Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

State Inspection

Old 02-14-2018, 05:50 PM
Guitarking1
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts
Default State Inspection

I purchased my 2018 Grand Sport out of state last month and had it shipped here to Texas, which I received last week. Today, I took it to a local Chevrolet dealer to get it inspected which is required for state registration. Dealer inspects it and says it's ready to go.

I then motor on down to the country assessor's office to pay my taxes and register it. We look at the inspection report and it says the car failed inspection.

I run back to the dealer and they say it won't pass emissions inspection until I put at least 150 miles on the car (it had around 70 at the time of inspection). I've never heard that....is that true? And if so, how do new Vettes sold in state pass inspection? Curious minds want to know.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:03 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 878 Likes on 464 Posts

Dealer was telling you the truth. Go drive it for a few days and enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
Guitarking1 (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 08:21 PM
MITCH
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarking1
I purchased my 2018 Grand Sport out of state last month and had it shipped here to Texas, which I received last week. Today, I took it to a local Chevrolet dealer to get it inspected which is required for state registration. Dealer inspects it and says it's ready to go.

I then motor on down to the country assessor's office to pay my taxes and register it. We look at the inspection report and it says the car failed inspection.

I run back to the dealer and they say it won't pass emissions inspection until I put at least 150 miles on the car (it had around 70 at the time of inspection). I've never heard that....is that true? And if so, how do new Vettes sold in state pass inspection? Curious minds want to know.
In ny the first 2 years is safety only so no nee to drive it.
Mitch
Guitarking1 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 08:34 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

yeah this is correct takes the monitors longer than 70 miles to get ready on most cars.

drive it a couple of days. go back

in NY its a safety so they don't plug in to OBD2

in NJ you get a 5 year new car dealer sticker. there is no test. if you purchase out of state you go to the DMV inspection station with your paperwork and they will give you a 5 year sticker

Last edited by 6spdg37s; 02-14-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Guitarking1 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 08:42 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

The ECM (car computer) has to run several monitors that involve self checking the emissions system. There are ways to force some of the self checks but that is a technical long winded explanation that I can't get into at the moment. By driving the car and going through several cycles, engine running, engine off, sitting overnight (yes monitors are turned on overnight when you think the car is 'off') along with driving at certain speeds, those different parameters in a nutshell will eventually set the monitors to PASS or OK. As long as the check engine light (CEL) does not come on the car should be fine after a few cycles. Good luck and check out my automotive repair channel Ozzstar on YouTube if you get a chance. -Glen
The following 3 users liked this post by Ozzstar:
Crossed Flags Fan (02-16-2018), Guitarking1 (02-15-2018), kenownr (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 09:38 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Wow!!! I'm glad we don't have any state inspections in Florida!!!

Guitarking1 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 10:11 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

Not sure how it goes in TX, but in CA, we have what they call a Referee Program by the smog dept. that can inspect the car to make sure it's new and is 50 state legal and then just basically overwrites the system and passes it. In CA we had to drive thousands of miles before it would register with the test machine so it was totally worth it to get it done with the referee. There should be a thread that discusses it on here. Maybe check to see if there is such program in TX.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:02 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Many people have run into this, mostly out of state buyers in California.

I bought out of state and live in NY which has state inspections BUT on brand new cars all it has to pass is the safety portion of the inspection, they don't do the emissions part on new cars. I would have passed anyways as I drove back from Macmulkin to WNY so it was over 450 miles.

I got mine inspected at a private shop and not a dealership. Again I am in NY , so it might not apply in Texas.

If you have a smart phone (apple or android) I suggest buying a Bluetooth (android) or wifi (iphone) OBDII dongle and use the "torque" app. It will show you which monitors are ready or not. (plus reset or check codes, etc) That way you know if it will pass or fail before you go back again. They run about $20 on amazon.

