Sponsored by:

A Different Spring Mountain Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 02:34 AM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Just did the Owner School Jan 29-30 (Mon-Tue).

My first difference is that I'm a retread, did the school (Bragg-Smith at that time) on my own dime in 2001 after we bought our new C5.
Back then- no dark exteriors or black interiors because of sun/heat.
No automatics because of overheating problems. They started trying to run in the summer just after I finished, not sure how well it worked out. Only one track layout, no tunnel for entry. No restaurant or accommodations. Billboards along the highway advertising the local cat houses. But the instruction was almost identical (good!).

My second difference is something that I fortunately did not experience back then- car trouble, on our own personal Corvette. This time we drove out from the Chicago area on new Michelin AS3+ runflats from Discount Tires, straight south into Arkansas because of a blizzard in the Midwest, then I-40 toward Las Vegas, arriving on Friday. On Saturday we decided to tour Death Valley, drove about an hour and stopped for gas outside the park. Walking back to the car, I saw the right-rear tire had a split near the bead. It was still holding air but obviously not safe, so we got on the phone and discovered the nearest Discount Tires was near Las Vegas, so phone-ordered a new tire from Big O tires in Pharump, to arrive on Tuesday (last day of school). We drove carefully back tp Pahrump, expecting we would need a rental or taxi for the next few days.

My wife suggested we stop at the track and see if they had any advice. It's now a membership club with a gate, so while I was explaining our situation to the guard, it just happened that Frank Carlson (Track Supervisor) pulled up behind us and got the story. Without hesitation, he said "Follow me!" and we saw him talking on his phone as we drove in. By the time we got to one of the shops, they had a C7 Z51 jacked up and ready to pull one of the wheels with a AS3+ they'd used for some event! Frank said he'd be happy to sell us the almost new tire for a good price, but it turned out to be a non-runflat version. So they put their wheel/tire on our car as a loaner, removed our damaged tire from its wheel and inspected the wheel (not bent!), and said they'd take care of everything while we were in class next week.
Come Monday, Chief Driving Instructor Rick Malone was teaching our first classroom session, and during the break I explained our situation and asked how we would get the new tire over to the track and installed in time for us to leave Tuesday afternoon. He told me to pay Big O by phone with a credit card, and the school would take care of the rest. He wasn't kidding.
Tuesday morning they sent someone to pick up the new tire. While we were in class/track they mounted & balanced it, pulled the car into the shop (same building as our classroom!), switched the wheels/tires and trained the sensors. When class was over, we hopped in and drove away!
The charge from Spring Mountain? $0.00
Wow, what a great bunch of people!
Yes, I gave tips but never felt like anyone was looking for that.

BTW, I had purchased the road hazard coverage from Discount Tires when I bought the AS tires. Stopping near Phoenix, the DT store there reimbursed me the purchase price I had originally paid (slightly less than what I had to give Big O which was still a reasonable price) and charged me ~$50 for another road hazard coverage on the new tire. All in all, I ended up being out of pocket by about $75 which was a pretty good deal under the circumstances.
Hi Jim!
so glad it all worked out, and sorry I missed you! I wanted to meet ya to see if you remembered me, as I've been at the track since 1998.
Frank called me and explained the situation to me, so with his big help, I directed my east shop to get you rolling again, no pun intended.
and yes, those zero pressure tires are awesome!
we definitely will let him know your thanks, and hope you make the trek back out west again soon!
cheers!

The Official Performance Driving School Of Corvette
www.racespringmountain.com
victor@racespringmountain.com
800-391-6891

Old 02-13-2018, 10:53 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Victor-
Rick mentioned you as one of the old hands from back then, sorry we missed you.
My wife came along this time and really enjoyed a ride-along with the instructor!
Jim
Old 02-13-2018, 11:08 AM
NickG-Z06
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

This is an amazing story, and just goes to show you that "Corvette people" are the best!
Old 02-13-2018, 11:39 AM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 666 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Great story all around for both Discount Tire and Spring Mountain!
I've not had the opportunity to experience Spring Mountain, but did have a great occurrence - somewhat the same - with Discount Tire. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience!

Quick Reply: A Different Spring Mountain Review