Sponsored by:

Transparent Top Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 02:42 PM
CaptainMorganUOR
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Transparent Top Opinions

I'm just a couple months out from making my final decisions and debating the transparent top. In theory it sounds cool to see the open sky above, but what are your opinions from those who've had it? Also, how's the noise vs the regular top? Any real reason to get both?

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2018, 03:18 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Here are my thoughts, I had a transparent roof on my C5 and on my C6, but to save money I decided not to order it on my C7. I really thought I might feel a bit closed in having the solid roof but I honestly haven't felt that way at all! And the more I look at pictures of Torch Red cars with the transparent roof vs the painted roof the more I personally prefer the look of the painted one. It doesn't get super hot here in the summer (typical daytime high is 75-80) so I didn't have a problem with heat, but I do know people that live in very hot climates have always felt the transparent roof was not good under those conditions as it would heat up the interior a lot more when parked with all the windows closed.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:24 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I love the transparent roof!!!

Living in FL it's never been too hot - even in mid-summer. I have a sunscreen for it, but have never even used it.

It's the top I've used much more than the body color one for the almost 2 years I've had the car.

And, when driving at the track, without the headliner the transparent roof gives me a couple additional inches of clearance for my helmet.

And I think it looks great on my Laguna Blue. I did get the side trim strips for it that make it look like a carbon fiber roof with the body color sides.

Last edited by BEZ06; 01-29-2018 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 01-29-2018, 03:29 PM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 715 Likes on 483 Posts

I had both tops on my C6 and the clear one was on the car after 3 months of ownership and the solid never went back on in 2+ years.

When I traded for the C7, I bought a clear top from a forum member before I even took delivery, and it's been on the car since just after the first week which was mid-November. Love it.

No complaints about heat, as the A/C cools quickly enough, and as for noise, it's minimal at best, although rain (which the car infrequently experiences) is somewhat noisy.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:34 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

When I bought my C-5 it came with just the transparent top. Having had previous experience with a T-topped Trans Am I immediately started looking for a solid top, found one locally after posting a request here on line, even in matching Electron blue. In relatively warm conditions I liked the more open feeling of the clear top, however when it got hot the solid went on. After seasons of switching I finally just left the solid top on. My C-7 has the exposed carbon fiber top, and I have no plans to add a transparent top. On a side note I have never driven either with the top removed.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:41 PM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Have both. Have had the transparent on since around September. Not sure it is ever coming off.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:12 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

I think its highly dependent on the climate you are in.

The transparent top is amazing for rain, cloudy, and sun below about 80 degrees. Above that I start to feel it and go to my solid top.

In California its been roughly September - May for my Transparent, and June - August I leave my solid top on.

If you had to do just one, I'd get the solid and buy a transparent later if you change you mind.
The following users liked this post:
Tsharpe27 (07-15-2020)
Old 01-29-2018, 04:30 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

I have the transparent top and it's great. I think its the only way to go, as it makes the cabin bright and feels more open compared to the solid roof. I also like how it breaks up the look of the car. I did not notice any noise difference between the two.

I would recommend that you sit in a car with the transparent roof and one without the transparent roof and make you decision based on which one you like better. If you do get the transparent top and later find that you really don't like it, you can get it wrapped the same color as your car.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:43 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

When I had my C5 it only had solid top and always want transparent to but never got one. When I ordered my 17 GS I made sure I got both tops ( paint & trans ). As stated above I also love the look of painted top on car, but I love the bright/ open feel of the transparent top in cabin with transparent top on car. When the top is on car it's mostly transparent top. Last my thought was I will order both and if I didn't like transparent top I could always sell and get some if not all of my money back for a OEM top.

