Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Corvette Clubs Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 560 Likes on 362 Posts

We have a very active club in Northern California (Santa Clara Corvettes sccorvettes.org). Car shows, auto-x, socials, trips, lots of things. We are also active helping local cities and charities. We have a number of sponsors and get some nice discounts on car sales, parts and servicing (the last time I bought tires my out-the-door price was less than the tires at TireRack before shipping).

This morning about a dozen of us met at a local car show then drove the foothills to a restaurant for lunch.

As others have said, find a club that does things you enjoy. It's a great way to meet new friends.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:45 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Corvettes International is one of two clubs in the Raleigh NC area. There are two major benefits to joining a Corvette club. One is the social aspect from purely social activities to travelling together to Corvette events it offers folks with a common interest an opportunity.
The other is the technical aspect. Every meeting someone brings up a technical question or reports on something that happened with their car. I've had several questions answered by other club members who had experience with the topic presented.
Attached Images  

Last edited by roadbike56; 02-11-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:14 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I belong to a Corvette Club and enjoy it very much. Dues are $30 per family (husband/wife/so). We have done several overnight trips to Charlotte toured hendricks museum and drove on Charlotte motor speedway, to Bowling Green toured the museum, plant, drove on the track and in a few weeks going to VIR to drive on the track. usually involves 10-15 cars going as group. We also try do monthly cruises to various places. we also meet once a month at a local restaurant for a meeting and dinner. always a great time
Old 02-11-2018, 07:17 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 560 Likes on 362 Posts

Also, check local club's websites. If they look interesting attend a couple of events and talk to members. We're always happy to have guests unless attendance is limited for some reason.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:19 PM
segen77
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Following to see if anyone has any info on Dallas area clubs.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:35 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,216 Likes on 3,459 Posts

Having been to a variety of car club gatherings, I never joined any because they were just toooooo freakin' BORING! The attendees, with an occasional rare exception, spent by far the bulk of the time BSed about everything but cars!
Old 02-11-2018, 09:32 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Corvette Owners

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
There's a good reason why. Look at who's driving C7s - many are senior citizens of Social Security age+ driving them.
The scores of senior citizens in their 60s and 70s and 80s are a dominant age group among Corvette owners.
I am one of the old guy's your talking about, 60 And yes I agree. Mostly because the younger crowd can't afford a C7. I waited 40 Years to get my first Corvette. Except for my bad back from a car wreck ( I wasn't the Driver ) most of the younger crowd couldn't keep up with me. there's nothing wrong with the older crown owning Corvette's it's just like Harley Davidson's. My car was owned by one the older guys who really took great care of it. I am thinking of joining a local club. Maybe
Attached Images    
Old 02-11-2018, 11:17 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

The Mrs and I have been involved with Corvette Clubs for the last 30+ years, joined our first one when we were in our early 20's Each time we moved, we sought out a club in the area we moved to, ie: WI, AZ,back to WI, then MO.

Meeting people with the same hobby, always made the transition easier. For us, it was always important to participate in the club events. Not all the time, but when we were able. The more you attend, the more people you will meet and get to know, thus making it more easier to go to the next event... I Feel, you get out of something what you put into it.

Will you always like everything about every club? No, That is un-realistic. Some people just suck, but hopefully, the more you meet, you will find more uncommon and enjoy going.

Check it out it will take owning a Corvette to the next level of enjoyment.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:39 PM
ShadowB
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by NCThirteen
I joined a club when I had my 1st C7. I signed up to an event that the club was going to and was told there was a club dinner the night before. I arrived at the dinner only to find out that the "click" with in the club decided to go to dinner elsewhere leaving people not in the know about 5 of us to eat with each other and not with the rest of the club. The next morning in the hotel parking lot there were a lot of club members getting ready to head to the event. In stead of leaving together in a organized way everyone left when they felt like it. I walked around introducing myself but I felt like a stranger and not welcome. I am not saying all the clubs are like this, but I am hesitant about paying to join another and no I did not renew my membership.
I’m an elected member in our club and see this to some degree, we aren’t that rude though and we try to make sure to embrace and make all our members welcome and included, but even then members drift into groups. I also belong to a less informal car group and have more fun. Clubs feel like it’s mandatory - informal feels like you go because you want to.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:43 AM
GregNYC
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm in a small club in NYC and I really like it. I joined in September 2017 about 3 months before buying the car (their bylaws give you up to a year). I learned a lot from the folks, and they helped advise me on my car purchase, and I got a great deal on a great car. Lots of new friends and knowledge.

It's like a family. No mandatory events, some of the events are mellow and low key. There are charity events, dinners, holiday parties, car shows, cruises, and people get along really well.

About 10 of the members are going to the Corvette Owner's Course at Spring Mountain in April (that would have been cool, but because of scheduling conflicts, I went last month).
Old 02-12-2018, 05:15 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You've got to see if it fits your interests. My Mercedes-Benz Club is a sanctioned one by MBCA. Their activities run the gamut monthly & annually. They also have hands-on DIY tech sessions, where you work on your own car at authorized Mercedes-Benz dealerships. That's probably not very widespread, IMO. I posted for such a Corvette club in my area, and there was zero response. I'm thinking that there aren't any Corvette clubs that have DIY tech sessions. I've learned a lot over the past 20 years wrenching on my own Mercedes by these tech DIY sessions.
I used to read about such Corv. clubs as your MB club occasionally and I think one in my general area used to have an occasional, in-dealer meeting w. a Corv. tech present. For whatever reason, I don't read, or know of any such clubs now. Maybe the interests of the members have changed, or in the few cases that I recall, there are fewer dealers that either sponsor/support a Corv. club or want to dedicate the time of a tech, and the space at the dealership, even after hours. It's still a good idea though.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:52 AM
woodsguy
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

