C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the C7 go down as a timeless design?

Old 02-10-2018, 10:09 AM
Olden Slowe
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

My short answer: Yes.
Classic Corvette generations:
C1
C2
C3
Future Classic Corvette generations
C7
C?
Old 02-10-2018, 12:19 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

All Corvettes are timeless designs and the fact is most people can't tell the difference between the 7 generations. However the C7 does seem to strive to look like other cars more. 458 looking headlights, Camaro looking rear end. While the C6 design is 14 years old it still looks modern and new, at least according to people that comment on mine. Of course electronics are different and C7's electronic gizmos will look antique 10 years from now and the same owners that state the C7 will be timeless will be saying the opposite when they drop big money on a C8.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:46 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
You bought a car without ever seeing it....
He could be full of it, I don't know, I have purchased the following cars by email without ever seeing them in person first:

My 2015 Z06 Convertible (courtesy delivery)

....and these were all delivered by truck without me ever seeing them before:

My 2007 V10 Audi S8 (sight unseen from Chicago)
My 1969 Bonneville Brougham (sight unseen from the midwest)
My 1969 Camaro RS/SS 396 (sight unseen from the midwest)
My 1969 Pontiac 2+2 Convert (sight unseen from Canada)

Only the Camaro, Audi, and Corvette were expensive at all.

The only time I've been burned was on the Brougham. It wasn't a "burn" really but it was one of those cars that looked cleaner in the photos than it was.

Otherwise I've been really lucky and still own all but one of those!

And for what it's worth, the dealer I bought the C7 from gave me $40K on my C6 without ever seeing it either, based purely on my declarations and description. So even dealers do it too. Of course had I been lying, they would have come after me I'm sure!

Last edited by davepl; 02-10-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:24 PM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Take a wild guess..........
I'd take the C2 over a C7 any day of the week.
The following 2 users liked this post by JasonAndrew:
Jason Staley (02-11-2018), ojm (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 06:23 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default uh.....

nope
Old 02-10-2018, 06:45 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Depends to me a bit on what the C8 looks like.

I'd definitely go along with that.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:27 AM
Red Alert
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd say it's at least possible it will be a timeless design. Today it certainly seems beautiful, but "timeless" only happens when tastes change (often a few times) and the design can be appreciated "from a distance." Perhaps because it may well be the last front-engine Corvette, it will become "timeless" as a matter of historical significance.

I wonder whether the "creasiness" and angularity will stand the test of time, but the C3 seems timeless to me and it's pretty "sharp" compared to, say the smoothed-down C5 I had for so many years. I think the proportions of the C7 alone may qualify it for "timeless" status eventually.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:37 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

The C3 and the C7 are so much alike in design. No wonder my C7 reminds me so much of my C3. They look and drive so much alike. Excellent observation. ^^^ Other series appear a lot more box like in design.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:20 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

Yes I consider the C7 Stingray as the most beautifully designed Corvette as well of having great techno advances and as well of having great improved interiors. Probably would follow the way of the Lamborghini Countach, Ferrari 308 GTS, Porsche 911, BMW M1 mid engine exotic, De Tomaso Pantera GTS and of some muscle cars like the Mustang Mach 1, Dodge Charger & Pontiac GTO.
Mine for sure is a keeper.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:28 AM
Walter Minnicks
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C7 as a collectors car

I am 70 years old and have had many special cars during my life time from Packard's to Mustang's, and Chevy's of all these different types of vehicles, I made money on them. The C7 is destined to be one of the best cars designs of 2000's and over time will bring good money, however it will takes years to see a growth profit on this gen corvette. However the low number production and low mileage and special one's will always win out. Best thing, buy one and drive the wheels off of it and enjoy memories, it is a great car.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:00 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by dbaker
IMO...no.

Nothing about it is radical in any way.Pretty much a refinement of the C5-C6.Which is good and expected.

I've owned 12 so far,C2-C5,C7.

Here again IMO,The C2 is the most desirable and the most collectible.

\db2
IMHO I disagree. I have seriously looked at C4, C5 and C6 gens when shopping for a new car purchase, but I always ended up buying a Porsche. But when the C7 came out, I thought it was one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen- with a thoroughbred race look that translated so well to the street. It reminded of the Ferrari F12 at a fraction of the cost. I now have a C7 and have been showing it to all my non-car enthusiast neighbors. The reaction is always the same- Wow, I never thought a Corvette looked like this. They even want to bring their friends and family over to my garage to see it.

While I still like all the previous generations, the C2 is the only other generation that I seem to hover and dwell on at the Corvette car shows.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:56 AM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

As far as being timeless, I have no prediction and won't be around long enough to really find out. But I have to agree with those saying the C7 was an instant hit.

I have wanted a Corvette since I was a kid and could never really justify one while raising a family and working as a mechanic. The first time I could convince myself I should get one was 1984. I grew up admiring the C2 and C3 lines and when I looked at the C4 I was heartbroken! It sure didn't look like the Vettes of my youth. In fact, to my eye it looked like just another car. I bought a Z28 Camaro instead because it looked better and was much cheaper.

