Anti-popo tech that actually works? Radar detectors? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anti-popo tech that actually works? Radar detectors?

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-popo tech that actually works? Radar detectors?

Reply

 
 
 
Old 02-05-2018, 05:47 PM
  #1  
jdlev
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: About to Lap You
Posts: 142
Thanked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Default Anti-popo tech that actually works? Radar detectors?

Let's face it, the corvette can go 0 to speeding ticket in less than 5 seconds. so I've been considering picking up a radar detector or other similar tech to avoid a $300 (or more) mistake. Looking for actual user experiences. I haven't owned a radar detector since I was 20, and at that time they were pretty much worthless. Not sure how they'd protect against lasers since you can't react faster than the speed of light, lol.

What have you guys used that has worked?
jdlev is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:53 PM
  #2  
MitchAlsup
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 2,742
Thanked 60 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jdlev View Post
What have you guys used that has worked?
I got to the point I actually drive within spitting distance of the speed limits. Really!

I also take the car to the road race track when the urge hits. A HPDE session (or 4) takes the need to speed away for a bit over a month.

Last edited by MitchAlsup; 02-05-2018 at 05:54 PM.
MitchAlsup is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MitchAlsup For This Useful Post:
woodsguy (02-06-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 08:00 PM
  #3  
2016C7.paul
CF Member
 
2016C7.paul's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2017
Location: Ft Worth
Posts: 98
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default

There are many threads on radar detectors on CF. I have been researching for several weeks and have decided either to get a Uniden R3 ($399) with blendmount or too maybe wait a few months to see if anything new comes out first. I also like the Escort 360 with arrows, but the price at around $600 is ridiculous. The R3 seems to be winning the long range detection battle. If it had arrows I'd have already bought it.
2016C7.paul is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:02 PM
  #4  
uwec86
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
uwec86's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2013
Location: Vero Beach FL
Posts: 416
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2016C7.paul View Post
There are many threads on radar detectors on CF. I have been researching for several weeks and have decided either to get a Uniden R3 ($399) with blendmount or too maybe wait a few months to see if anything new comes out first. I also like the Escort 360 with arrows, but the price at around $600 is ridiculous. The R3 seems to be winning the long range detection battle. If it had arrows I'd have already bought it.
Love the 360!
uwec86 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to uwec86 For This Useful Post:
kaufmansm (02-06-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 08:18 PM
  #5  
jpc0011
CF Senior Member
 
jpc0011's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2005
Location: HAVERTOWN PA
Posts: 503
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

R3 is a beast on the highway.
jpc0011 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpc0011 For This Useful Post:
cowboy casey (02-06-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 08:26 PM
  #6  
segen77
CF Senior Member
 
segen77's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: South Dallas Tx
Posts: 317
Thanked 49 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Having had the R3 (currently) the 360 (returned after a couple weeks) and the V1, I have to give it to the R3. The V1 is a close second, but distance is better on the R3 by far. Also, frankly, I find the V1 ugly. The 360 arrows are so small they are virtually useless, and the price was too much for the value. The need for arrows is more of a novelty than anything. The reality is when you hear it pop off, you're going to slow no matter what. I have had my R3 detect at a range of close to three miles, but I would say about a mile to mile and a half is more typical. Still more than enough time. If you really want the best couple the R3 with WAZE.

Regarding Laser. If you get popped, you're screwed. Any detector will just let you know it's time to pull over.

Regarding the blendmount. I had intended on getting one, but since it took them so dang long to come out, I'm kind of liking the detector just above my dash, and not blocking my view. I may still get it at some point though. Who knows.

