Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unfortunately my first and last Corvette/Chevrolet/GM

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 06:31 AM
BuLion
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Those chips are post factory, whether they happened at the dealership or in the OP hands, nobody will know the truth. With the heavy swirl marks and tough love on the fuel door, to me suggests likely OP hands. Even the rubs on the spoiler edge seems like it was ran thru a machine car wash and beat by the bristles. Doing a walk around at purchase to me seems evident these would stand out / be glaring. The timing seems odd...purchased in Nov '17, 2-3 weeks before OP's hands touch the car and OP is correct, dealer details are not the same as the OCD owner. I don't think I waited more than a day after it was delivered to OCD detail.
The following users liked this post:
woodsguy (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 06:50 AM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JNess
I'm not sure why you feel a re-paint means diminished value. This is only true in the case of a an accident that shows on carfax. A good re-paint would be undetectable. Hell.... A good repaint could be better than factory, if they take care to eliminate orange peel.
This is not true. Using a paint thickness gauge it will read much differently after a car has been repainted by hand than by a robot. When someone like insurance adjusters see a new car repainted, it raises a big time red flag that it has been in an accident.
TimberR6 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 08:38 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,145 Likes on 999 Posts

The internet has spawned far too many "automotive experts" that don't have a clue. GM corporate wide and Corvette to the extreme have had serious paint and fitment issues for decades. That is why they have spent hundreds of millions on paint facilities in their assembly plants...most recently Bowling Green.

The thought process that has amateurs running around with paint thickness gauges and deciding cars with any paint work are now totally without value is just backwards! For years dealers have driven Corvettes directly to the paint shop off the truck for remedial repairs. It isn't uncommon and certainly didn't make the cars worthless. I would like to have a dollar for every C2 that was painted on before delivery. But, years later, they are somehow the most valuable Vettes of all.

It is a car and not a Rembrandt! A certain amount of remedial painting that doesn't involve major body repair is not really going to effect the value long term for those who know better.
Bobert (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 08:52 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
The very first thing you need to do is call the Service Manager back that you tried to embarrass by acting like a ten year old twit. How people assume they are going to get "good service" after acting like a horses rear parts to the people who are in charge of that service, I will never understand. You bought one of several million cars GM sold last year and one of several thousand your dealer sold. Neither party is going to change the way they do business because your upset with the first new car you ever bought.

I have bought everything from a Corvette to a Bentley, several Mercedes, and multiple new Porsches and have yet to get a single one that was perfect. I have though learned not to burn everything around me down to the ground when I find a flaw. Rather, try to kill the guy who has to fix it with kindness until he proves to you he is absolutely incompetent. There will be plenty of time then to go into your little kid impression.

We have all been there in your shoes with our dream car and a problem. Acting with maturity and understanding with those in charge of fixing it will work a lot better!

What was childish about his actions exactly? His car looks like it was painted by someone who was forced to work on their day off. He doesn’t have a single paint issue, but numerous bad ones. Idgaf how many cars you’ve purchased or what make or model they were. The OP has every reason and right to be upset. The fact that this is his first brand new car means that’s he’s probably a hard working blue collar guy who’s saved for his dream car. If I were to buy my first brand new car after working and saving for however long I’d expect it to be perfect. Sorry but your response to this thread makes you the twit!

Last edited by brooklync5; 01-16-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by brooklync5
What was childish about his actions exactly? His car looks like it was painted by someone who was forced to work on their day off. He doesn’t have a single paint issue, but numerous bad ones. Idgaf how many cars you’ve purchased or what make or model they were. The OP has every reason and right to be upset. The fact that this is his first brand new car means that’s he’s probably a hard working blue collar guy who’s saved for his dream car. If I were to buy my first brand new car after working and saving for however long I’d expect it to be perfect. Sorry but your response to this thread makes you the twit!
Unfortunately, your expectations would be on a par with the OP's and would not be met. There are no "perfect" cars. If you think it is appropriate to tell the dealership Service Manager that he needs to speak with a "more intelligent person", you need to go to your room and think about it for awhile!

The SM did not build the car and did not even sell the car. He is simply the guy responsible to fix the problem. Calling him a liar and idiot before even seeing if he can accomplish that task would be childish at best and make you a twit at the least. Thinking they are going to actually bundle up your car and send it back to Bowling Green for paint work is the very definition of ignorance. Demanding a new car because of the paint flaws without the option to fix them is a totally ridiculous position no matter what color your collar.

