Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you drive an automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 09:00 PM
Peter_K
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I suffer from gout in my left foot. I live in Atlanta. A clutch would kill me.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:34 PM
Vetteram
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Would have gotten an m7, but seven years ago went in for pretty routine back surgery, the trained monkey with the knife didn’t care to pay attention to his job that day, caused severe nerve damage on the left side. Starts at the spine and get worse as it goes down , below the knee and down to the foot numb. Minor damage to the right side, guess if it had to happen I was lucky main damage on left.not easy getting in and out but worth the effort!
Old 01-19-2018, 07:58 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Shifting gears is an over rated experience.
I knew I'd never shift a gear again the day my brother bought an AMG 6.3 CLS in 2008 (I still had my 06 GTO with a 6 speed in it). That transmission in the AMG changed my outlook on Automatics - for life.
Manufacturers are not offering manuals in a lot of models (GT-R, Ferrari etc ..) in a lot of vehicles. And most manufacturers who still offer both - the auto is usually faster.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:30 PM
iTom
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Obviously, you don't live in Orlando, or other crappy place, where it is bumper-to-bumper traffic with 10 minute red lights every block - or you would not be asking this.
I think I've seen you on Conroy Windermere Road a few times. I just ordered my first Corvette...2019 GS with M7. I figure if I stay off of I-4, Sand Lake Road and 535 during rush hour, I should be able to survive the clutch. Hopefully the Flame Red color won't clash with my LBR if we drive down the road together!
Old 01-19-2018, 10:03 PM
Tex Vette
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Compromise

Originally Posted by LightningBolt
This is not intended to start an Auto/Manual trashing thread.

Around 75% of corvettes are autos and if you’ve been following the C8 threads, it’s widely speculated that the ME will be produced as a DCT-only model so the C7 may be the last generation where we have a choice in transmission types. What drove your choice and why?
My wife didn’t want to drive a M7 sooooo.....I got the A8.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:59 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by M M Alexander
I knew I'd never shift a gear again the day http://www.randywisehomes.com/wp-con...ct2016-3-4.pdf brother bought an AMG 6.3 CLS in 2008 (I still had my 06 GTO with a 6 speed in it). That transmission in the AMG changed my outlook on Automatics - for life.
Manufacturers are not offering manuals in a lot of models (GT-R, Ferrari etc ..) in a lot of vehicles. And most manufacturers who still offer both - the auto is usually faster.
In your opinion.
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (01-21-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 06:19 PM
Clifftrail
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 75 Posts

90%+ stop and go driving in the city. Had other manual vehicles and the thought of the C7 with a manual would have had a negative effect on my passion to drive it daily. Just my situation and nothing else.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:13 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22

You might not have intended for this to be confrontational, but just you wait....

I've only driven manual vettes until my 2017, I switched to the A8 in my '17 GS for a couple of reasons:
1) bad back, neck and left knee so I couldn't get comfortable or into a position where rowing the gears wasn't painful
2) I simply wanted to try the auto with paddles

That being said, my next vette will be a manual as my knee,back and neck issues have been addressed and it's not a problem any longer and with the manual i know what gear i'm in at all times and it's up to me when to shift and into what gear (yes I know I can put the auto into M, but driving an actual manual for so many years, I'm more comfortable with the M7)
The only way to know with certitude what gear your M7 is in, is by reading the gear number selected in the instrument cluster.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:09 AM
TwoVettes6916
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Why do you drive an automatic?

What drove your choice and why?
As other members have posted, the decision to go with a M/T was primarily due to the traffic situation we have in northern VA, but something I hadn't considered was when participating in parades - a lot of slow and stop-and-go driving.

I had never used the paddle shifters until I attended Ron Fellows Driving School - we used the paddles exclusively. And they are a nice way to save on your left knee.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:25 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by M M Alexander

I currently own an M6 C6 (600whp). I have owned 2 previous C6's and all have been manuals as well. I also had a Saleen that was manual. I owned a Mustang GT (modded) that was automatic. Driving the Mustang GT was a lot of fun but automatic's do not give you the same feel as a true manual car. Sure, automatic's can be faster, etc. No doubt about that, technology is advancing and they are making them better each day. But saying it is an over rated experience is definitely not something I expected anyone to say that actually ENJOY's driving performance cars.
dvilin (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 09:43 AM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Default Old School

Back in the day, automatics were lousy performers. Convenient utilities and little else. Today, they are the cutting edge of changing gears. The manual boys just like to stir the pot. Even with an old stick.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:55 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I sought out, and finally found, a pristine 2014 Premiere Edition convertible . . . and an automatic is the only way they came. First auto Corvette for me in over 40 years, and you know what? It's OK. I actually kind of like it.

