Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are we to request or use the new oil??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 03:42 AM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Default Are we to request or use the new oil??

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I'm just curious if guys with 2014's - 2018's are supposed to make this switch in oil as well?

Any info would be great. Thanks!

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018/...-40-motor-oil/
Old 01-30-2018, 05:36 AM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-fill-0w40.htm
Old 01-30-2018, 06:41 AM
laserdude2215
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 273 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...fill-0w40.html
Old 01-30-2018, 07:02 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

My 14 has been getting Mobil 1 since new.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:50 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by SRQStingray
My 14 has been getting Mobil 1 since new.
I think the OP is referring to the new Mobil 1 0w40 that is the factory fill on the 2019s and is backwards compatible for 2014 to 2018s also.
The following users liked this post:
shakinrock (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 08:05 AM
shakinrock
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm guessing that oil technology has changed over the past 30 years, full synthetic may be different, and I am by no means an expert on this topic, so don't shot me, but...

I remember being warned years ago by knowledgeable people to avoid oil where the lower number (0 in this case) is a lot different from the higher number (40 in this case). Reason being (from what I was told and remember) is that there is an excessive amount of additives in this kind of oil to behave across such wide of a range, 0 to 40. Wish I could word it better.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:24 AM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

I have my oil changed at the dealership. I'm going to wait until the dust settles before I request the new oil. I don't track the car and am in no hurry to make the change.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:59 AM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by shakinrock
I'm guessing that oil technology has changed over the past 30 years, full synthetic may be different, and I am by no means an expert on this topic, so don't shot me, but...

I remember being warned years ago by knowledgeable people to avoid oil where the lower number (0 in this case) is a lot different from the higher number (40 in this case). Reason being (from what I was told and remember) is that there is an excessive amount of additives in this kind of oil to behave across such wide of a range, 0 to 40. Wish I could word it better.
That used to be the case, because with older conventional oil technology if you had a larger spread between the two numbers (such as a 10w40 back then compared to a 10w30), that meant the oil needed a lot of viscosity index improvers to make that happen, and those would break down and cause the oil to thin out rapidly, also leaving behind a lot of deposits in the process. These days with modern synthetics, a lot of the superior cold weather flow ability of the oil can come from the base stock, so not as much VI improver is needed at all. I've been running the latest European Formula 0w40 FS Mobil 1 in my wife's BMW and it holds it's viscosity very well (as proven by the oil analysis results I get done at the end of the oil change interval) So I expect M1's new 0w40 ESP Formula to also hold it's viscosity very well too, and will also use very low amounts of VI improver.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:11 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

No issue for me I bring in for oil change (Van Bortel) and drive away. Whatever they use at the time old or new really is not going to make a bit of difference.
The following 2 users liked this post by dvilin:
evoroadster (01-30-2018), Rebel Yell (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 09:25 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
Sorry if this has already been covered, but I'm just curious if guys with 2014's - 2018's are supposed to make this switch in oil as well?

You'll be lucky if they don't just pump from the 55 gallon drum of dexos certified oil blend the service manager bought for a low cost from whoever paid GM the tribute and met their spec! 99.9% of the cars/trucks they service only need that AND the Owner's Manual says it will be OK for a C7!
Originally Posted by shakinrock

First, you're right Mobil 1 and all other "true synthetics" changed around 2000 when Mobil lost the suit to Castrol who started labeling a more highly refined "dino oil" as synthetic!

I have been using the "original" Mobil 1 "made from synthetic molecules" since 1974 when it was recommended to solve a unique acceleration problem in my 260Z by the Datsun area service manager! Paid a lot more than today's Mobil 1 and found it also solved a high oil temp (>300 F) problem in my modified Corvair as well.

This is a great article on the subject published some time ago in Car & Driver: https://www.caranddriver.com/columns...mantics-column Great aritcle, fun read. The author equates the current word "synthetic" to the Bill Clinton famous statement in the Lewinski tryst, "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

Mobil and others were required to employ the same simple process Castrol used as it cost half as much, according to the author! In fact the price came down significantly after that time. I'm now paying ~$2/quart after the twice a year Mobil rebate for dexos certified 5-30 Mobil 1. Will change to the new 0W-40 when it is at Walmart in 5 quart jugs at the same price! Will continue with what it says in my Grand Sport Owner's Manual, 5w-30 Mobil 1 until it does!

As far as 0 weight oil, it does NOT have to contain "bad additives," assume folks were referring to the "viscosity improvers" that it must have to keep the oil at the higher viscosity when temps rise (40W in the case of the "new Vette oil.") They can change over time. Recall when we sponsored the Richard Petty team they were using an oil that was labeled 00 or some such designation, to gain HP. I recall asking the crew chief at the time, Dale Inman, who I mostly interfaced with, if that was sufficient to protect the engine. Recall he said, "Sure for the 500 miles we need!" Note, NASCAR and other racing engines seldom need to start in comparison to the time the run! Rod and crack bearings are operating on a very high pressure hydrodynamic oil film when the engine is running!

Assume Mobil and GM have thoroughly tested this new oil!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-30-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:26 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018/...-40-motor-oil/
When you look up this new ESP oil, it is focused on including Diesel engines in addition to gasoline, and is focused on reducing emissions. Doesn't excite me enough to eagerly await its introduction and to switch from the tried and true Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Performance, Dexos 1 that I have been using for years.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp

Last edited by Frosty; 01-30-2018 at 09:29 AM.
kenownr (01-31-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 10:19 AM
Patman
Race Director

For those that want to stick with 5w30, Mobil 1's best oil in that viscosity is their new Annual Protection formula. It has a higher amount of "true synthetic" base stock in it (PAOs) compared to the regular formula and the Extended Performance formula. But M1 5w30 EP is a good middle ground formula too, it's usually only about $3 more per 5 quart jug compared to the regular formula 5w30. I doubt any dealer would have the EP or AP formula though, they would all just have the most basic M1 5w30 formula.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:37 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

All this about 0w40 is just distracting noise for most of us. I have no reason to switch from 5w30 for street, and engine will likely last longer than I will. I have never had an oil related engine failure, and Valvoline even still guarantees their oil for 300,000 miles against failure.
The following 3 users liked this post by TEXHAWK0:
Bavaria (01-30-2018), joemessman (01-30-2018), kenownr (01-31-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 10:56 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Patman
For those that want to stick with 5w30, Mobil 1's best oil in that viscosity is their new Annual Protection formula. It has a higher amount of "true synthetic" base stock in it (PAOs) compared to the regular formula and the Extended Performance formula. But M1 5w30 EP is a good middle ground formula too, it's usually only about $3 more per 5 quart jug compared to the regular formula 5w30. I doubt any dealer would have the EP or AP formula though, they would all just have the most basic M1 5w30 formula.
Thanks. Just checked and in the "States," currently all Mobil 1 5w-30, including EP is $25.47 in 5 quart jugs at Walmart. Quarts are always significantly higher! When Mobil has their twice a year rebate you get $12/jug, 2 allowed so $24. About $2/quart final price. No longer have to mail in receipts and some other item (like the aluminum seal) as they tried in the past! All done on their website, just scan the receipt and attach!

Rebates!
Have an interesting story about rebates that makes my always use them as a matter of principle!

Worked for a large multinational and one Division sold Prestone antifreeze. Picked up some interesting info about rebates. I recall one year they thought they were very cleaver and had a very high percentage rebate on a gallon of antifreeze! However in addition to requiring the original receipt to be mailed to in, this particular year instead on the aluminum seal, they required the bar code from the container! That meant it had to be emptied and you had to cut it out of the gallon jug! Ridiculous.

I went to where they were located in the new 3 story headquarters building that was spread out like an octopus with everyone having a window and you parked on the floor you worked on- also ridiculously expensive!

I told the marketing manger, who I knew from prior discussions, that this was ludicrous! He laughed and said if everyone used the rebate, considering the wholesale price for the product, they would loose money! From that day on always used rebates! They did not repeat that foolish approach, i'm sure it made customers mad!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-30-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:28 PM
Patman
Race Director

Unfortunately as a resident of Canada, I can never take advantage of those mail in rebates, even though I almost always buy my Mobil 1 in the US (I go to a Walmart just across the border in Niagara Falls, NY, it's only about an hour's drive for me) But even without the rebate, the M1 deals at Walmart are a lot better than the ones up here. Our jugs of M1 are a smaller 4.4L size and when on sale they are usually $32 CDN ($26 US roughly) but I have been getting my M1 5 quart jugs for just under $23 US for the most part.

I'm still interested in seeing where the new 0w40 will be priced at when it arrives on the shelves of Walmart. I suspect we won't see it for $23 a jug, I think it'll be priced closer to $30 a jug like the EP line is usually priced at. Or since this oil will be catering to the Corvette crowd, they might just add the "Corvette tax" and price this oil even higher. Time will tell.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:35 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
All this about 0w40 is just distracting noise for most of us.
And a huge help for others.

I changed my oil 4 times last year. And I only have 2900 miles on my Grand Sport. Why? It's so I would have the right 15W50 in it for track days. I was going to only change it once for the summer (the B Dearborn way) but had a surprise track day invite late in the season and had to empty out 5W30 oil with less than 100 miles on it.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:00 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Patman
Unfortunately as a resident of Canada, I can never take advantage of those mail in rebates, even though I almost always buy my Mobil 1 in the US (I go to a Walmart just across the border in Niagara Falls, NY, it's only about an hour's drive for me) But even without the rebate, the M1 deals at Walmart are a lot better than the ones up here. Our jugs of M1 are a smaller 4.4L size and when on sale they are usually $32 CDN ($26 US roughly) but I have been getting my M1 5 quart jugs for just under $23 US for the most part.

I'm still interested in seeing where the new 0w40 will be priced at when it arrives on the shelves of Walmart. I suspect we won't see it for $23 a jug, I think it'll be priced closer to $30 a jug like the EP line is usually priced at. Or since this oil will be catering to the Corvette crowd, they might just add the "Corvette tax" and price this oil even higher. Time will tell.
Understand. Waiting to see as well. Expect initially it will be more since Mobil will want a higher margin!

Buying from US
Spent a lot of time in my early career supporting our company in Canada helping manufacturers of large diameter (>500 mm) oil and gas transmission pipe (mostly steel mills when we had them!) When we became a separate smaller company we sent a financial person from the US to be the CFO of the Canadian company. She did a great job coming up with a creative way to handle accounting internally so we could justify selling at lower margins to get volume increases, which we did. Rather than reduce a work shift on our most popular product when sales declined, we used what I called, "share the pain" pricing with our Canadian President and he would institute a very aggressive promotion at low prices and increase their market share significantly! We split the margin 50/50 from their selling price and our variable product cost (not fully burned cost.)

I recall she and her family would drive from their Toronto home, shop in Niagara Falls for cloths and leave the cloths they were wearing in cloths donation bins to avoid Canadian tax!

If I recall correctly, 90% of the Canadian population lived within ~50 miles of the US boarder at the time!

Get notified of new replies

To Are we to request or use the new oil??

Old 01-30-2018, 03:15 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by JerryU

I recall she and her family would drive from their Toronto home, shop in Niagara Falls for cloths and leave the cloths they were wearing in cloths donation bins to avoid Canadian tax!
LOL!

I'm always honest at the border with how much I have spent and even if I just pop over for a couple of hours and spend $100, I'm technically supposed to pay duty but they never make me do it. I think it's because they are more concerned with people buying tobacco and alcohol products, so when I say I just have $100 worth of stuff from Walmart they just wave me on through
JerryU (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 04:02 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

At a presentation by Mobil in the Corvette Corral Hospitality Tent at the Rolex 24 over the weekend, they said that the new 0W-40 will be the factory fill in the 2019 Vettes. Unlike the previous Mobil 1 Euro 0W-40, the new stuff meets Dexos specs. They had a couple dozen caps with 0W-40 on them available for us, and I was able to snag one.

They also said that it will be available at dealerships Feb 1st, and available in retail stores in about 6 months.

It will be good for the street and track, so no swapping back-n-forth will be needed.

At another briefing by Harlan Charles said the same things, and he also said that the factory fill brake fluid will be DOT 4.

Last edited by BEZ06; 01-30-2018 at 04:11 PM.
L82Brake (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 05:31 PM
Patman
Race Director

I sent an email to Mobil asking them if they have any more of the 0w40 oil filler caps to give away but the person who answered the email knew nothing about it, so it must be a separate group at Mobil 1 who had them. I'm going to Bloomington Gold in Indy this June so maybe Mobil will have another booth set up and will be giving them away (actually I don't even mind paying for one if any vendor has them there)

Quick Reply: Are we to request or use the new oil??