Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What could go wrong with this deal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 03:38 PM
ONEOF137
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What could go wrong with this deal?

I'm looking to buy a used C7 and found a 2016 2LT with only 5000 miles at a Acura dealer. I tried to learn more about the history of the car and the Internet manager told me he doesn't know anything because "the car was bought at auction". I know nothing about dealer wholesale auctions and how they would have such a low mileage, still on factory warranty car? Is there anything on a Car fax (I have) that will help explain the history? What are the possible scenarios of how this auction got the car?

Popular Reply

01-21-2018, 07:45 PM
Zymurgy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

The most serious thing that could go wrong with that deal is that there could be a non-factory tune, either currently or at some point in its history. If the car has ever had a non-factory tune and the engine fails, GM will find the non-factory tune and deny warranty coverage (and will put a warranty block on the drive train).

To verify that the car has never had a non-factory tune, you must take it to a Chevy dealer and have them do the following:
Dealer can get the complete history of all the GM Approved Calibrations and CVNs (Calibration Verification Numbers) from the TIS2WEB site using the VIN and choosing the ECM.

Calibration Verification Procedure — Using the Tech 2®

Compare each: Calibration ID Part Number and Verification No. (Number/CVN) from your Tech 2® to the corresponding Calibration ID Part Number and Verification No. (Number/CVN) listed in the TIS2WEB GM Vehicle Calibration Information screen of TIS2WEB to ensure that they are ALL an EXACT MATCH.

If ANY of the Calibration ID Part Number and Verification No. (Number/CVN) when compared to the Calibration ID Part Number and Verification No. (Number/CVN) listed in the TIS2WEB GM Vehicle Calibration Information screen, DO NOT MATCH, then non-GM calibrations may be present.
This situation has already been documented on the forum. Fortunately for the "victim", the used car dealer (CARMAX) stepped up (if I recall correctly, they gave a full refund).
Old 01-21-2018, 04:52 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Guy buys car without wife's permission. She says hell to the no, and the car gets sold back to the dealer. The dealer doesn't want it, so they sell it at the auction. Happens often I'm sure.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:56 PM
Bcarr
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 28 Posts

Auction sales are common on these because they are not easy to sell and often times they need to keep turning inventory. Call a local Chevrolet dealer and ask them to look at history by vin. If work was performed at a dealer, they will be able to see history.i bought mine with 6800 miles and ran auto check on it. Didn't learn much there other than no collisions were reported. Found out through Chevy that the engine had been replaced at 3400 miles due to a lifter that went bad and a part scratched the cylinder wall. At first I was shocked but. Ow I figure I have a car with 3400 miles on it and all is good.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-21-2018 at 11:14 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bcarr:
Gonzo (01-21-2018), ONEOF137 (01-21-2018), Red C8 of Jax (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 04:59 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,716 Likes on 2,921 Posts

Lots of used cars, new, old, cheap, expensive, and everything in between go through the auctions. My uncle is a porter for an auto auction house and has driven just about everything you can imagine, including a Rolls Royce. My dad bought his C6 used and it went from a Lexus dealer, to auction, to a small dirt lot local dealership in Oklahoma. A CarFax will give you enough details to give you an idea on the car's history since most dealerships report service history. I recently traded in a car that the dealership kept and listed for sale on their lot; checking out the CarFax from their website was pretty interesting considering the vast majority of services I had done on the car over 3+ years of ownership were all listed in fairly good detail.

Last edited by Kracka; 01-21-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:27 PM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Default Odd Or Not

A lot of dealers might not want an expensive used car hanging around. If you live in N CA, maybe because it is winter. Slow selling for cold aversive performance tires. A small town dealer might have no local market and send it to an auction. Lot of reasons to not like a Corvette. Buy it and hate it. Pregnant wife. Laid off. Too much car too much payment too much to chew. A clean Car Fax is a good thing. A reputable selling dealer provides some margin for comfort. Car is in warranty so find the nearest Chevrolet dealer to make sure they/you are comfortable them working on the car. And enjoy.

Last edited by papillion; 01-21-2018 at 05:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ONEOF137 (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 05:39 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Bcarr
Auction sales are common on these because they are not easy to sell and often times they need to keep turning inventory. Call a local Chevrolet dealer and ask them to look at history by vin. If work was performed at a dealer, they will be able to see history.i bought mine with 6800 miles and ran auto check on it. Didn't learn much there other than no collisions were reported. Found out through Chevy that the engine had been replaced at 3400 miles due to a lifter that went bad and a part scratched the cylinder wall. At first I was shocked but. Ow I figure I have a car with 3400 miles on it and all is good.