Your best bet is to research on a radar detector forum, and not here. You'll find a wealth of information there.
segen77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to segen77 For This Useful Post:
2016C7.paul (02-05-2018), cowboy casey (02-06-2018), ImpliedConsent (02-08-2018), jdlev (02-07-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 08:31 PM
  #7  
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member
 
PatternDayTrader's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Lansing MI and Houston TX
Posts: 5,466
Thanked 535 Times in 428 Posts
Default

This is a copy/paste of a post I made a while back. I'm going to go ahead and pull rank on everyone with this since I regularly average over 80 mph on a 1200 mile trip between Michigan and Texas. Here it is.


Keep in mind all radar detectors are totally worthless if you don't take the time to understand how to use them. There will be a learning curve before it becomes genuinely useful. Blind spot monitors, traffic flow sensors, and tons of other things cause false alerts. On some sections of road, non-stop full alarm alerts can make you think a detector is actually broken. I went through this just this morning on I30 north of Texarkana.
Knowing all this, my vote is the Uniden r3. Yeah its a bit more than 250 bucks but its worth it. Presently, it is now accepted as the best long range detector available at any price. My experience reflects this. A detectors range requirement is relative to the speed you want to travel. The faster you go, the more range you need. Here's some free advice from someone who knows. No matter what you buy, if even one chirp of a Ka band alert sounds, you better be on the brakes until you find the source. Also, go ahead and shut X band off unless you travel in Ohio. Turn off K POP. Don't use Ka narrow, use Ka wide to sweep for all frequencies including out of tune guns. Speed traps are a very easy problem to avoid, the most difficult thing to avoid, is catching up to a moving police car at night. Be really careful traveling over 100 mph and don't weave in and out of slower cars if you do, people just call 911 ( trust me, I know). Lastly, don't use gps lockouts (on any detector) to silence falses coming form those stupid signs that blink your speed when your over the posted limit. Just remember those spots.
PatternDayTrader is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PatternDayTrader For This Useful Post:
cowboy casey (02-06-2018), driver9 (02-09-2018), JamieJT (02-22-2018), jdlev (02-07-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 08:31 PM
  #8  
2016C7.paul
CF Member
 
2016C7.paul's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2017
Location: Ft Worth
Posts: 98
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by segen77 View Post
Having had the R3 (currently) the 360 (returned after a couple weeks) and the V1, I have to give it to the R3. The V1 is a close second, but distance is better on the R3 by far. Also, frankly, I find the V1 ugly. The 360 arrows are so small they are virtually useless, and the price was too much for the value. The need for arrows is more of a novelty than anything. The reality is when you hear it pop off, you're going to slow no matter what. I have had my R3 detect at a range of close to three miles, but I would say about a mile to mile and a half is more typical. Still more than enough time. If you really want the best couple the R3 with WAZE.

Regarding Laser. If you get popped, you're screwed. Any detector will just let you know it's time to pull over.

Regarding the blendmount. I had intended on getting one, but since it took them so dang long to come out, I'm kind of liking the detector just above my dash, and not blocking my view. I may still get it at some point though. Who knows.

Your best bet is to research on a radar detector forum, and not here. You'll find a wealth of information there.
Do you use the GPS functionality? Is it built-in or do you have to connect the R3 to your phone or your car's wireless? I can't find any info on that.
2016C7.paul is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:55 PM
  #9  
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member
 
PatternDayTrader's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Lansing MI and Houston TX
Posts: 5,466
Thanked 535 Times in 428 Posts
Default

The blendmount is nice but its really only better if you hardwire the power supply so that you don't have the cord hanging down. The issue I have with that is the Uniden cord has a built in mute button which is nice because there are quite a lot of k band falses. Especially in construction zones where there are traffic flow sensors ever half mile or so. So hardwiring the power supply means you lose the mute button on the cord and have to reach up and manually mute the falses. Its a choice I guess. Obviously you can still use the blendmount with the cord, but then its hanging down, so there's that ...

