Sponsored by:

NCM insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 12:52 PM
segen77
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default NCM insurance question

So, I called to get a quote. I typically only drive on weekends, or a good bit in summer months. I think I can meet the mileage requirements, but they mentioned that the insurance isn't intended if you're using the vehicle for errands. Going to get groceries for example. They said that it's more for pleasure drives, car meets, things like that.

Does anyone have NCM insurance and still do normal daily activities with it, or do you only do car meets, parades, and the occasional drive around town?

Popular Reply

01-30-2018, 11:33 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Good morning! I need to address some very very incorrect information. See my comments below. I confirmed all with the head of claims from our carrier.

Originally Posted by Flame Red
It does NOT cover errands. What is an errand?
An errand would be something like leaving your house with the sole intent to go to the mall, home depot, grocery store, Dr's appointment, golf course, etc.

If you go to a car show, club event, etc, you are covered.
Correct...

If you are going to a car show, and stop for lunch or Ice Cream - that part of the trip is considered and errand and you are NOT covered.
INCORRECT! This is 100% covered.

You are expected to take your collector car directly from home to the event and if you want to make a stop for anything not directly car show / event related, you gots to go home and get your daily driver.
This is also incorrect. This used to be the case for some competitors, but with American Modern this is not the case. It would be unrealistic for the carrier to expect you to run home to get your daily use vehicle to run back out to grab a gallon of milk.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:11 PM
opusswa
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I opted out because of the same conversation just a few days ago. Sounded great until I spoke with them its more back and forth to rallies and car show insurance. Good chance they could deny coverage. The Rep I talked to said I prolly use mine too much like a DD and should stay with regular insurance.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:32 PM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

With NCM's policy You really are not supposed to drive it on "daily errands" like going to a doctor, food shopping, Lowes/Home Depot, etc.
Going out to dinner, Cars & Coffee, club meets, pleasure trip ( I took mine round trip from Savannah to Bowling Green with a stopover in Nashville) etc. are OK.
No track coverage at all either.
They are really concerned about the Comp /Collision exposure
The following 2 users liked this post by mtaxman:
Adam Boca (01-30-2018), ZERRY 316 (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 01:39 PM
Dado5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

In case of an accident how will you prove you didn’t do errands? Your word against theirs? NCM wins.
I drive my car only on the weeknds and mostly to the shows and back. Would never conside NCM…
Old 01-29-2018, 01:43 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thanks for the opportunity! We really appreciate it! Great speaking with you as well.

We understand that our policies are not meant for everyone. That is why we partnered with Van Meter Insurance, ncmchoice.com or at 800.264.4075. They can insure vehicles used outside of the parameters of our policy.

Thanks!

Adam Boca
The following 4 users liked this post by Adam Boca:
John Micheal Henry (01-29-2018), Mike Mercury (01-30-2018), Yaupon (01-30-2018), ZERRY 316 (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 01:50 PM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by opusswa
I opted out because of the same conversation just a few days ago. Sounded great until I spoke with them its more back and forth to rallies and car show insurance. Good chance they could deny coverage. The Rep I talked to said I prolly use mine too much like a DD and should stay with regular insurance.
" prolly "?
Old 01-29-2018, 01:57 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I used to have American Home, which is the underwriter for this collector car insurance. It is offered by a number of different agents. It does NOT cover errands. What is an errand? If you go to a car show, club event, etc, you are covered. If you are going to a car show, and stop for lunch or Ice Cream - that part of the trip is considered and errand and you are NOT covered. You are expected to take your collector car directly from home to the event and if you want to make a stop for anything not directly car show / event related, you gots to go home and get your daily driver.

That being said, I understand Grundy now offers a rider to their collector car policies that cover errands like lunch, ice cream runs, etc for extra premium. I'm looking into that.

The best coverage I ever had was from Sneed Insurance in Tenn. Years ago, it offered any pleasure use for your insured collector car, with UNLIMITED mileage. Now I think they have mileage limits. But the car MUST be 10 year old at least.

Last edited by Flame Red; 01-29-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:41 PM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

The NCM has mileage limits that you buy: 3k, 6k, ect.. Whatever mileage you buy into, the mileage you don't use is rolled into your next policy..
Old 01-30-2018, 09:46 AM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

To be honest, I can't even see myself in a Corvette doing daily driver stuff...so I knew what I was getting into when going with NCM. Their coverage is perfect for what I use it for, but that's my situation and I can't speak for others.

I can't wait until spring rolls around so I can go back to my weekend breakfast trips again
Old 01-30-2018, 11:30 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Judgment Day
To be honest, I can't even see myself in a Corvette doing daily driver stuff...so I knew what I was getting into when going with NCM. Their coverage is perfect for what I use it for, but that's my situation and I can't speak for others.

