Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM lost me as a new C7 GS buyer

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 08:36 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Well I think your complaint about paint is a valid one bent rims are not a major issue for most of us and the styling of the rear is subjective at best.

You do sound right for a Porsche but your going to pay a lot more for less performance. I know people dont want to hear it, but the truth is GM had to cut some corners to sell the C7 at the prices you are seeing with the massive discounts. People paying 12-20% off on average for a car that is already priced at MSRP to beat competitors.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:40 AM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

Millennial folks typically buy a Prius or other EPA approved vehicle from my experience. They typically don't really care about cars. Millenials and anyone under 40 are not GM's target audience for the Corvettes anyway.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:41 AM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

Another alternative for the OP and everyone else who has particular issues with fit and finish, but like the car, is to:
1. Find the cheapest one that is close to your dream car
2. Spend the money you saved to make it the perfect dream car
Then the only person you have to blame is yourself if it doesn't fit your specifications. There are tons of aftermarket custom parts and shops that want to install them. Good luck!

PS: The only reason I have not upgraded is because they don't have the color combination I want at this time and I'd rather buy new.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:56 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

A millennial with OCD. Gotta love it.

Solution to the paint issue...get a 2019. Problem solved.

As far as the nitpicking of the steering wheel and vents around tail lights...wtf?

Drive the car and tell me you don't like how it handles...then I'd say you have a legitimate gripe. Sounds like you just don't like the car in general which is fine, but really?
The following users liked this post:
ptran00 (03-11-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 09:05 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by dmhines
Millennial folks typically buy a Prius or other EPA approved vehicle from my experience. They typically don't really care about cars. Millenials and anyone under 40 are not GM's target audience for the Corvettes anyway.
How many "Millennials" do you actually know? My nephew loves cars. I may have played a part in that ....The OPs complaints, styling issues aside, are legit and have been posted here over and over again. The simple fact is that consistent good assembly is a problem with the C7. It is irrelevant that the car is "just a Chevy". Many of you here probably hark back to the Malaise Era (or earlier) when American automobile assembly/reliability sucked. The fact that a young person is looking at an American car instead of automatically bypassing American showrooms without even bothering to look is a good thing and it is too bad that the product he found led to disappointment.

GM should care about what 30-40 year old people think. When Grandpa dies off in the next 10 years the Vette will die as well if the younger generation takes no interest in it. No sales, no more car.
ram_g (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 09:07 AM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

I work in IT and my building has approximately 1800 people. Lots Interns and Millennials have come on board over the last 5 years . We have a 5 floor parking garage .. I see what they drive ...
Old 01-20-2018, 09:11 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,688 Likes on 5,590 Posts

The OP makes some good points, however needs to realize there are new C7s ('17 and '18s) on dealer lots with good paint and panel alignment (not perfect, but is anything?). I'm totally satisfied with my '17 GS vert. I did spent a bit of time, effort, travel finding just what I wanted.

Fortunate for GM that you decided not to purchase a C7, as it's obvious from your initial post that you are VERY Difficult to please.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:16 AM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

I understand your concerns but these Corvettes are the best bang-for-the-buck you can buy in a sports car. Come drive my C7 ZO6 at full throttle and you won't be worried about the small issues.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:27 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

OP now make a list of the positives of the C7 and then compare the two lists before writing off the C7 or just spend another 30K for a 911 and to get similar performance and better fit and finish.
The following 2 users liked this post by Corgidog1:
JerriVette (01-20-2018), RoadVettes (01-22-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 09:33 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Hope you feel better now, obviously you would be a better fit in a Miata so you can look at that race inspired steering wheel everyday.

