Sponsored by:

Question about 2018 GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 02:25 PM
rcharles30
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Question about 2018 GS

I recently went by my local dealership because they had a new GS in Sebring Orange. Wanted to see the new color in person. Anyway, the GS didn't have the side rockers or front splitter. Is that normal. I thought those were standard and not an option. The car definitely looks a lot better with them. My 17 GS has them and never saw it listed as an add on. Are the new ones coming with them?

Here is the car:

Old 02-02-2018, 02:29 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

They are standard on the GS, the dealer is supposed to install these once the cars reach their lot. I believe you will find them in the hatch area. I have seen a lot of small dealers not install these. I ran into a guy at a store in a GS and I had to tell him about his missing. He didn't know they were to be on the car!
The following users liked this post:
rcharles30 (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 03:10 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

"He didn't know they were to be on the car!"

That's just... pitiful... even for a typical GM dealer. This suggests that it might be of value to check their trash bins once in a while.

Last edited by Avanti; 02-02-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:02 PM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

Seen that quite a bit it seems .. dealers don't install them until car sold ... prevents them from getting damaged on lot I guess ...
Old 02-02-2018, 08:32 PM
CADbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 354 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by rcharles30
I recently went by my local dealership because they had a new GS in Sebring Orange. Wanted to see the new color in person. Anyway, the GS didn't have the side rockers or front splitter. Is that normal. I thought those were standard and not an option. The car definitely looks a lot better with them. My 17 GS has them and never saw it listed as an add on. Are the new ones coming with them?

Here is the car:

In the case of my GS (and I presume it's this way for Z06's and probably Stingrays as well), it was delivered wrapped in what felt like a tyvek cover (I'm sure it's some other material). When we took off the cover (I was there when the Corvette truck delivered my GS), I asked where all the ground effects were. I learned that some if not all Corvettes are delivered to the dealerships with the splitter and side skirts removed so they don't get damaged in transit.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:38 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

That is correct. All GS and Z06 cars are shipped without skirts and splitters installed. They would too often get damaged loading and unloading from trucks and rail cars. They are dealer-installed upon delivery.

They are not OEM options on Stingray, but often installed after-market by owners.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-02-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:55 PM
rcharles30
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:11 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

fender - bumper gap looks bad to me
Old 02-02-2018, 09:19 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by AKKutz
They are standard on the GS, the dealer is supposed to install these once the cars reach their lot. I believe you will find them in the hatch area. I have seen a lot of small dealers not install these. I ran into a guy at a store in a GS and I had to tell him about his missing. He didn't know they were to be on the car!
I had the same experience with a guy who I ran into at a gas station. He was filling up his new Z06 and I commented about him going without the Splitter and rockers. He said he went with the 1LZ option package and they didn’t come with the car with this trim level according to the dealer...
Old 02-02-2018, 10:49 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,607 Likes on 5,563 Posts

Interesting that anyone would purchase a GS or ZO6 without the side skirts and splitter installed, especially considering all the POP, sales brochures, literature that shows the cars with the items installed.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:12 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Just because it was sitting in the lot without them doesn't mean someone wanted to purchase it without. Some dealers leave them off until sale to prevent damage, and/or in case the car get's moved or transported.

Having said that, if I wanted a GS, I'd purchase it without. I don't care for the look.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-02-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:57 AM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 482 Posts

When I was shopping for mine, I saw some with the skirts, etc. installed and some without, even at the same dealerships.

The dealer I got mine from had all the skirts, etc. installed on their entire inventory.

Makes it easier to shop when "What you see is what you get".
Old 02-03-2018, 07:41 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,607 Likes on 5,563 Posts

Originally Posted by NashvilleGrandSport
When I was shopping for mine, I saw some with the skirts, etc. installed and some without, even at the same dealerships.
The dealer I got mine from had all the skirts, etc. installed on their entire inventory.
Makes it easier to shop when "What you see is what you get".
I visited a 1/2 dozen dealerships or more when searching for my GS probably seeing a hundred GSs and Z06s and very few that had been prepped and presented for sale didn't have skirts and splitters installed.
Ones I saw without were mostly new arrivals still in dealership receiving areas.

I did find the varying effort that the different dealerships put into keeping their C7 inventory clean and presentable surprising. Some dealerships had C7s that were dirty, some even having water stains and badly rusted break rotors. Others dealerships seemed to go to great lengths to keep all their C7s pristine.

In regard to the Sebring Orange in the OP; seems all we see are trimmed out in black. Should get a lot of attention around Halloween.
I'd like to see one with chrome wheels and accents for comparison.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:51 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I visited a 1/2 dozen dealerships or more when searching for my GS probably seeing a hundred GSs and Z06s and very few that had been prepped and presented for sale didn't have skirts and splitters installed.
Ones I saw without were mostly new arrivals still in dealership receiving areas.

I did find the varying effort that the different dealerships put into keeping their C7 inventory clean and presentable surprising. Some dealerships had C7s that were dirty, some even having water stains and badly rusted break rotors. Others dealerships seemed to go to great lengths to keep all their C7s pristine.

In regard to the Sebring Orange in the OP; seems all we see are trimmed out in black. Should get a lot of attention around Halloween.
I'd like to see one with chrome wheels and accents for comparison.
Skirts and splitters are shipped directly from manufacturer to the parts department and usually arrive before the car, communications with the parts department at times could cause the lack of there items being installed.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:49 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
That is correct. All GS and Z06 cars are shipped without skirts and splitters installed. They would too often get damaged loading and unloading from trucks and rail cars. They are dealer-installed upon delivery.
They are actually shipped separate from the car in a few boxes and the boxes are too big to fit in the car - I know because I don't have the splitter installed on my GS (driveway clearance issue) and it came in a box that is 6.5' long by 18" wide and 4.5" high.
The dealer usually installs them during the PDI process, although practice by dealer varies.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:00 AM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

I purchased my car with 600 miles on it. The original owner purchased it 10 days earlier and the original dealer had not installed them. The Original dealer tried charging the 2nd dealer for the pieces untill we showed them the breakdown that it came with the car. Wasn't really an issue, just that original dealer was trying to pull a fast one and it did not work.

(Trust fund kid bought car, shortly after had issues, parents made him take car back and sell to dealer, bad for him, good for me!)

When I purchased the car, they handed me the boxes and I installed them myself.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:09 AM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Just because it was sitting in the lot without them doesn't mean someone wanted to purchase it without. Some dealers leave them off until sale to prevent damage, and/or in case the car get's moved or transported.

Having said that, if I wanted a GS, I'd purchase it without. I don't care for the look.
The GS I saw was at the grocery. The guy had it for a couple of months. He had no clue the splitter and skirts came with the car. He was very thankful when I mentioned that the dealer should have them!
Old 02-03-2018, 10:39 AM
MacMulkin
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 4,105 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by CADbrian
In the case of my GS (and I presume it's this way for Z06's and probably Stingrays as well), it was delivered wrapped in what felt like a tyvek cover (I'm sure it's some other material). When we took off the cover (I was there when the Corvette truck delivered my GS), I asked where all the ground effects were. I learned that some if not all Corvettes are delivered to the dealerships with the splitter and side skirts removed so they don't get damaged in transit.
That is correct. Ground effects for Grand Sports and Z06s are shipped separately to the dealerships prior to delivery of the cars....usually...

Corvette Sales & Incentives

Get notified of new replies

To Question about 2018 GS

Quick Reply: Question about 2018 GS