Often a car is traded to a dealer that isn't a dealer where these type cars are apt to sell or sell quickly. An auction gives that dealer a quick return on his money and puts the car into a dealership that has the clientele where that car will have some appeal.

Chevy dealer will likely have some history on the car. So run the VIN to see what's what.
ONEOF137 (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 05:41 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,703 Likes on 5,595 Posts

I wouldn't be concerned as long as you check it out thourghly and have a Chevy dealer run a check on it as well for maintenance/service history and tune. I wouldn't necessarily put much faith in a CarFax report alone.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
beaversstonehaven (01-21-2018), ONEOF137 (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 05:46 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

I bought my wife's 2014 ATS 2.0 used in 2014 with 400 miles on it. I saved 15K comparing it to the exact 2014 new car at the same Cadillac dealership.
Her car was purchased and titled by GM and parked in shopping malls and Golf course around FL for six months. Then they took it to the auction and it ended up at a Cadillac dealer in ATL.
It was a complete win for me. Since this was a car GM wanted to show off, it has every option.
My wife was looking to buy a 2.0 base. With no extras and 17 inch wheels.
She got the sunroof, CUE, and heated seats which is what she really wanted in basically a new car for the same price our local dealer was selling the base with 20K miles for.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:02 PM
ONEOF137
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by papillion
A lot of dealers might not want an expensive used car hanging around. If you live in N CA, maybe because it is winter. Slow selling for cold aversive performance tires. A small town dealer might have no local market and send it to an auction. Lot of reasons to not like a Corvette. Buy it and hate it. Pregnant wife. Laid off. Too much car too much payment too much to chew. A clean Car Fax is a good thing. A reputable selling dealer provides some margin for comfort. Car is in warranty so find the nearest Chevrolet dealer to make sure they/you are comfortable them working on the car. And enjoy.
Thanks for your reply. This car is in sunny Southern California. In my limited experience clean, nicely equipped, Corvettes seem to sell fast in this state. I agree that dealing with a reputable dealership and the car still being on factory warranty provides some level of comfort. It's a mental block I'm having because if the story was the previous owner traded it in for a new Luxury Acura, then I would feel more comfortable.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:26 PM
WTFvette
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I wouldn't be concerned as long as you check it out thourghly and have a Chevy dealer run a check on it as well for maintenance/service history and tune. I wouldn't necessarily put much faith in a CarFax report alone.
No tune is important....
c6nomad (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 07:45 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

The most serious thing that could go wrong with that deal is that there could be a non-factory tune, either currently or at some point in its history. If the car has ever had a non-factory tune and the engine fails, GM will find the non-factory tune and deny warranty coverage (and will put a warranty block on the drive train).

To verify that the car has never had a non-factory tune, you must take it to a Chevy dealer and have them do the following:
Dealer can get the complete history of all the GM Approved Calibrations and CVNs (Calibration Verification Numbers) from the TIS2WEB site using the VIN and choosing the ECM.

Compare each: Calibration ID Part Number and Verification No. (Number/CVN) from your Tech 2® to the corresponding Calibration ID Part Number and Verification No. (Number/CVN) listed in the TIS2WEB GM Vehicle Calibration Information screen of TIS2WEB to ensure that they are ALL an EXACT MATCH.

If ANY of the Calibration ID Part Number and Verification No. (Number/CVN) when compared to the Calibration ID Part Number and Verification No. (Number/CVN) listed in the TIS2WEB GM Vehicle Calibration Information screen, DO NOT MATCH, then non-GM calibrations may be present.
This situation has already been documented on the forum. Fortunately for the "victim", the used car dealer (CARMAX) stepped up (if I recall correctly, they gave a full refund).
The following 8 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
AORoads (01-22-2018), Bassassin (01-22-2018), Foosh (01-22-2018), NSC5 (01-22-2018), ONEOF137 (01-21-2018), owc6 (01-21-2018), Strake (01-22-2018), vbdenny (01-21-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-22-2018, 01:14 AM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

The 'vette is a specialty car with a relatively small customer base due to the cost and small number built (between 2014-17 there were FIVE TIMES more Mustangs and Camaros built than 'vettes), so if the dealer has to pay the finance company flooring on a high dollar car in a limited desirability location, taking it to auction lets him unload it.
How the car got there could be via a divorce, an "unapproved by SWMBO" purchase, or someone who couldn't make the strokes, and had to trade into something more "reasonable"...
Old 01-22-2018, 01:25 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy

I'm quoting the above post in the hopes that the OP will read it carefully, and listen to the expert advice above. Anyone interested in a pre-owned C7 should do the same.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:20 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

Don’t place too much confidence in Carfax. Many dealers do not report to it. My C6 has been mostly dealer maintained since new and none of the work shows up on Carfax.

