Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I bought a C7 at 20

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 11:14 PM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

Good luck kid.... Keeping up with the Joneses is a bitch.... Now you got this out of the way... (well 6 more years of paying). What the Hell were you thinking? What were your parents thinking? You don't get to eat desert before Dinner!!!
The following users liked this post:
LiberatedLuis (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 11:20 PM
LiberatedLuis
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NASTYC7
Good luck kid.... Keeping up with the Joneses is a bitch.... Now you got this out of the way... (well 6 more years of paying). What the Hell were you thinking? What were your parents thinking? You don't get to eat desert before Dinner!!!
My parents have a lot of confidence in me and my ability to earn money. There is no way in hell I'm paying the car in 6 years lol.. There are many, many more who have even nicer cars at younger ages, there parents did the same thing. In the age of the internet anyone can make a killing.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:25 PM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by LiberatedLuis
My parents have a lot of confidence in me and my ability to earn money. There is no way in hell I'm paying the car in 6 years lol.. There are many, many more who have even nicer cars at younger ages, there parents did the same thing. In the age of the internet anyone can make a killing.
Just bustin your ***** kid.

Keep focused and never give up....
LiberatedLuis (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 11:32 PM
LiberatedLuis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NASTYC7
Just bustin your ***** kid.

Keep focused and never give up....
Haha don't bust to many *****! Remember what happened to that mob boss in Goodfellas?
Old 02-14-2018, 11:49 PM
Pzilly
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

it's not new it's a 2015, though it had 5600 miles (:
Doesn't need to be new, so many people throw away good money on new, when a slightly used low mile car is many thousands less, my 17 I did buy brand new, but I literally bought it for 350 dollars over what auction value was if the car had 4000-6000 miles on it, plus I save 1500 on the corvette racing school, and got a tax credit, so in current market here it made sense plus it was December I traded a beautiful lifted 4wd duramax I had built 5 years ago and rarely drove anymore, after many negotiations the manager literally said " well id rather drive that around my snowy lot then push that vette around so lets make the deal". Deals are numbers, and my golden rule is "Dont fall in love, the deal is in the numbers and the rest is just math" and my Silver rule is "they make more everyday, and theres another one down the street".

I bought my first vette at 18, its a C4 and had about 5k miles on it back then, I worked hard for it and 25 or so years later I still have it, so congrats. Hell we have a few nice vehicles around here but one of my favorites is an 05 suburban I bought at auction 2 years ago for 4500 bucks, put 2k in it and have driven it from Pa to CO and all through the rockies having a ball, it stays at my friends out west for winter fun out there but people laugh when I tell them I miss the burb hahaha, it just proves to me it's not always about the price of the car, but the adventures it can take you on, so go have some adventures brother, just be safe and be Kind!

While I did graduate HS I could have done what I'm doing with out doing so, but I am glad I did, education is never a bad thing. Reason I say that is there is a new trend coming, many big corporations these days actually do not want college grads, Penske for one has been seeking new hires with HS diploma but little to no college because many colleges and universities have gotten so far out of touch with how the world really works that it is costing them time and money to retrain people after college.
Enjoy the internet, some days i use it too, other days to auctions, somemdays to construction sites, I can't do the same thing everynday hahahaha

Last edited by Pzilly; 02-14-2018 at 11:51 PM.
LiberatedLuis (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:06 AM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on the car! My first one was a 3 year old c6 when I was 21, and my first new one was a '14 when I was 27. I didn't do anything special other than find a niche career that didn't require excessive years in college and payed well, and I pinched my pennies. Buying a Corvette is rarely a good financial decision and I'm sure you'll get a lot of heat for it on this forum since you live at home, financed, cosigner, etc, but in this day and age, there are also many ways you could use the car to generate revenue. I get the feeling that's what you plan to do, and hope you have much success. If it doesn't work out, you can always sell, lose a couple grand, and move on. A used C7 won't depreciate too rapidly unless you overpaid when you bought it.

Last edited by Mr Guns; 02-15-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:22 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,999 Likes on 2,887 Posts

IMHO, it's not worth it to buy used, when you can get a new, no miles car for a few hundred more, than a 4K to 6K miles used car. Doesn't make sense.

There's one guy on forum here that sold his used C7 with like 10K+ miles IIRC, for more than his next new one cost him. That's how cheap some of us are buying when buying at a large discount off MSRP from a motivated Chev. dealer.