AL Priority is basically the only laser jammer to buy. Everything else is too easy to punch through. This is a seriously sinister piece of equipment, and you really need a very good reason to even have it. The base price is 1900 bucks and its is basically a permanent install. You need line of sight with laser, and the places that laser is commonly used are generally high density traffic and you cant safely go over the posted limit by more than maybe five or eight mile per hour anyway, but if you are serious then that is really the only way to go.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 02-05-2018 at 09:16 PM.
PatternDayTrader is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:44 PM
  #10  
saleen556
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2010
Posts: 1,239
Thanked 307 Times in 208 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader View Post
The blendmount is nice but its really only better if you hardwire the power supply so that you don't have the cord hanging down. The issue I have with that is the Uniden cord has a built in mute button which is nice because there are quite a lot of k band falses. Especially in construction zones where there are traffic flow sensors ever half mile or so. So hardwiring the power supply means you lose the mute button on the cord and have to reach up and manually mute the falses. Its a choice I guess. Obviously you can still use the blendmount with the cord, but then its hanging down, so there's that ...

AL Priority is basically the only laser jammer to buy. Everything else is too easy to punch through. This is a seriously sinister piece of equipment, and you really need a very good reason to even have it. The base price is 1900 bucks and its is basically a permanent install. You need line of sight with laser, and the places that laser is commonly used are generally high density traffic and you cant safely go over the posted limit by more than maybe five or eight mile per hour anyway, but if you are serious then that is really the only way to go.
I have my Escort IX on a blendmount. I bought a direct wire smartcord and mounted it on the lower right side of my dash in front of my knee. Very easy to mute this way.
saleen556 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:48 PM
  #11  
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member
 
PatternDayTrader's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Lansing MI and Houston TX
Posts: 5,466
Thanked 535 Times in 428 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post


I have my Escort IX on a blendmount. I bought a direct wire smartcord and mounted it on the lower right side of my dash in front of my knee. Very easy to mute this way.
Nice ... I'm afraid to just turn off K band even though some very serious people do. I also use an aux cord from the detector to the radio so the alerts come through the speakers. So I love the mute button.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 02-05-2018 at 09:50 PM.
PatternDayTrader is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:12 PM
  #12  
rrsperry
CF Senior Member
 
rrsperry's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,442
Thanked 349 Times in 221 Posts
Default

Looked at a blendmount, but it really limits your sight lines to the rt front. I use a windshield mount next to mirror, and power tap.

I really like my V1, but no detector can protect you all the time. Relying solely on a detector will get you a ticket. Ya gotta use your head too.
rrsperry is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rrsperry For This Useful Post:
jdlev (02-07-2018), movinlow (02-06-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 10:20 PM
  #13  
xwing
CF Senior Member
 
xwing's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago Suburbs IL
Posts: 15,717
Thanked 70 Times in 50 Posts
Default

IMO the best detectors are the Escort 360 or Valentine V1. But there are many, many threads debating the benefits of each (and other choices.) To the main question, yes it is very much worth it to have a radar detector. It won't save you every time, but it will save you most of the time.
xwing is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xwing For This Useful Post:
jdlev (02-07-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 10:30 PM
  #14  
Tex Vette
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2017
Location: Katy Texas
Posts: 94
Thanked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Default Just got a 360

Originally Posted by jdlev View Post
Let's face it, the corvette can go 0 to speeding ticket in less than 5 seconds. so I've been considering picking up a radar detector or other similar tech to avoid a $300 (or more) mistake. Looking for actual user experiences. I haven't owned a radar detector since I was 20, and at that time they were pretty much worthless. Not sure how they'd protect against lasers since you can't react faster than the speed of light, lol.

