Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 C7 Navigation Map Update

Old 02-13-2018, 12:40 PM
Tom's '07 Monty
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 2016 C7 Navigation Map Update

I understand the map update or software is available. I have a 2016 Stingray Z51 Coupe.

Anyone have suggestions, advice or info on where, how much to spend or DIY on updating my maps? I did a search on the Forum but nothing came up for the C7. Thanks.

Last edited by Tom's '07 Monty; 02-13-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:49 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

try this

http://gmnavdisc.navigation.com/en_US/GMNA/USD
The following users liked this post:
richie15 (03-22-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 01:06 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

That's the only place to get it. They are now tied to your vehicle VIN, so they can't be "shared". It comes on a USB "thumb drive".
mdb917 (03-22-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 01:08 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Try this - https://www.android.com/auto/. You'll never have to update again...
Old 02-13-2018, 01:15 PM
Rjs05coupe
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default map update

Originally Posted by Tom's '07 Monty
I understand the map update or software is available. I have a 2016 Stingray Z51 Coupe.

Anyone have suggestions, advice or info on where, how much to spend or DIY on updating my maps? I did a search on the Forum but nothing came up for the C7. Thanks.
why bother updating if you have a IPhone all corvettes 2016 and newer have apple car play you can bring the maps from the phone up on the corvette screen
Tom's '07 Monty (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 04:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

If you are having any issues with roads missing I would wait a couple of months until the 2019 version comes out. The biggest problem with GM Updates is the lack of update. It can take several years for a major road like a new Interstate to get added to the file. Back in 2010 when I had my 2008 Z06 I was visiting a friend who had been living on a road in NC for 10 years. His road wasn't included on my Nav system. Not sure what they were doing but there wasn't any reason for it not to be included other than being very, very, very slow.

Bill
Old 02-13-2018, 06:22 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you are having any issues with roads missing I would wait a couple of months until the 2019 version comes out. The biggest problem with GM Updates is the lack of update. It can take several years for a major road like a new Interstate to get added to the file. Back in 2010 when I had my 2008 Z06 I was visiting a friend who had been living on a road in NC for 10 years. His road wasn't included on my Nav system. Not sure what they were doing but there wasn't any reason for it not to be included other than being very, very, very slow.

Bill
Which is exactly why you should jettison the factory nav and use AA or CP. They are updated constantly.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:00 PM
2many2count
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

i use an I-phone and use an app called waze for all of my travels. Directions are spot on and detours are given in the event of an accident or heavy traffic. Oh, and BTW it also tells you where the LEO'S are in real time. Other features are numerous and never needs to be updated. WAZE is the way to go.
speed4tu (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 01:38 AM
geewez
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 117 Posts

Does a new car include any map updates while it is still in warranty within the first three years?
Old 02-14-2018, 04:35 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 2many2count
i use an I-phone and use an app called waze for all of my travels. Directions are spot on and detours are given in the event of an accident or heavy traffic. Oh, and BTW it also tells you where the LEO'S are in real time. Other features are numerous and never needs to be updated. WAZE is the way to go.
IMHO, Waze sucks, compared to Google Maps. Here's my reasoning:

1. Alerts; Rarely get them - even when I can clearly see it on the map. Most times what they say is there isn't there. Can you say false sense of security - sure you can.

2. Waze does not tell me what lane I need to be in for an exit on multi-laned highway. GM does and it's very useful when when you got 7 lanes to cross...

3. Route display: Waze's is poor. You see 3 cards with a line below them and then their traffic/construction icons. No way to tell where exactly the traffic is along your route. With GM the map shrinks down and you see 3 different routes color coded for traffic and with an indication if it's 10 minutes slower or 4 minutes slower for routes B and C.

4. Really don't need Waze advertising to me to stop and get a burger at a red light... (this may have been fixed)

Edit: Additional observations...

I just got back from driving from San Diego to Carmel for Tommy Emmanuel's Guitar Camp (with Joe Satriani holding his own camp at the same facility!). So I thought I'd run Waze one way and Google Maps the other way. Sorry to say but I had to stop using Waze! In addition to the above:

5. Does not apparently support multiple stops. So you're driving and say search for "Denny's nearby". It finds it and sets a route for the one you select - and then discards your current route! Just damn forgets it. I mean yes it's in a recents list but it did not add your stop at Denny's as an additional stop!

6. It draws a horrible map! When driving say on I-5 here in California, it'll zoom out which is OK. But the route drawn on the map then gets about 3 times thicker than when you are zoomed in and it looks like crap. Doesn't seem to zoom in properly when a turn is upcoming and if you zoom in to try to fix the too fat for it's own good line it'll just zoom out some time later. (This may have been fixed)

7. I occasionally lose the route if I say stop at 7-11 and take my phone with me.

The biggest reason people cite for using Waze is the alerts like when LEO are around, but mostly they are false alarms as guess what? LEO are in cars and cars tend to move around.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:49 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by geewez
Does a new car include any map updates while it is still in warranty within the first three years?
No, you get what is the most recent map when the car is built. After delivery, it's on you to get any updates. (actually when the nav module is built...)
Old 02-14-2018, 08:38 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Nav in these cars is crap. I use my iPhone. I'm not paying GM to update crap.
nwalker (12-01-2020)
Old 02-14-2018, 12:14 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 472 Likes on 280 Posts

Well, this is going to be embarrassing to show my ignorance and lack of sophistication but, here goes.
I haven't owned or used a smart phone since i had to give up my company blackberry when i retired more than a few years ago. I doubt I've ever come close to using the 200 minutes/month on my current cell phone plan.