So many used C7s have been tuned, or driven hard and dumped - there's no way to compete with new, for a few bucks more.

I'm relatively certain I could get most of my dollars back on what I paid for my discounted, new 2017 3LT.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:21 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

I'm not a fan of the whole compounding game, at least not in a keynesian economy. I prefer to handle my own investments. Passive investments can be good, but active investments that you put grit and hustle into... They can yield far more.
you had me, until you made this statement...some on line schooling in finance/econ MIGHT shed some light.
The following 2 users liked this post by kitesurfer:
LiberatedLuis (02-15-2018), millers1 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:08 AM
Millerrock
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Congrats.

Have you started a retirement account or have other investments? (Yeah, I'm a Debbie Downer, but it's still good advice)

F all that, can’t take it with you, burn it all once you get it, buy everything you want, F the world, and global warming.

I hear the same **** from my family and guess what, there miserable!
Old 02-15-2018, 07:32 AM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Congrats! I bought my first 1969 Corvette when I was 21 and it was a lot more fun than buying one when I was older. I hope you are a Corvette owner for life! Enjoy your new car and glad you made some money on the internet!
Old 02-15-2018, 08:50 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Lol, lives at home, but owns a vette.. lucky you’re not my kid... you’d be living in that car.
The following 2 users liked this post by rrsperry:
millers1 (02-15-2018), Skid Row Joe (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 08:55 AM
CocoVette
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm not interested in the car so much, as I am the connections I've been able to build having owned the car. It stands out among my peer group, it's more of a marketing prop than anything! Worst comes to worse all my businesses flop, I'm in the rat race, and I'm working at wal-mart!
So did you just get the car to look cool, or because you love corvettes? Do you know anything about the car you got, it's heritage, mechanically what it can do, etc? ... At 32, my "peers" are wondering how I'm driving a car like that, I can only imagine at 20 what they're thinking...

Last edited by CocoVette; 02-15-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:49 AM
ChoppinVette
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

20 years old, living at home, no money down, $1000 a month?? I don't really see any accomplishment here.

I'm going to be 28, just bought a brand new house with 20% down, own my vehicles and paying for my wedding in may in cash... now that's an accomplishment. Also working on paying down my 100k in student loans...down to 37k now before I can buy my own vette.

Reality is going to be rough for you since you've never paid rent before... my parents would make me pay rent to them before spending that kind of money on a car.

Not to rain on your parade, but it sounds like you have no sound future plan. Just rolling on the current cash you're making with no thoughts to the future you. Buying the expense car to impress people you don't even know. SMH.
The following 6 users liked this post by ChoppinVette:
Baltimoron (02-15-2018), hangman (02-15-2018), Kevin A Jones (02-15-2018), LiberatedLuis (02-15-2018), Skid Row Joe (02-15-2018), UsernameProtected (02-16-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:21 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Some buzz kills in here...
The following 2 users liked this post by sTz:
Skid Row Joe (02-15-2018), WKM (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:35 AM
hangman
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ChoppinVette
20 years old, living at home, no money down, $1000 a month?? I don't really see any accomplishment here.

I'm going to be 28, just bought a brand new house with 20% down, own my vehicles and paying for my wedding in may in cash... now that's an accomplishment. Also working on paying down my 100k in student loans...down to 37k now before I can buy my own vette.

Reality is going to be rough for you since you've never paid rent before... my parents would make me pay rent to them before spending that kind of money on a car.

Not to rain on your parade, but it sounds like you have no sound future plan. Just rolling on the current cash you're making with no thoughts to the future you. Buying the expense car to impress people you don't even know. SMH.
Not to mention that just his car payment @ $770/month for 6 years, he's paying $55,440 for a 3 year old 2015 base 2lt. You can get a brand new one for that price.

Last edited by hangman; 02-15-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:37 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

line of old guys wanting to **** on luis shoes.....

huah!

