Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 06:18 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
I have seen pre-painted parts shipped from the manufacturer...maybe twice in forty years. Never were they body panels. What a can of worms you are opening with that one. The inherent problems with ordering and trying to replace painted body panels would be staggering. I bet your Body and Service Mgrs. are going to love you when they read that one!
A very long time ago (but less than 30 years) I was on the receiving end of a new 'body panel' painted to my car's color. It didn't take long at all and it was a new car where a panel cracked one day after leaving the dealership. No, it was not repaired.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:46 PM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Two things.

1. It appears the OP has left the building.
2. The OP, while certainly within his right to be upset, handled this about as bad as is humanly possible.
I’ll go a third. It’s extremely possible the damage was done by the owner. Some of those issues would stand out like a sore thumb. He must have washed it with a Brillo pad and don’t laugh I knew a man who bought a new Cadillac and his wife did or is this possible with an automatic car wash?

Last edited by WKM; 01-16-2018 at 06:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (01-17-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 06:49 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

It's interesting that the thread starter has logged on here today, but still has only one post on the entire forum and hasn't responded to anything in this entire thread.
woodsguy (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 06:50 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TimberR6
So on November 2017 I decided to take a leap and buy my first Corvette (2017 GS Heritage Edition). Not only was this my first Corvette but this was my first new off the lot automobile purchase, so as you can imagine I was beyond thrilled to drive this beautiful piece of machinery off the lot. Fast forward 2-3 weeks later to my first time washing the car (dealer detail jobs are a joke) and I notice several (10ish) paint imperfections on the body and rear spoiler. I was absolutely floored by the poor quality control of this $83K+ (sticker price) car. I'd read stories of known Vette issues in past years but was under the impression the paint issues had mostly been corrected, boy was I wrong.

Upon closer examination I could see several areas on the fender edges that appear to not have been painted. there are also "worn" spots on the inside corners of the spoiler where it looks like someone laid it down upside down and maybe slide it across the floor. See pics...

I called the dealer where it was purchased (Hendrick, Cary NC) and was told by the service manager to bring it in and they would repaint the problem areas. I expressed my displeasure with having to have a brand new $80k car repainted with less than 1000 miles. I also informed the service manager that I am aware that dealer paint jobs aren't factory paint jobs (different paint, baking temps etc.) and that repainted cars have diminished value. The SM proceeded to tell me that their paint jobs are"exactly the same" as factory paint jobs and that repainted cars don't lose value. He honestly said both of those things to me ...I knew right there this was going to be a difficult process. I explained to the SM that he was full of it and that I'd call someone else with more intelligence.

I called GM customer care from a number I found on this forum and spoke with the absolute nicest customer service agent I've ever dealt with. The CS lady and I spoke weekly over the next few weeks as I refused to speak with the Hendrick SM after his blatant lying previously. I expressed several viable solutions,or at least solutions I would be happy with:
1. Send car back to factory and have it repainted
2. Buy car back/trade for comparable model
3. Get repaint estimates from dealer and non-dealer and reimburse me the difference

After 2 months of back and forth with said CS lady I received a phone call today from a new lady at GM. After a long and heated discussion she told me GM would only be willing to work with the dealership to have the car repainted at the dealership. Anything else would have to be negotiated with dealership and was outside of what GM would do. Basically repaint or nothing. So I called the dealership and spoke with some manager there and was told the same thing... "I can help you have the car repainted, other than that I don't have another option".

So basically GM is just as bad, if not worse than any other company that once they have your money they don't care about you as a customer any more. That is why this will probably be my last Corvette/GM product I ever purchase.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to deal with these paint quality control issues form the dealership or corporate GM?
It's clear that you didn't really check the car out with all those imperfections BEFORE you bought the vehicle. Those areas are so easy to see, it must have been in a low light area. In any case, its probably best you get a non GM car. Oh, and chewing out the SM doesn't help anything, in fact, it only hurts your outcome.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:57 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,103 Likes on 1,733 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

OP
Old 01-16-2018, 10:04 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

From the OP, crickets. One post and then nothing. Paint damage does not look factory. Someone f’d up at dealer or the OP himself.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:12 PM
Niemienator
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by madrob2020
I am certainly not about to blame you. I noticed in several pics tho that it appears there are scratch marks/swirls like excessively hard scrubbing during a wash. It also appears numerous edges have what appear to be damage from a machine polisher/buffer, including the tips of the spoiler. Whenever machines are used to polish/buff it is so critical to have the correct bonnet/pad & not too a high speed. All edges are very susceptible to damage if even momentarily aggressively buffed by machine. Never want to "roll" the buffer over the edges, the clearcoat is not thick enough to take abuse. Perhaps this was done at said dealership prior to your arrival to bring it home & they grabbed the $7 an hr. dude to "detail" your car so it would be clean & shiny when picked up. Probably too late to try to claim that, just saying. I wish you the best of luck, don't give up, & try to be as nice as possible when dealing with Hendricks, although it might be too late. PS: Almost all the pics showing damage appear to have been done after build, they would have no need to polish/buff their cars.
I use to detail cars in high school and most of college... those are definitely buffer burn marks, and dealer prep inflicted.

