Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unfortunately my first and last Corvette/Chevrolet/GM

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 12:27 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

There are lots of lurkers and people who buy Corvette's and don't post. I don't think it makes him a troll especially based on the story and pictures.

I certainly sympathize with him, but I don't think he is being realistic/resonable. And these are not $80K+ cars. I see people thew MSRP around a lot around here when there are issues but the reality is most people pay way less than MSRP. Does not justity even a $50-60K car having the issues this one had, but it's not an $80K+ car.
The following users liked this post:
ron landgraf (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 12:34 PM
vxplt
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Since this was an ‘of the lot’ purchase my question is this, how many miles did the Car have when you purcased it? I know you said ‘new’ but that does not mean it wasn’t driven by other prospective buyers and probably damaged that way.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:40 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

It only takes one automated car wash and your paint can get really messed up. Many times the guys wiping down the vehicles are using dirty rags with debris on them from the last car. I know the previous owner of my car used automated car washes as it was swirl city. Took me about 8 hours to buff out using an orbital polisher and top brand product. I had a few minor paint chips too but some touchup paint made it look brand new to the naked eye.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:15 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

In all honesty, most people would be shocked to know and see some of the paint defects that new Corvettes are shipped to dealerships with. It's not just Corvettes, it's every car that is mass produced. Bottom line is, nothing is perfect. Period. Personally, I have seen better paint jobs come from a collision shop than from the factory. I've seen it all, runs, dry spots, swirls, bare areas, flaking, dirt, fish eyes, etc... Some that our detailer takes care of before we display/offer the car for sale, some that gets sent to a body shop for warranty repair, some that I get personnel from GM involved with.

One option that not 1 person from GM or the dealership has mentioned to the OP; If you find the right person at the right GM dealership with the right GM connections, you can have painted body panels sent from the factory. Been there, done that.

BUT, some of the "defects" I'm seeing in the pictures are not from the factory and were done after the car was shipped, not GM's fault.

Best of luck OP
The following 8 users liked this post by Nate@VanBortelChevy:
Always Red Dave (01-16-2018), AORoads (01-16-2018), drs (01-17-2018), dvilin (01-16-2018), ElGreco53 (01-16-2018), Hopper12 (01-16-2018), rmorin1249 (01-16-2018), Woodson (01-16-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-16-2018, 01:27 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by vxplt
Since this was an ‘of the lot’ purchase my question is this, how many miles did the Car have when you purchased it? I know you said ‘new’ but that does not mean it wasn’t driven by other prospective buyers and probably damaged that way.
I was thinking the same thing.
We've seen some of this type paint problem upon delivery with the panels too tight/rubbing causing paint chipping.
But there's too many bad spots on this car.
It's like a Used car that was not cleaned properly multiple times.
How long was it sitting outside ?
Was it frozen, covered with snow / cleared off with a broom ?
IMO, too many variables
Old 01-16-2018, 01:38 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

OP's car doesn't have paint defects. His car has paint abuse.
madrob2020 (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 01:49 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 588 Likes on 519 Posts

Wow thats actually pretty bad..

-Josh
Old 01-16-2018, 01:50 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
In all honesty, most people would be shocked to know and see some of the paint defects that new Corvettes are shipped to dealerships with. It's not just Corvettes, it's every car that is mass produced. Bottom line is, nothing is perfect. Period. Personally, I have seen better paint jobs come from a collision shop than from the factory. I've seen it all, runs, dry spots, swirls, bare areas, flaking, dirt, fish eyes, etc... Some that our detailer takes care of before we display/offer the car for sale, some that gets sent to a body shop for warranty repair, some that I get personnel from GM involved with.

One option that not 1 person from GM or the dealership has mentioned to the OP; If you find the right person at the right GM dealership with the right GM connections, you can have painted body panels sent from the factory. Been there, done that.