I can't wait until spring rolls around so I can go back to my weekend breakfast trips again
​​​​​​Are you confident your breakfast trips are covered?
Old 01-30-2018, 11:33 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Good morning! I need to address some very very incorrect information. See my comments below. I confirmed all with the head of claims from our carrier.

It does NOT cover errands. What is an errand?
An errand would be something like leaving your house with the sole intent to go to the mall, home depot, grocery store, Dr's appointment, golf course, etc.

If you go to a car show, club event, etc, you are covered.
Correct...

If you are going to a car show, and stop for lunch or Ice Cream - that part of the trip is considered and errand and you are NOT covered.
INCORRECT! This is 100% covered.

You are expected to take your collector car directly from home to the event and if you want to make a stop for anything not directly car show / event related, you gots to go home and get your daily driver.
This is also incorrect. This used to be the case for some competitors, but with American Modern this is not the case. It would be unrealistic for the carrier to expect you to run home to get your daily use vehicle to run back out to grab a gallon of milk.

Last edited by Adam Boca; 01-30-2018 at 12:02 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Adam Boca:
AeroJim (03-25-2021), Cirrus8 (03-26-2018), daleong (01-30-2018), Mike Mercury (01-31-2018), tail_lights (01-30-2018), Yaupon (01-30-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-30-2018, 11:34 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Judgment Day

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
​​​​​​Are you confident your breakfast trips are covered?
He should be, because it is covered.
The following users liked this post:
Judgment Day (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 11:41 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Adam Boca
He should be, because it is covered.
This is not considered an errand? I guess I'm confused about what is termed an "errand".
Old 01-30-2018, 11:54 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
This is not considered an errand? I guess I'm confused about what is termed an "errand".
No not at all. Most likely he would be parking in a situation where he has a visual on the car. If something was to happen he can react quickly.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:02 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

It's really quite simple guys. The NCM Insurance is designed for you not to use your car as a "daily driver". But to go to Corvette Club events, or shows or a cruise it should be no problem. They depend on the Corvette owners honesty.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:17 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,096 Likes on 1,732 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
It's really quite simple guys. The NCM Insurance is designed for you not to use your car as a "daily driver". But to go to Corvette Club events, or shows or a cruise it should be no problem. They depend on the Corvette owners honesty.
That's why I will stay with my regular insurance company which is only a little over $700 a year anyways.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:10 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I have a dd for errands and parking next to other cars. My C7 is strictly for pleasure rides that involve no parking and an occasional trip out for dinner to a nice restaurant provided it has a big parking lot. That is why I have NCM insurance.
The following 3 users liked this post by Corgidog1:
Adam Boca (01-30-2018), Kevin A Jones (02-05-2018), Mike Campbell (01-31-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To NCM insurance question

Old 01-30-2018, 01:32 PM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I have a dd for errands and parking next to other cars. My C7 is strictly for pleasure rides that involve no parking and an occasional trip out for dinner to a nice restaurant provided it has a big parking lot. That is why I have NCM insurance.
^^^^Agreed.. The NCM also has various mileage limits.. This insurance works for me. My Corvette is not a DD..
Adam Boca (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 01:49 PM
MHE-Plex
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 137 Likes on 115 Posts

I’m in my 1st year with NCM. It has worked for me so far because I never want to step away from my C7 for any reason. If the gas pump fails to print a receipt, I’ll take a photo of the screen because I’m not goin inside to get a printout. I don’t even like stepping away to go inside anywhere for a restroom break unless I have a passenger outside with the car - but I admit I’ve done it, and, as the NCM rep on this thread has said, that is reasonable and covered. I’ve only been on drives long enough to stop to eat twice and those were at locations planned in advance with huge parking lots and you know I sat by a window to admire the C7 from afar (when I wasn’t looking deeply into my wife’s eyes of course while concentrating intently on everything she was saying). My use is fun driving while listening to music as the world melts away behind me. Obviously this type of use isn’t what everyone wants but for those who do, NCM is a way to save $ on something I absolutely positively never want to use anyway - car insurance on a claim.
Adam Boca (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 01:58 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Boca
No not at all. Most likely he would be parking in a situation where he has a visual on the car. If something was to happen he can react quickly.
The problem here, Adam, is that we are even having this discussion and arguing over what is covered and what is not. Your statement above is a good example. Why do I even have to consider something like that? The definitions are way too hazy and when push comes to shove we know that insurance companies rely heavily on exact definitions and will interpret in their favor, not ours. I can go to an ice cream shop, but I can't go to Home Depot? What if I buy a hot dog at Home Depot? It gets confusing fast. Insurance is to eliminate uncertainty, not cause it. When "my intention" becomes a determining factor in whether or not I'm covered, that is just a bucket of worms. Your insurance is best for Garage Queens, not for people who actually use their corvettes.

Quick Reply: NCM insurance question