2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mschuyler
I suspect in a few years you won't be asking te question because sticks won't be available. Nationally it's already at 97% autos. You can't buy a truck with a stick (a few "work trucks" excluded that nobody wants anyway) We already have a whole generation that has not had the opportunity to learn a stick. The writing is on the wall, I'm afraid.
Not only that, I'm also afraid that the auto manufacturers are starting to eliminate the shifter all together. I rented a car in SF last month that had a **** to shift gears vs. an actual gear shift. I literally didn't know where to place my right hand/arm while driving. I hated it!
Old 02-24-2018, 02:25 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
When I bought my first Corvette (2004 C5 Vert), my wife begged me not to get a manual as she would like to occasionally drive it, even though I bought it as a weekend fun car and not my daily driver. Following the "Happy wife, happy life" model, I purchased the A4. It's been a great car and great transmission, however over the 14 years of ownership, my wife has only driven the car one time. She says she likes driving it, she just hates parking it.

Anyway, I plan to order a 2019 Z06 in the upcoming months (weeks) and I've gone back and forth on the transmission choice. The area I live in has experienced tremendous growth and with that growth has come increased traffic. The roads where I used to enjoy some spirited driving are now full of cars most of the time. There are still some nice driving roads around, however I have to drive further away in order to get there.

Even with the increased traffic, I'm still leaning towards the M7 primarily because I have three friends who own 2015-2017 Z06s with the A8 and all three of them have had transmission issues. One of them, who has brought his car into the dealership three times to help solve the shudder in low gears was recently told to simply wait for the transmission to completely seize up and they will replace the entire transmission. That has really spooked me on the A8.

I know there are many owners who have not had any issues with their automatic transmissions, however all three of my friends have told me to get the M7! Plus the sound of the Rev Match downshifting is intoxicating.
Lots and lots of guys here with A8's. Great driver to me I love mine.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:11 PM
Wemattson
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

When I started looking for my C7 I was looking for a black convertible M7 Z51 with kalahari interior but couldn’t find one in stock anywhere but was able to find one as an A8. I was able to get a really good deal on it being that it was an in stock purchase, which I wouldn’t have gotten if I had ordered it. With that said, I am very happy with the decision and I drive it in manual always, which is still fun. However, I am fortunate that I also have a Triumph TR6 that I restored and installed a 5-speed conversion so when I want true old school manual transmission fun, I take that out for a blast on the back roads near us.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:08 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Not only that, I'm also afraid that the auto manufacturers are starting to eliminate the shifter all together. I rented a car in SF last month that had a **** to shift gears vs. an actual gear shift. I literally didn't know where to place my right hand/arm while driving. I hated it!
Oh, yeah! I was in some sort of BMW where the "shifter" was a three position **** on the dash. Reminiscent of my 64 Dodge Dart with a push button shifter to the left of the steering wheel.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:46 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
I suspect in a few years you won't be asking te question because sticks won't be available. Nationally it's already at 97% autos. You can't buy a truck with a stick (a few "work trucks" excluded that nobody wants anyway) We already have a whole generation that has not had the opportunity to learn a stick. The writing is on the wall, I'm afraid.
So true. Where I work they have a large section of a warehouse that they use to store cars for the winter. At this time of year some of those cars start getting removed and a good portion of those cars have manual transmissions. But very few people at my company know how to drive a manual, so when these cars need to get shuffled around, they often come to me to do it. I don't mind one bit, I get to drive a ton of really cool cars (even if it's just at 5mph inside a warehouse) I got to drive a new Mercedes AMG GTS this week (that was automatic but nobody could figure out how to shut off the electric parking brake, or even get the trans into reverse or drive for that matter. So some automatics can be just as difficult to learn apparently!)

Last edited by Patman; 02-24-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:15 AM
paganharley
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

In my 17 I went with a m7. I missed rowing the gears. I donot live in a city so that is not a problem, unless I get in traffic on a road trip I am planning for in August.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:56 AM
sjhanc
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I drove strictly manual shift cars for my entire life except for a 57 Pontiac with 4 speed automatic that I hot rodded and raced. Both of the C2 Vettes that I owned were stick, a 67 Vert that I raced through 5 different engines, and a 66 Coupe with a big block boat anchor engine (what we hot rodders called the 390hp big block), that I eventually replaced with a 350-350hp small block I built myself, with balanced and clearanced engine parts. When I sold it because my wife wouldn't drive it due to its poor gas mileage, the prospective buyer wanted a gas mileage engine so I replaced the 350 HP engine with a 295hp small block built with all stock parts.

