C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for C7 owners without the MRC

Old 02-05-2018, 05:31 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

The tough part about mag ride is being able to detect the difference when you are new to the C7. The first time I drove one, I couldn't tell the difference between the different modes. I ended up buying a Z51 without mag ride because I didn't see the sense in paying for an option that does essentially nothing. This perception changed with experience. My dad bought a new non-Z51 Stingray this weekend with mag ride, and while driving it home from the dealer, he toggled between the settings and couldn't tell a difference in the ride quality. Since I now have more experience driving a C7, I could detect the difference and can now see a greater value in the option. The difference between settings is subtle, but very noticeable if you have some seat time. I'd say if you have the choice between two: one with and one without, and you are on the fence, buy the one with. Mag ride is not a very expensive option in the big scheme of things. At the same time, I really enjoy driving my non-mag ride car. Things like cornering ability, acceleration, and cool-factor have nothing to do with the ability to pick the ride quality. While Performance Traction Management (The traction control software that comes with the Z51 mag-ride equipped cars) augments the cornering ability an acceleration, I know for a fact that I don't push the car hard enough to need it. This car is much faster than the driver by a long shot. (And I'm okay with that.) .
The following users liked this post:
ojm (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 05:40 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

For the money the difference needs to be greater. Soft as the base stingray and firm as the currant performance Z06, with that it could be the best of both worlds
ojm (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 06:57 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

Not one Chev. dealer I called or visited, over the course of 3 years, offered so much as a ride along in a new C7. Much less a test drive. It was disheartening, but I got over it by just buying one.
The dealership I bought my C7 from (Brian Cullen in St Catharines Ontario) offered me a test drive without me even asking them, but I actually turned them down for two reasons. Number one was because I really wanted my first drive in a C7 to be in mine, but also because I ordered the car in September and knew it was going to be a few months away and I figured the wait would be even harder if I had driven one and found out how awesome they really were
Old 02-05-2018, 09:54 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by spireland
I really don't blame them on the no test drive thing.

It's not the dealers....it's the buyers.

Let's face it...most, if not all Corvette buyers are extremely...picky...to put it mildly. They are not going to want to buy a car that has been driven by others.

The solution is pretty easy, just go test drive a used one, that way you aren't "ruining" a car for a fussy corvette buyer.
None were blamed. They ALL missed a new C7 sale. They weren't sharp enough to know that they had a serious buyer. No problem though, they were ALL trying to price gouge me, so test driving their C7s wasn't going to result in a sale for them. I bought the deal I wanted anyway. It just took some time for it to come along. No interest in driving a used one with miles on it. They're already "ruined."
ojm (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 09:57 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

When you're on a new C7 budget, the Mag Ride at $3,495.00* isn't something the 1LT buyers are going to get anyway. Regardless how good it is.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:05 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

It's $1795.00 on the 2018
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2018, 10:08 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

When you're on a new C7 budget, the Mag Ride at $3,495.00* isn't something the 1LT buyers are going to get anyway. Regardless how good it is.
That is a bit vague, in my case I was just doing research, there was a car with the colors liked so posted my question. It would make no sense to not buy what is best, just do not know what is best.

In Canada a base 2018 is 70k so 4-5 k more is not an issue.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:12 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Neither do I. That's why I bought the MagRide. You can't add it later.

Unless you drive every iteration of C7 you may buy, you'll never know anyway....
Old 02-05-2018, 10:15 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by c54u
It's $1795.00 on the 2018
Not mine. Depends on the MY.

Mine was $3,495.00.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:25 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Not mine. Depends on the MY.

Mine was $3,495.00.
That's because on the 2017 you could only get mag ride with the Z51 wheels, so you were paying for both of those things. For 2018 and 2019, the Z51 wheels are now standard, so that's why the MSRC option now costs less, because you are only paying for MSRC.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:25 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

It used to include the Z51 rear spoiler and the upgraded wheel sizes for the $3495.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:34 PM
Vetteram
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Only you can make that decision, I have a 2014 3lt z51 without mag ride, always keep it in sport ride and love it. My wife and are both happy. Personally I wouldn’t spend the money on it. You need to test drive both.
ojm (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 11:15 PM
Spasetrucker
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Just a thought. The top line Corvettes and Camaros are now coming with the the DSSV shocks. Do you think GM will be offering them on lesser models soon? Since they have multi-valve fluid control, will it make MSRC obsolete?
Old 02-06-2018, 04:00 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Not one Chev. dealer I called or visited, over the course of 3 years, offered so much as a ride along in a new C7. Much less a test drive. It was disheartening, but I got over it by just buying one.
Originally Posted by spireland
I really don't blame them on the no test drive thing.

