I bought a C7 at 20

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 06:12 PM
LiberatedLuis
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Congrats.

Have you started a retirement account or have other investments? (Yeah, I'm a Debbie Downer, but it's still good advice)
No not yet I don't invest in anything market related. I don't have any investment accounts, all investments I make are for businesses exclusively, along with a pretty nice savings account! (:

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I bought my 2015 C7 at 66 and I graduated high school- so much for the value of an education...
Different time, education is a click away now! lol

Originally Posted by patentcad
Congrats kid.

This can't end well. But therein lies the adventure.

Just keep the rubber side down. Respect the power of the car, it's a little ridiculous. You know like handing trump the nuclear football.
She's definitely the funnest car I've owned. It's the first v8 I've owned and driven, the closest car in power that I've owned was a 3.5 l v6 350z. Doesn't compare, but I drive like a grandma unless there's a special circumstance like a long stretch of freeway at night with no cars in sight.

Originally Posted by PobreWey
Rather that.... take my advice... if you did not pay cash for the car... make as many extra payments as you can and research interest. That will make you more responsible and depending on your interest rate you will end up doing better than investing. Learn about interest and then learn about investing.

I will check out your video later.
My APR is 4.5% with a monthly payment of 770$ and an insurance payment of 110$. All under my parent's wing, they really trust me lol

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I can't believe you are actually sitting on the rear hatch.
It's actually really sturdy! I was more afraid of damaging the spoiler lol

Originally Posted by Jaylars
Congrats. Advise: Don't let ANYONE sit on your Vette. Sit in it, it's more fun that way. Both clear coat and plastic/carbon fiber will thank you.
I was wearing some soft jumpers, and I have a nice wax coat over the top... didn't do any harm

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-15-2018 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner to make your responses look like this!
Old 02-14-2018, 06:27 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

So, to the OP. In whose house are you making the video? Do you own your own home in the neighborhood where the video was made? Whose yard is the car parked in?
Who bought you the lap top to start your business? Who made the video? If your business is anything like your video.............? Is the vehicle paid for? What are your insurance payments. What kind of health insurance do you have? Do you have a retirement plan? What savings do you have when the bottom falls out (and like most entrepreneurs, it will)? You made enough money in six months to purchase the car?
You sound like a fairly intelligent young man. What, exactly, is your business? Just asking a few questions.
If it is all true, congrats. Lots of red flags for me. Enjoy the ride.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:41 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,078 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

I thought I was young when I got my first one when I was 28 . How time flies by now on #12 and 52 years old and this one is my last one! Congrats and may you own many more!
The following users liked this post:
LiberatedLuis (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 06:55 PM
LiberatedLuis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rkhegler
So, to the OP. In whose house are you making the video? Do you own your own home in the neighborhood where the video was made? Whose yard is the car parked in?
Who bought you the lap top to start your business? Who made the video? If your business is anything like your video.............? Is the vehicle paid for? What are your insurance payments. What kind of health insurance do you have? Do you have a retirement plan? What savings do you have when the bottom falls out (and like most entrepreneurs, it will)? You made enough money in six months to purchase the car?
You sound like a fairly intelligent young man. What, exactly, is your business? Just asking a few questions.
If it is all true, congrats. Lots of red flags for me. Enjoy the ride.
The house is my parents I do not own my own home (yet). The car is garaged in our home. I have the newest car out of all my family members, the newest car is a 2011 Lexus es350, my dad drives a banged up van. They helped me buy it by cosigning on the financing, they did so because of my good name. No arrests no tickets, responsibility. I bought my computer parts earning a bit of money of the years since I was 13 years old. I made the video, the audio quality is not very good; but it was my first video lol. My businesses are all online based. I do occasionally make sales where I live, but the internet is my primary source of income. The vehicle is financed, insurance is 110 under my parents plan. I'd rather not disclose that. My retirement plan is get as wealthy as I can, saving 10% of every dollar I earn in a savings account. I have bottomed out several times, I have a very good savings account. I buy used items, refurbish, customize, and sell them for a profit on ebay, and my own store using shopify. As well as buy products from Asia using Alibaba, and Aliexpress; and market them using Social Media.

