C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: In your opinion, would body filler in a C7 reduce its value?
Yes, I would use this to barter a lower purchase price for the vehicle.
84.91%
No, as long as the repair looked great, I wouldn't care.
15.09%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Would body filler in a C7 reduce the value of the car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 02:29 PM
Vuur
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would body filler in a C7 reduce the value of the car?

Would your perception of a Corvette C7's value be reduced if you knew the vehicle had been repaired using body filler instead of a replacement body panel, even if the repair looked great? Please assume that there was an accident reported on Carfax and when asked about repairs, the seller stated that body filler was used instead of a panel replacement.

Last edited by Vuur; 01-16-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:33 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I guess unless it shows on the Carfax, how would you know. The car is fiberglass. Traditionally they would take a magnet to a steel car. They cannot in this case.

What's the point? You gonna Bondo your car?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:39 PM
Vuur
4th Gear

I don't want to influence the poll results, so I won't answer your question directly, but please assume that there is an accident reported on Carfax and when asked about repairs, the seller stated that body filler was used instead of a panel replacement.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Sometimes that is all that is needed. Most of the C7 panels are probably SMC versus the fiberglass used in the pre C4 days. Certain kinds of gouges and holes could easily be filled with body filler and not present any problems. If a panel is cracked or needs a large hole patched then applying a fiberglass patch on the rear of the panel and smoothing with body filler would probably work well. A lot of times bondo works well on the rocker panel as it is an expensive and time consuming job to replace the door access panel just to patch a crack or hole in the rocker and in the end doesn't make any difference in the final repair.

Here are the GM recommended materials to repair body panels. As you can see you don't need to replace panels all the time. I believe a better repair can sometimes be made if you don't switch panels since plastic panels are not as dimensionally stable as metal parts and there could be a variation in fit that would require more work to make things look good.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
JerryU (01-17-2018), Soonere39 (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 03:20 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Depends on the injury to the panel.

A deep scratch or gouge that was filled with filler? No, not really a concern for me that the panel wasn't replaced.

A cracked or 'holed' panel that was repaired instead of replaced? I'd probably look at a discount since in my little brain, that panel would always be "suspect", even if the repair is 100% legit.

Last edited by Kent1999; 01-16-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:20 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I agree that it depends upon the size of the repair, but it would be of concern to me. It could be a just as good as a new SMC panel if done properly, but the quality of repair work does vary greatly.
The following users liked this post:
Soonere39 (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 03:22 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Just bite the bullet and get the panel replaced. Some people are turned off from purchasing a used Corvette just from the presence of an aftermarket exhaust or short throw shifter. Once the prospective buyer checks Carfax and finds out you got in an accident and you then tell them you used bondo, they will either walk or bargain for a deep discount. I know I would.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:27 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Assuming, as suggested, this shows on a CarFax report. That also assumes (IMHO) I'm willing to look at and purchase a car that shows an accident on the record.

Your question also suggests we asked and found out it was not a panel replacement, it was fixed with filler.

So that means we would have asked the buyer some info. I can't imagine finding out that answer, without knowing what the accident was. That's kind of critical I think. If it was a hit in the rear quarter by another car, that could be some pretty significant damage depending on how it was hit. So I would be concerned if a panel was not used. But if it was a mild hit, scrape into the panel, I wouldn't expect that panel to be removed and would just look at the quality of the repair.

So I think its a little unfair of a question in that I think we would know more at this point to be able to make that decision.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:29 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Yes it would concern me and I would not purchase the car.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:32 PM
LightningBolt
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Vuur
assume that there is an accident reported on Carfax and when asked about repairs, the seller stated that body filler was used instead of a panel replacement.
That would negatively affect the price, particularly for me. I would not purchase the car, either.

Last edited by LightningBolt; 01-16-2018 at 03:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (01-17-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 09:54 PM
Soonere39
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

It really depends on the nature of the damage and extent of the repair. Theres an awful lot of SMC on this car. If there was a light gouge on a panel thats difficlut to replace, then maybe the filler is the most reasonable repair.

Using a more ordinary car as an example, lets say there is a 6 inch wide dent in the rear quarter panel. While front fenders and doors are easily removed and replaced, a quarter panel often extends seamlessly up to and includes the roof. To replace a quarter panel involves drilling out the factory welds and cutting the panel at some point. Then aligning a new panel, spot welding it and using a filler to smooth out the line where old panel was cut off and meets the roof. In a case like that, its a much smarter repair to keep the original quarter panel and factory welds, pull the dent, hammer it out to as close as flat as they can and use a small amount of filler.