After that I pretty much ignored the Corvettes thru the entire C4 and C5 runs, and was mildly interested in the C6. A year before I retired, the C7 came out. One picture had me headed to a dealer and one time sitting in it had me signing on the line. I got pretty much screwed on the negotiations and spent a good chunk of my retirement income, but my black 2014 Stingray is sitting in the garage right now and I have no regrets about buying one.

This is not to say the C4, C5 and C6 designs are bad or unworthy of being called Corvettes, but having got the bug from songs in the early 60's touting Stingrays (or Sting Rays) I was in agreement that those generations had not earned the Stingray name. The name fits the C7. As much as I like the wide body look of the Z and GS, the Stingray label is as important to me as the Corvette name.

The first Corvette I remember seeing was a 1965 coupe, and the first one I drove was a brand new 1970 coupe with that sweet little notch back window. For me to buy one, it had to kindle the memories that made me want one in the first place. So yes, if I should happen to live to be older than 100 and you ask me then, I will likely say the design is timeless.

Last edited by TyBoo; 02-11-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:12 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
He could be full of it, I don't know, I have purchased the following cars by email without ever seeing them in person first....
I took his comment to mean that he’d never even seen a photograph of a C7 based on his complaints about how the car looks after he bought it ...”almost barfed...extremely disappointed...cannot get excited about the looks...”. If he didn’t like how it looked, why’d he buy it?

Most guys like yourself who buy a car “sight-unseen” have done their due-diligence in learning all they can about it, including looking at all the pictures and knowing what it looks like and have a good idea of what they’re getting, unlike, apparently, the guy I was referencing.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:25 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

As long as I lived a Corvette was a Stingray....GS is odd for me. Buying a Stingray, did the Beach Boys sing about a GS? lol

Coming around dead man's curve in a GS hahaha or GS summer lol

I was cruisin' in my Stingray late one night
When an XKE pulled up on the right
He rolled down the window of his shiny new Jag
And challenged me then and there to a drag

Last edited by ojm; 02-11-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:08 PM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ojm
As long as I lived a Corvette was a Stingray....GS is odd for me. Buying a Stingray, did the Beach Boys sing about a GS?
Apparently you weren’t paying attention back in the day. See http://www.grandsportvettes.com/63history.htm. Grand Sport has been around a long time.

Last edited by JumpingJackFlash; 02-11-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:32 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash
Apparently you weren’t paying attention back in the day. See http://www.grandsportvettes.com/63history.htm. Grand Sport has been around a long time.
No never knew, admit like the GS but just like the Stingray emblem more..for me a Stingray is a Corvette and a Corvette is a Stingray plain and simple.

Last edited by ojm; 02-11-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:07 PM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ojm
No never knew, admit like the GS but just like the Stingray emblem more..for me a Stingray is a Corvette and a Corvette is a Stingray plain and simple.
FYI: The Corvette “Sting Ray” had been in production from 1963–1967 & 1969–1976, and 2014–present. This is a total of 19 years. However, the Corvette has been around for a total of 67 years.

Get notified of new replies

To Will the C7 go down as a timeless design?

Old 02-11-2018, 04:32 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I agree with those who feel the C5 will be a classic, but don't know about the C7.
However, if the general public comments about the two C3s, the C5 and the C7 count for anything, the C7 will be a classic.
Of the four Vette's we've owned, none of the previous cars comes close to the comments made from others who are not "car folks". 'Gorgeous', 'Stunning', 'Best Looking Car I've Ever Seen' are just a few of the comments I've gotten from total strangers. I had one young lady follow the C7 into a grocery store parking lot. When I stopped, she pulled up along side and asked if I'd let her wash it. I declined as I didn't think the wife would appreciate the offer.
So apparently the general public really admires the C7.

Last edited by roadbike56; 02-11-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:38 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
I agree with those who feel the C5 will be a classic, but don't know about the C7.
However, if the general public comments about the two C3s, the C5 and the C7 count for anything, the C7 will be a classic.
Of the four Vette's we've owned, none of the previous cars comes close to the comments made from others who are not "car folks". 'Gorgeous', 'Stunning', 'Best Looking Car I've Ever Seen' are just a few of the comments I've gotten from total strangers. I had one young lady follow the C7 into a grocery store parking lot. When I stopped, she pulled up along side and asked if I'd let her wash it. I declined as I didn't think the wife would appreciate the offer.
Are you sure she meant the car?
Old 02-11-2018, 04:42 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
My non-car guy neighbors have had the same reaction and regularly bring their family and friends by to see it. They had no idea a Corvette looked like this. I have even had strangers ask if they could take a picture of it. I have total confidence that the C7 will be timeless. So much so that I plan to keep it as long as possible and not sell it when I go to buy something new. This is not something I have ever done before and regretted when I sold my 1967 Mustang GT 390 fastback in the Bullitt green, and one of the last hand made in Zuffenhausen 1989 Porsche 911 Targas in a rare color called Coral Metallic, etc etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will the C7 go down as a timeless design?