C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base Stingray or Grand Sport as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 03:34 PM
Graynoise90
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base Stingray or Grand Sport as a daily driver?

I want to buy a brand new c7 sometime this year, most likely going to wait for the 2019s but I’m torn between the base stingray or the grand sport, I’m very well aware of the differences between the two but my big question is on the daily driving. Which will be best for? I know the grand sport will be more costly due to the tires but any other factors that I should know? It will be my main transportation, so I will drive it daily and take it on long trips as well. I want to hear your thoughts on this. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2018, 03:40 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Get whichever one you like. There isn't enough difference in how they drive in daily use to really be any kind of a factor.

IF you live in a cold climate and plan on driving it on snow/icy roads, get the Stingray. Neither GS nor Stingray is going to be 'good' in those conditions, but wider tires on the GS are somewhat worse in snow/ice than narrower Stingray ones, and there seem to be more options for winter tires in the Stingray sizes.

Last edited by Kent1999; 02-01-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:43 PM
Graynoise90
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Get whichever one you like.

There isn't enough difference in how they drive in daily use to really be any kind of a factor.

IF you plan on driving it on snow/icy roads, get the Stingray. Wider tires are worse in snow/ice than narrower ones.

oh oh ok thanks! I just figure maybe the grand sport will be more costly for maintenance or something like that as well but not sure. Which one do you drive?
Old 02-01-2018, 03:48 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Graynoise90

oh oh ok thanks! I just figure maybe the grand sport will be more costly for maintenance or something like that as well but not sure. Which one do you drive?
The only difference in maintenance is going to be the wider/ more expensive tires, but you already know that. Everything else will be the same as a Stingray Z51.

I drive a Stingray, because I purchased used, and at the time, the price difference between my used Stingray and a brand new GS was substantial ($20,000+) and I couldn't justify it. To be clear, I'm very happy with my Stingray, but if I was buying brand new, I'm pretty sure I'd go GS if it was in my budget.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:50 PM
Graynoise90
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Kent1999
The only difference in maintenance is going to be the wider/ more expensive tires, but you already know that. Everything else will be the same as a Stingray Z51.

I drive a Stingray, because I purchased used, and at the time, the price difference between my used Stingray and a brand new GS was substantial ($20,000+) and I couldn't justify it. To be clear, I'm very happy with my Stingray, but if I was buying brand new, I'm pretty sure I'd go GS if it was in my budget.
oh ok! Thank you so much for the response!
Old 02-01-2018, 04:09 PM
teejake
Lifetime Supporting Gold
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I had a 14 Z51, was very happy with it (lost it in Hurricane Harvey), never had it on a track and honestly didn’t drive her that hard. Great car that I would not have chosen to get rid of. That said I ordered a 19GS simply because I like how the wide body looks better.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 04:13 PM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Received 842 Likes on 350 Posts

The biggest difference between the two, tire costs not withstanding, would be the suspension, especially without Magnetic Ride Control. I haven't driven them all so I can't speak from experience but the information out there states that in terms of smooth to rough it is Base+MRC > Z51+MRC > Base > Z51 > GS > Z06 (I may have gotten the base in the wrong spot but you get the idea). That being said the difference in ride quality isn't huge and would not be enough to sway me to pick one car over the other but I thought I'd mention it since you are looking for specific differences in terms of daily driving if nothing else was a concern. Do yourself a favor and go test a GS and a base with MRC and drive them over some bumps to see if you feel a difference, with both in touring.

The base car with MRC will be the better daily driver on paper but the difference is so marginal that you should just get whichever one you like better.

Oh and the GS being a little bit wider could also pose a problem if that sort of thing bugs you.

Last edited by Exia; 02-01-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:30 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

If you get the base *without* the Z51 package, you'll save a few coins on the oil change, too.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:46 PM
RX82Z06
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I owned a 2016 Stingray, and now a 2017 GS.
They are very different. Here’s my 2 cents:

Unless you live in say Arizona, the GS tires are not suited for year-round daily driving in my opinion. They are treacherous in cold and/or wet conditions. In dry warm weather, the GS has ‘stupid’ grip compared to the Stingray. I have a C6 fully race-prepped track car and the GS grip and responsiveness is on par with it. So, you would be wise to have a set of wheels/tires that are not ‘extreme performance summer tires’ if you want the GS as a year-round daily driver.

The stock brake pads on the GS are dust machines. The very first thing you will want to do is swap them with another low-dusting pad (lots of info posted on this, and not expensive). You won’t notice any appreciable decrease in brake performance on the street doing this as the GS calipers are way overkill for the street.

Another consideration is the number of owners reporting wheel damage on the GS. It’s just not a sturdy wheel, and it is somewhere around $500-$600 from GM.