BUT, some of the "defects" I'm seeing in the pictures are not from the factory and were done after the car was shipped, not GM's fault.

Best of luck OP
I have seen pre-painted parts shipped from the manufacturer...maybe twice in forty years. Never were they body panels. What a can of worms you are opening with that one. The inherent problems with ordering and trying to replace painted body panels would be staggering. I bet your Body and Service Mgrs. are going to love you when they read that one!
Old 01-16-2018, 01:53 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Best of luck OP
I agree with Nate. These are not defects, these were caused by someone abusing the car. When and Where I don't know. This is going to be a tough one for the OP to resolve to his/her satisfaction.
woodsguy (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 02:07 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I found a guy that does at home/office touch ups very good. Even hi metallic paint finishes. There should be one near you if you live near good populations. Maybe cut a deal with GM with some friendly talk to pay up for it. (catch more bee's with honey) they say!
Old 01-16-2018, 03:35 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Sadly young man you didn't just burn the bridges, you set a bomb to them. As it is now, and if all is as you say, the only thing you can do is go back to the dealer with hat in hand. It's either that, fix the damage yourself, or trade the car and lose your shirt. I'm old now, and learned a long time ago when you act like a spoiled kid you walk away with an *** whooping.

I said that, but I'm like others. I'm betting we have a troll here, and we won't see another post from him.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 01-16-2018 at 03:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rebel Yell:
dvilin (01-16-2018), ram_g (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 04:36 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by TimberR6
So on November 2017 I decided to take a leap and buy my first Corvette (2017 GS Heritage Edition). Not only was this my first Corvette but this was my first new off the lot automobile purchase, so as you can imagine I was beyond thrilled to drive this beautiful piece of machinery off the lot. Fast forward 2-3 weeks later to my first time washing the car (dealer detail jobs are a joke) and I notice several (10ish) paint imperfections on the body and rear spoiler. I was absolutely floored by the poor quality control of this $83K+ (sticker price) car. I'd read stories of known Vette issues in past years but was under the impression the paint issues had mostly been corrected, boy was I wrong.

Upon closer examination I could see several areas on the fender edges that appear to not have been painted. there are also "worn" spots on the inside corners of the spoiler where it looks like someone laid it down upside down and maybe slide it across the floor. See pics...

I called the dealer where it was purchased (Hendrick, Cary NC) and was told by the service manager to bring it in and they would repaint the problem areas. I expressed my displeasure with having to have a brand new $80k car repainted with less than 1000 miles. I also informed the service manager that I am aware that dealer paint jobs aren't factory paint jobs (different paint, baking temps etc.) and that repainted cars have diminished value. The SM proceeded to tell me that their paint jobs are"exactly the same" as factory paint jobs and that repainted cars don't lose value. He honestly said both of those things to me ...I knew right there this was going to be a difficult process. I explained to the SM that he was full of it and that I'd call someone else with more intelligence.

I called GM customer care from a number I found on this forum and spoke with the absolute nicest customer service agent I've ever dealt with. The CS lady and I spoke weekly over the next few weeks as I refused to speak with the Hendrick SM after his blatant lying previously. I expressed several viable solutions,or at least solutions I would be happy with:
1. Send car back to factory and have it repainted
2. Buy car back/trade for comparable model
3. Get repaint estimates from dealer and non-dealer and reimburse me the difference

After 2 months of back and forth with said CS lady I received a phone call today from a new lady at GM. After a long and heated discussion she told me GM would only be willing to work with the dealership to have the car repainted at the dealership. Anything else would have to be negotiated with dealership and was outside of what GM would do. Basically repaint or nothing. So I called the dealership and spoke with some manager there and was told the same thing... "I can help you have the car repainted, other than that I don't have another option".

