this symbol means

Old 01-15-2018, 02:37 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

This is the thread that will not die!
Old 01-15-2018, 04:08 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I really am laughing out loud at a thread that's being kept alive by posts saying it should die.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:55 AM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

^^^

Quick Reply: So who can tell me what this symbol means