Right out of high school I worked for a NAPA auto parts dealer killing time while I waited for my draft notice to come. One day I was carrying a battery using the store's in-stock battery carrier when the battery slipped out and crushed both of my big toes flat. The doctor who treated me said there was little he could do, the joints and bones were too badly damaged. I would have to wait and see if they healed, or turned black and dropped off. After wearing a cast on the left foot for a month and with the right foot wrapped, I worked on crutches until I could get a shoe on the right foot, then weeks later the left and put the crutches down. Most of my work was driving the company delivery truck all day, so while painful, I could drive.

I could have used my foot injuries for a draft deferment, at the time that didn't appeal to me, my friends were going off to the war and coming back in a box. and there was a stigma attached to draft dodgers I didn't want on me. The Army assigned me to drive trucks during my first week of basic and I attended Aircraft Maintenance school, that job kept me flying instead of walking in the minefields.

My foot injuries returned to make my walking difficult many times and as I get older it is taking longer to recover. I wish that my left toe HAD dropped off, I have never been able to put weight on it anyway. I retired from working for a living and wanted another Vette, but realized I could no longer deal with pumping clutch pedals so now, I had the opportunity to buy a 98 C5 automatic that needed fixing up, the Doctor that had been using it for his daily driver for almost 20 years had been told by the car shop who screwed up its repairs that he needed to get rid of it quickly before some major problems (that they knew of because they caused them) sent the car to salvage.

He sold it to me cheap because he had been working on my back injuries for almost 30 years and he knew my Job as a GM Tech had prepared me to be able to fix his worn out old Vette. I was happy because of its automatic but bought the car to part out, I didn't think it was economically repairable (too many electronic and lots of other parts issues). I dove into its engine dic code issues and after rebuilding the electrical connectors in the engine harness, all the codes went away and it became a reliable set of wheels. I had learned during my GM diagnostic training to always fix the lowest number code first, then some of the higher codes would just go away.

I loved the way it drove and the powertrain worked like new in spite of its high mileage. The car is not a special Vette so will never be a collectible unless it becomes one of the last of its kind (not likely with way over 200,000 built, and most still on the road). I got to work on its sad interior and bug and bird dropping ruined finish, made some good buys on salvage parts for it and got it into pretty nice shape. I entered it into the local Chevy dealer's car show and it got a Best of Show in the factory original class. The Doc was really happy about that but unfortunately he passed away soon after. Not bad considering that I was only entering the show to be able to park within short walking distance for my foot, and then walk around admiring the serious show cars present.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:58 AM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Because it's faster.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:19 AM
DucMan 888
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Years ago I would have never considered a Corvette with an automatic, and with the 2000 I had it was a manual. But reading the reviews at the time of the 2014 A6 I decided it deserved consideration, but was still leaning towards the M7. I wanted my wife to enjoy the car and gave her the choice, she was leaning the other way and as a 'good' husband I went with it. I have had no regrets, in fact I am glad we didn't get the manual. I use the paddles the majority of time while in sport mode and under quick acceleration the shifts are crisp and give me a more immersive feeling. And having the auto available on more mundane driving is a nice option.
And one last thing seeing my wife occasionally drive it to work always makes her day, and mine.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:27 PM
DanZR1
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 49 Posts

I bought my 16 gently used because I couldn't afford a loaded 3LT Roadster's new price tag. I was disappointed that the car I found was an A8. Eight months and 10,000 miles later, I'm very happy I "compromised" and got the auto. It's an engineering marvel, and is smarter at selecting the right gears at the right time than I'll ever be...
Old 02-25-2018, 05:53 PM
awright2009
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

I would of went with the M7, but the A8 was just coming out, was faster, and had paddles so I went with it (figure it would be safer for me and the car to go auto)

Paddle shifting has too much delay from the press to the shift with the A8, A10 with the new camaros is awesome though, but the A8 is an awesome transmission, very aggressive when it goes into performance mode

Last edited by awright2009; 02-25-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Why do you drive an automatic?