So basically GM is just as bad, if not worse than any other company that once they have your money they don't care about you as a customer any more. That is why this will probably be my last Corvette/GM product I ever purchase.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to deal with these paint quality control issues form the dealership or corporate GM?
Hendrick is a "good ole boy" at the track but he didn't get to be a BILLIONAIRE because his dealerships shirked from what they do and that's make money for him. I've never been able to get any kind of deal with any of his dealerships. This is just an example they add $249.00 to the sticker of their cars for NITROGEN my dealer "$0"
Old 01-16-2018, 04:39 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
Hendrick is a "good ole boy" at the track but he didn't get to be a BILLIONAIRE because his dealerships shirked from what they do and that's make money for him. I've never been able to get any kind of deal with any of his dealerships. This is just an example they add $249.00 to the sticker of their cars for NITROGEN my dealer "$0"
Lots of dealers add stuff like this onto the MSRP because it's pure profit. When I buy a car the first thing I tell them is to subtract all of those dealer add ons and that's the price I'll negotiate from; if they're not willing to do that I'm more than willing to walk. Just because it's on the window sticker doesn't mean you have to pay it. If you think Hendrick's dealers are evil because they try to make a profit I must assume you work for free, correct?
Old 01-16-2018, 04:45 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
If Hendrick is repainting it, it will have diminished value.
Their body-shops could care less about the customer. they only care about labor hours and overall cost.
Hendrick is all about money in, not fixing problems correctly, especially when it is on their dime...
You will never see me going to another Hendrick dealership. Their body shop will never see another one of my cars.

Too bad you can't go to an independent shop for this. That color will be impossible.
The guy who paints my bikes, matches colors perfectly.
Right it's almost impossible to match a car from ANYWHERE. White is very hard I guess black is about the easiest. These new colors like that model 65 with that whatever white will be double impossible to match.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:54 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
You'd have to use a sanding disc to get rid of that much paint. It is not SO CRITICAL. If using an orbital, you can stick damn near any buffing pad and sit on the same spot for like 20 seconds before any noticeable damage. Plus those aren't burn-through marks but chip marks. This is not a paint process problem but an assembly problem. Assembly workers were careless and chipped/scratched the paint. It is very uncommon to scratch paint jobs in the paint shop.

Every picture posted by OP is bad handling of parts or bad fitment causing chips.

BTW... A repaint in the factory is done in a very similar fashion as a dealership. Likely same paint too. Spot sprayed using infrared heaters to bake. Beware of them trying to use touch up paint for small enough chips (also done this way at the factory if damage is in a hard to see area). Even vehicles that get repainted at the factory, as soon as they leave the paint shop they are repainted this way. If the damage is too far gone, then the panel is replaced with new from paint shop.

I keep trying to tell people on this forum that just because its damaged paint, it doesn't mean it's a bad paint job. Here is what a bad paint job is:
-orange peel (lack of primer/clearcoat usually)
-peeling paint (durability, often due to baking issues)
-dry spots (robot malfunction or bad flow settings)
-uneven color/metallic flakes (same as above)
-foreign material under paint or on paint, aka "dirt" (poor prep, poor quality control)
-drips, sags, corner bubbles, or "fatty" edges (too much paint in a concentrated area, due to robot malfunction, humidity or temperature issues, or bad flow settings)
-colorless holes/spots, aka "craters" (contamination prior to painting often due to handling without gloves or aerosol sprays nearby)
-Sometimes a robot cover or employee will bump the panel while its still wet, this is called a "mar", can be all shapes or sizes (loose covers, carelessness)
-Dull spots or blemishes (employee sanded defect but did not polish enough)

