C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base Stingray or Grand Sport as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 11:37 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Graynoise90
I want to buy a brand new c7 sometime this year, most likely going to wait for the 2019s but I’m torn between the base stingray or the grand sport, I’m very well aware of the differences between the two but my big question is on the daily driving. Which will be best for? I know the grand sport will be more costly due to the tires but any other factors that I should know? It will be my main transportation, so I will drive it daily and take it on long trips as well. I want to hear your thoughts on this. Thank you!
Base. There's no reason you've identified as to why a GS would be the better choice as a DD and a long trip driver.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:40 AM
IRMB
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RX82Z06
I owned a 2016 Stingray, and now a 2017 GS.
They are very different. Here’s my 2 cents:

Unless you live in say Arizona, the GS tires are not suited for year-round daily driving in my opinion. They are treacherous in cold and/or wet conditions. In dry warm weather, the GS has ‘stupid’ grip compared to the Stingray. I have a C6 fully race-prepped track car and the GS grip and responsiveness is on par with it. So, you would be wise to have a set of wheels/tires that are not ‘extreme performance summer tires’ if you want the GS as a year-round daily driver.

The stock brake pads on the GS are dust machines. The very first thing you will want to do is swap them with another low-dusting pad (lots of info posted on this, and not expensive). You won’t notice any appreciable decrease in brake performance on the street doing this as the GS calipers are way overkill for the street.

Another consideration is the number of owners reporting wheel damage on the GS. It’s just not a sturdy wheel, and it is somewhere around $500-$600 from GM.

The Stingray on the other hand is fairly well-suited as a year-round daily driver stock. Sure it doesn’t have the aggressive wide-body stance of the GS, but it still looks awesome.
Hey, brand new to this forum and havent ordered my GS yet. If you can link me to the wheel and brake pad issue -that would b awesome. I am searching, but not seeing. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2018, 12:03 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by pika
wrong, the base stingray and the Z51 have the same wheels and tires I believe (also someone correct me if I am wrong!) but the GS is wider
Yep - the GS’ front tires are as wide as the rear tires on the regular Stingray. The rears are massive 335s.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:43 PM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by pika
wrong, the base stingray and the Z51 have the same wheels and tires I believe (also someone correct me if I am wrong!) but the GS is wider
All 3 have different size wheels: Base, Z51 & GS
Old 02-03-2018, 02:57 PM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

I think it will depend very much in your pocket and in which is your driving intention. Like on my case I got the Z51 because I like spirited driving and will see few times at the track. A track rat would prefer a GS or a Z06, but I was sincere with a friend of mine that just wanted the car for it's looks and I know that he is a more normal type of driver. I just told him go for the base Corvette, save some $ and enjoy your great looking Corvette. There is a Corvette for each one depending on what you are looking for. They definitely are great beautiful sport cars, to be proud of them.

Last edited by 911Hunter; 02-04-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:14 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a 17Z06 and a 14 stingray if I were to head to Florida it would be the stingray both are verts. If I headed to the the track it would be the Z06. Most of the roads I drive on are two harsh with ruts, patches ,cracks, holes, and so on. Those big miss matched tires and the mag ride, even in soft mode, do not handle as well as the standard stingray does on these roads.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:14 PM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SRQStingray
I daily drive my base 14 M7 and have nearly 50,000 miles. It’s a great daily driver particularly with the 3LT interior. Before I sold our 2006 Porsche Carerra S, I still preferred driving the Vette.
How does your Stingray compare to your prior 997 Carrera S. Both are great sport cars. I used to have a 996 Carrera.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:27 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

What I mean by handling is that the car goes where I point It for the most part and as smoothly as possible. No wash boarding or sudden jerks in order to follow the ruts in the road
Old 02-03-2018, 04:50 PM
Mehrlovin
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

They are very similar and I too just got a Corvette as my daily or near daily driver. So far its great. Only other factor is that the GS is wider and if you have a small garage or parking spot maybe thats the tie breaker. Personally I would go GS. Its only 10k extra but you get so much and if you resell it in 4-5 years you'll get at least half that back.I also had to get the hash marks.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:53 PM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Mehrlovin
They are very similar and I too just got a Corvette as my daily or near daily driver. So far its great. Only other factor is that the GS is wider and if you have a small garage or parking spot maybe thats the tie breaker. Personally I would go GS. Its only 10k extra but you get so much and if you resell it in 4-5 years you'll get at least half that back.I also had to get the hash marks.
I had the same fear of the wide body fitting in the garage but the car is the same width mirror to mirror.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:36 PM
Dave Hrejsa
Instructor

Received 198 Likes on 40 Posts

I am biased - have a Grand Sport coupe, but have been fortunate to drive 5 or so different C7's (Stingray, Grand Sport, Grand Sport convertible, Z06 and Z06 with Z07 package) before making my buying decision. I think the Grand Sport is fine as a daily driver - the different suspension settings and weather mode can make a big difference in ride quality. I live in Michigan and my biggest concern when I drive are the potholes - the low profile tires hate potholes - my buddy bent two rims on his Grand Sport due to pot holes this Summer - I think this is where the Stingray might have an advantage. Having the taller sidewall tire is more compliant, but if you aren't in pothole country, the Grand Sport would be very enjoyable as a daily driver.