Last edited by dvilin; 01-20-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Rebel Yell (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 09:36 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
OP now make a list of the positives of the C7 and then compare the two lists before writing off the C7 or just spend another 30K for a 911 and to get similar performance and better fit and finish.
More like $50-70K if he is comparing GS to 911 with any type of upgrades.
ptran00 (03-11-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 09:36 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

You have a C5Z and complain about the fit and finish on a C7, BWAHHAHA!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by juanvaldez:
23/C8Z (01-21-2018), 427muscle (01-23-2018), pdiddy972 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 09:41 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dmhines
Corvette aside, the average age for a new car buyer is now 55-64. It's not because millennials, or other age groups, don't care about cars, it's beacuse the cost of new car ownership has skyrocketed due to mandated safety features, technology, and probably some corporate greed.

The average cost of a new car is now over $30K. Factor in that wages are not keeping up with expenses and that's probably why so many people are driving boring appliance cars.

I'm sure there are lots of younger people who would rather drive a C7 over a Mazda 3 but that's probably what they can afford.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:01 AM
Zaphod B
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 81 Posts

I don't have an issue with the OP's position.

My '17 GS has excellent paint and no panel fit problems, but obviously some do.

I also understand the aesthetics issue. I was not a fan of the tail of the car when it was first released but the wide body of the GS and Z06 seem to suit the design better than the standard Stingray. At any rate I've gotten used to it and in fact I think the car looks badass from the rear.

The steering wheel? Oh well, to each his own.

Bottom line: If you don't like it, don't buy it. If everyone's tastes were the same this would be a pretty boring world.

Edit: Ad hominem attacks on the OP because of his age don't make anyone look good. C'mon, guys.

Last edited by Zaphod B; 01-20-2018 at 10:04 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Zaphod B:
csysman (03-13-2018), ram_g (01-20-2018), Spasetrucker (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 10:10 AM
ClydeFrog
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 95 Posts

You should buy the Camry & enjoy that paint.
PobreWey (01-21-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 10:19 AM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 507 Likes on 293 Posts

so don't buy it I don't care
The following 2 users liked this post by dashotgun:
direct007 (01-20-2018), JerriVette (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 10:20 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigredwing
Another alternative for the OP and everyone else who has particular issues with fit and finish, but like the car, is to:
1. Find the cheapest one that is close to your dream car
2. Spend the money you saved to make it the perfect dream car
Then the only person you have to blame is yourself if it doesn't fit your specifications. There are tons of aftermarket custom parts and shops that want to install them. Good luck!

PS: The only reason I have not upgraded is because they don't have the color combination I want at this time and I'd rather buy new.
That's exactly what I did. 2014 Z51 in the colors I wanted for under $40k and am fixing the issues.

Originally Posted by direct007
A millennial with OCD. Gotta love it.

Solution to the paint issue...get a 2019. Problem solved.

As far as the nitpicking of the steering wheel and vents around tail lights...wtf?

Drive the car and tell me you don't like how it handles...then I'd say you have a legitimate gripe. Sounds like you just don't like the car in general which is fine, but really?
Wanting a $70K new car to not have the paint falling off is OCD?

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
You have a C5Z and complain about the fit and finish on a C7, BWAHHAHA!!!
My 4 C5s had better paint and panel fit than most C7s I've seen including mine. Obviously the C7 interior is on another league.

Originally Posted by Zaphod B
Edit: Ad hominem attacks on the OP because of his age don't make anyone look good. C'mon, guys.
Agreed.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 01-20-2018 at 10:21 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To GM lost me as a new C7 GS buyer

Old 01-20-2018, 10:37 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by DALE#3
To many excuses to not buy one.Deep down you don't even like it.Bitching about the design too..
I think the Baby needs attention...
Funny, was happy with my C6 Yellow Vette paint, the C7 Crystal Red Metallic paint and now the Arctic White Grand Sport paint.

These are ~$65,000 cars with 2 or 3LT NOT a $250,000 Ferrari! (Even saw on TV where a new Ferrari was treated to "paint correction!")

These is a shop in town that will make your Vette a show winner. Probably only cost ~$20,000 with the paint along costing over $5000!

Did not even pay close to that for my Street Rod that had wet sanded primer before putting on flame black border, base, color and clear coats! Is it a better paint job than my Vetts? Sure but the Vette are DDs!

