Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 10:43 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

I don't usually jump in to these threads about controversial opinion but i've got something to say.

First, the vents on the C7 are all 100% funtional. If you don't like them, thats fine, but please understand they are ALL there for a good reason.

Second, I am a first year millennial (1982), I am a homeowner with a great job, and bought my C7 new in April 2014 with 3 miles on it. At the time my criteria was a blue, yellow, or red Z51 manual trans 2LT. I called every dealer in the state of FL and there were two manual trans cars available. TWO. A black 1LT non Z51 in Orlando and a grey 2LT non Z51 in Miami. So right off the bat, my choice was to accept a car that was less than what I hoped, or buy one of them and make the best out of it.

I chose the Cyber Grey 2LT, which now has 54K miles on it. It has fitment issues with panels, some minor scratches, dozens and dozens of rock chips on the front bumper and windshield, and it seems I find a new flaw once a month. It also have been through MANY stages of upgrades along the way both aestheically and mechanically (now sitting at 850HP). I love her more today with all of her issues than the day I bought her.

Cars are like significant others. We all have an idea of a perfect mate. Very few of us ever actually find them. Nobody is perfect and neither are our cars. Everyone has the things that make them different; freckles, allergies, habits, etc. Significant others are much more than a $75K investment than a car is. But we embark on them for the parts that make us happy and don't let the parts that don't stop us. If we did, the human race would be extinct!
The following 5 users liked this post by FYREANT:
devnull (01-21-2018), JimNeedsC7 (01-26-2018), lupicon (01-21-2018), ptran00 (03-11-2018), Soonere39 (01-22-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 10:48 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Regardless of what's been said, I love Millennial's. They are the generation keeping my Social Security solvent.

The following 3 users liked this post by 1SG_Ret:
Apocolips (01-21-2018), ElGreco53 (01-21-2018), Rebel Yell (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 11:28 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by golden2husky
I guess the OP's mistake - to many of you anyway - was using the dreaded "Millennial" label. Reality check: there is a thread not too far down from this one discussing the use of weatherstripping under the rear license plate to prevent scratches. Lots of thumbs up for that one but a potential buyer grouses about poor fit and finish and he is excoriated for it. Not because of the poor workmanship, but for his age. I've lost count of how many posters hear have discussed poor assembly consistency but none were vilified for saying so. The defects that the OP photographed and posted here are not acceptable on a Corolla or any mass produced car today. How well the car works or what it cost are irrelevant arguments. What he complained about is legit and many here do so on a near-daily basis. Yet he is mocked because he mentioned his age. That really does not put us Vette owners in a good light.
It's not really a "Vette Owners" thing, and he didn't just casually 'mention' age, -- it apparently came across to most readers as "GM should be catering to me bc I am a millennial". In most forums I've participated in, a thread that starts out with the poster expressing an unearned sense of entitlement often ends in a train wreck.

It is unfortunate that some people haven't learned that when it comes to verbal or written interactions with others, communication skills are not optional, but *critical*. How you state facts and what items you choose to present as pertinent in your opening statement will determine your success.
The following 5 users liked this post by Kent1999:
Bassassin (01-22-2018), dvilin (01-21-2018), Foosh (01-21-2018), jimmbbo (01-21-2018), ricks327 (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 12:00 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

1.) The OP might be overthinking just a LITTLE.

2.) This thread gets the coveted Pcad Corvette Forum Hang-Wringing Certificate of Merit for January 2018.

Well done kid.

Look, do yourself a favor and get over yourself (you may eventually learn that is the biggest challenge for many of us, including me), but the friggin car and start enjoying your life. Although I must allow for the distinct possibility that you have no car buying intentions and Internet threads like this one are your ultimate aim for recreation. Which would be fine.
The following users liked this post:
lupicon (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 12:13 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
It's not really a "Vette Owners" thing, and he didn't just casually 'mention' age, -- it apparently came across to most readers as "GM should be catering to me bc I am a millennial". In most forums I've participated in, a thread that starts out with the poster expressing an unearned sense of entitlement often ends in a train wreck.

It is unfortunate that some people haven't learned that when it comes to verbal or written interactions with others, communication skills are not optional, but *critical*. How you state facts and what items you choose to present as pertinent in your opening statement will determine your success.

