Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change disaster

Old 02-14-2018, 12:41 PM
5150mike
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by muncie21
Can't tell from the OP if the software update was done during the oil change, resulting in the would not start and theft deterrent messages OR if the software update was made as a part of troubleshooting the error messages.

If the update was done during a routine oil change, yes I'd be pissed, esp. if it was done without asking me first, regardless if I'm tuned or not. If the software was updated during troubleshooting, my condolences.

From the sound of your symptoms (rotten eggs, high temp, running rough) I'd guess that you were running very lean, which causes higher than normal temps.
yeah,,, update was done as a fix for error msg
Old 02-14-2018, 12:46 PM
5150mike
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by YO-EL
OP can easily take it back to the shop who did the final tune..
I'm sure the file is saved.

The issue is dealers, even when performing a specific task, will normally check and install any factory updates to keep the car current, even if not asked.

The problem/question is, did the OP mention NOT to do anything other than the oil change? If he did and dealer still updated, dealer is at fault, and I feel subject to any damages/costs.

There's nothing wrong taking a car with aftermarket parts/tuning to a dealer for minor work (oil change), knowing warranty has been voided. The issue is the dealer did something he wasn't asked to do, or, was told not to do and went ahead anyway...
I took in for only a oil change. The shop did one oil change before and made many comments about the supercharger. Got supercharged emblems on both sides.. Service advisor admitted he f'ed up (his words) and will never service modded again.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:56 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Too late now and can't undo what happened, but another reason to do your own oil changes. Too many instances when dealerships screw up.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Originally Posted by ojm
How does joe average corvette buyer even know about a tuner whatever that is if buys nearly new? TIA

good luck op all the same

ps why do we get no time to edit posts, most forums give us some time?
Not sure what you mean by time limitation. Have never been limited on time for editing. Sometimes when editing a post I have walked away from the PC for an hour or so because I was called to do something else in the house.

Bill
Old 02-14-2018, 02:10 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not sure what you mean by time limitation. Have never been limited on time for editing. Sometimes when editing a post I have walked away from the PC for an hour or so because I was called to do something else in the house.

Bill
TRY editing your post above here!-- No time delay before it shows you edited.

Last edited by 6spdC6; 02-14-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:41 AM
Metalgearsolid_x
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

You should have put a BIG 8.5" x 11" paper taped on the steering wheel in 72 font "DO NOT perform any other services other than oil change. Car is tuned due to supercharger". YOu still can flat bed it to the original tuner. Bc dealer asking a third party to RE-tune, it's going to be a much bigger mess. Not to mention, dealer will charge you these fees. Sign up for AAA.. wait a week. Have the car towed (flatbed) to the original tuner. Problem solved.

Last edited by Metalgearsolid_x; 02-15-2018 at 02:41 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:11 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by BuLion
Both my Camaro's are tuned and both have tuner installed security on top of the OEM s/w to NOT allow a dealership to reprogram ECM/TCM. Plus, they gave us the programming tool with both stock and tuned cal if ever we wanted to reverse, refresh or adjust. Livernois did our calibrations and the security is standard protocol, apparently this is not a common practice? Might have stopped the reflash which cause OP the issues.
Sounds like your tune is locked; is that correct?

For the OP, I think it could be blame on both sides but trying to get the dealer to pay for any damage is going to be uphill unless it's an understanding dealer. Gotta say tho, this is one car I hope I don't buy at some later date.

Good luck.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:28 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 435 Likes on 269 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by 6spdC6
No time delay before it shows you edited.
It used to be that CF gave you 5 minutes or so to edit a post without tagging it as edited. Several years ago that changed so that it is immediately flagged. Don't know why it changed but sure never seemed very important.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:28 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harry
It used to be that CF gave you 5 minutes or so to edit a post without tagging it as edited. Several years ago that changed so that it is immediately flagged. Don't know why it changed but sure never seemed very important.
I didn't know it was 5 minutes, but whatever it was, it was better. It meant you didn't have that stupid underline after your last sentence. If I edit, I hit enter a bunch of times and then put a period. It moves the line away from the post.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:05 PM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by chefcg1
If the car was driven without going into boost you should not have had any issues.

Your tuner should have the tune file and can simply flash it for you at a minimal cost to you. I have had 2 oil changes at dealer after supercharging without issue. Hope you get it worked out.
I asked my tuner Andy from A&A corvette for my tune file incase something like this happened and he was run over by a bus I would be SOL. I can load that file with HP tuner anytime. call your tuner if he is far away and he can email your tune, then get someone to load it
Old 02-16-2018, 09:47 PM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Are all of you aware that I has asked the administrator to rename that thread started on 11-2-2017 "GM suspension tune update" to "GM suspension tune upgrade"
because that is what it is. if you call dealer and say update they will look for updates and there are non. If you say upgrade half the dealers don't know either but those that do understand that that is a $350 upgrade. That thread was renamed last week per my request and admin asked the OP which the OP renamed.

To the OP, please edit your title.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:57 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

A thread starter cannot edit a title. That can only be done by someone with moderator/administrator access.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:14 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

This seems pretty cut and dry to me.
If the anti-theft issue was actually corrected, then the dealer who did the re-flash, did the exact right thing.
Obviously it will overwrite the previous program, but that is to be expected.
Seems like the only problem here is that the way things happened was just unexpected by the original poster.
No big deal. Go have the tuner update accordingly and see what happens.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:53 PM
Koan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

This is why I went with Callaway. It was only expensive once.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:23 PM
5150mike
Heel & Toe

Default Update

Just picked up car today. Got it dyno tuned. Dealer paid for everything plus refund of oil change. No hassle. Just took awhile to get into the tune shop..
The following users liked this post:
DWS44 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 04:27 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 5150mike
just picked up car today. Got it dyno tuned. Dealer paid for everything plus refund of oil change. No hassle. Just took awhile to get into the tune shop..
great! ---
Old 03-16-2018, 05:32 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,976 Likes on 2,879 Posts

Originally Posted by ojm
How does joe average corvette buyer even know about a tuner whatever that is if buys nearly new? TIA

good luck op all the same

ps why do we get no time to edit posts, most forums give us some time?
Exactly!

This, is why anyone who can buy new, should buy new. The discounts available mitigate and offset to a large extent, the buying new upcharge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil change disaster