Without more information about the specific damage, you might as well be asking if you should get surgery on your back or take medication for it. Without knowing what it going on, I don't know that anyone can give you an accurate answer
Old 01-16-2018, 10:33 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

This is a serious poll/question?
Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

Far too many variables, as far as I'm concerned, to give a meaningful answer.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:02 AM
Vuur
4th Gear

I didn't want to give details so as not to sway anyone's answer. With the vote currently 23 to 2 in favor of "yes," here's the rest of the story in a nutshell.

Our C7 was rear ended while stopped at a red light. The other driver's insurance company is playing hardball and refusing to authorize the replacement of the damaged lower bumper half with an OEM part, insisting that body filler is sufficient. We're contending that body filler in a valuable and desirable performance car less than 2 years old is not sufficient to return the vehicle to its pre-loss condition. We believe such a repair would further lower the value of the vehicle, wish to demonstrate this fact to the other driver's insurance company, and the first 25 responses to the poll seem to be illuminating in this regard.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:39 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

I didn't want to give details so as not to sway anyone's answer. With the vote currently 23 to 2 in favor of "yes," here's the rest of the story in a nutshell.

Our C7 was rear ended while stopped at a red light. The other driver's insurance company is playing hardball and refusing to authorize the replacement of the damaged lower bumper half with an OEM part, insisting that body filler is sufficient. We're contending that body filler in a valuable and desirable performance car less than 2 years old is not sufficient to return the vehicle to its pre-loss condition. We believe such a repair would further lower the value of the vehicle, wish to demonstrate this fact to the other driver's insurance company, and the first 25 responses to the poll seem to be illuminating in this regard.
BTW, I wonder if the real question involves your state's laws regarding insurance and accident repair. You might consult a lawyer or (first?) your insurance company. In some states your insurance company might pay for the repair and then go after the other company.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:07 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

I don't want to influence the poll results, so I won't answer your question directly, but please assume that there is an accident reported on Carfax and when asked about repairs, the seller stated that body filler was used instead of a panel replacement.
The plastic panels are easy to replace and relatively cheap. If a small area on a rocker panel, for example, where replacement is more difficult, why not! The proper "plastic filler" sticks better to plastic better than Bondo to steel.

Why would the seller know what was used where? Some body filler is used on the best street rod shops to get perfectly flat steel panels, better than new! Same with old "fiberglass" Vettes (not composites as today) to get perfect fender gaps and perfectly flat surfaces!

As someone pointed out the "magnet test" can't be used!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-17-2018 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:08 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

OP, I'd be more concerned about the Carfax report. They describe damage as an "Accident", "Accident, Minor Damage" or "Accident Very Minor Damage". Some won't buy a Vette that has any damage reported. I would buy a used Corvette with either minor or very minor damage, but I'd have it inspected. Either way it's a bargaining chip. As for panel replacement vs repaired panel, either way it depends on how good the repair is. I've seen panel replacements so poorly mounted, you'd wish they just repaired the original panel. Others here have stated a poorly repaired panel is a consideration and it is. However, just because you replace a panel doesn't mean the job was done right. Geez, even the factory has been criticized on this forum for poorly fitted panels.

Get notified of new replies

To Would body filler in a C7 reduce the value of the car?

Old 01-17-2018, 11:08 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I still don't think there was enough to answer the question properly as I stated before and I don't think the poll results will sway them,
you have a biased audience.

In any case, now we know "the rest of the story".
Still don't think it is enough to answer it.
You just say that your lower bumper was damaged,
please share a picture of the damage you are referring to.
If this is scrapes in the bumper, then they may be right,
if the bumper is cracked through, different story IMHO.

Additionally, if you're not happy with the answer,
you should go to your insurance company,
have them evaluate it, if they give you the answer you want,
have your insurance fix the car and they will go after the other parties insurance. In most states I don't think you're obligated to use the other parties insurance company, you are paying yours and part of that is for them to fight on your behalf to make your car whole.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:21 AM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

The car fax is not going to tell them filler or new parts. The accident on the car fax is what will lead to diminished value either way. Some states don not force insurance companies to compensate for diminished value some do. But that is more the concern for you now, and will far out weigh the cost of the lower panel
Old 01-17-2018, 11:26 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I agree with the above post. In terms of diminished value, new vs. repaired panel won't make any difference if it's a proper repair. It's an accident report that could make the car harder to sell.

Quick Reply: Would body filler in a C7 reduce the value of the car?