Last edited by LiberatedLuis; 02-14-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:20 PM
PobreWey
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LiberatedLuis
My APR is 4.5% with a monthly payment of 770$ and an insurance payment of 110$. All under my parent's wing, they really trust me lol
That's perfect for a 2015. Hard to get lower for a used Vette. Great job! Enjoy the car. The silver looks great
Old 02-14-2018, 07:27 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

New C3 @ 25 for cash here. A LOT of scratch to come up with.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:29 PM
CocoVette
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 90 Posts

just curious, how much did you have to put down to get that price, and how many years is the loan for?
Old 02-14-2018, 07:34 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Congrats.

Have you started a retirement account or have other investments? (Yeah, I'm a Debbie Downer, but it's still good advice)
Best advise here.

Sooner a young guy in his early 20s begins his retirement account, the sooner AND easier it is to become a millionaire.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 02-14-2018 at 07:35 PM.
kitesurfer (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 07:42 PM
LiberatedLuis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PobreWey
That's perfect for a 2015. Hard to get lower for a used Vette. Great job! Enjoy the car. The silver looks great
I got a really great deal! I talked the seller down from 45k to 42.5 It was a steal at 5600 miles lol

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
New C3 @ 25 for cash here. A LOT of scratch to come up with.
It'll be a fun challenge!

Originally Posted by CocoVette
just curious, how much did you have to put down to get that price, and how many years is the loan for?
I didn't put anything down, I cosigned with my parents. They have a great credit score in the high 800's. The loan is for 6 years!

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Best advise here.

Sooner a young guy in his early 20s begins his retirement account, the sooner AND easier it is to become a millionaire.

I'm not a fan of the whole compounding game, at least not in a keynesian economy. I prefer to handle my own investments. Passive investments can be good, but active investments that you put grit and hustle into... They can yield far more.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-15-2018 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner to make your responses look like this!
WKM (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 07:59 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Congrats on busting the stereotype

It's genuinely cool to see you blow up the stereotype of the typical Vette Owner (of which I am a part of)....well done young sir, well done
The following 4 users liked this post by dbirdhouse1:
LiberatedLuis (02-14-2018), Skid Row Joe (02-14-2018), Soonere39 (05-13-2018), WKM (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 08:17 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Congrats on the Corvette. I got my first Corvette a 1967 the last month I was in high school in 1976 I was 18 years old. I paid $3,700 for it. I got a $3,000 loan that my parents cosigned for. When I bought my second Corvette two years later I didn't need a cosigner anymore. At age 24 I bought my first new Corvette a 1982. I now own a 2016 convertible that I bought new it is number 26!!!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:08 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Just have fun, and don't caught speeding.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:09 PM
kc stingray
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

good job and be proud of your accomplishment!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:20 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

Congrats on buying your "dream car" at a young age. Like Merkur, on one hand I feel happy for you because it's any car guy's dream to own a car like a Corvette at such a young age.

On the other hand I agree with a few obvious things that many other probably feel as well. By the way, your honesty should be applauded in terms of telling us how much you are paying monthly and the price of the car and all that.

Now $880 for the car payment and insurance a month + gas + maintenance puts you over $1000 a month for transportation. That's a mortgage for some people, especially in states with lower cost of living.

As others have already pointed out, it's great when the money is rolling in. But if it doesn't, that's a big payment for a car to be on the hook for that can become your parents' liability.

I would stay away from any additional expensive purchase for a long time if I were you, at least until you buy your first house and can get your own loan.

You sound like you are smart enough to become successful so work hard and build off your initial success. Take the advice that you get here in a constructive way and don't be deterred or think it's negativity. Trust me, we all thought we knew it all in our 20s and we all could've used some good advice.

