Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Millennials are not buying new Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 05:46 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Millennial don't buy Porsches either. Weird!
Old 02-07-2018, 06:24 PM
bankers1
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm with dvillin, put me to sleep will ya, must be a NY thing. Get a place for a child seat, offer free starbucks, donate to the whales....I could care less why GM is not reading the market, OR
listening to this guy....
Old 02-07-2018, 06:46 PM
C82LT
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 352 Posts

I see a lot of people in BMWs because they have a stellar lease program to suck people in. GM doesn’t really do that. Cadillac is toying with it now.

If you’re buying, you need a little money. The problem GM needs to solve is to make everyone have enough money to buy corvettes. There’s a reason why the Camaro exists, and even further, the 4 and 6 cyl Camaro exists. And when maybe you do have enough money to buy a corvette, you probably have kids and lumber to haul around. By the time the average person can afford an extra pricey car or a car just for two people, they are older......duh.

With all that said, I know there would be some engineering to do, but they could put the v6 in the Vette. I mean it has plenty of power, basically what a stock C5 had. The Vette is light so it would still be an enjoyable car. Couple it with fewer amenities (regular AC, halogen headlights, cloth seats etc etc) and they could sell in the mid to upper $40k before discounts.

People would actually buy these as track rats. If you look at the Miatas and FRSs people buy for track use, it lowers the barrier to entry and ongoing operating costs as well as probably lowers the weight further. I’m sure GM has considered this and felt it would eat into the 8cylinder displacement Corvettes.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:50 PM
RCZ51C7
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

The way I see it is the following. Corvettes are expensive cars for a two seat. I know that Escalades, Tahoes, Suburbans,etc. Could more expensive than a C7. However, having plenty of room might help, same with trucks. If you think about it, I can buy a BMW, Mercedes, Audi for the price of a Vette and I can have my friends in the back seat.

Bottom line in my own personal opinion, is that the Corvette market is for people that value the car and what represents America's Car! Some might say is an old people car, I was 32 when I bought my C7. However, my favorite is the C2 model. I already started my savings piggy for my C2.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:54 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Pansy boys and their skinny jeans have never been interested in Corvettes.
The following users liked this post:
LuisZ51 (03-29-2020)
Old 02-07-2018, 07:10 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Actually they spend all their money on Apple cell phones and Starbucks. After doing that there's nothing left over to buy a car.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:33 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
The price of things is all relative. When I bought my first Corvette in 1977 the price was $12,000 and my house cost $35,000. My house would cost $235,000 to build today, and I bought a new Stingray for $55,000, so Corvettes are still a good deal even if you ran the price up to $80,000. Still about 1/3 of a house.
Definitely not true in all areas. In 1964 (before I was born) the house I own sold new for $24,500 and a new C2's MSRP was $4,700, about 5x.
Today, my house would sell for $1.4 million and a new C7 is $60k, about 24x the price. In many areas house prices have far outpaced inflation, making it that much harder to afford other stuff besides housing.
JerriVette (02-08-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 07:46 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Im 34 and I just bought a 2018 2lz auto with PDR
Attached Images     
JerriVette (02-08-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:07 PM
CdnC7
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

As mentioned in one of the previous posts, there are large numbers of similarly priced vehicles that younger folks purchase, so while the price is a contributing factor, it doesn’t appear to be the only deterrent.

In almost all of Canada and the snowy areas of the US, most people will not use a Corvette as a daily driver (saying this while fully expecting that my comment will quoted with a photo of a Corvette in snow with snow tires, but that's a rare exception and not the norm).

It's not a comfortable car to drive with a heavy winter jacket and snow boots. The low centre of gravity, wide tires and salt/brine infested roads are not conducive to a very pleasurable winter driving experience either. The puzzled look on other driver’s faces when they see a Corvette in inclement weather is another story Also hand washing it in the winter is not an option, and the tires may be too wide for most rail-type car washes. Rail-less, touchless car washes around my area all appear to have a 30-45 min queue as soon as the roads are slightly clear, and I am not waiting that long for an automatic car wash. Ever!

This means the average Corvette buyer will require a 2nd (or possibly a 3rd) vehicle in the household. Just look at the tread that was posted not long ago about your other car, and almost everyone had posted photos of multiple vehicles here.

Additional vehicle translates to an additional purchase cost, storage/parking fees, annual plate renewal expense, additional insurance, additional maintenance, oil change, etc etc, and I’d suggest that the added cost of the 2nd/3rd vehicle (necessary due to location/weather) plays a major part.