As the thread developed, WHAT the OP said was on balance accepted and wasn't that controversial, but HOW he chose to express it grated on more than a few readers... The stereotypical "millennial" is collared with an "it's all about me" world view and the OP fed into it, perhaps unknowingly, and continued to dig the hole...
Ancient advice - "When you find yourself digging a hole, step one is to STOP DIGGING"
Old 01-21-2018, 12:26 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Yep, as my grandfather put it, "if you find yourself in a deep hole holding a shovel, for heavens sake, put the shovel down!"
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
patentcad (01-22-2018), Rebel Yell (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 12:26 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Well, that didn't take long... Looks like even a safe space isn't helping Mr. Millennial...

"I need a safespace?
go f*** yourself..
You're the snowflake baby with the "safespace" with your old fart buddies on corvetteforum.. "
Old 01-21-2018, 12:48 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

OP. I am OCD about paint. but my therapy is my C7Z.. my car has the "paint push" around the fender vents... it sucks. but i accepted this knowing it was a possibility and that GM would handle it should it rear it's ugly head at some point. But you're right. Chevy is working on making it better. yes, we are in a little bit of a guinea pig scenario, but we all understand it's still a CHEVY...

Also..You're on an enthusiast's forum so it's 100% one way or the other.. COMPLAINTS or FANBOY...

The styling you've complained about? you can't please everyone but for me? my C7Z inside and out looks like a fighter jet and i love it..coming from an 08 (my first) and being in love with corvette's since the age of 11 when the C4 came out.

good luck in your search, maybe the C8 will be the car for you? god bless you and the rest of the Corvette brothers and sisters here!!

what's special to me? Corvette's can be so unique. like my 1 of 8 SGM Twilight Blue Design. one year in this color. <br/><br/>Corvette is so much more than paint and body panels.. it's a way of Life!

can stare for hours..and it's only 20ft away from me. but i love to look at the pictures and the backdrop lol<br/><br/>OP, if you bought a C7, you'd get passed its shortcomings quickly i assure you

mine has body colored taillight bezels. but i think the rear of the C7 is one of my favorite parts lol

Corvettes can be so unique.. another alluring factor to those of us with OCD.. mine being 1 of 8 ever in this color only offered one year with this design package makes me happy.. doesn't make it more valuable..but at a show there's NEVER another like mine.. even Carlisle with thousands lol

how could anyone complain about the rear of these cars? so tough looking???

it's those other photos and the feeling i get driving down the road or walking out of a restaurant and see this car sitting there... like a race car ready for flight.. that gets me past the shortcomings of fit and finish.. i hate that my fender vent did this, but i accept it (OCD therapy lol)

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 01-21-2018 at 01:00 PM.
ptran00 (03-11-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 01:01 PM
Martman C7
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Well, did anyone else receive a nasty, expletive filled PM from the OP, or am I somehow special?

OP, get over your bad self and go troll somewhere else.
Originally Posted by jimmbbo
Not surprisingly, our young millennial has been on a PM tear... Here's mine, cleaned up for public consumption.
Thin skin seems to be a trait reserved for those who have not experienced much of life...

"I need a safespace?
go f*** yourself..
"
+another 1 on the PM after he said he was done with this thread. I wouldn't post mine due to language.

He actually became the first person I've blocked on this forum. He certainly loves calling people "snowflakes" on the internet. Wonder if he'd do the same face to face with any of us?
Old 01-21-2018, 07:24 PM
Yukon Corleone
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Martman C7
+another 1 on the PM after he said he was done with this thread. I wouldn't post mine due to language.

He actually became the first person I've blocked on this forum. He certainly loves calling people "snowflakes" on the internet. Wonder if he'd do the same face to face with any of us?
He would never ever say that face to face because if he did I am pretty sure it would be the last time too.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:43 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,104 Likes on 1,733 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
OP. I am OCD about paint. but my therapy is my C7Z.. my car has the "paint push" around the fender vents... it sucks. but i accepted this knowing it was a possibility and that GM would handle it should it rear it's ugly head at some point. But you're right. Chevy is working on making it better. yes, we are in a little bit of a guinea pig scenario, but we all understand it's still a CHEVY...

Also..You're on an enthusiast's forum so it's 100% one way or the other.. COMPLAINTS or FANBOY...

