Sponsored by:

A8 Question for a Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 08:06 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts
Default A8 Question for a Newbie

My Corvette is a 2017 Z51 with the M7. Today, my father bought a 2017 Stingray, non-Z51 with the A8, NPP, and mag ride. It seems to work well, but it occasionally makes a really strange sound. It only seems to happen when the engine is at low RPMs (Between 1000 and 1500 RPM). It goes away if he steps on the gas. The sound is a really loud drone or reverberation. There is no vibration or warble sound and the car does not seem to behave abnormally when it does it. Does this sound familiar to any of you guys who have the A8 on your car? Is it normal? If not, is there anyone here who knows what causes it? Thanks for any information that you can give me.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:06 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Exhaust drone is very subjective, and what you describe (hard to just guess) sounds like it . Drone in our cars is a sympathetic vibration usually at the rpms you state .

Some people never notice it, some aren't bothered by it, and some can't stand even the least little bit of it.

If this is what he is experiencing, then he may want to keep the exhaust flaps closed all the time. I'm not sure what the procedure is on a '17, but it's in the OM.

Last edited by owc6; 02-03-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:13 PM
Kansasz06
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Could it be it is switching to Economy Mode and running on 4 cyl
Old 02-03-2018, 11:45 PM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy346
My Corvette is a 2017 Z51 with the M7. Today, my father bought a 2017 Stingray, non-Z51 with the A8, NPP, and mag ride. It seems to work well, but it occasionally makes a really strange sound. It only seems to happen when the engine is at low RPMs (Between 1000 and 1500 RPM). It goes away if he steps on the gas. The sound is a really loud drone or reverberation. There is no vibration or warble sound and the car does not seem to behave abnormally when it does it. Does this sound familiar to any of you guys who have the A8 on your car? Is it normal? If not, is there anyone here who knows what causes it? Thanks for any information that you can give me.
Have either the same thing or something very similar. With my M7. I call it groan noise. Had it to dealer a couple of times could not duplicate it. It has to be just at the right RPMs to gas pedal force . Might just be exhaust noise. But does not happen all the time.. Not really a bother unless it is really pronounced I guess. There are other posts on this.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:30 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by kaplana08
Have either the same thing or something very similar. With my M7. I call it groan noise. Had it to dealer a couple of times could not duplicate it. It has to be just at the right RPMs to gas pedal force . Might just be exhaust noise. But does not happen all the time.. Not really a bother unless it is really pronounced I guess. There are other posts on this.
I haven't noticed this with my 2016 Z51 A8.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:51 AM
ElGreco53
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

FWIW, I rarely let my rpms slip below 1800...not the best mileage but the biggest smile...
Old 02-04-2018, 01:27 AM
bankers1
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Old 02-04-2018, 08:58 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy346
I have a 17 GS A8 7K mi and have the same noise, however, it seems to go away after the car warms up, hard to tell where it's coming from could be eDIF or transmission then at times sounds like it's up front. Very mysterious, I am sure by the time I get 13 mi to the dealers it would go away, so I would have trouble duplicating it.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:23 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Thanks for the help, guys. Again, it's my dad's car, and he doesn't even seem to notice the drone. The car probably just needs a little break in. It was manufactured in 10/16, so with all that time sitting on the dealer's lot, I'm sure its going to take some time for everything to loosen up.

I'm convinced the sound has something to do with the AFM. It just doesn't make any sense otherwise. I'm going to try driving it in manual mode under the same conditions and see if the sound stops. If so, I might recommend a Range AFM disabler plug to eliminate the problem.

Again, if anyone else has any other ideas, let me know. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:33 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I would also bet on the AFM given the occurrence only under light load/low RPM conditions. In addition to NPP his car will have an additional set of valves in the exhaust that operate in V4 mode to improve the exhaust note so if the noise is during V4 operation but still unusual for that it could be an issue with one or both of those valves although typically they will set a DTC when they fail. My Z06 doesn't have these valves (and never goes into V4 mode anyway) and I think they may have been deleted from some of the other higher performance variants in later years because they are highly failure prone from heat developed on the track.

My Z06 developed a very odd noise when cold at about 600 miles and it was because the NH temp tag it wore home from the museum was vibrating at certain engine RPM with the NPP in track mode. Like many other Corvette sounds it was a little difficult to localize until I remote started it when cold and saw the tag doing its little happy dance.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Question for a Newbie

Quick Reply: A8 Question for a Newbie