They are in the tell tale areas of the car too much pressure, time and catching the edge of wheel ... aggressive polish girt and loaded buffer pad resulting in burned paint.

I would call the regional Chevrolet rep for assistance and resolution. Hopefully the dealer will also step up. See if their liability insurance would cover their wholesale cost of them giving you a new GS and sell the damaged car to cover swap costs.

Sorry for your troubles with your GS.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:50 AM
TimberR6
Navigator

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to all that replied! Didn't expect to receive so much feedback (positive and negative haha).

To answer some of the questions that I read:
1. No I didn't inspect the car as thoroughly as I should have. As most of you I work all day and only have nights and weekends free to do my car shopping. With it being November and getting dark at 5p it's difficult to inspect a car in much detail in the dark. So yes MY FAULT for not doing my part, and my ignorance for not assuming a new car on the lot would require such a detailed inspection. Next time I buy a car I'll be sure to ask them to bring it into the showroom fully detailed so I can take 2-3 hours going over it with a fine tooth comb, or better yet maybe they will let me use the shop lights to see it better. ---- But yes my fault and lesson learned. Also, only wanted a manual in grey, white or blue and this was the only one I could find with most of the options I wanted in a 200 mile radius. I may have rushed it a bit but once I found it I bought it. With all the uncertainty around the 2018's and the mid-engine coming, and the 2017 discounts I wasn't willing to pass it up.

2. Please excuse my choice of words, I didn't insult the SM or actually say ""someone with more intelligence" that's probably what I was thinking though! I believe I told him i wasn't happy with his flat out (IMO) lying to me about the "exact same paint job as the factory" and that repainted cars can't have diminished value. Per an insurance adjuster friend of mine, they can and generally do if body panels have to be removed.

3. @SRQStingray and other that expressed I took too long to answer - sorry bros I have a life other than these message boards, but I appreciate the replies regardless.

4. I can assure you that excessive swirl marks, and damaged paint were not done by me. I am fully capable of washing a car without F'n up the paint. Considering the "detail" job that was done when it was delivered I'm sure my G'ma could do a better job. I've only washed it 2-3 times since I've had it, foam gun, 2 bucket wash, boarderless towels etc. Contrary to popular belief I'm not a complete idiot.

5. Yes this is my "baby" it was my american dream car growing up and something I've had my eye on for many years that I couldn't afford. Now I'm in a place were I can and I've worked damn hard for it and I won't apologize for being pissed. I don't care if my car is 1 of 100 million sold, it's not unreasonable to expect someone to own up to this and right the wrong in an acceptable manner. I gave GM 3-4 resolutions that I was willing to comprise on they said FU customer take it or leave it. This is still America and an American built car with a historic past and it's unfortunate that we don't take pride or responsibility for our work anymore. It no wonder why so many people don't buy American. Corporate greed and the all mighty dirty dollar, that's all that matters anymore. Oh, and never meet your idols, you'll just be let down.

6. Yes, I am trying to just accept that it's "just a car" and "not a big deal", yes I get that, I get that there are starving children in some God forsaken shithole country and that a paint job on a weekend car is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, but that doesn't mean I can't be pissed an voice my frustrations here and anywhere else GM can see it.

7. At the end of the day I absolutely love the car and am amazed at how beautiful it is and how much I smile when I drop from 5th to 3rd and scare the **** out of my finance! I would do it all over again (with a detailed inspection you all do when buying a new car). Love the car, hate GM and dealerships.

Thanks again for all your posts and feedback. Happy driving!
The following 5 users liked this post by TimberR6:
ElGreco53 (01-17-2018), gpuglisi (01-17-2018), gtleo106 (01-17-2018), ojm (02-01-2018), Rebel Yell (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 06:27 AM
BuLion
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Niemienator
I use to detail cars in high school and most of college... those are definitely buffer burn marks, and dealer prep inflicted.
Kind of a stretch reaching a conclusion it was dealer prep...

If an orbital was used, not impossible, but pretty tough to reach temps which burn...

My dime is on OP who initiated this rant as the source of the patina, but that as well, is a reaching conclusion.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:06 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Maybe I missed it but I don't see where the OP has ever replied to any of our posts?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:13 AM
TimberR6
Navigator

Originally Posted by cadyshac
Maybe I missed it but I don't see where the OP has ever replied to any of our posts?
2 post before yours bud. I’m new to the boards and my posts have to be “reviewed” first so I’m assuming that takes some time. I apologize for not being fast enough for you all.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:17 AM
TimberR6
Navigator

Thanks to those that DM’d me with kind words. With all the keyboard know-it-all’s out there it’s nice to know there are still compassionate people in the world.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:26 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Thanks to those that DM’d me with kind words. With all the keyboard know-it-all’s out there it’s nice to know there are still compassionate people in the world.
TimberR6, Contrary to what others have said here, I've dealt with Hendrick, Cary NC service department several times. Yes they are pricey, but I don't agree with those who say they don't care. They most certainly do. I've read about some Chevy dealers with poor service departments, but Hendrick of Cary is not one of them. And I'm saying this as someone who did not buy my C7 from them. Still, they are easily my first choice for service.
In your shoes I would absolutely let Hendrick make it right.
Hope to meet you at a Cars N Coffee.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:31 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by JNess
I'm not sure why you feel a re-paint means diminished value. This is only true in the case of a an accident that shows on carfax. A good re-paint would be undetectable. Hell.... A good repaint could be better than factory, if they take care to eliminate orange peel.
There is no way on earth to get the quality of paint applied by the factory after the fact. You cannot buy the paint, and it has to be applied under conditions that would damage other components.