Last edited by Grimlock13; 02-15-2018 at 01:05 AM.
Guitarking1 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:40 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,873 Posts

Bought a new 2017 C7 in Texas, November 2017. Came with a 2 year safety inspection / registration sticker and Texas license plates. How'd it then pass that inspection with only 28 miles on it?
Guitarking1 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 04:03 AM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 229 Posts

The OP purchased the car out of state. You purchased in state.
The following 2 users liked this post by ls777z:
Guitarking1 (02-15-2018), woodsguy (02-28-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:21 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Bought a new 2017 C7 in Texas, November 2017. Came with a 2 year safety inspection / registration sticker and Texas license plates. How'd it then pass that inspection with only 28 miles on it?
My thoughts as well. Almost the very first thing a local dealer does when receiving new car inventory is to do the state inspection and apply the Texas inspection sticker (actual inspection stickers no longer applied in Texas starting a couple of years ago). It obviously must be a safety only inspection as those new cars have very little miles on them. For the OP receiving a car from out of state, it might be new but not new to the State of Texas. Therefore has to pass the entire emissions protocol for the first time. And it doesn't qualify for a 2-year new car sticker even though that first emissions check will be good for 2 years. I know this from having done three NCM deliveries and driving those cars back to Texas as untitled vehicles and having to do all of the TT&L and inspection paperwork at the local county tax office myself.
Guitarking1 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:39 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Starting about 2 or 3 years ago, State of Texas adopted the "Texas 2-step" process that links car inspections with license plate renewals by requiring vehicles pass inspection within 90 days prior to license plate renewal. At that same time, the actual inspection sticker was obsoleted. Now, if you have an within-date valid registration sticker, that is in itself evidence that the vehicle passed inspection.

Prior to the Texas 2-Step, an out of state vehicle brought into state had to be inspected prior to registering that vehicle. The Inspector would give you a "green sheet" inspection certificate that you filed with the tax office when applying for a Tx title. In recent years, it was no longer on green paper but long time mechanics will know what you mean when you say you need a "green sheet" inspection certificate. I don't remember but that inspection certificate might be somewhat different than the standard certificate for current Texas titled vehicles. Now that we are doing the Texas 2-Step, I don't know if the "green sheet" inspection certificate is still done. At the very least, the OP's dealer should have given him an inspection certificate piece of paper if the car really passed. That piece of paper is evidence that the car passed if the tax office can't verify it thru the state DPS computer network. It obviously did not.

Last edited by GOLD72; 02-15-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Guitarking1 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 08:44 AM
rogergcam
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06

ME TOO!
Guitarking1 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:37 AM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Dealer was telling you the truth. Go drive it for a few days and enjoy.
and it may take even more than 150 depending on operation
Old 02-15-2018, 10:45 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 878 Likes on 464 Posts

Emissions testing = another $$$Tax. Just another way to generate money for the states. If a state wants to be honest about it then require it on older vehicles. Not brand new ones.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:45 AM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06

Or Front License Plates
Old 02-15-2018, 10:47 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,967 Likes on 1,029 Posts

There is a drive cycle you can run if you want to speed the results, although ordinary driving for a while will get it. This is the common one on the internet, but it isn't completely accurate as the fuel tank needs to be between 15-85% for the EVAP test and a few other things (had issues with my EVAP test once as the tank was full), but you can probably get enough done with it (most states allow 1 or 2 "not readys" and still pass.

You'll also note the rest over night is not because the sensors are doing testing over night, but that the cold start needs to happen with the IAT and Coolant temp close to each other.

Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.

Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.

Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.

Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.
JohnFredson (02-27-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To State Inspection

Old 02-15-2018, 11:41 AM
phil hunter
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

It can take a lot longer than 150 miles. My car took nearly 1000 miles to pass. GM issued a Bulletin on this issue. Here it is:
Attached Images  

Last edited by phil hunter; 02-15-2018 at 11:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by phil hunter:
blkvet6 (02-16-2018), z28lt1 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 12:20 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,873 Posts

OP, put a bottle of RXP in your C7 fuel tank. Auto Zones should carry it. That lying dirtbag scammer on 5.70AM KLIF radio, Ed Wallace recommends it works before emissions testing by allowing a complete combustion/burn.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 02-15-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:51 PM
Newdude
Pro

Received 491 Likes on 244 Posts

Strange. Up here in NY, the first two inspections on a new vehicle are safety only, then after that its safety/emissions. Does Texas test safety/emissions at the first inspection?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: State Inspection