Keep up the good outlook it will take you far
at 20 I was running the streets or behind bars taking county paid vacations
Help your dad out if hes struggling. Dont know about anyone else but was paying 200 a mo rent at 15 to help the family times have changed. Sure your dad is proud of you but sounds like he could use a little help . You got a pm

Cant help but wonder one day if more will be doing this and not sitting in traffic all day for that hourly job. If there will be many left

Last edited by cv67; 02-15-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:15 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,999 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by ChoppinVette

Everyone is entitled to fail in America. He's 20, apparently lives at home. You're 28 and likely highly educated with an advanced college degree of 4 years or more. Furthermore, you've got work experience in the workplace, and support yourself financially. Check the literacy level of some postings here. The ones with high school or perhaps less, may reflect a thing or two in general literacy and reasoning abilities. College graduates earn in excess of $1,000,000.00 more in their working lifetimes. College graduates also benefit from dramatically lower unemployment.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 02-15-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To I bought a C7 at 20

Old 02-15-2018, 02:02 PM
LiberatedLuis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pzilly
Doesn't need to be new, so many people throw away good money on new, when a slightly used low mile car is many thousands less, my 17 I did buy brand new, but I literally bought it for 350 dollars over what auction value was if the car had 4000-6000 miles on it, plus I save 1500 on the corvette racing school, and got a tax credit, so in current market here it made sense plus it was December I traded a beautiful lifted 4wd duramax I had built 5 years ago and rarely drove anymore, after many negotiations the manager literally said " well id rather drive that around my snowy lot then push that vette around so lets make the deal". Deals are numbers, and my golden rule is "Dont fall in love, the deal is in the numbers and the rest is just math" and my Silver rule is "they make more everyday, and theres another one down the street".

I bought my first vette at 18, its a C4 and had about 5k miles on it back then, I worked hard for it and 25 or so years later I still have it, so congrats. Hell we have a few nice vehicles around here but one of my favorites is an 05 suburban I bought at auction 2 years ago for 4500 bucks, put 2k in it and have driven it from Pa to CO and all through the rockies having a ball, it stays at my friends out west for winter fun out there but people laugh when I tell them I miss the burb hahaha, it just proves to me it's not always about the price of the car, but the adventures it can take you on, so go have some adventures brother, just be safe and be Kind!

While I did graduate HS I could have done what I'm doing with out doing so, but I am glad I did, education is never a bad thing. Reason I say that is there is a new trend coming, many big corporations these days actually do not want college grads, Penske for one has been seeking new hires with HS diploma but little to no college because many colleges and universities have gotten so far out of touch with how the world really works that it is costing them time and money to retrain people after college.
Enjoy the internet, some days i use it too, other days to auctions, somemdays to construction sites, I can't do the same thing everynday hahahaha
I loved this post! I'm surprised you still have your C4 lol! That's really cool bro. Yes colleges are big subsidized business now, the institutions, and the lenders are in bed to short end the students. Education quality has decreased because it means more students can enroll, and pass; meaning more money. I can't wait to take my vette on a long cruise lol..
Old 02-15-2018, 02:04 PM
LiberatedLuis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr Guns
Congrats on the car! My first one was a 3 year old c6 when I was 21, and my first new one was a '14 when I was 27. I didn't do anything special other than find a niche career that didn't require excessive years in college and payed well, and I pinched my pennies. Buying a Corvette is rarely a good financial decision and I'm sure you'll get a lot of heat for it on this forum since you live at home, financed, cosigner, etc, but in this day and age, there are also many ways you could use the car to generate revenue. I get the feeling that's what you plan to do, and hope you have much success. If it doesn't work out, you can always sell, lose a couple grand, and move on. A used C7 won't depreciate too rapidly unless you overpaid when you bought it.
Haha thanks for this post! That is what I plan to do exactly, and I talked the seller down very low, compared to market price; I could sell and possibly break even. That's good that you were able to succeed in a niche career!

Originally Posted by kitesurfer
you had me, until you made this statement...some on line schooling in finance/econ MIGHT shed some light.
Everyone has their opinion on what is good for them and bad! I've taken plenty of financial courses, and have been trained by The World Financial Group on investing and compound interest. I just don't think it's within my interest to put money that I can leverage now away, not unless I'm very wealthy; and it's within my interest to do that.

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Lol, lives at home, but owns a vette.. lucky you’re not my kid... you’d be living in that car.
Every circumstance is different, and so is every family. (:

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-15-2018 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner to make your responses look like this!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:09 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I can't believe you are actually sitting on the rear hatch.

That is the dead give away that he does not own this car...

Quick Reply: I bought a C7 at 20