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 01-29-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:49 PM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts

I have both, and use both for different times of the year. I use the solid top for the temperature/solar heat load extremes, and the transparent top is for the rest of the time.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:58 PM
Blackbird13
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Range_Rat
I have both, and use both for different times of the year. I use the solid top for the temperature/solar heat load extremes, and the transparent top is for the rest of the time.
I did the same with my C6. Basically, I used the solid top in the summer and the transparent in the winter, but not exclusively!
Old 01-29-2018, 05:18 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 322 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Transparent in the cool months. Solid the rest of the time. Also, if the Highway Patrol is using VASCAR to time your speed the transparent top let’s you scan for an airplane.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:21 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06

And I think it looks great on my Laguna Blue. I did get the side trim strips for it that make it look like a carbon fiber roof with the body color sides.

Where did you get the side trim strips? Did you just have a body shop paint the top or are those some kind of stick on?
Old 01-29-2018, 06:50 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftly
Where did you get the side trim strips? Did you just have a body shop paint the top or are those some kind of stick on?
Those are stick on trim strips. I got them from Vetteskins - take a look at their website for info.

I was afraid they'd look kinda hokey, but I think they were $150 and I ordered them to give them a try - and after almost 2 years they look great and I just never notice how they're on there and just accept them as part of the car.

The carbon fiber roof has the sides painted body color, and the paint goes a little farther in than the trim strips do, but I like them very much.

When you look at them you can see they are a piece that is stuck on there. However, I can't tell you how many people standing 3 feet from the car ask "did that top come painted like that, or did you paint those edges?". I have to take them over and show them and let them feel that they are raised up slightly.

I've also been asked "yeah, but how well will they stay stuck on there at highway speed?". Well....they've been up to 175-185 mph dozens of times and they're still just like when I originally stuck them on there.

Before installing the Vetteskins Roof Rail strips:

After installing the Vetteskins Roof Rails:

Last edited by BEZ06; 01-29-2018 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Added pictures
The following users liked this post:
blkvet6 (01-30-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 06:53 PM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 715 Likes on 483 Posts

Those are stick on trim strips. I got them from Vetteskins - take a look at their website for info.

I was afraid they'd look kinda hokey, but I think they were $150 and I ordered them to give them a try - and after almost 2 years they look great and I just never notice how they're on there and just accept them as part of the car.

The carbon fiber roof has the sides painted body color, and the paint goes a little farther in than the trim strips do, but I like them very much.

When you look at them you can see they are a piece that is stuck on there. However, I can't tell you how many people standing 3 feet from the car ask "did that top come like that, or did you paint those edges?". I have to take them over and show them and let them feel that they are raised up slightly.

I've also been asked "yeah, but how well will they stay stuck on there at highway speed?". Well....they've been up to 175-185 mph dozens of times and they're still just like when I originally stuck them on there.

Thanks for this. I'm considering ordering those myself. They definitely give a more finished look.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:07 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

Love the transparent top. My C6Z made me feel almost claustrophobic inside. The transparent top really opens the interior up.

I agree with the suggestion to go sit in cars with and without the transparent top to experience it for yourself.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:20 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

You’ll get those who love the transparent top and those who don’t. I’m in the latter camp, however, still elected the dual roof option. I found that the cabin was warmer and obviously brighter with it installed, and I didn’t like blue tint... would’ve preferred a darker/smoke tint. I never noticed if it was louder than the CF roof. I ultimately sold it.

Get notified of new replies

To Transparent Top Opinions

Old 01-29-2018, 07:55 PM
CaptainMorganUOR
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks guys. Great info from all. I will likely spring the small extra difference for both since it will be my first and figure out what I like best.

I love the body color trim idea for the sides of the transparent
Old 01-29-2018, 08:00 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

When you look at them you can see they are a piece that is stuck on there. However, I can't tell you how many people standing 3 feet from the car ask "did that top come painted like that, or did you paint those edges?". I have to take them over and show them and let them feel that they are raised up slightly.

I had them painted but also painted the front "rails" too:

Then I got a carbon fiber sticker to replace my carbon flash stinger stripe and also blacked out the body color on the top from vettestripes:

Old 01-29-2018, 08:07 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

Is the transparent top glass or plexi, and is it much noisier?

Quick Reply: Transparent Top Opinions