Yep, if you have the bucks, get a custom paint job and win shows! But suggest you not drive that final wet sanded and buffed finish as a DD!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-20-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:55 AM
w0rM
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 154 Posts

I just posted basically the same thing in another thread... the C7 isn't the only car with fit and finish issues. Go spend 5 minutes on the Ferrari or Lambo forums. There are people dropping $250K to $300K on cars and taking them straight to the detailer for 2 days worth of paint correction.
The following 2 users liked this post by w0rM:
23/C8Z (01-21-2018), Apollo29 (01-22-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 10:57 AM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713
with how tribal everyone seems on this forum I know I'll get flamed for posting this but whatever

GM has a real problem on their hands that they cannot get millennials to buy corvettes...

I am a "millennial".. I have a good job, I have always loved GM v8 based cars, cts-v, z06, camaros, etc.. I currently have a c5z. Of the millennials, I am one of the more likely ones to drop the cash for a c7gs.... and yet they lost me as a buyer

I have been looking at getting a brand new c7gs for quite some time and to be honest, most of the cars on the lots had pretty bad paint issues, bumper fitment issues, etc and it's a huge turn off.

This is why GM lost me as a buyer for a new c7gs:
  • multiple c7gs/c7z I've looked at on the lot had terrible paint issues where the bumpers meet, etc. poor fitment. This is not acceptable. Don't care what excuses 80% of you forum members have made but this is BS. This is the "halo" car and yet you can get a better factory paint QC out of a toyota camry..
  • I've read multiple people on the forum who HAVE had paint issues and still bought the car. They get the runaround w/ GM and dealer of how to fix the paint issues or buyback, etc.. NO THANKS. I had one of the "best" shops in my area in LA paint my camaro after an accident where someone hit me, and had to take it back 3 times until it was acceptable. Plus the fact, the last chance I took the car in to the paint shop, they ended up damaging the center console and claimed the damage was there when the car was brought in. I had to threaten to take them to court for them to compensate me for the damage. Granted the work on my particular camaro was not done at a GM dealer, but the point stands that body work usually is half assed. No way in hell would I be ok with a dealer "fixing" my paint on my brand new $75k vehicle.
  • The apparent large volume of c7z and c7gs rims being bent so easily....
  • Minor personal aesthetic gripes but worth mentioning.. Steering wheel looks pretty bland and large aluminum surface. Something more race inspired like the newest gen mazda miata steering wheel or porsche steering wheels would look 100% better. Also, the vents around the tail lights on the c7 looks hideous and will go down in history as bad looking. That def will not age well. I'm A OK with them trying to change up the tail lights from being round but be honest with yourself, that back end design with the vents around the tail lights looks like an afterthought. The only version of c7 tail lights that look ok is the c7z with the clear tail lights paired with the wider hips.

Maybe I'll catch a used c7gs in a few years with decent paint.. I wanted to like the c7gs but I'm gunna pass on it and wait for the c8 or midengine or whatever next comes out. GM needs to fix their paint QC issues and their customer service to stand behind their product better. Nothing is going to change unless people vote with their $$ or atleast complain or both.
Agree with some of your points, not with all, but overall a well stated post - no flames here. GM ran me through the grief mill when i had problems with my C7 so I'm now out of it and happily in a C5. I love the cars, the Company at this point in time - not so much. My C7 was phenomenal, but had problems they could not correct. Maybe a used one down the road for me - we shall see...

If they want to sell to Millennials, they need feedback like yours and others. I'll never forget when I worked at Harley. They hired a new marketing guy and they completely ignored their base customers. They ran all kinds of ads with Millennials buying bikes, riding around, playing pool etc. Most young adults could barely afford rent, much less a new Harley. It was a failed marketing attempt to say the least because the corporate "leadership" wasn't in touch with the market.

BTW, many of your quality complaints are universal.

Thanks for posting.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 01-20-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Quick Reply: GM lost me as a new C7 GS buyer