What have you guys used that has worked?
I have not had a radar detector in 30 years. That one didnít work very well. The 360, to me, is amazing how well it works. It has GPS and Bluetooth that works with the Escort app which I always use with the detector. Itís expensive but cheaper than tickets and insurance.
Just my opinion. Everyone has one.
Tex Vette is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:32 PM
  #15  
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member
 
PatternDayTrader's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Lansing MI and Houston TX
Posts: 5,466
Thanked 535 Times in 428 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by xwing View Post
IMO the best detectors are the Escort 360 or Valentine V1. But there are many, many threads debating the benefits of each (and other choices.) To the main question, yes it is very much worth it to have a radar detector. It won't save you every time, but it will save you most of the time.
Nope they sure wont save you every time. The truth is they shouldn't save you at any time. The only reason they work at all is because cops tend to leave the radar turned on when they are sitting there. A sharp copper will leave it off until he can see someone that's speeding, then he will turn it on and try to get a reading. I congratulate the guy if I get caught in this way. It means he was doing his job.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 02-05-2018 at 10:42 PM.
PatternDayTrader is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:45 PM
  #16  
Ed Ramberger
CF Senior Member
 
Ed Ramberger's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 561
Thanked 119 Times in 87 Posts
Default

I have been nothing less that completely satisfied with my 9500 IX.
Ed Ramberger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:13 PM
  #17  
xwing
CF Senior Member
 
xwing's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago Suburbs IL
Posts: 15,717
Thanked 70 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader View Post
Nope they sure wont save you every time. The truth is they shouldn't save you at any time. The only reason they work at all is because cops tend to leave the radar turned on when they are sitting there. A sharp copper will leave it off until he can see someone that's speeding, then he will turn it on and try to get a reading. I congratulate the guy if I get caught in this way. It means he was doing his job.
Right, but many of them are lazy. There are so many people speeding, traffic police can "have their pick". So many just leave the radar running and grab the easy pickings. I prefer to be a slightly harder catch. I still can get caught, but it takes a little more effort. And that will save you 90% of the time.

Last edited by xwing; 02-05-2018 at 11:14 PM.
xwing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:16 PM
  #18  
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member
 
PatternDayTrader's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Lansing MI and Houston TX
Posts: 5,466
Thanked 535 Times in 428 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by xwing View Post
Right, but many of them are lazy. There are so many people speeding, traffic police can "have their pick". So many just leave the radar running and grab the easy pickings. I prefer to be a slightly harder catch. I still can get caught, but it takes a little more effort. And that will save you 90% of the time.
Agreed.
PatternDayTrader is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:28 PM
  #19  
Pzilly
CF Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2017
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Default

R3 seems to work well for all my buds, I'm probably upgrading to that myself.
as others have mentioned laser detector feature is useless except to let you know to start looking for a place to pull over. Same goes for pop radar, best technique we have is setting the cruise 6-7 mph over the limit and relax.

now if I find a bird dog aka guy flying down the road and free way is fairly open I am gain to sit about a 3/4 mile or So behind him/her and roll for a bit, in this case what I am hoping for is my detector to pick up scatter off either my bird dog or someone else ahead and I shut her down. I also suggest using waze, it has become fairly accurate, even alerted me the other day to a tire inn the road...

another technique is a good old fashion hand held CB and a passanger who doesnt mind chatting to the big boys.

Last technique, when pulled over, don't try and over BS a cop, he has heard it all, except usually the truth, my favorite line when asked what the rush is?
" no real reason Officer, except a bad day, and now my **** poor decision making trying to feel better about it clearly back firing" this has often dropped my tickets from 15-20 over to 5 over and no points, why? Because I didn't BS the guy, sure I'm paying 200-300 bucks but points are the real cost, and when I mail the check in include a short letter stating how much i would like to thank the officer for showing true professionalism, especially in these days, well because that's true too, and I may see him/her again and it doesn't take but a few minute to give thanks to the guys and gals that keep our dumb asses in check lol....
Pzilly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:28 PM
  #20  
KemahGT
CF Senior Member
 
KemahGT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Posts: 499
Thanked 113 Times in 76 Posts
Default

Iím convinced that a filthy Shark Grey with no front plate reduces the range of a laser gun by a substantial margin over the typical vehicle out there.
KemahGT is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anti-popo tech that actually works? Radar detectors?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: