Sponsored by:

How much is my car worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 11:04 AM
KnOmEeZy
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eZg
I'm new to the vette world.......but not the Modding world. I sank over $35K into an Infiniti TT build.

Most guy in JDM world part out then sell the car. Pain in the *** but yeilds the most money.

Good Luck regardless!
yeah, gone that route before, hoping to avoid it
Old 02-13-2018, 11:34 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Most Corvette buyers that I know are looking for a low mileage garage queen that was left factory stock. Oh, and something owned and maintained by grandpa, not some 20 something kid's street racer.

Your car is one that I would like to see at a car show, but certainly not one that I would purchase. Who knows what kind of problems will rise to the surface after driving that monster around for a few months! Then again, not EVERY buyer is like me. Your best bet is finding a 20 something kid looking for a rocket who doesn't have the coin for a Z06.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:41 AM
KnOmEeZy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Billy346
Most Corvette buyers that I know are looking for a low mileage garage queen that was left factory stock. Oh, and something owned and maintained by grandpa, not some 20 something kid's street racer.

Your car is one that I would like to see at a car show, but certainly not one that I would purchase. Who knows what kind of problems will rise to the surface after driving that monster around for a few months! Then again, not EVERY buyer is like me. Your best bet is finding a 20 something kid looking for a rocket who doesn't have the coin for a Z06.
I am 33 years old.

I guess I should be looking for more people like me who race the cars. Its hard for me to understand the concept of a garage queen corvette, imho they are the cheapest entry level sports car, mass produced by Chevy. So it's hard for me to differentiate between a corvette, camaro, and mustang.

a garage queen for me would be Lamborghini or McLaren, something you don't see 100 times on your drive home from the supermarket you know?

funny enough, I've yet to have any issues from this particular car, vs the others I have that are built for racing. Granted, this is more of a summertime beater, top down, beach town, **** off the neighbors at 2am car.

maybe I am in my 20s again
Old 02-13-2018, 11:58 AM
eZg
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well ....how much do YOU think it's worth.....or rather what is the least you would sell it for?

Not being a smart *** at all. $60K?
Old 02-13-2018, 11:59 AM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by KnOmEeZy
So it's hard for me to differentiate between a corvette, camaro, and mustang.
Uh oh.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:03 PM
KnOmEeZy
Instructor

Originally Posted by eZg
well ....how much do YOU think it's worth.....or rather what is the least you would sell it for?

Not being a smart *** at all. $60K?
55k seems reasonable to me, I guess, that's what I would expect to pay for it

I was planning to list it around $59,995 and then be talked down

Last edited by KnOmEeZy; 02-13-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:19 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

I am 33 years old.

I guess I should be looking for more people like me who race the cars. Its hard for me to understand the concept of a garage queen corvette, imho they are the cheapest entry level sports car, mass produced by Chevy. So it's hard for me to differentiate between a corvette, camaro, and mustang.

a garage queen for me would be Lamborghini or McLaren, something you don't see 100 times on your drive home from the supermarket you know?

funny enough, I've yet to have any issues from this particular car, vs the others I have that are built for racing. Granted, this is more of a summertime beater, top down, beach town, **** off the neighbors at 2am car.

maybe I am in my 20s again
I think you have a distorted view of what a "cheap, entry level" sports car is. When I think "cheap, entry level" for sports car, I think Hyundai Veloster or a Honda Civic Si. These could easily serve as the "reasonably priced car" for Top Gear. I can attest with some certainty that a Corvette (or even a Mustang or Camaro for that matter) is quite upmarket from a true "entry level" sports car. Unless you are the type of guy who already has a stable full of Lamborghini, Ferrari, and Zonda.

Granted $100,000.00 is alot of money to have tied up in a car. Unless you have the cash flow of Tony Montana from Scarface, taking a $60,000.00 hit on a $100,000.00 investment is painful. But that's the name of the game with toys. Sell the car for what its worth and move on.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:28 PM
KnOmEeZy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Billy346
I think you have a distorted view of what a "cheap, entry level" sports car is. When I think "cheap, entry level" for sports car, I think Hyundai Veloster or a Honda Civic Si. These could easily serve as the "reasonably priced car" for Top Gear. I can attest with some certainty that a Corvette (or even a Mustang or Camaro for that matter) is quite upmarket from a true "entry level" sports car. Unless you are the type of guy who already has a stable full of Lamborghini, Ferrari, and Zonda.

Granted $100,000.00 is alot of money to have tied up in a car. Unless you have the cash flow of Tony Montana from Scarface, taking a $60,000.00 hit on a $100,000.00 investment is painful. But that's the name of the game with toys. Sell the car for what its worth and move on.
I do well enough to be comfortable, and have a few toys in the garage, and more in the various shops that keep them hostage most of the year.

I just think you guys are undervaluing your vehicles. Granted I see how nonsensical I am trying to see an increased value in my mass produced chevy hotrod. Lol.

I guess it's partout or wait to find someone looking for a modified car (trust me they exist)
Old 02-13-2018, 12:30 PM
KnOmEeZy
Instructor

I would never consider a veloster or a civic si to be a sports car though... I have a hard enough time seeing a civic r as a sports car.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:41 PM
GTRSOLO
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts

If it were me, I'd get it tuned and dialed in. Take it to the track/strip. Show that it's a bad *** car all day long with no issues. Then have a for sale sign on it it at the same time. People that will respect what it is and the value of the mods would be the audience that may pay what you need/want for the car. This audience would also be less intimidated regarding the mods as this crowd would have likely turned a few wrenches before and not mind possibly having to work on it.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:42 PM
KnOmEeZy
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTRSOLO
If it were me, I'd get it tuned and dialed in. Take it to the track/strip. Show that it's a bad *** car all day long with no issues. Then have a for sale sign on it it at the same time. People that will respect what it is and the value of the mods would be the audience that may pay what you need/want for the car. This audience would also be less intimidated regarding the mods as this crowd would have likely turned a few wrenches before and not mind possibly having to work on it.
good advice, thanks
Old 02-13-2018, 12:53 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

I've been actively looking for a later model C6 GS to replace my "garage queen" LS2, whenever I get to one that starts to list mods I turn the page. My thinking, you mod a car for one thing, to run the snot out of it, nothing more, even from stoplight to stoplight. I don't care if you prove to me you only used the car for Church on Sunday, I'm not touching it. Just my opinion...good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:54 PM
KnOmEeZy
Instructor

Originally Posted by RobLo
I've been actively looking for a later model C6 GS to replace my "garage queen" LS2, whenever I get to one that starts to list mods I turn the page. My thinking, you mod a car for one thing, to run the snot out of it, nothing more, even from stoplight to stoplight. I don't care if you prove to me you only used the car for Church on Sunday, I'm not touching it. Just my opinion...good luck with whatever you decide.
interesting opinion.

I'm curious, what do you buy a car for, if not to drive it the way it was built to be driven?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:58 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

[QUOTE=KnOmEeZy;1596582698]I just think you guys are undervaluing your vehicles. /QUOTE]

Well, the problem is what someone will pay for them. You can read all the data and come to a reasonable conclusion but the proof is in what exactly someone is willing to pay. There is and always will be that difference...the demand/supply for modified or even totally original C7's is what sets the valuation but hey, you already know this. Good luck with your sale...

Last edited by jimmie jam; 02-13-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:02 PM
KnOmEeZy
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
I just think you guys are undervaluing your vehicles.
Well, the problem is what someone will pay for them. You can read all the data and come to a reasonable conclusion but the proof is in what exactly someone is willing to pay. There is and always will be that difference...the demand/supply for modified or even totally original C7's is what sets the valuation but hey, you already know this. Good luck with your sale...
you are totally right
Old 02-13-2018, 01:18 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't see a lot of supercharged C7s for sale. Your stock Z51 with the miles on it is worth right at $40K here in central Texas. '14s are showing up for less than $40 regularly now. You might be better off taking the mods off and selling them separately like was mentioned before.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:31 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

I suspect you will get more putting it back to stock. Even when I loved modding cars, I would never buy a pre-modded car. I view it as buying someone else’s headache. I always preferred to build it up myself. Your challenge is even greater in the C7 world, given the average Corvette guy is older and never goes much over the speed limit. Look at the average thread, more people trying to turn the C7 into a Cadillac than a race car.

Get notified of new replies

To How much is my car worth?

Old 02-13-2018, 01:32 PM
KnOmEeZy
Instructor

Originally Posted by rb185afm
I suspect you will get more putting it back to stock. Even when I loved modding cars, I would never buy a pre-modded car. I view it as buying someone else’s headache. I always preferred to build it up myself. Your challenge is even greater in the C7 world, given the average Corvette guy is older and never goes much over the speed limit. Look at the average thread, more people trying to turn the C7 into a Cadillac than a race car.
lol you may be right.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:52 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Maybe a way to look at it is to see what someone could buy an untouched ZO6 of that vintage with similar mileage. I know they don't compare, but someone looking for something with that much power could choose between a Z06 or your car, the Z06 hasn't been wrenched on could push them that way. Unless you find a specific buyer looking for your mods, then you may be in a tough spot trying to get top dollar.

If you're out pricing the Z06 then you are narrowing your market down considerably, you are essentially saying you want to sell it to someone that is looking for that configuration and you'll have to find that person to get top dollar. If you price competitively to the Z06, then you open up your market.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:58 PM
smhigh
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm looking for a car like yours but has to pass Calif emissions. A&A superchargers have a CARB so that works but can't have any other mods like headers or air cleaners permanently on the car for the bi annual smog. I'd gladly purchase a modified working car with the drag pack or other mods for the drag strip.

Selling a modified car is hard and painful as you lose money. I recently sold my 10 second Nova and trailer after a year of trying and took a huge loss.

Finding a CA legal C7 Z51 automatic in Black with that A&A supercharger is going to be tough and nothing on this site has appeared.......I'll be looking at the drag strip when we begin racing again in March.

Get your car dialed in and see if someone like me sees it and wants what you have built.

GLWS

Quick Reply: How much is my car worth?