In my experience, which I have a lot, some dealer paint work is better than factory. Look at what the factory did here and then let's see what the repair looks like. It most likely could not be worse. The idea that a Corvette instantly has a diminished value because of ANY paintwork is simply stupid. It is a total internet myth!
The following 4 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
Bobert (01-16-2018), gurneyeagle (01-18-2018), Rebel Yell (01-16-2018), ZL-1 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 09:46 AM
ladiver
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

TimberR6,

That paint is horrible but easily fixable. If the dealer does not want to do anything for you, let me know. I will trade you my Laguna Blue Stingray for your Admiral Blue Grand Sport. Bam, problem solved. :-)

In all seriousness, let the dealer fix it and move on. A car is just a car. Not worth this much stress.
Bobert (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 10:02 AM
rv3flyr
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 33 Posts

When I picked up my new C7 last June, it had numerous scratches in the clearcoat, presumably from poor washing techniques. Since the dealership didn't have a qualified detail guy on staff, they weren't going to be able to address this. Working with the fantastic GM of the dealership, he had me take the car to my own detail guy when I got home, and they reimbursed me 100% for the repair bill.

Moral of the story........... the GM can be your best friend. Sorry to hear you burned that bridge.
The following 2 users liked this post by rv3flyr:
Skid Row Joe (01-17-2018), ZL-1 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 10:19 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

I don't see where he burned any bridges... His problem is buying from a dealership like Hendrick.
From Rick Hendrick down, there is no one who gives a shlt about the customer, after the sale is final.
This is a good example where a small dealership takes better care of the customer to make them a return customer.
Hendrick doesn't care if you come back. Low pricing insures Hendrick will pull in new one time customers.

Besides, Rick Hendrick is old. He will soon die and there will be a new owner and mission statement for that line of dealerships.
It might get better then.

That would suck buying a new car... 83K is a lot of money.
I could have purchased 2.5 C7 like mine for that money. I like buying used cars.
Just remember, a Corvette depreciates 1K per month of ownership.
So diminished paint is just another factor to consider.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:22 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

The op is a troll and now enjoying a good laugh. Only one post with no response. He bought a supposedly beat up car and didn't take it back to the dealer until 2-3 weeks later. The day I bought my Z, I looked over every square inch of it before I took ownership. That night, it was in my garage and I continued checking for any flaws. If I had noticed an issue, I would have contacted the dealer the next day.
The following 5 users liked this post by 383vett:
BuLion (01-16-2018), madrob2020 (01-16-2018), Rebel Yell (01-16-2018), Satanspawn (01-16-2018), Woodson (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 10:23 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

First: if it was like that when you took delivery AND you didn't point those items out, the ball is in your court as you accepted the car in that condition.

Second: Let the dealer paint the car.

Third: Drive it and enjoy it.

I would have been on my tiptoes pointing that stuff out during delivery. If you accepted a car in that condition, well...

Get real and let them paint the damn car.

Elmer
The following 3 users liked this post by eboggs_jkvl:
Kent1999 (01-18-2018), Satanspawn (01-16-2018), Woodson (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 10:32 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

This is a paint "damage" issue which has been stated many times here. In any case, being upset that you didn't look this car over well enough before signing on the dotted line and accepting the damaged paint is not going to solve the issue. From what I can see from the photos, this damage does not appear to warrant a "repaint". Do yourself a favor and contact the best custom hot rod/bike shops in your area to see if the damaged areas can be "spot" repaired, especially since they are very small and on "edges". The local Bentley/RR body shop here does this on MANY of their cars that come off the truck so this issue is not unique. Once you've done your homework (do-ability/cost/etc.) and want to proceed I would then try to get GM to underwrite these fixes. If they will not, fix it yourself, be happy and enjoy your car. FWIW.
AORoads (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 10:43 AM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 482 Posts

My car spent a week at the dealer AFTER I made the purchase to repaint the common "front fascia to fender" (near headlight) paint peeling at the seam issue.

There was absolutely no drama. The salesman, sales manager and dealership GM followed up with the body shop director who all kept me in the loop as to the time frame for the fix and delivered a fine result with a written lifetime warranty on the repair.

Bottom line: Everyone acted in a business-like manner as it should have been. It's not personal, and no one made it such.

Last edited by NashvilleGrandSport; 01-16-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:55 AM
JayhawkCPA
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts

Hard to believe those issues were not noticed before you drove it home. In any case, give them a chance to fix the problem by repainting it and you may end up with a better paint job than factory...