The Stingray on the other hand is fairly well-suited as a year-round daily driver stock. Sure it doesn’t have the aggressive wide-body stance of the GS, but it still looks awesome.
The following 2 users liked this post by RX82Z06:
Dave Hrejsa (02-04-2018), Ledeof (08-26-2021)
Old 02-01-2018, 04:57 PM
silvertc6
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I want to buy a brand new c7 sometime this year, most likely going to wait for the 2019s but I’m torn between the base stingray or the grand sport, I’m very well aware of the differences between the two but my big question is on the daily driving. Which will be best for? I know the grand sport will be more costly due to the tires but any other factors that I should know? It will be my main transportation, so I will drive it daily and take it on long trips as well. I want to hear your thoughts on this. Thank you!
Please someone correct me if I am wrong but from my understanding both the base stingray and GS both have the same size tires in 2018 and 2019.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:02 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,601 Likes on 5,560 Posts

If you are not going to track the car there's little difference as far as daily street driving goes.
It's probably has more to do with which body style you prefer. For me it's the wide-body.
The GS will cost a little more to maintain, if that's a huge concern you may want to consider something other than the C7.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:06 PM
pika
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by silvertc6
Please someone correct me if I am wrong but from my understanding both the base stingray and GS both have the same size tires in 2018 and 2019.
wrong, the base stingray and the Z51 have the same wheels and tires I believe (also someone correct me if I am wrong!) but the GS is wider
silvertc6 (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 05:08 PM
C7vette33
Cruising

I just picked up my new 2lt 2018 Stingray. I got z51 wheels and tires, z51 spoiler with an automatic trans. Suspension is a little stiffer on a grand sport, I would suggest getting magnetic ride control if you go with grand sport. But the ride and handling is great for my purpose, which is driving local and a few occational trips. Couldn't see paying the extra money for a beefed up suspension and not needing it.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:14 PM
C7Me
Burning Brakes

Received 480 Likes on 256 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by pika
wrong, the base stingray and the Z51 have the same wheels and tires I believe (also someone correct me if I am wrong!) but the GS is wider
They both have 19" & 20" wheels stock, but the GS's are wider and same width as the Z06's. The GS also comes stock with mag ride and is an option on the Stingray & Z51 models.

Last edited by C7Me; 02-01-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:16 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

I have a GS that I drive a few days a week, and I live in NorCal. Personally if I didn't get the GS I’d wish I had. I really like the look and performance, and I’m glad I made the choice. The tires may be a bit more but I don’t think there an other significant differences that would detract from daily driver use.
JerriVette (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 05:32 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I'd get the grand sport and I daily my corvettes..

The extra cost in tires is minimal and the preferred wide body look gets my vote.

The grand sport is literally considered the best vette to get...my dentist got a 2017 grand sport manual 1lz and he is in heaven as is his wife. His cost him 56888 dollars brand new. He flew out to Detroit to one of the forum vendors and drove home.

Upon arriving home he had a wonderful life adventure and as the father of three kids he is living his dreams. After a root canal he gave me...I let him drive my corvette z51 with the roof off between patients...he was hooked ...he was deciding between standard stingray or grand sport...he tells me he is very pleased with his choice of a grand sport and seeing the vehicle and going for a ride I can clearly say he made the right choice..

I suggest you live your dreams as you see fit. The grand sport is worth the extra few dollars without question according to my dentist who will also never track his car.

Your opinion may vary. Get the vehicle you like. Drive both and decide. That's the best way.

Have fun and congratulations.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:35 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,601 Likes on 5,560 Posts

Originally Posted by C7vette33

I just picked up my new 2lt 2018 Stingray. I got z51 wheels and tires, z51 spoiler with an automatic trans. Suspension is a little stiffer on a grand sport, I would suggest getting magnetic ride control if you go with grand sport. But the ride and handling is great for my purpose, which is driving local and a few occational trips. Couldn't see paying the extra money for a beefed up suspension and not needing it.
You get quite a bit more in a GS than just a beefed up suspension. In fact the GS package offers better value for features it contains than most of the packages in my opinion.

Get notified of new replies

To Base Stingray or Grand Sport as a daily driver?

Old 02-01-2018, 05:40 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

That helps me in deciding on a 2019 GS.. Will the 2020 be mid/rear engine?? I'm almost ready to wait but, it has been "soon" for years.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:41 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

I am a fan of the GS but my budget kept me at the Stingray level.

I can can tell you that even a basic Stingray without Z51 or Mag Ride is a faster car than most drivers can handle. Unless you have had some seat time with an instructor and additional track time, I doubt you will be able to get anywhere near the limits of a stripped out 1LT. Just hit the gas at a stop light and you’ll know what I’m talking about. It’s an impressive car even in its simplest form.
The following 2 users liked this post by Billy346:
bigsapper (02-02-2018), gusser (11-07-2022)
Old 02-01-2018, 06:00 PM
Graynoise90
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by teejake
I had a 14 Z51, was very happy with it (lost it in Hurricane Harvey), never had it on a track and honestly didn’t drive her that hard. Great car that I would not have chosen to get rid of. That said I ordered a 19GS simply because I like how the wide body looks better.
damn, I’m sorry for your lost. That hurricane was nasty. I hope you like the GS better once you get your hands on it. And yes I’m a fan of the wide body myself, although, I don’t mind the sleek, clean look of the stingray.

Quick Reply: Base Stingray or Grand Sport as a daily driver?