The styling you've complained about? you can't please everyone but for me? my C7Z inside and out looks like a fighter jet and i love it..coming from an 08 (my first) and being in love with corvette's since the age of 11 when the C4 came out.

good luck in your search, maybe the C8 will be the car for you? god bless you and the rest of the Corvette brothers and sisters here!!

what's special to me? Corvette's can be so unique. like my 1 of 8 SGM Twilight Blue Design. one year in this color. <br/><br/>Corvette is so much more than paint and body panels.. it's a way of Life!

can stare for hours..and it's only 20ft away from me. but i love to look at the pictures and the backdrop lol<br/><br/>OP, if you bought a C7, you'd get passed its shortcomings quickly i assure you

mine has body colored taillight bezels. but i think the rear of the C7 is one of my favorite parts lol

Corvettes can be so unique.. another alluring factor to those of us with OCD.. mine being 1 of 8 ever in this color only offered one year with this design package makes me happy.. doesn't make it more valuable..but at a show there's NEVER another like mine.. even Carlisle with thousands lol

how could anyone complain about the rear of these cars? so tough looking???

it's those other photos and the feeling i get driving down the road or walking out of a restaurant and see this car sitting there... like a race car ready for flight.. that gets me past the shortcomings of fit and finish.. i hate that my fender vent did this, but i accept it (OCD therapy lol)
Your Z06 looks AWESOME and I also accept the minor defects on all of my 12 Corvettes that I have owned and I am also OCD CRAZY! I plain out LOVE Corvettes !
Old 01-21-2018, 08:54 PM
Peter_K
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

While there are exceptions, Gen-Xers are the youngest demographic. They're people with disposable income who don't need a back seat; not millennials. I doubt there will be gnashing of teeth or rending of garments in the GM offices over the OP.
ptran00 (03-11-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 08:56 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by golden2husky
I guess the OP's mistake - to many of you anyway - was using the dreaded "Millennial" label. Reality check: there is a thread not too far down from this one discussing the use of weatherstripping under the rear license plate to prevent scratches. Lots of thumbs up for that one but a potential buyer grouses about poor fit and finish and he is excoriated for it. Not because of the poor workmanship, but for his age. I've lost count of how many posters hear have discussed poor assembly consistency but none were vilified for saying so. The defects that the OP photographed and posted here are not acceptable on a Corolla or any mass produced car today. How well the car works or what it cost are irrelevant arguments. What he complained about is legit and many here do so on a near-daily basis. Yet he is mocked because he mentioned his age. That really does not put us Vette owners in a good light.
In the highlighted part, I'd disagree with you. I seem to find that most threads with "problems-about-my-car" have immediate reactions dismissing the claim, the car or the person making the post. Just as some/most of this thread has done.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:06 PM
lupicon
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_K
While there are exceptions, Gen-Xers are the youngest demographic. They're people with disposable income who don't need a back seat; not millennials. I doubt there will be gnashing of teeth or rending of garments in the GM offices over the OP.
Spot on. Gen-Xer here stepping into my first Corvette.
Also, there seem to be a lot of Millennials on You Tube enjoying Vette's....just saying...
ptran00 (03-11-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 09:35 PM
Peter_K
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lupicon
Also, there seem to be a lot of Millennials on You Tube enjoying Vette's....just saying...
Hence the "While there are exceptions".
Old 01-22-2018, 02:00 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yep, as my grandfather put it, "if you find yourself in a deep hole holding a shovel, for heavens sake, put the shovel down!"
I can dig it.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:58 AM
Blue666's
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
I can dig it.

I see what you did there.

Get notified of new replies

To GM lost me as a new C7 GS buyer

Old 01-22-2018, 11:28 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by lupicon
They're the ones doing youtube for money and getting free loaners from dealerships. Like these guys:

Old 01-22-2018, 11:40 AM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
They're the ones doing youtube for money and getting free loaners from dealerships. Like these guys:

Damn, these YT videos are a dime a dozen and boring as hell. Same story every time. Guy uses GoPro to video a borrowed car. Guy starts up car. Guy drives car. Guys tells you how annoying the cup holder is. YAWN. No thanks. I’ll watch Motor Trend with pro-drivers racing around Willow Springs, Laguna-Seca, or VIR and watch professional produced HD videos instead.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:42 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Sooooooo, you're not buying what you admit is one of the best performance/dollar bargains because of a single spot of common paint wearing that can be fixed by a half decent dealer during inspection?

Better go and pick up one of those Maybachs from a "reputable" manufacturer if you want perfect paint with no defects like orange peel.

Oh... wait.....

Sincerely, the fellow "Millenial" DDing his '14.

Quick Reply: GM lost me as a new C7 GS buyer