Good Luck, enjoy the Vette but respect the car and others on the road!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:35 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,402 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Nice ride! Congrats
Old 02-14-2018, 09:40 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Congrats Luis, welcome to CorvetteForum.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:34 PM
hangman
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm not a fan of the whole compounding game, at least not in a keynesian economy. I prefer to handle my own investments. Passive investments can be good, but active investments that you put grit and hustle into... They can yield far more.

Congrats on the nice car. But, I’ll be the a$$hole and say it. In my opinion, if you’re living out of your parents home, and taking a 6 year loan that your parents have to co-sign for you to pay for a used car, then you can’t really afford it.

Last edited by hangman; 02-14-2018 at 10:35 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by hangman:
09ZR1 (02-15-2018), 427muscle (02-17-2018), Baltimoron (02-15-2018), ChoppinVette (02-15-2018), Kevin A Jones (02-15-2018), kubesh (02-18-2018), millers1 (02-15-2018), mtnman (02-16-2018), owc6 (02-14-2018) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Get notified of new replies

To I bought a C7 at 20

Old 02-14-2018, 10:36 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by GOC
Congrats on buying your "dream car" at a young age. Like Merkur, on one hand I feel happy for you because it's any car guy's dream to own a car like a Corvette at such a young age.

On the other hand I agree with a few obvious things that many other probably feel as well. By the way, your honesty should be applauded in terms of telling us how much you are paying monthly and the price of the car and all that.

Now $880 for the car payment and insurance a month + gas + maintenance puts you over $1000 a month for transportation. That's a mortgage for some people, especially in states with lower cost of living.

As others have already pointed out, it's great when the money is rolling in. But if it doesn't, that's a big payment for a car to be on the hook for that can become your parents' liability.

I would stay away from any additional expensive purchase for a long time if I were you, at least until you buy your first house and can get your own loan.

You sound like you are smart enough to become successful so work hard and build off your initial success. Take the advice that you get here in a constructive way and don't be deterred or think it's negativity. Trust me, we all thought we knew it all in our 20s and we all could've used some good advice.

Well said. He also has to keep in mind that he put nothing down on a 6 year loan so he will have negative equity right away, which may need to be factored in if he needed to unload the car in the short term.

So, when I first saw this I was hoping when he said he bought his Corvette that he paid cash or something but nothing down and $1000 a month for a car while living at home? I hope that business keeps rolling.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:00 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by hangman

Congrats on the nice car. But, I’ll be the a$$hole and say it. In my opinion, if you’re living out of your parents home, and taking a 6 year loan that your parents have to co-sign for you to pay for a used car, then you can’t really afford it.
Yep, should have kept the Corolla and put the $1000 a month in the bank or invested and save for a starter home or invest it in the business. Toys can come later.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:05 PM
LiberatedLuis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
Congrats on the Corvette. I got my first Corvette a 1967 the last month I was in high school in 1976 I was 18 years old. I paid $3,700 for it. I got a $3,000 loan that my parents cosigned for. When I bought my second Corvette two years later I didn't need a cosigner anymore. At age 24 I bought my first new Corvette a 1982. I now own a 2016 convertible that I bought new it is number 26!!!
That's freaking cool ED! Number 26? What do you mean?

Originally Posted by GOC

Thanks for the sound feedback! Yea it is pretty expensive, I didn't expect to shellout so much for just an oil change, and it does eat gas. I do have a 2008 Corolla that I daily though! The 'Vette is more of a weekend car lol

Originally Posted by falcon5619
Yep, should have kept the Corolla and put the $1000 a month in the bank or invested and save for a starter home or invest it in the business. Toys can come later.
I'm not interested in the car so much, as I am the connections I've been able to build having owned the car. It stands out among my peer group, it's more of a marketing prop than anything! Worst comes to worse all my businesses flop, I'm in the rat race, and I'm working at wal-mart!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-15-2018 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner to make your responses look like this!

Quick Reply: I bought a C7 at 20