There's a good reason why. Look at who's driving C7s - many are senior citizens of Social Security age+ driving them.
The scores of senior citizens in their 60s and 70s and 80s are a dominant age group among Corvette owners.
guilty
Old 02-12-2018, 10:16 AM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffs64
I am one of the old guy's your talking about, 60 And yes I agree. Mostly because the younger crowd can't afford a C7. I waited 40 Years to get my first Corvette. Except for my bad back from a car wreck ( I wasn't the Driver ) most of the younger crowd couldn't keep up with me. there's nothing wrong with the older crown owning Corvette's it's just like Harley Davidson's. My car was owned by one the older guys who really took great care of it. I am thinking of joining a local club. Maybe
Im 34 and I just bought my brand new 2018 z06 2lz auto with PDR. I went to the local corvette club and it didnt look like a nursing home. It looked like a hospice facility where the grim reaper was ready to take most of the club members. Not one guy in my age group there. If I wanted to hang out with senile geriatrics with Alzheimer or dementia id rather do volunteer work at a nursing home and help them out than waste my time at the corvette club. I dont see why these old guys are wasting their kid's inheritance on cars they cant even get in and out of nor drive them fast safely.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Zo62018A8; 02-12-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:24 AM
jax_c7
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by desibaba
Im 34 and I just bought my brand new 2018 z06 2lz auto with PDR. I went to the local corvette club and it didnt look like a nursing home. It looked like a hospice facility where the grim reaper was ready to take most of the club members. Not one guy in my age group there. If I wanted to hang out with senile geriatrics with Alzheimer or dementia id rather do volunteer work at a nursing home and help them out than waste my time at the corvette club. I dont see why these old guys are wasting their kid's inheritance on cars they cant even get in and out of nor drive them fast safely.
Pretty much sums it up for me -- most folks are older than 60 from what I've seen. No thanks!
Old 02-12-2018, 10:40 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Then by all means don't join. Who wants to hang out with people that don't street race or go to the local drag strip to prove their metal or maybe big parking lots to run around pylons real fast or what ever gets that tingle down your leg or up your leg?

I'm sure that you will be the exception and never age and grow old gracefully!

Only 2 sure things in life... Death and taxes.

I've paid my dues and I can do anything I like as long as it's lawful (except referee soccer again).

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 02-12-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:53 AM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by jax_c7
Pretty much sums it up for me -- most folks are older than 60 from what I've seen. No thanks!
Id be pretty pissed if my 70+ parents started blowing my inheritance cash on these dumb purchases. When I worked at CarMax we regularly got people coming in saying my dad/husband passed away and we have his 4 year old like new Vette with 3k miles on it that we want to sell. We would give them a lowball cash offer and they still sell the car to us anyway to get their cash out of it and they didnt want to deal with the headache of selling it privately. I remember taking in a super clean Vette from the son of a recently deceased customer and I gave him $28k for it. The car needed no reconditioning other than a full detailing and less than a week later we sold it for $38k. Easy $10k profit

Last edited by Zo62018A8; 02-12-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:03 AM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

What a sad commentary. Hey, most of us senile old geriatrics served our country in the military so you could express such a denigrating opinion of older people.
The following 5 users liked this post by Italianfox:
1stTimeforEverything (02-12-2018), AttyVette (02-12-2018), DWS44 (02-12-2018), F4Gary (02-12-2018), runner61627 (02-13-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Are Corvette Clubs Worth It?

Old 02-12-2018, 11:04 AM
deemer
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

WOW The words you used to describe my generation of human beings really could have been toned down. Show some respect, remember you have what you have because of what our generation did for you. As far as the inheritance comment goes, there is nothing saying we are required to leave an inheritance. The truth be know, in terms of money, we have already spent more on our grand children than we have left to give. Someday, the good Lord willing, you will be in the geriatric group. Please live long and prosper.
The following 2 users liked this post by deemer:
AttyVette (02-12-2018), DWS44 (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 11:08 AM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

[QUOTE=desibaba;1596574592]Id be pretty pissed if my 70+ parents started blowing my inheritance cash on these dumb purchases.

We don't save and invest for you to get an inheritance.
The following 3 users liked this post by Italianfox:
AttyVette (02-12-2018), DWS44 (02-12-2018), Soonere39 (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 11:12 AM
deemer
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Id be pretty pissed if my 70+ parents started blowing my inheritance cash on these dumb purchases. When I worked at CarMax we regularly got people coming in saying my dad/husband passed away and we have his 4 year old like new Vette with 3k miles on it that we want to sell. We would give them a lowball cash offer and they still sold the car to us anyway to get their cash out of it and they didnt want to get with the headache of selling it privately. I remember taking in a super clean Vette from the son of a recently deceased customer and I gave him $28k for it. The car needed no reconditioning other than a full detailing and less than a week later we sold it for $38k. Easy $10k profit
How SAD is it when someone gets upset that someone only thinks about themselves. U really can't tell me that you would get upset if your parent's bought something that makes them happy while they are still on earth. If you do, I honestly feel sorry for you!!!!!!!
The following 5 users liked this post by deemer:
AttyVette (02-12-2018), DWS44 (02-12-2018), jeffs64 (02-12-2018), Mike Mercury (02-13-2018), Soonere39 (02-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Are Corvette Clubs Worth It?