I have to admit, as much as I like my C7, I too have considered selling it (+ my winter car) in favour of a nice all season friendly vehicle with similar performance; an Audi RS5 fits the bill very nicely.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:09 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Draper
In today's video, I try to tackle a problem that General Motors has been trying to solve for 20 years. Why are millennials not buying new corvettes today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnftacGSFTs
Are you the same Chris Draper, retired Detroit Red Wings goaltender?
Old 02-07-2018, 09:10 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
Actually they spend all their money on Apple cell phones and Starbucks. After doing that there's nothing left over to buy a car.
Amen.
JerriVette (02-08-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:15 PM
WoodyP
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by desibaba
Frickin Sweet! I bought a white vette but red was second choice!! Nice Job!
Old 02-07-2018, 09:22 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Hmm... Mikey Millennial is saddled with five or six figures of college debt, is only a few years down a career path, perhaps a wife and a kid or two and perhaps a house payment and there is a question why Mikey doesn't buy a $60+k two seat sports car... Whoda seen that coming?
JerriVette (02-08-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:51 PM
Baltimoron
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
Are you the same Chris Draper, retired Detroit Red Wings goaltender?
Doubt it. That Chris Draper could afford more Corvette than a used C5. Lol
Old 02-08-2018, 10:35 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy

Also

Corvette image= empty nested and retired

Import Luxury/Sport image= young and successful

Millennial's grew up learning that imports were far superior than domestics. And in the 90's/00's it was true.

why is it so important for younger people to want what some of you own? Sure hope its not for resale jack

Vettes have always been an "old guys" gold chainer car. Guys today are too busy buying nail polish, growing that trendy beard getting tats and blogging to worry about a car. wtf

dont know about you guys but when I was young if I couldnt find a DD musclecar for 2k I hunted for a toyota pickup..to go make money
The suit and tie crowd had vettes. once in awhile youd see a hippy in a C3 lol
These cars are not mainstream popular and have a certain...well reputation lol.

Last edited by cv67; 02-08-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:17 AM
TOPSPOT
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

27, 2019 Z06/07 3LZ with all the options I wanted on order and hopefully will be here next week. I think the biggest issue is that most of us don't use our credit wisely or know the ends and outs of the business game as well as others. There are also some who aren't as fortunate as others or some that have different priorities. Everyone has different situations but as one person said, everything for our age group is ridiculously expensive.

My father had a vette back in the day that was top of the line at the time and fully optioned out (brand new) from the dealer and it ran him less than $30k. When I placed my order, it was top of the line at the time and it is $110K+ which is evident that inflation and times just change. Don't get me started on the housing market in Los Angeles as most of our age group won't buy a home unless they move in their wife/husband and their girlfriend/boyfriend and they all have great paying full time jobs with a side hustle.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:54 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I am pretty sure it's a combination of price and practicality. It's the most impractical car I've had. However a lot of fun.

Get notified of new replies

To Why Millennials are not buying new Corvettes

Old 02-08-2018, 12:55 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by desibaba
I always like to see younger guys keeping up the tradition and buying Corvettes...well done.

Just one thing...

In your second photo of your car from the rear, there's a 4-door sedan parked right next to your driver's side. In my experience, that would be the last place I'd park because if a child carelessly opens that door to get in or out, it might cause some damage to that beautiful red Z06 your driving. At least that's what it looks like from the way I see it.

Just sayin'...

Last edited by ExRedRacer; 02-08-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:31 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

Relative to other sports cars, there are plenty of "Millennials" that purchased a Vette, me being in my 30s, I guess I'm one, if on the older end of the spectrum.

I do agree that the majority of millennials, mostly the younger ones born in 1990 or later, do not have the same passion for cars. They see cars as transportation and the things that they care more about are technology, fashion, image and social media. I see this often with friends who have younger siblings.

The millennials that still finds enjoyment in getting their hands dirty and fixing their own cars are usually born pre-1990. Even though you may not have money to buy a Vette in your teens or 20s, that's when you develop your love for cars by buying a used compact and try to make mods to improve it.

That brings us to the next issue. In order to buy your own car and modify it, you need money. Unless you are born with a silver spoon, you need to work, usually while you also go to HS or college... the good ol' American way . I got my first job at 15.5 yrs old with a provisional permit that limited my hours after school as a minor. But from what I see, many youth today do not want to work like that. I know I'm starting to sound like an angry old dude but I see this with real examples all the time. The younger parents are usually more than willing to baby them which contributes to it.

Of course the biggest player in this is $ and it always will be. The reason why you don't see more millenials buying a Corvette or Porsche is the same as why you don't see many middle class people buying a LaFerrari.

Though @WGGS made a good point about lease programs. A lot of people, young or old, lease European cars because most of the manufacturers have a very attractive lease program. Leases are good for people that wants a new car every 3 years but it also allows some to drive a car that they otherwise can't afford. You can get into a BMW 4 series coupe for about $350/month with $4k drive off. It's a much easier way to look like you are "ballin" . I read that about 65% of all BMWs + other German brands are leases.

A lot of factors come into play and most aren't easily changeable. The way I see it is if GM wants to help bring some interest and passion for cars to the young generation, build a car like the Toyota 86 aka Scion FR-S aka Subaru BRZ. That's a car that many can afford and can be considered as a sporty car. There really aren't many options for a young guy with about 25-30K to spend looking for something sporty.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:03 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXASRANGER
I purchased my first corvette in 1973, 71 big block, I was 25 years old.
But majority 25 year olds couldn’t afford a VW. Nothing has changed in those 45 years..they’re still broke.
Bought my first vette in 1972 at age 21, a one year old 72 L48 350 coupe.

Quick Reply: Why Millennials are not buying new Corvettes