Last edited by Dave Hrejsa; 02-03-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:49 AM
RX82Z06
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by IRMB
Hey, brand new to this forum and havent ordered my GS yet. If you can link me to the wheel and brake pad issue -that would b awesome. I am searching, but not seeing. Thanks!
Wheels Bending
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-bending.html

Brake Dust
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rake-dust.html
Old 02-04-2018, 08:10 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I have a 17 Z06 and a 17 Z51. For daily driving I'd stick with the base model. Those tires on a GS or Z06 aren't cheap!
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 05:32 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Buy the grand sport ....it's sexier looking and the daily driving will be excellent...
Old 02-04-2018, 05:35 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Hrejsa
I am biased - have a Grand Sport coupe, but have been fortunate to drive 5 or so different C7's (Stingray, Grand Sport, Grand Sport convertible, Z06 and Z06 with Z07 package) before making my buying decision. I think the Grand Sport is fine as a daily driver - the different suspension settings and weather mode can make a big difference in ride quality. I live in Michigan and my biggest concern when I drive are the potholes - the low profile tires hate potholes - my buddy bent two rims on his Grand Sport due to pot holes this Summer - I think this is where the Stingray might have an advantage. Having the taller sidewall tire is more compliant, but if you aren't in pothole country, the Grand Sport would be very enjoyable as a daily driver.
Good summation, but the new Stingrays are 19 and 20 inch wheels.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:50 PM
Pzilly
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Hunter
All 3 have different size wheels: Base, Z51 & GS
for 2018 the base and z51 now have the same size wheels 19/20 prior to 2018 base was 18/19.

I too was torn between the GS and the Z51, in some ways I prefer the look of the Z51 and in some I like the GS, in the end I took the Z51. Dealer actually had a black GS and a black Z51, For the extra 10k I was going to gain wider tires, MRC but was going to lose the A8 auto, my other vette were manuals so I already told myself the new A8 was so good that it wasn't worth shifting in traffic and bought this one to drive a bit more often and let others in the family drive it, plus resale numbers said go A8. The 10k wasnt really a problem, except for that 10k i could covert the rear of this car to wide body for 5K and for another 5500 I could add an A&A supercharger and i have what I have partly because I quit getting hung up on having options I never use just to say I had them.

For a DD that will never go to the track i would say go base model, and maybe spend the money saved by uping the trim level to a 2LT or 3LT since those trims offer more interior creature comforts. But I have driven both and like both, but being i am lucky enough that this is a 4th vehicle I did the Z51 1Lt, and with the 10K I saved over the GS I bought a nice 06 suburban to use between the vett on crappy days but not quite needing my ram5500 dump. So if your deal is the vett would be your only DD perhaps spend the left over 10k on a small SUV, or even an 2010 CTS 4....Just my .02
Old 05-07-2018, 01:58 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts
Default I own a ‘17 GS

i Can’t say I notice the difference in suspension/ ride since I am in Sport mode 90% of the time and use it as a weekend car.

I’m guessing the daily driver factor is if you use run flats/ZP tires; That can get expensive. If I used my Gs as a DD, I would take the dealers tire insurance for my ZPs.

At the risk of pissing off folks, I would say I wouldn’t ever go with the Stingray C7 ...I notice the difference In the performance and looks and saving that money is not warranted to me. I didn’t get the z06 but could of because I got mine with the 3LT and z07 packages.

I would get a ‘63 Split window tho, ha

Get notified of new replies

To Base Stingray or Grand Sport as a daily driver?

Old 08-06-2018, 02:25 PM
Ledeof
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, I have two questions that maybe you can help.

1. If the Base Stingray now has same 19/20 Tires/Wheels does that mean the tires are summer only? Previously in this Thread somebody mentioned the base stingray tires could be used "year round" and also had more buying options and cheaper than GS.

2. I am in between the Base Stingray and the GS too. The car is for DD and will see track once or twice a year. Is the Base still good for having fun in a track eventually? Also, is the Mag Ride a must? I mean as a daily driver 95% of time, can the Mag Ride in the Base Stingray be even softer and smoother ride?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Ledeof; 08-06-2018 at 02:35 PM. Reason: forgot the word "tires"
Old 08-06-2018, 02:33 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Ledeof

1. If the Base Stingray now has same 19/20 Tires/Wheels does that mean the tires are summer only? Previously in this Thread somebody mentioned the base stingray could be used "year round" and also had more buying options and cheaper than GS.

2. I am in between the Base Stingray and the GS too. The car is for DD and will see track once or twice a year. Is the Base still good for having fun in a track eventually? Also, is the Mag Ride a must? I mean as a daily driver 95% of time, can the Mag Ride in the Base Stingray be even softer and smoother ride?

Thanks in advance!
The "base" Stingray used to come with the 18/19 tires so it was easy to find all season tires in the OEM sizes if you want to drive your car year around. Now that it comes with the 19/20 summer tires your selection is more limited especially if you want to stay with runflats. You can have fun on the track with a "base" Stingray but I would recommend you at least order the Z51 option.
Ledeof (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 03:11 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Ledeof

1. If the Base Stingray now has same 19/20 Tires/Wheels does that mean the tires are summer only? Previously in this Thread somebody mentioned the base stingray tires could be used "year round" and also had more buying options and cheaper than GS.

Thanks in advance!
If you have any inkling of going to the track be sure to get the Z51 option on a Stingray, or buy a Grand Sport. All the cars come with summer tires. It is easier to find All season for a 18 and 19 inch setup. The Stingray switched to 19 and 20 from the 18 and 19 in 2018 I believe. But if you added the Z51 option you would get 19 and 20.
The Mag ride should seriously be considered by you. Especially if you track the car. It is not a must, but would be nice to really stiffen up that suspension in Track mode when and if you track it.

Last edited by joemessman; 08-06-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Ledeof (08-06-2018)

Quick Reply: Base Stingray or Grand Sport as a daily driver?