My last Ford pick up was t boned had the entire bed replaced and frame work done. Carfax had it listed as one owner no accident.

Depending on how much the purchase price is might want to compare to new. I am finding in many cases you can buy new from a large forum dealer for little more than used are going for.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:17 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Besides the worth IMO of doing/getting a CarFax, AutoCheck, and VIS report only given (free) at any GM dealer by using the VIN, and a thorough check on a lift by someone who knows Stingrays---at your expense---Post #11 is very important.

If you fail to do it and something has been changed with the tune, you may be in for a "denial of warranty claim" at some time in the future.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:22 AM
ONEOF137
Heel & Toe

What would be the best way of getting this Acura dealer to take the car to the local Chevrolet dealer to check that the tune is stock? My hunch is that the selling dealer would not want to take the time/expense to do this. I totally understand what you guys are saying, but if the car is completely original (no mods/aftermarket parts, tint, wheels, etc) would this really be necessary?
Old 01-22-2018, 08:57 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

^^^
Ask the dealer and get a reaction. For that amount of money they may well bring it to the Chevy dealer.

Hmm, I would be cautious! The Acura Dealer bought it at auction because he could make a good profit! It was wholesaled for a reason! There are some legitimate reasons but some NOT so great! Some dealers will put a perfect car taken in on trade in their own used car lot. Especially in CA where Vettes sell well. Others that have been in an accident, a flood, significant warranty issue etc and they will wholesale. The dealer who sent it to auction may not want any flack from one of THEIR good customers if something goes wrong!

When I sold my 2014 C7 Z51, which was in great condition, I removed the low restriction air cleaner and catch can (because I wanted to install both on my Grand Sport and some folks don't want to see mods!) Definitely have it checked for having a "tune" as if it did you will not have the warranty you think you do when the Chevy dealer and GM finds it. The fact that is was done and even if reversed is detectable.

Especially in CA, was an aftermarket crossover installed that eliminates the secondary CATS? Not easy to see but when you go for State inspection they might look carefully!

Funny Story: My old boss bought a new Mercedes out of state. Had it in the local dealership for service and there was a hale storm as it sat outside. They repaired it in their body shop. When he tried to trade it in sometime after on a new Mercedes, they would not accept it because some of the damage, although small, was visible! He bought a Cadillac! That dealer probably sent it to auction!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-22-2018 at 01:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What could go wrong with this deal?

Old 01-22-2018, 08:57 AM
396tears
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

run
Old 01-22-2018, 09:19 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Could be a GM buy back, if you had a good contact with a DMV person or law inforcement person they could run VIN number and see who it was registered to and then try tracking them down for car's history. This would take some Colombo work, LOL. Like someone earlier said you may be able to get into a new base stingray for cheap at one of the big dealers. I would be Leary of auction, U don't know what U don't know, JMO. Good luck
Old 01-22-2018, 10:54 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEOF137
What would be the best way of getting this Acura dealer to take the car to the local Chevrolet dealer to check that the tune is stock? My hunch is that the selling dealer would not want to take the time/expense to do this. I totally understand what you guys are saying, but if the car is completely original (no mods/aftermarket parts, tint, wheels, etc) would this really be necessary?
You call the Chevy dealer and make an appointment for them to do this, telling them that you will be paying. You then call the salesperson and ask him to take the car in for you.

If he/she wants a sale, they will do it. It's literally that simple.

Is it necessary? How much is the car going to cost? Is it worth $100 to make sure that the engine warranty is not void? Is it worth $100 (that same hundred, BTW) to make sure that the car doesn't have some undisclosed damage?

Last edited by yeller z06; 01-22-2018 at 10:54 AM.
JerryU (01-22-2018)

Quick Reply: What could go wrong with this deal?