It's not the dealers....it's the buyers.

Let's face it...most, if not all Corvette buyers are extremely...picky...to put it mildly. They are not going to want to buy a car that has been driven by others.

The solution is pretty easy, just go test drive a used one, that way you aren't "ruining" a car for a fussy corvette buyer.
None were blamed. They ALL missed a new C7 sale. They weren't sharp enough to know that they had a serious buyer. No problem though, they were ALL trying to price gouge me, so test driving their C7s wasn't going to result in a sale for them. I bought the deal I wanted anyway. It just took some time for it to come along. No interest in driving a used one with miles on it. They're already "ruined."
Looking at these comments I was reminded of a recent thread where the OP bought a car with 130 miles on it and looking carefully “after he got it home,” was shocked that it had some worn paint spots and some swirl marks from buffing and would not accept the dealers offer to repaint some areas. Called GM Customer Service and heard their trained sympathetic ear, he thought support his desire to have the car repainted at the factory! An irrational thought as those robots can only paint unassembled parts on a special cart! Was upset that in subsequent discussions with GM Customer Service was told it was up to the dealer!

Most Vette buyers don’t want a car someone else has test driven. When a large Vette dealer invests in one so that can be done, they have to discount it heavily to sell it after a number of folks drove it and it sat outside for many months in the elements! I’m sure the poster mentioned above got a “good deal” but that was overlooked as he wanted a “factory fresh car!”

All 5 of my Vettes have been ordered from the factory to get exactly what I wanted. Ordered my 2014 Z51 months before production started! In fact was pleased when I picked the car up from one of the largest Vette dealers some 120 miles from my home how they treated “MY CAR.” At the time, dealers were not able to get C7’s for the showroom, GM was filling “customer bought C7 Vettes” first. When the wife and I went to pick it up, it had been at the dealers only 1 1/2 days and was in their showroom. The only C7. A salesman was showing it to a potential buyer and we listened prior to talking to the sales manager to finalize the paperwork. That ”potential customer” asked to sit in the car. The salesman, who had no idea we were the future owner’s said, “Not allowed, it is a customer car!”

Never drove a Grand Sport before I ordered it. Therefore never drove one with MRC as my 2014 Z51 did not have MRC. IMO, a major advantage of the Forum, in general, is there are good posts that help decision making. Like anything on the net, your job to read enough and sort out the quality posts from the not so well informed. Frankly I also rely on Road & Track, Car and Driver etc articles from PRO’s who put the cars through their paces.

Prior to buying my 2008 Z51 I looked at a Nissan 300ZX. As expected the dealer did not have a standard shift (nor do any Vette dealers in my area) and that is all I would buy. They had a year old used 300ZX with a standard shift and I was happy to drive it. It was a big disappointment from my ‘74 260Z, which I loved. No question it would be another Vette from having 2, the last some 7 years before, and having kept up with magazine articles as I was coming from a modified S10 Stepside. Didn’t need to try one, just called Kerbeck and placed an order!

Just Some Thoughts, To Each Their Own!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-06-2018 at 04:29 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:41 AM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by ojm
How was the driving on daily street rides without the magnetic ride control?
..sorry have asked about before.

I have note test drived any c7 before, reason asking once in awhile they show up in colors I like. Just need a heads up before test drive hate to make impulse buys at these prices.

Not worried of resale and will buy the option just getting a better idea.
Where are you from? If you are from anywhere near us, stop in and we'll let you test drive a Stingray and a Grand Sport. We don't stock Stingrays with MRC so that's the best I can offer.

Dave
America's Corvette Dealership

email - dsalvatore@cioccadealerships.com
Showroom - 609-344-2100. Ext 1022
Text - 856-535-0407

Follow Ciocca Corvette on Instagram!

Last edited by Dave@Ciocca; 02-06-2018 at 05:42 AM.
ojm (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 08:49 AM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,363 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Default Cause and Effect

If you have to ask this question, you'll never notice the difference. And I doubt even the biggest fan of MRC couldn't either in a blind road test. But will swear to the contrary. Watch them.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:23 AM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Z51 no MSRC etither and it is very streetable. Drove at Ron Fellows with Z51 MSRC but only in Track Mode and there is a difference in track mode.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:26 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

Living near a CForum Internet advertising dealer solves everything for any of us that are serious shoppers.

Maybe they knew you were 3 years away from buying one.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:05 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by c54u
It used to include the Z51 rear spoiler and the upgraded wheel sizes for the $3495.
My 2017 has the FE2, option. It changed on the 2018 MY.
c54u (02-06-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for C7 owners without the MRC