Last edited by fyreline; 01-21-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:01 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Crap! This thread is full of fossils with medical issues.

Sounds like a damn assisted living home.

Well, I guess that's in my future too, IF I'm lucky....
Old 01-21-2018, 10:02 AM
MrMik001
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Around 75% of corvettes are autos and if you’ve been following the C8 threads, it’s widely speculated that the ME will be produced as a DCT-only model so the C7 may be the last generation where we have a choice in transmission types. What drove your choice and why?
My C3 was manual and my C6 was manual and loved them both but became a real pain to drive to work with a cup of coffee or anything else.

Additionally, soon after i got my C6 in 2011 I started having real problems with my right foot, leg and hip when I was running. I am a marathon runner and everytime I started to train hard I was getting stress fractures and serious issues on my right side. Many docs and Physical therapy and it wasnt until one observant PT asked if I was driving a manual car. Essentially, my left foot and leg became way stronger than my right from constant pushing in the clutch. I parked the car for a while and the problem disappeared. I then sold the car. A few years later, I rented a 2015 C7 from Enterprise when on a trip to Fla. Obviously it was automatic and the tranny was incredibly fast and shifted quicker than I could ever manually. When I ordered my C7 last year, I got the A8 and havent looked back. It is a little weird not having the ability to totally shift the car manually but Im comfortable now with the tradeoff.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:09 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Cause CORVETTE RACING Drives Auto's..

Then Touring Mod with the Mrs.

That's another reason C7 Is so great....VERSATILITY
Old 01-21-2018, 10:11 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,927 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY
Crap! This thread is full of fossils with medical issues.

Sounds like a damn assisted living home.

Well, I guess that's in my future too, IF I'm lucky....
Just what I was thinking. Also so many buy Automatics because of traffic. Why sacrifice your M7 choice for the time you spend in traffic versus what you really bought the Vette for. Those beautiful days, open roads and fun cruises.
As for it is faster really how many actually race them and realize the little difference in time can be won or lost with driving skills.
Oh well makes for some entertaining reading.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:13 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by vbdenny
Traffic. No other reason.

It is so bad down here during season, I hate to even venture out. Sucks the joy out of owning and driving a nice car. May as well be driving a dented up Prius (or a 1967 Bonneville w/ railroad track welded around it).

It's a conglomeration of "Mr. & Mrs. Magoos" that bring every imaginable idiosyncratic driving habit with them.

Factor in the "Gapers Block" that brings moving traffic to a stop for any car or truck that is pulled off the road, one starts to fantasize about beaming all these "mopes" off planet.

However I digress.....................

Get notified of new replies

To Why do you drive an automatic?

Old 01-21-2018, 12:41 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by papillion
Back in the day, automatics were lousy performers. Convenient utilities and little else. Today, they are the cutting edge of changing gears. The manual boys just like to stir the pot. Even with an old stick.
Not completely true if you did some drag racing in the 60's where the Chrysler TorqueFlite transmission was king of the strip.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:21 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I don't care if the A8 is faster than the M7. I have and A8 and am bored with it. Next one is going to be a manual. Want to get more involved in the driving experience. I don't mind shifting in stop and go traffic. Gives me something to do instead of playing with myself.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:05 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

17 to 6, if you count the motorcycles. I don't know exactly what happened, but about 25 years ago (I think) I traded my manual Thunderbird in on an Acura Legend. It was my first automatic and the smoothest car I had ever driven and a joy to drive. The Acura auto tranny is noted for its smooth operation. I went through several; An RL, a TL, another RL, and then a Cadillac VTS VSport, where I re-discovered what it meant to have a zippy car (0-60 in 4.4) So when the Corvette came around my wife, who is perfectly competent with a stick, said, "We really should get an auto." And I thought, "We really ought to get an auto." But when it got right down to it, I kinda "forgot" to check that box. Of course, the first time out I killed it.

But, God it feels good to be back! I'd forgotten how you meld with the car and make it your own. I'd forgotten what it felt like to actually be in charge instead of feel like a passive passenger. It takes a lot more to drive one, for sure. All four appendages are working in coordination with each other to put the car through its paces. That's the beauty and joy of it. You get to be part of the car. Some cultures are cattle herders. Some cultures are farmers. We're drivers, and it feels damn good. I'm worried about the future--you bet, but meanwhile I'm going to enjoy myself as best I can. The manual returns me to what driving is really all about. Otherwise, you may as well take a bus.
iTom (01-21-2018)

Quick Reply: Why do you drive an automatic?