That's all I can think of right now. Many of the above can also be due to poor paint chemistry / ratios. It is very seldom that a panel is scratched during the painting process. Often this is 1 long deep scratch like the panel scraped by piece of metal or something. Any other chip/scratch/scrape is an assembly quality problem.
Years ago I had an Oldsmobile the driver's door got hit and they NEVER matched that paint. I was told that even though the color CODE was the same they use 5 different batches of "blue" and it would never match once that batch was gone. I would think nowadays that computers could match better than 40 years ago. One real good place in my area couldn't match WHITE on an Accord('16) If you look closely lots of cars all models have problems with matching paint especially the bumpers
Old 01-16-2018, 04:57 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
Right it's almost impossible to match a car from ANYWHERE. White is very hard I guess black is about the easiest. These new colors like that model 65 with that whatever white will be double impossible to match.
I disagree completely here. I have a car painter in my family. I have worked with him on any number of cars. I have seen him go threw test spray after test spray until he got the color perfect. He has even been contacted by ppg over a color that when sprayed did not match the color on the car. He worked on the formula until he had it match perfectly. Some formulas require one drop from an eye dropper of color to match the car. Seen it done with my own eyes.
The following 2 users liked this post by stillcrazy:
AORoads (01-16-2018), Steve_R (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 05:03 PM
JGreen
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 34 Posts

OP, great color choice, I have its twin. Mine had a defect between the bumper,hood, headlight area that I noticed a few months after pickup. A bumper was sent pre-painted from the factory, installed at the dealership, and is a perfect match.

Along with others, I don't believe all of these are GM paint defects; rather handling/washing/detailing defects.

Are you sure the defects were there at the time you picked it up? Being your first brand new car, especially a new Corvette, I can see where you may have been overcome with excitement, and missed these defects. If they were not there, I don't see how Chevy or the dealership could be held accountable.

Has it been out of your hands at any time during ownership...car wash, detail shop, garage, etc. where the damage could have occurred?

I wish you the best of luck. I am fortunate to have a dealership/sales team/ service team that is top notch that has taken care of my issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Unfortunately my first and last Corvette/Chevrolet/GM

Old 01-16-2018, 05:06 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
Unfortunately, your expectations would be on a par with the OP's and would not be met. There are no "perfect" cars. If you think it is appropriate to tell the dealership Service Manager that he needs to speak with a "more intelligent person", you need to go to your room and think about it for awhile!

The SM did not build the car and did not even sell the car. He is simply the guy responsible to fix the problem. Calling him a liar and idiot before even seeing if he can accomplish that task would be childish at best and make you a twit at the least. Thinking they are going to actually bundle up your car and send it back to Bowling Green for paint work is the very definition of ignorance. Demanding a new car because of the paint flaws without the option to fix them is a totally ridiculous position no matter what color your collar.

In my experience, which I have a lot, some dealer paint work is better than factory. Look at what the factory did here and then let's see what the repair looks like. It most likely could not be worse. The idea that a Corvette instantly has a diminished value because of ANY paintwork is simply stupid. It is a total internet myth!
Some folks haven't spent part of their lives buying cars and buying a new and a first CORVETTE is a big deal. People unfortunately trust a salesman to "look out for them" we know they won't. He probably heard all these years about how wonderful the CORVETTE was and took for granted that the car was "perfect" for $83,000 it should be we know they aren't now HE knows . Frankly the salesman SHOULD HAVE LOOKED AT THE CAR and taken care of the defects before he sold it. Big dealers don't do that so now they lost a customer forever. If you think about it HENDRICK just followed GM'S business model which a lot of times is "LET THE CUSTOMER TELL US WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT" then maybe we'll fix it
Old 01-16-2018, 05:07 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Two things.

1. It appears the OP has left the building.
2. The OP, while certainly within his right to be upset, handled this about as bad as is humanly possible.
The following 6 users liked this post by jimmyb:
jimmie jam (01-16-2018), mschuyler (01-16-2018), Rebel Yell (01-16-2018), Skid Row Joe (01-17-2018), Steve_R (01-16-2018), Woodson (01-16-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-16-2018, 06:13 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Best of luck OP
The above has "the ring of truth" in it to me, and I've never met the man. Thank you for saying it.

Quick Reply: Unfortunately my first and last Corvette/Chevrolet/GM