Last edited by JayhawkCPA; 01-16-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:57 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

You accepted it looking like that? Sorry but you have nobody to blame but yourself.
The following 3 users liked this post by Woodson:
DALE#3 (01-17-2018), Kent1999 (01-18-2018), Satanspawn (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 11:05 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Woodson
You accepted it looking like that? Sorry but you have nobody to blame but yourself.
While I am obviously not a fan of the OP's actions, it would also be unjust to blame him for taking delivery of the vehicle and missing the problem initially. It was his first new car and very much a desire item. I can imagine his excitement. He will learn.

One must also remember just how many other people had to have supposedly inspected the vehicle from the time of build to retail delivery. These people do this for a living and the situation should never have happened. They are willing to fix it and that should happen so everyone can move forward.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:18 AM
bd377103
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Who pays $83k for a GS?
Old 01-16-2018, 11:26 AM
Dyn
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TimberR6

I explained to the SM that he was full of it and that I'd call someone else with more intelligence.
Oh wow, so you actually said that to the guy? Yea, this is 100% going to be unpleasant for you. Unless he was personally responsible, it is not defendable behavior. All it does is discredit you in the eyes of who you are dealing with. Let the lawyer handle it.

How you feel is fully justified. I'd be super salty too. Spend huge bucks on a car, it should be near perfect. That being said, I have never purchased a perfect car. Ever. Good news is, I don't think a repaint is a big a problem/devaluer as you think. Happens all the time with lots of dinged up cars. My truck ($60,000+ truck too) had some train damage on it. Repaint. Fixed. Ironically, 10 years later, the touch-up spots are the only places the paint still looks good. The factory paint failed after 8 years. Thanks Dodge!

My corvette has a wonky hood fit and all the panels seem less than perfect fit. meh, barely care. ... ok, care a little. mildy annoying. I see other peoples pics on this board, the panel fit wonkyness is normal. Normalish.

You should care more about your issue, sure. Bigger issue. But not THAT big. Not public hissy big.

Will it still look sexy as f?

Will it still run sexy as f?

You're good.

IMHO. Other opinions will vary.

Get notified of new replies

To Unfortunately my first and last Corvette/Chevrolet/GM

Old 01-16-2018, 11:38 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
While I am obviously not a fan of the OP's actions, it would also be unjust to blame him for taking delivery of the vehicle and missing the problem initially. It was his first new car and very much a desire item. I can imagine his excitement. He will learn.

One must also remember just how many other people had to have supposedly inspected the vehicle from the time of build to retail delivery. These people do this for a living and the situation should never have happened. They are willing to fix it and that should happen so everyone can move forward.
I see your point, but how could he possibly miss all those flaws?
WKM (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 12:15 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

They look like post production issues to me. OP, how do you wash your car? Have you ever taken it to a car wash?

It likely could have happened when the dealer prepped the car. Honestly, there are issues but a good paint shop can address them and only you would really know there were issues before. I would be inclined to find a very reputable local paint shop and have GM or the dealer pickup the bill.

I think asking GM to pain the whole car at the factory or buying the car back is a waste of your time pursuing and likely to result in you hating the car.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:18 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Frank_Nesta
This meets the lemon Law criteria. My cars paint was attacked by acid rain during transit. In 1999 after several trips back to the dealership and they were making the car worst. Per the service manager go to the BBB "Better Business Bureau" and write a report what has happed to the paint and that they were making it worst per visits. I think the magic number is 7. The day before the hearing I got a call form GM. They said Let us take your car to a high end shop of there choice to color sand and polish the car. If that does not work to your satisfaction let us paint it. If that is not to your satisfaction we will order you a new car. As it worked out the color sanding and polishing did the trick. They gave me a couple free oil changes for my consideration. What does he have to loose?
No, it doesn't meet any lemon law criteria. No attempts have been made to fix anything, which is a requirement of those laws. In your case "several" attempts were made to fix it. The OP has not allowed anyone to attempt to fix it.

Originally Posted by 383vett
The op is a troll and now enjoying a good laugh. Only one post with no response.
Yup. Joined the forum, made one post badmouthing GM and his supposedly-new Corvette, and not one post since then.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve_R:
Rebel Yell (01-16-2018), Satanspawn (01-16-2018)

Quick Reply: Unfortunately my first and last Corvette/Chevrolet/GM