I've finally decided to get a smart phone that will integrate with my 2016 Z51, primarily for navigation on annual cross country road trips, which will avoid costs of regularly updating the less than optimum GM nav system
Looks like waze and google maps are the best options, so I am looking at Android Auto with a galaxy S7.

My stupid question is this? Under normal use, 3 gb of data would be more than I would ever use. But using phone nav for 8 hrs/day while travelling for two weeks each summer, will 3-5 gigs of data be enough or must I spring for an unlimited data plan which will then be underutilized for 10 months each year?
Old 02-14-2018, 12:30 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I've upgraded a couple of times with different vehicles, and IMO it is not worth it. Even if they brag about 50,000 changes, the likelihood that those will affect you is small. Yes, you can use something like Android Auto, but this is a pain in the butt. You have to hook your phone up and deal with the cables every single time. If you must, use the phone separately for Google Maps or Waze (which DOES use data.) It's a lot easier.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:40 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by blueray16
Well, this is going to be embarrassing to show my ignorance and lack of sophistication but, here goes.
I haven't owned or used a smart phone since i had to give up my company blackberry when i retired more than a few years ago. I doubt I've ever come close to using the 200 minutes/month on my current cell phone plan.
Seems to me that nobody really uses 200 minutes/month anymore. Personally I use Hangouts which I can use on my laptop or phone. It provides me the ability to make free phone calls throughout the US and doesn't use any minutes.

I've finally decided to get a smart phone that will integrate with my 2016 Z51, primarily for navigation on annual cross country road trips, which will avoid costs of regularly updating the less than optimum GM nav system
Looks like waze and google maps are the best options, so I am looking at Android Auto with a galaxy S7.
I use an S7. Get a proclip mount and be sure to use a data cable to connect to the car's USB. A data cable is different than just a cable to charge the phone. You can tell you have a data cable if you plug it into a PC and the PC offers to mount the internal storage as a drive on your computer. Most often you can just use the cable that you got with the phone as that will probably be a data cable.

My stupid question is this? Under normal use, 3 gb of data would be more than I would ever use. But using phone nav for 8 hrs/day while travelling for two weeks each summer, will 3-5 gigs of data be enough or must I spring for an unlimited data plan which will then be underutilized for 10 months each year?
Depends. Personally I have unlimited data so I never worry about it. Then again most of the time my phone is connected to WiFi either at home or at work so I'm using no data. When I'm out and about and using say AA yes it will use some date. Here's a fact: You can go into Google Maps and download mapping data for an area. Do so when on WiFi and you'll already have your mapping data for offline use. As I often hike and as it's often out in nowhere's land, I will go into Google Maps and download the area before I go hiking. I have like a 128 Gig sdcard for pictures and videos, etc so I just store a bunch of map data there for the San Diego area where I live. I also have all my music on my phone so I don't need to stream it and incur extra charges and suffer dropouts in remote areas.

I think there'll still be some internet data traffic in order to get things like traffic conditions and updates to mapping data.

So unless you are really using your phone for 8 hours of driving (which I doubt) for 2 weeks and maybe doing a cross country thing (IOW if you're staying in the area you already have downloaded mapping data for) you should be find with a small amount on your data plan. If not then up it.

I'm very much into using AA and feel free to contact me if you have any problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by defaria:
blueray16 (02-14-2018), TyBoo (03-16-2019)
Old 02-14-2018, 01:41 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Try this - https://www.android.com/auto/. You'll never have to update again...
Old 02-14-2018, 01:43 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by 2many2count

but waze eats up data like crazy

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 C7 Navigation Map Update

Old 02-14-2018, 02:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Which is exactly why you should jettison the factory nav and use AA or CP. They are updated constantly.
I am planning on updating the Nav in my 15 once the 2019 update comes out. By that time they will have the major Interstate that opened 6 days after the car was produced in the database. Other than that the factory system works fine other than not displaying the speed limit on the Nav screen. Not sure why they moved it to an info display on the DIC.

Bill
Old 02-14-2018, 04:39 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

IMO the "best" turnkey navigation solution is yet to be found, and my experience with GM's nav, iPhone CarPlay/Apple maps and Waze show that each has their unique "issues" with either being cumbersome to implement and use, dealing with a brain dead verbal interface or software chewing data like it was candy....
My "solution" for local driving is to use the GM nav and either suffer "talking" with Nancy the NavNazzi or manually enter the information, and when going on a trip to unknown locations, back it up with Waze or Google Maps on my iPhone as best fits the situation (however, to give Nancy credit, she was able to direct me to a fairly obscure winery in the Sierra Nevada foothills after the three tries it took to get her to understand "Ironstone", the name of the winery)
FWIW, I bought the USB update to get the '18 map updates for the obscene amount of $164 shipped, and will likely not update it for another 2-3 years...
Old 02-14-2018, 05:44 PM
tarepas
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Instructions?

How do you install the update or does the dealer do it? THX

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 C7 Navigation Map Update