Repainted cars will chip more easily, may not match, will fade and oxidize at different rates, and most definitely will not last as long.

You may be able to hide the diminished value from a future purchaser, just like the OP overlooked the pre-existing damage before plunking down his cash, but it will be there. That ship has sailed.
TimberR6 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 09:24 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
There is no way on earth to get the quality of paint applied by the factory after the fact. You cannot buy the paint, and it has to be applied under conditions that would damage other components.

Repainted cars will chip more easily, may not match, will fade and oxidize at different rates, and most definitely will not last as long.

You may be able to hide the diminished value from a future purchaser, just like the OP overlooked the pre-existing damage before plunking down his cash, but it will be there. That ship has sailed.
You are absolutely right! Pre-the new paint shop, you will get BETTER paint quality after the fact.

There is absolutely nothing magical about the factory paint. Most of it is done robotically with no different paint than is commonly available. The modern paint shops many dealers and independents have are perfectly capable of delivering factory equal paint guality. Once the vehicle is assembled in the manufacturing process, any flaws or accidental damage that has to be corrected before shipping is accomplished exactly the same way it would be at a dealers facility.

Factory paint superiority is a total myth that 50+ years ago may have been somewhat true but just flat isn't so today. Any paint done after the fact does not diminish the value of a vehicle unless it can be detected visually. What does diminish the value is Carfax reporting paint work. These reports and convincing the buyer of their economic value was part of their business model to give their product value and demand.

As another dealer pointed out, the public would be amazed at the product delivered to the dealer from the factory in many instances. The dealer is responsible to correct these paint flaws for the consumer and most often does a great job that is never a point of conflict because it is nearly undetectable. Many dealers today will offer a life-time warranty on their paint work. Try to get that warranty from the factory.

There are many amateurs who are going to argue my point and swear I have no idea of what I speak. Those in the industry know I am correct. Thousands of cars have cosmetic paint corrections every month and they are never a source of concern again. Anyone who thinks their new Corvette should be replaced because the dealer did some minor paint work either before or after delivery and destroyed its value is just living in a dream world. A $70,000 Corvette is not a $100 item ordered from Amazon that can be returned and thrown away as part of their business model.
The following 2 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
Bobert (01-17-2018), ram_g (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 10:39 AM
k_arnold
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 46 Posts

....... I explained to the SM that he was full of it and that I'd call someone else with more intelligence.

....... I expressed several viable solutions, or at least solutions I would be happy with:
1. Send car back to factory and have it repainted
2. Buy car back/trade for comparable model
3. Get repaint estimates from dealer and non-dealer and reimburse me the difference

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to deal with these paint quality control issues form the dealership or corporate GM?

I am sorry to hear you're having troubles like this but you sure started off on the wrong foot belittling the ONE guy (Chevy SM) that can help you through this. If you haven't burned that bridge too badly, go back to him and have the areas corrected. Your proposed remedies are completely unrealistic and will never happen.

If you think GM will EVER replace a car for a paint defect, you will be disappointed. If this were a safety-related item, yes - maybe. Cosmetic defects, never.

I had my trunk lid on my '14 vert repainted at the dealer and it was completely fine. If you plan on driving your beautiful GS, you will have worse defects than this over time anyway.

Good luck with however you get this remedied.

Last edited by k_arnold; 01-17-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:42 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,363 Likes on 789 Posts

OP, how many miles were on the car when you bought it?

Get notified of new replies

To Unfortunately my first and last Corvette/Chevrolet/GM

Old 01-17-2018, 10:55 AM
NGaVette
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow..my 2cents. If you took delivery of that crap...I had a wheel issue with a Toyota truck and they fixed it. That vehicle is horrible. I have one spot on my 17 where front bumper is fit to side panel. I couldn’t sell you something like that with a good discount.. I have had cars 5 years with less damage. Best luck to you. I would bring some litigation!
Old 01-17-2018, 11:08 AM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Some of that looks like is was damaged by a buffer and would had to be the dealership
Some look like factory defects.
Some scratches also look like buffer cord if electric or air hose if pneumatic was dragged over the car while buffing.
Hope you can get it repaired to your satisfaction. Might be worth having it done by a shop you trust even if you have to pay for it and then try to recoup some money from the dealer.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,103 Likes on 1,733 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Good luck OP!

Quick Reply: Unfortunately my first and last Corvette/Chevrolet/GM